Code of Conduct

Default Usher VIP.. Overlooked and underappreciated.

Usher VIP, although a celebrity fragrance, is anything but that. Usually mass marketers or mainstream frags tend to play it safe by doing something more common; as well as celeb frags. While VIP isn't exactly 100% unique, it definitley takes more of a risk. It reminds me of a more wearable Polo Explorer. As much as I enjoy Explorer, it's very difficult to wear. VIP has this awesome pine and cypress thing going on, with a very synthetic element to it that actually makes it easier to wear. A cypress fragrance without all that natural cypress smell that may be difficult for some to wear. I've been consistently getting about 6 hours from it on my skin, which is good considering it's a celeb frag, and considering it's an Usher frag. Usher had below average longevity and Usher UR was way way below average. I got these in a box set, each being .5 oz. In conclusion, I'd say next time you see VIP, make an extra effort to try and get a whiff. The bottle is tacky, the name isn't exactly a favorite, especially amongst Basenoters, but it is a bit different. Cypress with a synthetic edge; I wouldn't be able to detect individual notes without seeing a list and then saying "Oh, that's in there" -- it is actually a bit more complex. Anyways, not my favorite, but worth mentioning. Has anyone else tried this?

Pardon me if my typing may be off or if you find stuff shuffled around, I'm beyond tired, but really wanted to start this thread before I crash.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Usher VIP.. Overlooked and underappreciated.

Oh, I liked the bottle- so tactile ! I also love the fragrance ! Well well, a celebuscent pour moi ! Got myself a nice large sample ,courtesy of Sephora !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I've found the Usher scents to be above par as far as celibuscents go and, thanks in part to you, am planning to seek this one out sometime in the near future.

Regards!
    Last edited by NDN-01; 17th June 2010 at 01:54 AM. Reason: spelling

NO way! I'm going to get a sample.....but I'm guarded about the outcome!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

I didn't enjoy this one at all. I've tried Polo Explorer and liked it but all I got from this one was a very, very painful opening that burned my nose and then once it settled down I got a piercing note of what smelled like sweat. My sister confirmed that and said it was horrible.. I may try it again to be sure.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Its a crappy rip-off of Fahrenheit, how you could say its even worth sniffing is beyond me...
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by NDN-01 View Post
    As soon as I first tried it, I thought 'Fahrenheit,' so I went and sprayed some Fahrenheit on a tester card and yup - its almost identical, with VIP having much poorer longevity, complexity and smelling comparitively cheap. If you don't want to shell out on Fahrenheit you'd be better off buying Celsius like you linked!

This smells like Fahrenheit on top and Terre d'Hermes after 30 or so minutes. I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    As soon as I first tried it, I thought 'Fahrenheit,' so I went and sprayed some Fahrenheit on a tester card and yup - its almost identical, with VIP having much poorer longevity, complexity and smelling comparitively cheap. If you don't want to shell out on Fahrenheit you'd be better off buying Celsius like you linked!
    Doesn't smell anything like Fahrenheit to me. Fahrenheit emphasizes on the honeysuckle and a little bit of melon in the very beginning, then gets "dirtier" as it develops. Fahrenheit being my absolute favorite fragrance ever made, I see no similarities to VIP whatsoever. Fahrenheit is in a category by itself that is far beyond oriental, woody or any other classification. The closest thing I've seen to Fahrenheit was Lucky Number 6, which strongly resembles it in the first minute or so before it changes into a cheap synthetic mess as expected from Claiborne.

VIP is very synthetic both in smell and feeling, but nothing like Fahrenheit, it's more of a cypress/pine smell. I still highly recommend those of you that haven't tried it to give it a sniff, I wouldn't buy this blind though. Those of you who have tried it, perhaps give it another wearing. As you said you sprayed them on tester cards which doesn't really bring out anything in a fragrance, as many Basenoters can testify that fragrance may smell completely different on a card than it does on the skin. The skin helps a fragrance develop, not the juice sitting on paper. If you check out magazine such as GQ and MAXIM, you'll notice these fragrance sample inserts that only offer you the top notes to smell with no development. I'm not saying fragrances can't develop on paper, but your skin isn't paper, so it's best to actually wear something.

As for "Celsius" -- I don't bother with imitations unless they're like a buck, then I may use it as a room spray. Buying a bottle of VIP @ Macy's won't be any cheaper than a smaller bottle of Fahrenheit.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 18th June 2010 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Doesn't smell anything like Fahrenheit to me. Fahrenheit emphasizes on the honeysuckle and a little bit of melon in the very beginning, then gets "dirtier" as it develops. Fahrenheit being my absolute favorite fragrance ever made, I see no similarities to VIP whatsoever. Fahrenheit is in a category by itself that is far beyond oriental, woody or any other classification. The closest thing I've seen to Fahrenheit was Lucky Number 6, which strongly resembles it in the first minute or so before it changes into a cheap synthetic mess as expected from Claiborne.

VIP is very synthetic both in smell and feeling, but nothing like Fahrenheit, it's more of a cypress/pine smell. I still highly recommend those of you that haven't tried it to give it a sniff, I wouldn't buy this blind though. Those of you who have tried it, perhaps give it another wearing. As you said you sprayed them on tester cards which doesn't really bring out anything in a fragrance, as many Basenoters can testify that fragrance may smell completely different on a card than it does on the skin. The skin helps a fragrance develop, not the juice sitting on paper. If you check out magazine such as GQ and MAXIM, you'll notice these fragrance sample inserts that only offer you the top notes to smell with no development. I'm not saying fragrances can't develop on paper, but your skin isn't paper, so it's best to actually wear something.

As for "Celsius" -- I don't bother with imitations unless they're like a buck, then I may use it as a room spray. Buying a bottle of VIP @ Macy's won't be any cheaper than a smaller bottle of Fahrenheit.
    I initially sprayed VIP on my wrist & then did the tester card comparison. I used to wear Fahrenheit alot and it smelt dead-on like a cheap, poor quality clone to my nose. I'll just agree to disagree on this one, it may just be a perception thing.

Not sure if your title " overlooked and under appreciated " is correct...
    How can a fairly new (2009) fragrance be overlooked and under appreciated ?
    Give it some time to get this to the masses.
    You might have a case of this being overlooked and under appreciated if in 5 years this is still a poor seller.

But how many great frags don't get the credit that they deserve...?
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

The Celcius post was a joke. Sorry. I saw it and when I read the comparison of VIP as a cheap Farenhiet I though it was funny as the Celcius is round 5$ and the VIP is around 30$

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggy1 View Post
    Many, many excellent fragrances don't get the credit they deserve, and the vast majority of them are far more deserving than any celebuscent.

all I smelled was alcohol and only that lasted about 20 minutes on my skin. I was not included in the demographics for this fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggy1 View Post
    Not sure if your title " overlooked and under appreciated " is correct...
    How can a fairly new (2009) fragrance be overlooked and under appreciated ?
    Give it some time to get this to the masses.
    You might have a case of this being overlooked and under appreciated if in 5 years this is still a poor seller.

I agree to an extent, the problem is that fragrances that don't "make it" in malls, are off the shelves in a couple months, sometimes even less. VIP, I still see at Macy's, so it must be doing ok. I "might have a case if it were 5 years"? I don't understand, if that were the case I would have said "underappreciated and forgotten" or something along those lines. What I said was correct.. "overlooked" because people tend to pass right by it; and "underappreciated" because people don't take the time to smell it, give it a full wearing, give it a chance. The idea behind this thread was to share my opinions of the fragrance and perhaps enlighten others who are looking for something that's easy to get their hands on, that's more mainstream and that doesn't smell like everything else out there.

As for the differences in opinions of those who have tried it, I can't change peoples mind. Where some people may perceive the smell of alcohol, i get a synthetic pine aroma that takes a few minutes to settle before it turns into more of a light cypress with a little citrus. I know there's Tom Ford fragrance with a lot of cypress that this reminded me of instantly (and it's not Italian Cypress) I can't think of it, I gave it a bad review (if it even went through) only because it was far too strong, and not something very versatile and easy to wear, though the smell itself wasn't bad.. just pretty hardcore.

I'm not suggesting to buy this blind, and I'm not saying this is the best stuff, because it isn't. It is different though, so it gets my vote on that. Blue Seduction by Antonio Banderas is a different take on an aquatic.. it's tangy, yet has this soothing mint component accompanied with a cappuccino note; but a lot of people get this heavy dose of alcohol from the opening. I get a tangy citrus instead. So perhaps where others are getting this alcohol from VIP, it's more of a tangy/sharp pine/cypress. Either way, it's worth a sniff.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 19th June 2010 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Many, many excellent fragrances don't get the credit they deserve, and the vast majority of them are far more deserving than any celebuscent.
    This is true, we all tend to buy/sample the appreciated frags instead of the less known ones. This is a fact, but to be fair, I believe it's a normal thing, many of us don't have easy access to these underrated unappreciated fragrances.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Usher VIP..

all I can say is..

Oh....My...God...
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Usher VIP..

all I can say is..

Oh....My...God...
    Touche. Quite a terrible and overexposed song too.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Touche. Quite a terrible and overexposed song too.
    +1.

Actually Usher smells almost 100% like Emporio Armani, and it has the same powdery drydown... I love both in their early stages.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Usher VIP..

all I can say is..

Oh....My...God...
    +1.

The name, the VIP gimmick, this is the symbol of everything that can go wrong in perfumery.

Actually I regret making this thread lol. Ever make a thread or post a review too early.. yaaaa.. I didn't spend enough time with the fragrance to realize it's genuinely boring. Not horrible, but not something I'm gonna buy again.

Usher VIP is simply Farenheit! A MORE WEARABLE FARENHIET! When I smelled this at Macy's I started snickering, & the sales lady asked what was funny? I pointed to the bottle & said another knock off! She started shaking her head & laughing & agreed it does indeed smell just like Farenheit but more tolerable! If I was into Farenheit I would buy a bottle of Usher VIP! But since I cant stand the smell of it on me, I would not waste my time...
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

Quote Originally Posted by thatsmr2usir View Post
    Usher VIP is simply Farenheit! A MORE WEARABLE FARENHIET! When I smelled this at Macy's I started snickering, & the sales lady asked what was funny? I pointed to the bottle & said another knock off! She started shaking her head & laughing & agreed it does indeed smell just like Farenheit but more tolerable! If I was into Farenheit I would buy a bottle of Usher VIP! But since I cant stand the smell of it on me, I would not waste my time...
    You too! Not me though, but many seem the compare it Fahrenheit. I just don't get it.

Though it has been said that Fahrenheit has been significantly reformulated, I have yet to try this new juice. As for the bottle I purchased back in 2003/2004, It is NOTHING like VIP. VIP is a very synthetic smelling cypress fragrance that is sort of in the same genre with Polo Explorer (funky, different and hard to wear)

Fahrenheit (based on its 2003/2004 formulation) is my favorite fragrance ever. Beautiful honeysuckle note, combines with a super dirty feel and smell. Longevity is great and so is projection. Not to mention it is by far the most unique fragrance I've ever come across. VIP may be like 5% of Fahrenheit to me.

Last edited by thatsmr2usir; 2nd August 2010 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    You too! Not me though, but many seem the compare it Fahrenheit. I just don't get it.

Though it has been said that Fahrenheit has been significantly reformulated, I have yet to try this new juice. As for the bottle I purchased back in 2003/2004, It is NOTHING like VIP. VIP is a very synthetic smelling cypress fragrance that is sort of in the same genre with Polo Explorer (funky, different and hard to wear)

Fahrenheit (based on its 2003/2004 formulation) is my favorite fragrance ever. Beautiful honeysuckle note, combines with a super dirty feel and smell. Longevity is great and so is projection. Not to mention it is by far the most unique fragrance I've ever come across. VIP may be like 5% of Fahrenheit to me.
    Yes just about everyone I know who has smelled VIP says its Farenheits clone. & honestly the only difference I see in the 2 is that Farenheit of course is WHAM BAM! IN YOUR FACE! VIP, not so much.... But its there. I say get VIP if you like Farenhiet but feel its to over whelming, It also shared for a minute a note in Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme! Smelled like Tobacco! But I dont believe none is listed in the notes. I believe it was the Sandlewood playing tricks on my nose. VIP is not bad, but it sure is not original.. I give it a neutral for being a toned down version of Farenheit. Otherwise its crap!