Code of Conduct

Default Dolce and Gabbana Anthology

Tried these out this morning , believe the poor reviews . Even at £35 each they are overpriced . Weak watery non descript generic smelling toilet water , zero longevity , zero sillage . Great advertising , dismal product

Default Re: Dolce and Gabbana Anthology

really ? i was looking forward to these coming out still haven't had a test yet. Too bad to hear about how poor they are

they all smell like cheap shower gels or shampoos. they won't be around long, the only 'series' launch that did well mainstream this year was the harajuku lovers.

I tried them all and none of them stood out. They should just reissue By.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I'm real disappointed to hear that. ... I had really been looking forward to them !!!
    I also really quite like the idea that they were supposed to be inspired by Tarot Cards.

Le Bateleur 1,
    L'Imperatrice 3
    L'Amoureaux 6
    La Roue de la Fortune 10
    La Lune 18

Which one would you say is the better one out of the five ??? (I mean there must be one half decent one ,no ???)

Octavian reviewed them recently. Small excerpt:

"It seems that the D&G team had not enough money for fine fragrances and send their brief to the personal care division. With one exception they all smell like shampoos or body sprays and are not real perfumes."
    Last edited by tott; 27th August 2009 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    I tried them all and none of them stood out. They should just reissue By.

Does anyone know why they discontinued it?

did it do bad in sales?

I was thinking that I would perhaps prefer the "Le Bateleur" (The Magician) and La Lune (The Moon) myslef.

And in case someone is wondering, the other three are :
    L'Imperatrice (The Empress)
    La Roue de la Fortune (The Wheel of Fortune)
    "L'Amoureaux" (The Lovers)

Though all the scents are supposed to be unisex, "La Lune's" blend of lily and tuberose heart with a sandalwood base, and "L'Impératrice's" watermelon, kiwi, pink cyclamen with a musky base, are both considered more feminine.
    "Le Bateleur's" mix of aromatic top notes and cedarwood and vetiver base, and "L'Amoureux's" spicy top and middle notes of bergamot, juniper, pink pepper, cardamom, birch leaf and sensual wood and musk base, have more masculine qualities.
    When "La Roue de la Fortune", on the other hand, is considered truly unisex because of its feminine tuberose, gardenia and jasmine heart and masculine benzoin and patchouli base.
    Last edited by Sybarite; 29th August 2009 at 10:05 AM.

So after reading "Octavian" (Thanx "tott" !) ... It seems they are basically body splashes rather than "proper frags". ... How verrrrry disappointing !!! ...
    (Though he also likens them to the Zara line, and I thought two of the Zara line nice enough, and very much worth it for their price point. (But then, they were also much cheaper, and by the look of things, even better designed)

It also looks like their entire budget was blown on the models instead !

I Predict : "Look out for the "Intense" version, soon to follow ! (LOL)

I hate to echo the poor reviews of them, but they just are not good. No other way around it, they epitomize the philosophy of making the quick buck, under the false guise of the "niche" packaging. I really am trying to avoid sounding like a fragrance snob, because I truly believe in giving everything a fair shake, but they all just felt watery, unfinished, just completely derivitive waste. I was really upset too, because by the notes some sounded interesting.... well they weren't
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 27th August 2009 at 07:18 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I just did a half-hearted walk by sampling of like 3 out of the set, and they didn't seem that bad. Nothing really stood out though. *shrugs*

Blog Entries

I sampled them all. Out of all the uninspiring recent releases, D&G Anthology series ranks amongst the top most. In a head to head competition, Adidas' drug-store scents might be much better options if pitted against D&G Anthology.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

So, this is D&G's 'cashgrab'!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

typical of them
    people just get greedier these days
    ridiculous
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

These are great names and a grand project concept totally wasted on mediocre products. I totally agree with all the "cheap shower gel / shampoo" comments above - those were my thoughts exactly when I sampled them at Nordstrom the first time. I mean, with a name like "Le Bateleur" you'd expect something magical, an alchemical transformation of your soul, at the very least!

I went to pick up my son at after-school. I walked up and signed him out. Several people had been standing there for a bit. Suddenly, this little girl said "Somebody smells goooooood!"

Pretty sure it was me and my D&G No. 6 L'Amoureaux!

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    I'm real disappointed to hear that. ... I had really been looking forward to them !!!
    I also really quite like the idea that they were supposed to be inspired by Tarot Cards.

Le Bateleur 1,
    L'Imperatrice 3
    L'Amoureaux 6
    La Roue de la Fortune 10
    La Lune 18

Which one would you say is the better one out of the five ??? (I mean there must be one half decent one ,no ???)
    No.

As per my reviews in the Basenotes Directory, these scents are so bad they're hilarious:

L'Amoureaux
    La Lune
    La Roue de la Fortune
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 27th August 2009 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    No.

As per my reviews in the Basenotes Directory, these scents are so bad they're hilarious:

L'Amoureaux
    La Lune
    La Roue de la Fortune

Can they not even be considered half decent body sprays ??? Which is what they are startin to look like they've been intended as ???

Look at me, still grasping at straws here (LOL) ... I am so disappointed with this news, that I am still trying to grasp at any last hope of liking at very least one, for any reason (LOL)

Well, let me go read your reviews then ! ... I tend to agree with them, so it will give me a pretty good idea.

P.S. ... Just by the way, I see you mentioned the "non sequential numbers" in your reviews of them ... They are actually the numbers that correspond to the cards in the Tarot deck. (They are numbered exactly the same way as in the deck. In the deck they have a numerological meaning/value too !)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 27th August 2009 at 11:43 PM.

With such an excellent idea as they've had here, using the Tarot Cards as inspiration for these scents. I am now even more majorly pi**ed off that they seem to have made such "a pigs ear" out of it. And not having used this opportunity to really give us rich marvellous compositions that really made the very best of this excellent concept. ...
    (They could have even kept going for a few years yet too, with many more scents. Till they had given us the full 22 "Major Arcana" of the Tarot deck. Now that would have been truly brilliant ~ A Tarot Deck of Fragrances ! ... It could have been a really excellent collection of 22 scents to be proud of ! ).
    ~ And instead we get given "lolly-water" ... What a great pity indeed !

Now that's what I call a totally missed opportunity !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 28th August 2009 at 12:08 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I tried these at Nordstrom - from what I remember- there was not too much to remember ! Weak ,nothing exceptional ... as graffham said- a cashgrab.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 28th August 2009 at 12:05 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Off-Scenter

P.S. ... Just by the way, I see you mentioned the "non sequential numbers" in your reviews of them ... They are actually the numbers that correspond to the cards in the Tarot deck. (They are numbered exactly the same way as in the deck. In the deck they have a numerological meaning/value too !)
    Thanks for clarifying the numbers! Unfortunately knowledge of their origins does nothing to improve my impression of the stuff in the bottles...;-)

And as body sprays? Isn't Axe a lot cheaper?

Has D & G's cynicism no bounds?

While I agree with the majority here that they are boring and uninspiring, I see nothing wrong with D & G releasing them. They don't detract from their other good fragrances.

High end wineries release less expensive wines to appeal to the masses. High end audio companies release lower end lines. Porsche released the Boxter.

None of these detract from the best from these companies.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 28th August 2009 at 12:29 AM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Thanks for clarifying the numbers! Unfortunately knowledge of their origins does nothing to improve my impression of the stuff in the bottles...;-)

And as body sprays? Isn't Axe a lot cheaper?

Has D & G's cynicism no bounds?

a) Pleasure ! .... (I've been designing my own version of the Tarot Cards for ages. Which is why I was so excited about the release of these. ... And why I am so pi**ed they are c**p !)

b) Too true ! ... But if ya thinking them even worse than Axe sprays. ~ Double "eek" ! They really must be truly awful.

c) (LOL) ... I am truly gutted !!! ... (I'm going to choose to blame Procter & Gamble)

Edit : What is even worse is they will probably still make a total killing with them. With them selling hand over fist ???
    Last edited by Sybarite; 28th August 2009 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    While I agree with the majority here that they are boring and uninspiring, I see nothing wrong with D & G releasing them. They don't detract from their other good fragrances.

High end wineries release less expensive wines to appeal to the masses. High end audio companies release lower end lines. Porsche released the Boxter.

None of these detract from the best from these companies.

Absolutely ! ... I am sure there will still be loads who will like and purchase them !

Bah. La Bateleur while not exactly mind-blowing, is a very subtle scent that wears well with me. Quite non-descript, non-offensive, and dries down on me quite well.

I have to say honestly, i liked two of the scents. I, who usually does not enjoy much of the offerings being put to market, enjoyed L'Iperatrice and La Lune very much. The only problem was the lack of staying power. They faded away after only a short while, which was kind of a downer.
    It is funny also, because i truly dislike most fruity scents, that they made a scent with the fruit note i most enjoy (watermelon) but because it is so weak it would be a waste of money.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Basenotes Institution

Yes, the lack of staying power kinda of annoyed me. So much potential for some good scents and all they had to offer were fairly weak and uninspired .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I agree these are not the best thing to come down the pike, but for the background to the concept, here's part of a blog post I wrote about them:

I went on to Nordstrom, where they had displays of D&G's new Anthology line of EdTs in both the men's and the women's perfume counters. I tried all five, and settled on :

Dolce & Gabbana
    Anthology
    18 La Lune
    (2009)
    Notes: Lily, Tuberose, Sandalwood, Musk, Orris Root, Leather.

All the scents in this line are named for cards from the Tarot: 1 Le Bâteleur (The Juggler, or The Fool), 3 L’Impératrice (The Empress), 6 L’Amoureux (The Lover), 10 La Roue de la Fortune (The Wheel of Fortune), and 18 La Lune (The Moon). I think this is a fascinating conceit. Curiously, each of the scents has a different photo model; what they all have in common is that they are each and every one of them photographed naked.

The Tarot cards corresponding to the scents are interpreted in interesting ways:

• The Juggler/The Fool represents Risk, or The Life Journey, or (sometimes) Death (if reversed). In the Tarot, he is not number one, but usually zero; because his theme is transformation, he can be anything, creating himself as it were ex nihilo.
    • The Empress is variously interpreted as the Earthly Paradise/Garden of Eden, sensuality, beauty, health, nature, desire, physical attraction, or satisfaction.
    • The Lover is only half of tarot card number six; card number six is The Lovers (plural) in the Tarot. In a common interpretation, it represents a difficult choice or temptation in some form; other readings are more superficial: love, relationships, sex.
    • The Wheel of Fortune in the Tarot can be seen as a turning point, a change of direction, or an opportunity; it can also be read as a passage between life cycles (impending entry into a different stage of life).
    • Finally, the one I chose, The Moon, represents the animal imagination; that is, the fantasies of the physical rather than the spiritual self, tending to be associated with the unconscious. It is associated with the Deep, the Abyss, from which emanate many forms of life, as from the primordial sea.

As for the fragrances themselves:

• Le Bâteleur 1: the ad features Tyson Ballou, the fragrance has aromatic and aquatic notes, cedar and vetiver.
    • L’Impératrice 3: with model Naomi Campbell and notes of watermelon, kiwi, pink cyclamen and musk.
    • L’Amoureux 6: represented by Noah Mills, with spices, bergamot, juniper, pink pepper, cardamom, birch leaf, orris, wood and musk.
    • La Roue de la Fortune 10: the ad shows Eva Herzigova and Fernando Fernandes. The notes include tuberose, gardenia, jasmine, benzoin and patchouli.
    • La Lune 18: with Claudia Schiffer. The notes feature lily, tuberose, sandalwood, musk, orris and leather. [Info lifted from the Now Smell This review]

To me, 18 La Lune was the most attractive because of the combination of notes: woods, musk, earthy orris root; but these paired with lily and tuberose florals. It reminded me (very slightly) of Germaine Cellier's classic Bandit: leather and sensuous white florals. I guess it does recall things welling up from the deep of the physical imagination.

To some extent, all the scents seem to be related to the themes of the corresponding Tarot cards. The series may not be your cup of tea as a set of fragrances, but it could be fun to explore them with an eye to seeing how the theme functions as a conceit of perfumery — a kind of extended brief, reaching across a whole series of perfumes.

The overarching Idea strikes me as kind of cool.

I guess these are more to tease the brain than the nose!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Thanx JaimeB for the review and elaborating on, what I think is a marvellous concept, of using the Tarot Cards.
    (I dabble a little with both my own natural perfumery blends, and doing Tarot readings. And have always wanted to come up with a perfume blend for each of the Major Arcana cards (22), naming them as such. (Most ambitious of me, and highly unlikely to ever come to actual complete fruition, unfortunately). ... But that is mostly why I was so intrigued when I first heard of these. (But also most pi**ed too that someone has "pipped me to the post" with practically the very same idea). ... Oh well, as they say "You snooze, you loose ! )

However ... From what I know of my decks of Tarot cards) ... Le Bateleur is not card No. 0 "The Fool" as you mentioned ... But in fact actually card No.1 which is The Magician (Or "The Juggler" - that part is correct, but connected to card No.1 and not No.0 !)

(Unless, of course you are aware of some or other card deck that might have them changed around ??? (Sometimes there can be slight variations between some "newer" decks). ...
    But as far as I know ... "Le Bateleur" has always traditionally been "The Magus" (or The Magician) in most Tarot decks (especially the French deck).

"The Magician" card's meaning : "The message is to tap into one's full potential rather than holding back"

Which I think is really quite ironic when you see what they've done with the scent(s) ... That using "The Fool" would've actually been much more appropriate
    Last edited by Sybarite; 29th August 2009 at 04:35 PM.

BINGO

I heard about these and took my girlfriend to Nordstrom where we spotted them tucked away in the corner at Nordstrom. That's how bad they're doing...

When we arrived the woman working the area tried to pitch the whole idea and tell us they are a line that takes some real scrubbing and suds to wash off. I grabbed two samples (1 and 6) and I don't remember which ones they made for my lady, but we were both very unimpressed. Not to mention this crap doesn't last longer than 20 minutes.

Save your money. Even D&G light blue lasts longer...

Last visit to Nordstrom 1 month ago, the SA tried to push this on me even though I smelled them before and told her. They are very simple scents that are boring and linear. I was glad they didn't hike up prices trying to be Hermessence but at the same time, these are no different than any other mediocre designer scent.

looks like i will pass these up........

Its a shame to hear about this, and then you see Light Blue for Men which IMO is a pale comparison to the women's version that came out a couple of years before. Im just asking myself what D&G are thinking. They discontinue By, they release these "less-than-a-body-spray" frags, and the aforementionned Light Blue for men. The only good thing they've done for 10 years has been The One. Even their clothes are getting cheap-looking and guido-ish. Step up your game D&G, we miss the old you.

I tried these last week also, and completely agree with the negative comments on here. Not a single one of them was even remotely interesting. Dreadful stuff.

Thats so horrible...i was excited to go smell them...i guess not...

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Thanx JaimeB for the review and elaborating on, what I think is a marvellous concept, of using the Tarot Cards.
    (I dabble a little with both my own natural perfumery blends, and doing Tarot readings. And have always wanted to come up with a perfume blend for each of the Major Arcana cards (22), naming them as such. (Most ambitious of me, and highly unlikely to ever come to actual complete fruition, unfortunately). ... But that is mostly why I was so intrigued when I first heard of these. (But also most pi**ed too that someone has "pipped me to the post" with practically the very same idea). ... Oh well, as they say "You snooze, you loose ! )

However ... From what I know of my decks of Tarot cards) ... Le Bateleur is not card No. 0 "The Fool" as you mentioned ... But in fact actually card No.1 which is The Magician (Or "The Juggler" - that part is correct, but connected to card No.1 and not No.0 !)

(Unless, of course you are aware of some or other card deck that might have them changed around ??? (Sometimes there can be slight variations between some "newer" decks). ...
    But as far as I know ... "Le Bateleur" has always traditionally been "The Magus" (or The Magician) in most Tarot decks (especially the French deck).

"The Magician" card's meaning : "The message is to tap into one's full potential rather than holding back"

Which I think is really quite ironic when you see what they've done with the scent(s) ... That using "The Fool" would've actually been much more appropriate
    Thanks for elucidating the difference between cards 0 and 1. I think I was basing myself on something I gleaned from wikipedia, but at this point, I'm no longer sure. No, it can't have been that. I just checked, and wikipedia uses the Rider-Waite deck as ilustrations, which conforms to what you say...

My apologies, therefore, for being guilty of spreading misinformation and fostering confusion. (In the end, though, I think you're right that they would have done better to name it after the Fool — the idea of the animal soul is more apt to the description of the scent.)

And I hope you continue to pursue the conceit of using the Greater Arcana as a kind of "master brief" for a collection of scents. I guess the D&G line will soon be forgotten (from what I read and can confirm about their quality) and the field will once again be open for you to enter the lists.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 1st September 2009 at 06:29 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

And I hope you continue to pursue the conceit of using the Greater Arcana as a kind of "master brief" for a collection of scents. I guess the D&G line will soon be forgotten (from what I read and can confirm about their quality) and the field will once again be open for you to enter the lists.
    Pleasure ! ... And thank you very much for your kind words of encouragement ! (I only wish that I had even just one actual "business bone" in my body ! ... I'm really seriously useless at that type of thing, unfortunately !)

OK. Bottles are nice. they look like Prada exclusive line bottles

L'Imperatrice 3 - horrible sweet-fruity shampoo scent

Le Bateleur 1,
    L'Amoureaux 6 - these two quite musculine watered down mainstream scents.

La Lune 18 - blah...nothing

La Roue de la Fortune 10 - the most interesting gourmand scent. I smelled Thierry Mugler exclusive line at Harrods of five scents, so some scents are reminiscent to this one.
    Last edited by DreamerII; 1st September 2009 at 11:58 AM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Ding, Dong. Avon.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

I just bought the l'Imperatrice 3 despite the fact that its more feminine that masculine - . . owning Escale a Portofino and Carnal Flower as well as Obsession NIght for Women, the gender line is something I'm not concerned about unless its overtly feminine.

I was just sampliing at Sephora today when i sprayed some of this on one part of my left arm. 30 minutes after I left, I could still smell the robust and fresh watermelon opening as I was walking through the grocery store. I continued to smell it for another 30 minutes and then drove back and picked up a full bottle.

I don't have many fruity frags, but this is better than those that I've smelled before such as Paco XS Black, which was too candyish and too dull in the drydown. I briefly smelled Paris Hilton for Men some time ago and it reminds me of that because i can't elaborate why.

I could very well be that within a week i'll ask myself what the hell i was thinking with this purchase, but for the past hour I've been enjoying this full application and will be bringing it into the rotation.

Along with my recent purchase of Fuel for Life and Obsession Night for Women, its my only fruity frag. So far, I'm digging it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Not to dredge up an old-ish thread but to add a little just in case someone runs a search on D&G's Anthology. My reviews of all 5 are up btw.

From the lack of reviews I figured many have given this entire line a miss. A pity as I'm sure many out there look up to BNers for reviews of new scents. Is this a case of a little bad press influencing the masses? Or just the result of a reviewer's unjustifiably high expectations coming down to earth with the proverbial splat? Perhaps not. My point is don't avoid sampling a scent just because a respected reviewer says it is hopelessly bad. Go and try it for yourself. You might be surprised. They are not really that bad if you go in without any preconceived notions. And depending on which particular 'tarot card' you pick, you might need to vary the application to get the level of sillage you want. But as a bodyspray? LOL, why don't you do just that and let us know how others react to it (I'll even decant 10ml of La Roue de la Fortune for you..).

Overall, I admit this is not a great line but certainly decent enough to at least deserve a sniff. So here I am calling out to Basenotes reviewers to give this line a fair hearing (sniff) so we could all have a more varied and hopefully fairer perspective.

This is truly a wasted opportunity for D&G. Such a great concept let down by shoddy execution probably due to budgetary constraints.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 6th October 2009 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    ding, dong. Avon.
    lmfao

I was at Bloomingdale's this weekend, and was checking out the Annick Goutal counter. Next to this was the D&G counter. The D&G SA almost knocked the Annick Goutal SA over to get me to try the D&G stuff. She kept spraying cards and shoving them in my face with the different scents. I politely declined, and then moved away to look at something else. I was on the other side of the perfume section of the store and the same D&G SA came running up to me, obnoxiously trying to get me to smell more. I have never experienced such aggressive salesmanship, and it has turned me off D&G, I think permanently! I wasn't impressed with whatever it was I smelled.

I tried the whole Anthology last weekend and I was real disappointed. If a gun were to be put to my head i would be forced to choose Le Bateleur 1. It's as generic as generic can be but the only one i can stand. I always try to test a frag with an open unbiased mind but the weekend's testing did nothing to change my mind. D&G invested a lot of money for the Anthology's marketing campaign so for their sake I do hope Anthology is not too bad a flop.

Anthology seemed to me like an attempt by D&G to go niche but after smelling the frags it seems like instead of going niche D&G is going "drug store".
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

A couple of weeks ago I was pounced on by a SA who was promoting these. Before I could protest she proceeded to shove 3 tester cards under my nose and ask which one I preferred. AlI I managed a slightly shell-shocked "errrm, they all smell the same" before being rescued by a lady working the nearby Acqua di Parma counter. The whole episode was hilarious and slightly surreal.

For what's it's worth, they seemed watery yet sweet and entirely forgettable. Light Blue gets a lot of stick but at least it's recognisable

Quote Originally Posted by stevo30 View Post
    Its a shame to hear about this, and then you see Light Blue for Men which IMO is a pale comparison to the women's version that came out a couple of years before. Im just asking myself what D&G are thinking. They discontinue By, they release these "less-than-a-body-spray" frags, and the aforementionned Light Blue for men. The only good thing they've done for 10 years has been The One. Even their clothes are getting cheap-looking and guido-ish. Step up your game D&G, we miss the old you.
    This is so very, VERY true and really, REALLY sad. I used to adore this house.
    I love Jasmine.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I agree these are not the best thing to come down the pike, but for the background to the concept, here's part of a blog post I wrote about them:

I went on to Nordstrom, where they had displays of D&G's new Anthology line of EdTs in both the men's and the women's perfume counters. I tried all five, and settled on :
    Dolce & Gabbana
    Anthology
    18 La Lune
    (2009)
    Notes: Lily, Tuberose, Sandalwood, Musk, Orris Root, Leather.
    All the scents in this line are named for cards from the Tarot: 1 Le Bâteleur (The Juggler, or The Fool), 3 L’Impératrice (The Empress), 6 L’Amoureux (The Lover), 10 La Roue de la Fortune (The Wheel of Fortune), and 18 La Lune (The Moon). I think this is a fascinating conceit. Curiously, each of the scents has a different photo model; what they all have in common is that they are each and every one of them photographed naked.

The Tarot cards corresponding to the scents are interpreted in interesting ways:

• The Juggler/The Fool represents Risk, or The Life Journey, or (sometimes) Death (if reversed). In the Tarot, he is not number one, but usually zero; because his theme is transformation, he can be anything, creating himself as it were ex nihilo.
    • The Empress is variously interpreted as the Earthly Paradise/Garden of Eden, sensuality, beauty, health, nature, desire, physical attraction, or satisfaction.
    • The Lover is only half of tarot card number six; card number six is The Lovers (plural) in the Tarot. In a common interpretation, it represents a difficult choice or temptation in some form; other readings are more superficial: love, relationships, sex.
    • The Wheel of Fortune in the Tarot can be seen as a turning point, a change of direction, or an opportunity; it can also be read as a passage between life cycles (impending entry into a different stage of life).
    • Finally, the one I chose, The Moon, represents the animal imagination; that is, the fantasies of the physical rather than the spiritual self, tending to be associated with the unconscious. It is associated with the Deep, the Abyss, from which emanate many forms of life, as from the primordial sea.
    As for the fragrances themselves:

• Le Bâteleur 1: the ad features Tyson Ballou, the fragrance has aromatic and aquatic notes, cedar and vetiver.
    • L’Impératrice 3: with model Naomi Campbell and notes of watermelon, kiwi, pink cyclamen and musk.
    • L’Amoureux 6: represented by Noah Mills, with spices, bergamot, juniper, pink pepper, cardamom, birch leaf, orris, wood and musk.
    • La Roue de la Fortune 10: the ad shows Eva Herzigova and Fernando Fernandes. The notes include tuberose, gardenia, jasmine, benzoin and patchouli.
    • La Lune 18: with Claudia Schiffer. The notes feature lily, tuberose, sandalwood, musk, orris and leather. [Info lifted from the Now Smell This review]
    To me, 18 La Lune was the most attractive because of the combination of notes: woods, musk, earthy orris root; but these paired with lily and tuberose florals. It reminded me (very slightly) of Germaine Cellier's classic Bandit: leather and sensuous white florals. I guess it does recall things welling up from the deep of the physical imagination.

To some extent, all the scents seem to be related to the themes of the corresponding Tarot cards. The series may not be your cup of tea as a set of fragrances, but it could be fun to explore them with an eye to seeing how the theme functions as a conceit of perfumery — a kind of extended brief, reaching across a whole series of perfumes.

The overarching Idea strikes me as kind of cool.

I guess these are more to tease the brain than the nose!
    Funny, I pulled the Death card and these were all dead on arrival!!!
    Last edited by manicboy; 7th October 2009 at 03:49 AM.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

[QUOTE=Diamondflame;1636697]Go and try it for yourself. You might be surprised. They are not really that bad if you go in without any preconceived notions. And depending on which particular 'tarot card' you pick, you might need to vary the application to get the level of sillage you want. But as a bodyspray? LOL, why don't you do just that and let us know how others react to it (I'll even decant 10ml of La Roue de la Fortune for you..).
    QUOTE]

I came in with no notions whatsoever. I came out with many, none of them good. The first one I smelled was exactly like a generic shampoo scent. The others were weak and worthless. They are definetly not unisex but I did find one feminine fragrance that would be worthy of a buy if it were around $35-$40. Certainly not worth the $65 retail. No way in hell. And I'm a fan of Light Blue pour Homme...

i really dont like the smells....

Just purchased L'Imperatrice and L'amoureaux. The battelier one was okay, the rest sucked big time IMO ..however Somethin' tells me if they weren't in the boring bottles we'd like them a lot more.

I got suckered into buying #1 Le Bateleur. Not real happy with it. It IS very generic.

I dont know why DG keeps issuing crappy fragrances for the past 10 years. The One and Anthology are just pathetic. They should just reissue By in a better bottle , the zebra bottle is a turn off to majority of men .