Code of Conduct

Default Casual summer fragrance needed

Hey All,
    Summer fragrances have always been a challenge for me. My natural tastes tend toward incense, leather, tobacco and ambers, so finding a good spring/summer frag has always been a difficult thing.
    I wear GIT and Erolfa quite a bit in the summers here, along with Bvlgari PH Extreme and sometimes Un Jardin Sur le Nil. These 4 hold up pretty well in the summer, but I think I'm looking for something even more casual. Probably designer. My goal would be something light, probably citrus (not woody), and understated. Something that I can't over apply. Today I'm wearing Mugler Cologne, which I am finding just a bit too shrill and loud. It's almost too dense and heavy in this weird way.
    4711 comes to mind, but I would like to get more than 5 minutes longevity out of it. Acqua di Parma maybe? I should check out their stuff. Been meaning to for a while.
    Thanks,
    Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Default Re: Casual summer fragrance needed

Santa Maria Novella Colonia
    Lorenzo Villoresi Acqua di Colonia
    Numero Uno by Carthusia

Sur la Plage

Guy Laroche Horizon
    Aramis New West for Him
    Hugh Parsons Blue
    YSL Live Jazz
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks guys. Neal, I like the list, but I'm looking to find something pretty cheap. I will seek out a sample of Numero Uno by Carthusia though. Never tried it.
    Live Jazz is one that I used to own, but I just can't do mint at all these days. Aramis New West for Him eh? Sounds like a good thing for me to seek out.
    -Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

I am also inclined to prefer incense and spicy frags. I have enjoyed 4711 for several years. Castile is similar with a bit more refinement in the blend. Lately I've really enjoyed ICE*MEN, A*MEN Sunessence, LeMale Summer Scent, and the Opium Summer issues. Most recently, The Kenzo frags: Air, L'Eau, and Jungle have been less spicy alternatives. Tokyo is a fantastically subtle blend of spice, citrus, and fir that works well in all weather. Last but not least, New West has been a summertime fave for 2 decades now.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    Thanks guys. Neal, I like the list, but I'm looking to find something pretty cheap. I will seek out a sample of Numero Uno by Carthusia though. Never tried it.
    Live Jazz is one that I used to own, but I just can't do mint at all these days. Aramis New West for Him eh? Sounds like a good thing for me to seek out.
    -Slim

Not sure what is your price range, but...

http://lafcony.com/Merchant2/merchan...Category_Code=

Canali Summer Night might me worth checking out. A nice blend of citrus and leather. Also, Canali Men is good all year round.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Canali Men is good all year round.
    + on the Canali and offering Set Sail St. Barts as another simple but smooth suggestion.
    Generic maybe but the palm wood works.

If you like fig, I've seen Ferragamo Pour Homme at Marshall's recently. I've also really been enjoying The One by D&G. I'd consider it a "fresh" scent with a gourmand bent--some citrus and florals, but with some nice tobacco and vanilla in the drydown. Very tough to over apply.

Slim,
    You've got challenging tastes for summer indeed, and I might take liberties with your bank account, but I'd say you might like to check out Diptyque's Virgilio, if you can find it around, Diptyque's Eau de Lierre, or even Diptyque's Eau Lente if you'll reach as far as a minty vanilla.

Otherwise, regarding 4711, try out Roger & Gallet's Extra Vieille. If you can get and bother with the bath bar soap, the bath shower gel, the after-shower body lotion, and the edc, you'll get ten or twelve hours out of it but with a principally sandalwood tail end dry down.

Your idea to try out Acqua di Parma is a good one, and I'm partial to Colonia the original. It has tremendous staying power. It'll last you all day.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Guerlain Imperiale is similar to 4711 and worth a try, I think.

+1 on Tommy Bahama Set Sail SB. If you can get over the poor to moderate longevity (it is an EDC, so you can get away with spraying this generously), this is a good buy at a low price. I'm not sure how much it is on Amazon, but you can pick up a 100mL at any Marshall's for $20.

Slim, I feel your struggle. I pretty much am going through the same issue. Although I do really like Mugler Cologne. Still, I can see how you would think it is uncomfortable to wear sometimes.

With rec's, I will offer you Cartier Declaration. However, Cartier's for some reason tend to be priced higher than other designer scents. But I find it great in the heat. Some guys find it woodsy, but I don't really smell it that way.

Also, perhaps Guerlain Vetiver, although it is not really "light" and citrusy. Polo Modern Reserve seems to smell nice in the heat as well.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Gianfranco Ferre's Bergamotto Marino.

You want citrus? You want summer? You want inexpensive? You want awesome? Then get a bottle of Acqua Classica Borsari, which is my current citrus cologne addiction right now:

I bought my 3.3 oz. bottle for only $20 U.S.. It's a great Italian-styled citrus fragrance with the added benefit of pepper and woody notes that give this scent a complexity and subtle darkness you rarely find in classic eaux de colognes. It also is longer lasting that your typical EDC (I get about 4 hrs. from it). I don't think you'll regret it.

l'eau par kenzo
    happy by clinique
    story by paul smith

Not that it's one of my favorites, but maybe The Dreamer might be a good fit for you?
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com