Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1

    Default Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    WOW!

    I recently discovered this excellent fragrance by English Bespoke Shirt Tailors "Washington Tremlett" whom were responsible for dressing Katherine Hepburn and the theatrical cast of "My Fair Lady". They have also dressed the Onassis family amongst many high profile people. I was also told they are said to have been the ones who originally invented the term "Black Tie".

    I sampled two mens scents from their portfolio, and "Black Tie" is a winner! It holds destinct similarities to C&S No.88, but oozes class with its understated composition! Here is how its described online:

    A bloomy bouquet, which rises in a heartnote, to perpetuate in a rich basenote of precious woods.

    top-note: saffron, nutmeg, galbanum, sage
    heart-note: roses, geranium, tuberose
    base-note: sandalwood, vanilla, patchouli, musk

    It doesnt come cheap (140 for 100ml), but I like the No.88-esque nuances it has to offer, and it will sit nicely alongside it. It will definitely be a future purchase of mine when my cards recover from my recent scent-shopping expedition!

    Are there any other BN'ers who have experienced this great fragrance yet?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Dimitri,

    Can you elaborate on the "distinct similarities to C&S No. 88" and on the "No. 88-esque nuances"?

    Also, how prevalent and prominent is the tuberose note in this fragrance?

    Would you classify is as a predominantly rose fragrance?

    Thanks.

    scentemental


    Last edited by scentemental; 10th January 2008 at 09:49 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Also, where can it be obtained? Online?

    Edit:

    I answered my own question:

    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/index.php?cPath=23_442
    Last edited by Circa1905; 10th January 2008 at 09:25 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Hi Scentimental,

    When I describe BT as being in kind with Czech and Speake's No.88, its not a frivolous observation.... BT really is a scent that shares many similarities.

    To me, No.88 is the sensory equivalent of walking into an Indian emporium with thick incense burning, and the scent of rose-water in the air.
    Black Tie is cleaner somehow - without the "gritty" dryness of 88s incense-like accords. In fact it smells like good Turkish Delight... beautiful rose and powdered sugar, but also with precious sandalwood burning beneath.
    I cannot distinctly detect tuberose, but I do feel it has lent itself to the composition by lifting it into a unique floral blend where rose does take center stage.

    BT is not as heavy as 88... there is a transparency to this scent that 88 lacks, but it is distinctly British and evokes feelings of nostalgia and class. In saying this, I felt BT had disappeared on me when I sampled it, but many hours later, still caught the odd whiff as I turned my head... "ooooooooh" I thought, "I smell DAMN good!"...

    As posted earlier, when I manage to purchase a bottle, I will enjoy the varied nuances both of these scents have to offer.

    It can be bought online at www.ausliebezumduft.de / www.parfumchannel.de / www.thedifferentscent.de and other online retailers.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Hi Scentimental,

    When I describe BT as being in kind with Czech and Speake's No.88, its not a frivolous observation.... BT really is a scent that shares many similarities.

    To me, No.88 is the sensory equivalent of walking into an Indian emporium with thick incense burning, and the scent of rose-water in the air.
    Black Tie is cleaner somehow - without the "gritty" dryness of 88s incense-like accords. In fact it smells like good Turkish Delight... beautiful rose and powdered sugar, but also with precious sandalwood burning beneath.
    I cannot distinctly detect tuberose, but I do feel it has lent itself to the composition by lifting it into a unique floral blend where rose does take center stage.

    BT is not as heavy as 88... there is a transparency to this scent that 88 lacks, but it is distinctly British and evokes feelings of nostalgia and class. In saying this, I felt BT had disappeared on me when I sampled it, but many hours later, still caught the odd whiff as I turned my head... "ooooooooh" I thought, "I smell DAMN good!"...

    As posted earlier, when I manage to purchase a bottle, I will enjoy the varied nuances both of these scents have to offer.

    It can be bought online at www.ausliebezumduft.de / www.parfumchannel.de / www.thedifferentscent.de and other online retailers.

    Greetings Dimitri,

    An excellent description, and a real top job in describing what sounds like a very interesting fragrance.

    I am much obliged.

    Many thanks,

    scentemental


  6. #6
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,758

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    It sounds intriguing and I'm looking forward to trying it. Thanks Dimitri.

    Do you smell a lot of saffron?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Hi Pluran,

    I can smell saffron, but only in a minute quantity. It lends a sort of honey-like exotic (Persian-style) note to the mix.
    Do you like the smell of saffron?

    Dimi.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Dimitri, hearing you rave about this scent made me run for my sample and give it a full wearing today . I will report back later with my impressions. So far it's very pleasant.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

    There is always the sky to look at

  9. #9

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Nice one BrothaG!

    I look forward to another perspective on this one!
    Dimi

  10. #10
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,758

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Hi Pluran,

    I can smell saffron, but only in a minute quantity. It lends a sort of honey-like exotic (Persian-style) note to the mix.
    Do you like the smell of saffron?

    Dimi.
    Thanks Dimi,

    A little saffron goes a long way, but it sounds ok here.

    Can't wait to try the stuff.
    Last edited by pluran; 11th January 2008 at 07:39 AM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    A little footnote as these 2 scents evolve on my skin... the "Black Tie" is rather linear "what you see is what you get". The rose and spices are as prominent now as they were when first applied.

    The No.88 however does tend to change on the dry down... on me, the rose accords recede and the spicy/woody incense-like notes move to the front.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    OK, so I'm wearing Black Tie today and am now pretty far into its drydown. I've never tried No. 88 so I can't compare it to that, but either way you've done a great job describing this scent, Dimitri.

    A prominent rose that stays visible all the way through, never too cloying, but clearly of quality like you mentioned. Spicy notes that bring just the right balance and depth.
    In the final drydown, it's still very similar to its previous stages, only more mellow and faintly woody. Definitely one of the better rose scents I've tried.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

    There is always the sky to look at

  13. #13

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Thanks BrothaG...

    I too wanted to report back here... the Black Tie is still going strong on the back of my hand now some 7 hours after application. Its rose accord is superb.

    The No.88 is a very whispy puff of dusty incense by now.

    As much as I love the No.88, I am personally leaning towards the Washington Tremlett as my preferred of the two. As BrothaG describes above, this is amongst the best rose scents Ive ever experienced.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Thanks BrothaG...

    I too wanted to report back here... the Black Tie is still going strong on the back of my hand now some 7 hours after application. Its rose accord is superb.

    The No.88 is a very whispy puff of dusty incense by now.

    As much as I love the No.88, I am personally leaning towards the Washington Tremlett as my preferred of the two. As BrothaG describes above, this is amongst the best rose scents Ive ever experienced.
    Dmitri, but is it better than Domenico Caraceni???? I like DC better than C&S 88
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

    What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

  15. #15

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    You asked the question that was on my mind?
    (Now listening, holding ear with left hand)

  16. #16

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    You asked the question that was on my mind?
    (Now listening, holding ear with left hand)
    great minds think alike, dear
    I wonder, oh wonder, what he will say????
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

    What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

  17. #17

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    *giggles*
    Shall I or shan't i answer...
    *holds breath*....

    Actually the truthful response is that I've never had access to Domenico Caraceni, and thus cannot comment. Though Im sure its every bit as delightful as you rtamara and jock suggest it to be.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    *giggles*
    Shall I or shan't i answer...
    *holds breath*....

    Actually the truthful response is that I've never had access to Domenico Caraceni, and thus cannot comment. Though Im sure its every bit as delightful as you rtamara and jock suggest it to be.
    SHOCKING!!! Someone get this man some Domenico Caraceni!!
    Seriously. I think you may need this one. I spray my sample on myself in the privacy of my home, can't really wear it out, but I surely enjoy it.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

    What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

  19. #19

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Gents and Ladies,

    Black Tie is now available at luckyscent.com!

    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...1603&section=2

  20. #20

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    Dmitri, but is it better than Domenico Caraceni???? I like DC better than C&S 88
    Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    SHOCKING!!! Someone get this man some Domenico Caraceni!!
    rtamara, I followed your advice, and am now armed with a new Domenico Caraceni edt sample, and will wear it as my SoTD tomorrow (Wednesday). Will let you know how it goes!

    As a footnote... I also posted in another thread this evening that there are also similarities between Black Tie and Aoud Lime. Now which to buy??! *groan*

  21. #21

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Hi Scentimental,

    When I describe BT as being in kind with Czech and Speake's No.88, its not a frivolous observation.... BT really is a scent that shares many similarities.

    To me, No.88 is the sensory equivalent of walking into an Indian emporium with thick incense burning, and the scent of rose-water in the air.
    Black Tie is cleaner somehow - without the "gritty" dryness of 88s incense-like accords. In fact it smells like good Turkish Delight... beautiful rose and powdered sugar, but also with precious sandalwood burning beneath.
    I cannot distinctly detect tuberose, but I do feel it has lent itself to the composition by lifting it into a unique floral blend where rose does take center stage.

    BT is not as heavy as 88... there is a transparency to this scent that 88 lacks, but it is distinctly British and evokes feelings of nostalgia and class. In saying this, I felt BT had disappeared on me when I sampled it, but many hours later, still caught the odd whiff as I turned my head... "ooooooooh" I thought, "I smell DAMN good!"...

    As posted earlier, when I manage to purchase a bottle, I will enjoy the varied nuances both of these scents have to offer.

    It can be bought online at www.ausliebezumduft.de / www.parfumchannel.de / www.thedifferentscent.de and other online retailers.
    I don't smell any similarities between BT & #88. I wear #88 quite regulary and love it dearly. Black Tie just smells awful on me. I've had 2 samples of Black Tie from Luckyscent and Washington Tremlett is pure garbage IMO.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I don't smell any similarities between BT & #88. I wear #88 quite regulary and love it dearly. Black Tie just smells awful on me. I've had 2 samples of Black Tie from Luckyscent and Washington Tremlett is pure garbage IMO.
    so you didn't like it?

  23. #23

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    so you didn't like it?

    The point being, if there were simalarities I would have liked it. Nothing in common at all.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    I have to disagree with the beck on this one. I really like Black Tie. I think it's excellent.

    Black Tie, Washington Tremlett is one the very nicest masculine rose fragrances I've tried. In fact it is probably my favorite of the bunch - except for Rose 31- my favorite. Black Tie doesn't remind me of C&S 88 at all, but in this case that's a good thing as it is much lighter and easier to wear. The fragrance is a diaphanous rose with just a hint of saffron blended + a touch of oud wood + patchouli / vanilla base. Reminds me considerably of some of Montale's lighter rose concoctions like Aoud Damascus or Aoud Rose Petals. The saffron is a minor note that doesn't stand out much but adds a slight textural contrast to the floral lift from the roses, geranium and tuberose. The base is light patchouli tamed with vanilla backdrop to the tapestry of rose and spice mixture. The oud scent is very light, but always present, however the medicinal woodiness might not be oud at all but a cleverly balanced note of patchouli in contrast to the rose. Anyway its a very nice and subtle counterpoint for the lightness of rose. Another very distinctive fragrance to come from a small bespoke clothier.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Just noticed a new Washington Tremlett release on ausliebezumduft: Washington Tremlett - MPH

    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/kosmet...oducts_id=3906

  26. #26
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,346

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    The fragrance is a diaphanous rose with just a hint of saffron blended + a touch of oud wood + patchouli / vanilla base. Reminds me considerably of some of Montale's lighter rose concoctions like Aoud Damascus or Aoud Rose Petals.
    I must agree. Of course, I wear Black Aoud so much, so when I first smelled BT I automatically made a mental assocation with BA. But later on, it showed itself to be a much more light rose and aoud note - just like AD (I haven't smelled ARP).

    I also had an olfactory association when I smelled Black Tie, of the rose in Kelly Caleche by Hermes (the Hermes note pyramid calls it climbing rose) with aoud added.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 29th April 2008 at 04:15 PM.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Ladys and gentlemen. My previous posts on Black Tie must be disregarded. I ordered another sample and agree with all the positive statements and similarities to #88. It seems Royal Heroes was in my first sample vial instead of Black Tie. No wonder it didn't smell like it was touted. Black Tie is simply awesome.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Lol... I did think your first response was a little "misguided" thebeck!
    Glad theres another BT fan in the fold

  29. #29

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    I just semi-bling-bought this due to Dimis raving about it and Dimi, your front windows are safe!

    Very nice, very sophisticated frag, whose only minor drawback is its short life.
    I get 3 hours and afterwards it becomes a nice skin scent bubble.
    However, it's nowhere near being a dealbreaker.

    Dominant player IMO are obviously the rose but also the Galbanum/sage up top (admittedly I more often than not smell the two together so I have a hard time telling them apart), Geranium during the development and the patchouly base (!).

    Very, very nice indeed.
    Smellin good

  30. #30

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    I put Tremlett's Black Tie Ahead of Caraceni, Amouage Lyric, Black Aoud and just a little above Rose 31, Paestrum Rose, Tauer's Incense Rose/Rose Chypree or Hotel Costes. I put it above all other Rose Masculines Besides Windsor, No. 88, Vintage Egoiste, and Homage.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Washington Tremlett BLACK TIE

    Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    I just semi-bling-bought this due to Dimis raving about it and Dimi, your front windows are safe!

    Very nice, very sophisticated frag, whose only minor drawback is its short life.
    I get 3 hours and afterwards it becomes a nice skin scent bubble.
    However, it's nowhere near being a dealbreaker.

    Dominant player IMO are obviously the rose but also the Galbanum/sage up top (admittedly I more often than not smell the two together so I have a hard time telling them apart), Geranium during the development and the patchouly base (!).

    Very, very nice indeed.
    Im pleased it was a favourable outcome timaru!
    My fave male rose by far. I find it both rich and transparent at the same time.

Similar Threads

  1. Washington Tremlett = Washington that's it?
    By thenmarcher in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 4th March 2008, 05:22 AM
  2. Black Tie vs. LV Musk
    By Tonyprince in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 18th February 2008, 04:49 PM
  3. The Great Layering Challenge #1b - DK Black Cashmere / CK Obsession
    By moondeva in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27th January 2007, 02:50 PM
  4. What to wear to black tie dinner tonight?
    By Ged in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 22nd July 2006, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •