Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Epic: Dissecting the scent

Hi guys!

I just received my Epic for men sample and would like anyone and everyone to chime in on your analysis on how this scent develops on your skin!

I'll get the ball rolling. Upon first application, I get incense and green notes, and the opening reminds me of Carolina Herrera's 212 for men. In the next few minutes, where 212 sort of remains in the opening phase and meanders around with lots of a certain synthetic which I cannot identify (iso e super?), Epic men develops a fuller body with incense and oud blooming in the mid notes.

Haven't got to the base yet, but I would like to hear what the rest has to say about Epic for men and how it develops for you!

Default Re: Amouage Epic: Dissecting the scent

For me, the opening is all about fresh crushed pink pepper berries. Then comes saffron and incense. The best comes at the end. This scent has the best drydown of all perfumes ever. For me it's almost pure oudh and sandalwood and always some shimmering silver frankincense in the back which has suprising staying power. I get nothing of the leather figuring in the scent pyramid. And no Iso E Super IMHO. Wonderful scent. Very complex and long lasting. It's powerful though, so be easy on the trigger if you live among other human beings (or animals).

I just wore this out today and my friend said it was pretty heavy. He said it reminded him of his family burning oud wood every Thursday. There's something in the base notes gives it sparkling quality, like drinking water infused with frankincese - I can't quite put my finger on what that note is, but it seems to make the base less heavy.

This fragrance is one of my Holy Grails! Its a true masterpiece. I could write paragraph discerning it's magic. I will just have to leave you with this; Its stellar! I love it! I've thought about what makes it so great and the answer is that every note plays an important role. So, I will just enjoy it!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

double post
    Last edited by pelle; 2nd August 2010 at 05:06 PM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

TSAR by van Cleef & Arpels anyone?

Immediately upon first application (dabbed from sample) Tsar came to mind. Now after more wearings it is still similar but Epic feels darker and more complex. I really like it but I donīt think I will spend such money when still Tsar does the trick for me on the few occasions I want to smell this refined.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    This fragrance is one of my Holy Grails! Its a true masterpiece. I could write paragraph discerning it's magic. I will just have to leave you with this; Its stellar! I love it! I've thought about what makes it so great and the answer is that every note plays an important role. So, I will just enjoy it!
    +1.

Basenotes Institution

I get what rex got ^, but I get the leather note too.

the notes pyramid includes castoreum as one of the notes. I've never smelled what castoreum was like, but the leather i get from the base seems also suede-like. very very smooooth.

Quote Originally Posted by ccck View Post
    the notes pyramid includes castoreum as one of the notes. I've never smelled what castoreum was like, but the leather i get from the base seems also suede-like. very very smooooth.
    I think the castoreum adds to the leather effect. It has a dirty, animalic vibe but in Epic, somehow, it adds to the richness and depth and doesn't smell dirty at all. Epic is rich, deep, fresh, clean...all the way. In other leather scents, the castoreum can get out of control and add that bite or tinge of unpleasantness. In Epic, it is top quality and blended masterfully.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

i get a shimmering, sparkling vibe resonating from the depths of the woods and incense in the base of Epic. It seems so transparent and voluptuous at the same time. Only got this on my second wearing after many hours from the top. I think those who have said that Epic is generic ought to relook at this one again. There's more to it!