Code of Conduct

Default Having Perfumes on Hand for 'Lady Friends'

Single(or otherwise) gentlemen, and not so gentlemen, of Basenotes, I ask you : Do you keep any female perfumes around for your lady friends? I'm not talking about perfumes you may like to venture a wearing on your adventurous days. I'm talking flat out you'd never wear it yourself but keep it around because you like it and will offer it to use for your friends.

Let's say you have a date that goes 'very well' so to speak. They are there in the morning and you want to go have breakfast with them out somewhere. A quick shower is in order probably for both(usually at the same time!) even if they don't get their hair wet..lol. Do you have a perfume or three around so they can feel not so 'away game' at the nook?

Maybe in the throws of passion you might offer a frag so they can be scenting themselves in a way you like and they haven't experienced. Sort of a 'role play' of the nose...hah! By the time you get around to enjoying affections it might be 8-10 hours or so since they put something on to go out and it's worn off pretty much. So an application could heighten the experience.

Or even if you have a female friend one who isn't a lover.....yet, that is at your house just before you are going out. Yes fellas, women make the best wing...er...men!! You put on your SOTE and if you have some around for them if they haven't applied yet or know you have a nice selection around to try.

I've been thinking about doing this cause there are some I really like but would never wear. Would it be presumptuous to have and offer it? How do others approach this without coming off rude like they stink? How to make it a sensual journey and enticing offer?
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Default Re: Having Perfumes on Hand for 'Lady Friends'

When a lady comes over and sees the collection here she always wants one picked for her to wear, and usually wants to wear it right away. Okay, I say, "take off your clothes."
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Humans are curious creatures and women are not exempt from that Just have a couple of scents you would want them to try among your regular ones and they will themselves want to check them out. Although the scenario you describe does not apply to me I'd have something spectacular and beautiful put away for the occasions you talk about, maybe some Amouage Homage or Tribute, or some rose or jasmine attar, or Creed Windsor, or one of Montale's Confidential Collection like Highness Rose, or the breathtaking Prince Diamini attar from Arabian Oud. Of course, luckily, I already have all these But I think that any scents that have a flare of mystique or being very rare and/or unusual should spark their interest and you won't need to do much persuasion...

I've long thaught about buying a few of my favorite light, easy-to-like scents like Eclat D'Arpege, Dolce Light Blue, but often I just reach out my bottle without words as an offer, if I am wearing something unisex that day like VIW or MI. Most graciously and shyly decline, I don't push further, as you said it may be rude / cause slight disruption of vibe. One thing that has crossed my mind as a negative of having bottles not for yourself around, is it may open the path of thaught in a girl's mind that we are too promiscuous, and they will not then feel special.

Bvlgari Black, Muglers Cologne and Benetton Cold used to be available for use back in my bachelor days.
    Renato

I bought a bottle of Hanae Mori Magically Moon for my current G and she loved it. It was totally her type of frag and I did enjoy it, too. We are having some issues and I foresee the end coming. So I'm already planing on getting a bottle to have around for 'friends' as well as a couple other frags but not sure what I should get, yet. I'm a bachelor at heart and this commited relationship is an anomaly more so than the norm for me.

I never really considered having anything around for my lady friends until I stated reading here and doing some serious sniffing in stores. Then I thought 'why not'? I've had lady friends in the past sample some of my more lighter frags that toe the line of unisex but I never kept any straight out female frags on hand.

I'm pretty comfortable with the ladies and have no hang ups or issues with communication. I just wanted to get some input from guys who have the experience in this type of thing. I can 'guess' myself what could work and what I'd say but thought it would be prudent to get some frag ideas as well as hear the stories. I'd love to hear particulars just for fun. Guys talking about their conquests? Like that would be hard to get out of you lady killahs!

Let's hear it!

Sur la Plage

I can hear it already..................

Why do you have women's fragrances in your house? Did these belong to your ex (girlfriend/wife)? Don't you like the way I smell? You want me to smell like your ex?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Whenever a I receive samples of ladies' fragrances from a SA, I end up keeping them in the cubby of my car. Many times lady passengers have forgotten to spritz themselves with juice, at which time I have quite a plethora of fragrance choices to offer.

LOL...ya.... I know how women think and some for sure would be like wtf? But hey....if that's their head space then they aren't for me anyway. See ya!

What a curious thing to do to show a lady friend your perfume bottles. And to think about perfume "in the throes of passion". In my experience, there should be something else on your mind...

And shouldn't you occupy and entertain your lady friend with something other than a perfume bottle????

To each his own..... I have no problem keeping 'focus'. It's a marathon, not a sprint..... but don't let me cast aspersions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    Do you keep any female perfumes around for your lady friends?
    Absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

Why do you have women's fragrances in your house? Did these belong to your ex (girlfriend/wife)? Don't you like the way I smell? You want me to smell like your ex?
    I think I agree with JC on this. Keeping pefumes on hand for "lady guests" is a horribly crass idea. If the woman in question wants to freshen up after a night of passion in your home, let her use the shower. Be a gentleman about it.

At the very least, she will presume that she is just one of many "visitors" and will wonder if you keep those small toiletry kits on hand for all women who "visit." Regardless of how many women you are "courting," each woman wants to feel special to you after intimate moments. Besides, she will think the perfume belonged to an ex-wife or girlfriend, or worse, your mother.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I think I agree with JC on this. Keeping pefumes on hand for "lady guests" is a horribly crass idea. If the woman in question wants to freshen up after a night of passion in your home, let her use the shower. Be a gentleman about it.

At the very least, she will presume that she is just one of many "visitors" and will wonder if you keep those small toiletry kits on hand for all women who "visit." Regardless of how many women you are "courting," each woman wants to feel special to you after intimate moments. Besides, she will think the perfume belonged to an ex-wife or girlfriend, or worse, your mother.
    YUP. Having a selection of samples, as Bossa Nova mentioned, is plausible and impromptu- and could be a fun date of sampling and sniffing. But having FB's around simply for post coital entertainment sounds overplanned and controlling (on the creepy side) to me. Personally, I always have some vials of favorites tucked into my purse.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Yup, I've got some. I mean really, I've been a collector for a while and at one time I fell in love with a different scent for women that I didn't really want to wear myself every weekend. Sometimes I bought them and just added them to "the next girlfriend" collection. One girlfriend didn't stick around long enough to start getting her weekly subscription, but some others from this collection that ached to find wearers I sent off to cousins who needed to get out of Britney and J.Lo scents.

I've also got a dozen or so mostly full bottles of old edps of women's scents that I've come across at antique stores. If a woman visiting my place had a stringent curiosity about things for women I'd steer her through those.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

No, I never gone that far as to buy an "all-purpose", ready access female fragrance collection for my lady friends, mainly since I tend to agree with the opinions of Primrose, DustB and of most previous posters on this board

However, I might be getting off-topic, if lady-friends DO come over at my place and only IF they are the ones to initiate the idea to try some of my male/unisex frags (so far, only happened in the case of 2-3 persons at most), I say yes an almost categorical yes. Since, if they bring up this idea and if they try different frags, independent of each other, it is a personal and highly unique idea of theirs, so they do not feel pigeonholed among other female presences in my life

So I guess I should throw away the shampoo and conditioner I have, too, since I shave my head bald. Wouldn't want any women to get upset that they are my ex's......lol

I have been known to keep a stash for ladies as a gift. I also give them travel size toothbrushes. Just one of many things...

There was something similar to this in a Dirk Pitt novel.

His guest bathroom in the airline hangar had all manner of toiletries for guests who had spent the night, including makeup and lipstick. I thought it an interesting literary flourish but very probably awkward to implement; somehow, I have a hard time imagining NUMA's Special Project Director walking up to a department store cosmetics counter and buying two of everything.

I do not have an ad-hoc wardrobe for this sort of thing but I am not entirely against it. If I did go through with it, and a woman expressed concern at my consideration and attention to detail in this regard, I would reply that she did not seem unduly troubled by either of those qualities the evening prior.

Blog Entries

What about having a bottle of something light and unisex in your bathroom, where she could use it after her shower if she wished but wouldn't have any reason to think it wasn't yours? Maybe something like Un Jardin Sur Le Nil or something else you might enjoy occasionally yourself?

I was going to say exactly that!!! rofl!

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    YUP. Having a selection of samples, as Bossa Nova mentioned, is plausible and impromptu- and could be a fun date of sampling and sniffing. But having FB's around simply for post coital entertainment sounds overplanned and controlling (on the creepy side) to me. Personally, I always have some vials of favorites tucked into my purse.
    That's even more on target.

Basenotes Plus

I might have a few bottles or miniatures that I picked up along the way, for my personal enjoyment mostly. If a 'female friend' happens to be at my place for whatever reason and is curious enough to try on some, I'd let her. But steering her towards certain fragrances post-coitus is just plain 'creepy' to me, as if you're into some sorta of fragrance fetish.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the thoughts these women might have over these female frags, that they might belong to my ex-wives or ex-gfs or whatever. The size of my fragrance wardrobe should tell her I'm a fragrance connoisseur/collector of sorts. Besides, the bed or anywhere else at my place would have seen some 'action' previously. Why shd that freak her out? Anyway I'm pretty sure there are ways to distract her from these silly thoughts...

I had a girl semi freak out the other night just because I recognized Flower Bomb on her so no I think this would be a dreadful idea.

hahahaha, agreed. Besides, I think the idea of keeping womens fragrances for your company is in my opinion ridiculous. How odd would it be for you to go to her house and find that she keeps mens fragrances for men when they come over?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I wouldn't appreciate that much, to be honest. I have plenty of views on what fragrance I wear, I think most people do, even people who wouldn't think of visiting a place like Basenotes. If someone wants me to wear something particular for them they would have to be something more than a date that goes "very well", and I'd far rather either just go clean and unscented, or borrow one of my partner's own fragrances (whether labelled as masculines, feminines or unisex), than being offered a choice of fragrances specifically for "lady friends".

That's speaking as someone who has shared both an interest in fragrances and more than one fragrance with lovers, for the record. The idea of toying with samples together is a great one, though, I think.

What a funny thread! There's a vague Jersey Shore vibe that comes along with keeping a stash for the Lady du Jour (or nuit).
    I agree with 30 Roses and Pimpinett. Play it safe; keep it unisex. Why risk turning someone off who may turn out to be a perfectly lovely person.

I have a particular lady friend who stays over at my place sometimes, but she's patently disinterested in my fragrance collection, and fragrances in general. Although she's delighted that I've been blending my own perfumes lately. She's very artsy... She's never interested in trying anything I've bought, but is always dying to try a spritz or two of my current project.

-or- you can take the Rod Stewart approach:
    "So in the morning
    Please don't say you love me
    Cause you know I'll only kick you out the door

Yea I'll pay your cab fare home
    You can even use my best cologne
    Just don't be here in the morning when I wake up"

No...
    I can't imagine a conversation going like this
    Her: Why do you have a bottle of perfume
    You: So the girls I date have something to wear the next morning

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    No...
    I can't imagine a conversation going like this
    Her: Why do you have a bottle of perfume
    You: So the girls I date have something to wear the next morning
    Bingo. Just too awkward a situation. Assuming you have a moderate collection, odds are you have a few guys that are unisex to use should that (rather rare) situation come up. Sounds like you've just run out of interesting colognes to collect and are looking to the other (bigger) side of the pond to get your fix.

Banned
    Blog Entries

yea. theres no reason to have a bottle of perfume. unless you want to convey to the other person that you sleep with a lot of women.

i bought a 50ml decant in a 100ml bottle of jadore, so people have a clue on how many women i sleep with. whenever a bitch comes over to have sex, i let her know its only for my female guests.

Gotta say I find this to be a horrible idea. Pretty much every woman I've dated kept at least a travel atomizer (if not a bottle) in her purse or car. I think buying a fragrance for a woman on the off-chance this situation may arise is very questionable for a man. If I was a woman and a guy did this I'd think he was soft and way too "metro". Too often fragrance geeks assume everyone else shares our same enthusiasm for fragrance. When I wake up bleary eyed and heading to brunch or breakfast, the last thing on my mind is "damn I wish I had perfume to wear".

Banned

I have a bag of female-fragrance samples that I have acquired gratuitously from various sources, and which I usually give away as tokens of kindness, when the circumstances arise.
    But, I am not sure that that is the drift of this thread.

I have a bottle of Victoria Love Spell that I use to spray my bed with sometimes as a linen freshener (and Love Spell happens to drive me crazy). So I guess if a lady friend stayed the night she could use that...but I usually kick girls out after we're done smushing anyway.

J/k I ain't the Situation
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

My 'lady friends' must be thoroughly coated in the X02 batch of Aventus if they wish to have any sexual relations with me.

Yes, you may put that in your signature.

A definite no. If you want a woman to live with you just ask her. It's a lot more direct and a hell of a lot less creepy.