Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: TF Black Orchid..

Black Orchid is very unisex in style and continues to rock my socks off. The fermenting fruits, chewy toasted coconut and dark truffle aspects make for a genius composition. It's still my no. 1 compliment-getter to date.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I liked this a lot but now I find it really annoying. It can get really overwhelming. I find if I wear it one day, I can't wear it again till months later. It's really hard on the nose. I prefer the smoother Noir de Noir by TF.
    This is 100% my thoughts on it too. When I was experimenting with the small decant I got, it just becomes cumbersome to wear IMO. It's sort of a workout to wear it throughout an entire day.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    The story is that Tom Ford's marching orders to the perfumers for Black Orchid were "make it smell like a man's crotch."

Now- here's the thing. Why would a woman want to smell that way to attract a man?
    Not to mention, who's crotch smells like coconut and truffles? Certainly not mine!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I actually made my first venture into the ladies fragrance department to get a sniff of this; it sounded very intriguing. I was actually hunting for something from the private collection... Anyway, Nordstrom's is always cool with samples, and after my roommate went to bed, I sprayed a little on.

I totally get a little cotton candy, but only where I sprayed on my wrists (cleaner skin, I assume). The scent emanating from my where I sprayed my chest is much darker and interesting. It's similar to the truffle scent I get from my undies (j/k). It's a little sickly-sweet, but addictive.

I'm fairly new to the fragrance obsession, and I grew up in a fairly macho community. I'm not an overly macho guy myself; I don't wear pink, and I have a hard time feeling comfortable wearing floral scents. I would like to be dashing enough to wear this, but I just don't have the flamboyance, in the parlance of our times.

First, let me say that I wish "society" would make no distinction between male and female fragrance. It's a vestage of sexism. But that being said, Black Orchid stinks! After all this discussion, I decided to wear it yesterday. After managing not to get sick, I concluded I could get the same fragrance from mixing rotting fruit and flowers. I just don't find that smell appealing, for a man or a woman. (But I did have it around since it was given to me at a fragrance fair I attended).

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gae View Post
    I actually made my first venture into the ladies fragrance department to get a sniff of this; it sounded very intriguing. I was actually hunting for something from the private collection... Anyway, Nordstrom's is always cool with samples, and after my roommate went to bed, I sprayed a little on.

I totally get a little cotton candy, but only where I sprayed on my wrists (cleaner skin, I assume). The scent emanating from my where I sprayed my chest is much darker and interesting. It's similar to the truffle scent I get from my undies (j/k). It's a little sickly-sweet, but addictive.

I'm fairly new to the fragrance obsession, and I grew up in a fairly macho community. I'm not an overly macho guy myself; I don't wear pink, and I have a hard time feeling comfortable wearing floral scents. I would like to be dashing enough to wear this, but I just don't have the flamboyance, in the parlance of our times.
    Agree 100%, and come to think of it, I did get the cotton candy more when it was on my wrists and arms. I'm a big time arm sprayer, much more than chest and neck. I try to avoid olfactory fatigue, and this is the best way doing it by spraying far from the nose; besides, I can't physically sniff my own neck.

I also do agree with the majority on the scent, sweet, dark fruits, coconut. Yup, it's all there, but it's got that whole "big bag of granny's make-up" thing too.

Anyways, for those of you who can pull this, props to you. For me, it's got nothing to do with the gender a fragrance is marketed towards, I wear Chanel's No 5 from time to time, and most men wouldn't be caught dead wearing it, so it is simply preference.

Quote Originally Posted by flashpoint321 View Post
    First, let me say that I wish "society" would make no distinction between male and female fragrance. It's a vestage of sexism. But that being said, Black Orchid stinks! After all this discussion, I decided to wear it yesterday. After managing not to get sick, I concluded I could get the same fragrance from mixing rotting fruit and flowers. I just don't find that smell appealing, for a man or a woman. (But I did have it around since it was given to me at a fragrance fair I attended).
    LOL, gotta admire the honesty, totally get the rotten fruit vibe too.. <braces self for comments lol>

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    This is 100% my thoughts on it too. When I was experimenting with the small decant I got, it just becomes cumbersome to wear IMO. It's sort of a workout to wear it throughout an entire day.
    Okay I tried the sample I got this evening and I find this just too sweet for my preference. Just a little on my wrist and it became cloying right off the bat. It smells like what it is, a woman's perfume. Maybe some men can pull this off depending on their skin, but not me. This stuff could easily give me a headache if I applied even a drop more. It very much reminds me of Fuel For Life, another frag I'm not a fan of.

Perfect scent for Dennis Rodman.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Perfect scent for Dennis Rodman.
    Touché!