Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default TF Black Orchid..

So, I just got a decant of this stuff, and I honestly don't see what all the hype is about. It's definitley gourmand, it's definitley a unisex fragrance, it's nothing like Noir de Noir as others have mentioned. And it basically smells like cotton candy.

Default Re: TF Black Orchid..

Have you tried wearing it, or just spraying a bit on your wrist? I dismissed Fleur du Male until I actually wore it (2-3 sprays) and got to see it properly evolve. Black Orchid is one that needs a full wearing to appreciate.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Nope, this is just a first impression. I sprayed it on the top of my hand, smells like cotton candy. Not saying that's bad, I just don't see how this can evolve into much more, but I shouldn't jump to conclusions yet, you're right.

It's not one of those unique smelling perfumes. This one is one of those very pleasant and nice smelling perfumes. But the longer it cooks in to your skin, the better it smells. The aura around you is just nice.
    Last edited by volley2; 15th August 2010 at 02:45 AM.

I bought Black Orchid probably a week and a half ago, and it's still hitting me like a ton of bricks.
    Body Kouros, La Nuit de L'Homme, Fahrenheit and other designer bottles for trade in My Swap Thread

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Black Orchid is a sillage monster so apply sparingly for best effect. I don't enjoy the opening but the heart is rather enjoyable. Not particularly outstanding but it's far from bad, just not my style.
    Currently wearing: Cuoio by Odori

Kerosene

I enjoy the drydown the most from Black Orchid. I get no cotton candy from it though. And it's a thick fragrance that doesnt like the heat or humidity, at least on my skin.

I'm actually not a very big fan even after a few tries. It's cloyingly sweet and there's an over-ripened fruit note to it. I don't think I can pull it off as a masculine scent.

I confess that I was crazy a time ago about Black Orchid, especially because of the boozy gourmand aroma that BO exhales for a long time at skin. To me, BO has a coconut drink aroma, very loud, that develops to a deep, spice, amber, balm basenote. There is similarties in the base of BO with the greatest incense of NU EDP, but the loud gourmand part makes it harder to be recognized. I don`t see nothing in common with Noir de Noir too.

Basenotes Institution

I don't get the cotton candy smell from this at all. Yes, it's sweet, but it has this truffle/mushroom/decomposed fruit sort of vibe to it, humming along underneath the sweetness that makes it simultaneously attractive and a bit repulsive. I love that in fragrances and that's why I love Black Orchid. I honestly must say that I wear it very little, but that's mostly because Miami is usually too hot to comfortably wear this one (and also because I ran out of my bottle years ago and haven't replaced it). Nonetheless, I love it. And whenever I come upon a woman or man wearing it, it always makes me feel good. I think it smells sexy as sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I don't get the cotton candy smell from this at all. Yes, it's sweet, but it has this truffle/mushroom/decomposed fruit sort of vibe to it, humming along underneath the sweetness that makes it simultaneously attractive and a bit repulsive. I love that in fragrances and that's why I love Black Orchid. I honestly must say that I wear it very little, but that's mostly because Miami is usually too hot to comfortably wear this one (and also because I ran out of my bottle years ago and haven't replaced it). Nonetheless, I love it. And whenever I come upon a woman or man wearing it, it always makes me feel good. I think it smells sexy as sh*t.
    +1 on all accounts
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Oh man! There's a cheap knock-off of BOin Dubai and i smell it everywhere. I've grown so sick of it. It's too cloying, too.
    These knock-offs of BO and Tuscany Leather are on every corner downtown

Cool Another Black Orchid Thread..

Sorry, I can't locate the other one I started a couple weeks ago about my initial impression of Black Orchid.

The smell itself is excellent, kind of a cotton candy and tropical fruit thing going on. The fragrance however, being marketed toward women, should stay this way. This stuff is very very very feminine imo. I can't see a man wearing this unless he's very flamboyant. This fragrance is not only marketed for a woman and should be worn by a woman, but it's very loud and in your face too. Smells gorgeous, but I can't pull this one off.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Another Black Orchid Thread..

Funny, this one is very unisex to me.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I enjoy wearing this one.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I can't see a man wearing this unless he's very flamboyant. This fragrance is not only marketed for a woman and should be worn by a woman...
    I think it's fine if you don't want to wear it yourself, but the above is a little judgmental about "flamboyant," who should or shouldn't, etc. Some of us have reached an age where we can handle florals or whatever in scents without feeling like our masculinity is in danger (gay or not). Sorry, not trying to ride you... I just think it comes across better to say, "this is a little too feminine for my taste and I can't pull this one off." I'd be happy to introduce you to some other BN guys who wear this and aren't "very flamboyant."

Sur la Plage

---
    Last edited by petruccijc; 21st September 2010 at 10:30 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

This stuff is very very very feminine imo.
    Agree. My wife wears it from time to time.

Are you talking about the EdT or EdP? the EdP smells quite unisex to me. Besides, most of the men I know who wear really feminine fragrances are quite masculine.

Already from the third post people are reacting as if they are insulted.
    This is just his opinion. There is freedom of speech here right?

I wear it. Its actually my wifes bottle but I dont care.

I wore it to a gentlemens club and I had the women paying me to sit on my lap.
    Currently wearing: Musk Pure by Tom Ford

I think it`s quite the opposite. Only if you`re secure of your masculinity that you can really wear fragrances marketed for woman. I find very funny how some guys think that a fragrance can make them look gayish or less man.
    But you cannot changed narrow minds, you can only feel sorry about them...

I have no problem with women's fragrances, I have owned a few and would still like to try more as well as purchase some, including Piment des Baies by Miller Harris, so it's not a question of being insecure or caring what others think. If my opinions offend you, perhaps you're the insecure ones? I just thought I would share my thoughts on this fragrance.

To Ekove, yes it's the EdP.

I like to layer this one with castoreum oil and with Salvador Dalí Pour Homme.

I might have recklessly created a Black Hole.

Blog Entries

castorpollux; I am trying to imagine layering Black Orchid and Salvador Dali Pour Homme. The event horizon cannot be far behind. (LOL), but you have me thinking that perhaps I might try Black Orchid Voile de Fleur, which I bought today, layered with Salvador Dali. I will let you know how the story comes out in about a week. I hope the local hazmat team is ready for this.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I like to layer this one with castoreum oil and with Salvador Dalí Pour Homme.

I might have recklessly created a Black Hole.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 12th August 2010 at 07:40 PM.

I have no problem with women's fragrances, I have owned a few and would still like to try more as well as purchase some, including Piment des Baies by Miller Harris, so it's not a question of being insecure or caring what others think. If my opinions offend you, perhaps you're the insecure ones? I just thought I would share my thoughts on this fragrance.

To Ekove, yes it's the EdP.
    Miller Harris Frags aren`t marketed for men or for women, they are unissex creations.

@N_Tesla:
    Careful now! I have heard that TF's BOVdF has anti-matter as an unlisted ingredient!

ps.: i think it's a great scent btw

Sorry, I can't locate the other one I started a couple weeks ago about my initial impression of Black Orchid.

The smell itself is excellent, kind of a cotton candy and tropical fruit thing going on. The fragrance however, being marketed toward women, should stay this way. This stuff is very very very feminine imo. I can't see a man wearing this unless he's very flamboyant. This fragrance is not only marketed for a woman and should be worn by a woman, but it's very loud and in your face too. Smells gorgeous, but I can't pull this one off.
    i agree with you wholeheartedly!!
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    Already from the third post people are reacting as if they are insulted.
    This is just his opinion. There is freedom of speech here right?
    I'm personally not offended, I just think if you start considering "Femininity" as a barrier for trying on perfumes, you're missing a lot. If he doesn't like the fragrance that's one thing, but if he likes it but think it's too feminine, he should take the risk.

Personally, I think Black Orchid is a little hard to describe for me. It's definitely Feminine, but in a dark and mysterious way. And I honestly can't imagine it smelling great on a woman. The easiest way to describe it for me is a "Feminine scent for men". And another thing is, I don't think something like Black Orchid is anywhere near being so feminine to wear for a man. Perhaps it's because I know quite a few guys who wear britney spears Fantasy and Pink Sugar. Now that's crossing a line...

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    I'm personally not offended, I just think if you start considering "Femininity" as a barrier for trying on perfumes, you're missing a lot. If he doesn't like the fragrance that's one thing, but if he likes it but think it's too feminine, he should take the risk.

Personally, I think Black Orchid is a little hard to describe for me. It's definitely Feminine, but in a dark and mysterious way. And I honestly can't imagine it smelling great on a woman. The easiest way to describe it for me is a "Feminine scent for men". And another thing is, I don't think something like Black Orchid is anywhere near being so feminine to wear for a man. Perhaps it's because I know quite a few guys who wear britney spears Fantasy and Pink Sugar. Now that's crossing a line...
    For me, and I have probably said this multiple times, the biggest horror would be when someone opens my closet where I stock the perfumes and they see I use feminine ones. This hobby is already weird enough to non-Basenoters. Let alone if they would find out I'm buying feminine ones, or at least, buying perfumes that are marketed towards females.

I can imagine some people can easily get away with this. Let's not forget that Basenotes is a very multicultural place. We all live in very different "worlds". You have the working class. The rich ones, which is definitely here at Basenotes. Next to that comes personality: you have the fashionistas, people who are extravagant. Straight / gay and so on. If Basenotes would be a perfume, it would be a terribly complex blend of oils.

I see some people on this board that have issues with certain opinions. Almost attacking people personally because they think their opinion is the holy grail of all opinions. That is very wrong on a multicultural forum like Basenotes. It's simply arrogant.

Asking people to use different words or reformulate their posts, to me, that is not done. Everyone is free to speak out as he wants. When I do not like Bang by Marc Jacobs, I don't need a person telling me I should visit a tittie bar and spray on some Kouros. That happened in another topic by the way. Let's respect everyone's different opinions. And let's speak out freely.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 13th August 2010 at 03:04 AM.