Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default TF Black Orchid..

So, I just got a decant of this stuff, and I honestly don't see what all the hype is about. It's definitley gourmand, it's definitley a unisex fragrance, it's nothing like Noir de Noir as others have mentioned. And it basically smells like cotton candy.

Default Re: TF Black Orchid..

Have you tried wearing it, or just spraying a bit on your wrist? I dismissed Fleur du Male until I actually wore it (2-3 sprays) and got to see it properly evolve. Black Orchid is one that needs a full wearing to appreciate.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Nope, this is just a first impression. I sprayed it on the top of my hand, smells like cotton candy. Not saying that's bad, I just don't see how this can evolve into much more, but I shouldn't jump to conclusions yet, you're right.

It's not one of those unique smelling perfumes. This one is one of those very pleasant and nice smelling perfumes. But the longer it cooks in to your skin, the better it smells. The aura around you is just nice.
    Last edited by volley2; 15th August 2010 at 02:45 AM.

I bought Black Orchid probably a week and a half ago, and it's still hitting me like a ton of bricks.
    Body Kouros, Fahrenheit and other designer bottles for trade in My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Black Orchid is a sillage monster so apply sparingly for best effect. I don't enjoy the opening but the heart is rather enjoyable. Not particularly outstanding but it's far from bad, just not my style.

I enjoy the drydown the most from Black Orchid. I get no cotton candy from it though. And it's a thick fragrance that doesnt like the heat or humidity, at least on my skin.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

I'm actually not a very big fan even after a few tries. It's cloyingly sweet and there's an over-ripened fruit note to it. I don't think I can pull it off as a masculine scent.

I confess that I was crazy a time ago about Black Orchid, especially because of the boozy gourmand aroma that BO exhales for a long time at skin. To me, BO has a coconut drink aroma, very loud, that develops to a deep, spice, amber, balm basenote. There is similarties in the base of BO with the greatest incense of NU EDP, but the loud gourmand part makes it harder to be recognized. I don`t see nothing in common with Noir de Noir too.

Basenotes Institution

I don't get the cotton candy smell from this at all. Yes, it's sweet, but it has this truffle/mushroom/decomposed fruit sort of vibe to it, humming along underneath the sweetness that makes it simultaneously attractive and a bit repulsive. I love that in fragrances and that's why I love Black Orchid. I honestly must say that I wear it very little, but that's mostly because Miami is usually too hot to comfortably wear this one (and also because I ran out of my bottle years ago and haven't replaced it). Nonetheless, I love it. And whenever I come upon a woman or man wearing it, it always makes me feel good. I think it smells sexy as sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I don't get the cotton candy smell from this at all. Yes, it's sweet, but it has this truffle/mushroom/decomposed fruit sort of vibe to it, humming along underneath the sweetness that makes it simultaneously attractive and a bit repulsive. I love that in fragrances and that's why I love Black Orchid. I honestly must say that I wear it very little, but that's mostly because Miami is usually too hot to comfortably wear this one (and also because I ran out of my bottle years ago and haven't replaced it). Nonetheless, I love it. And whenever I come upon a woman or man wearing it, it always makes me feel good. I think it smells sexy as sh*t.
    +1 on all accounts
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Oh man! There's a cheap knock-off of BOin Dubai and i smell it everywhere. I've grown so sick of it. It's too cloying, too.
    These knock-offs of BO and Tuscany Leather are on every corner downtown

Cool Another Black Orchid Thread..

Sorry, I can't locate the other one I started a couple weeks ago about my initial impression of Black Orchid.

The smell itself is excellent, kind of a cotton candy and tropical fruit thing going on. The fragrance however, being marketed toward women, should stay this way. This stuff is very very very feminine imo. I can't see a man wearing this unless he's very flamboyant. This fragrance is not only marketed for a woman and should be worn by a woman, but it's very loud and in your face too. Smells gorgeous, but I can't pull this one off.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Another Black Orchid Thread..

Funny, this one is very unisex to me.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I enjoy wearing this one.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I can't see a man wearing this unless he's very flamboyant. This fragrance is not only marketed for a woman and should be worn by a woman...
    I think it's fine if you don't want to wear it yourself, but the above is a little judgmental about "flamboyant," who should or shouldn't, etc. Some of us have reached an age where we can handle florals or whatever in scents without feeling like our masculinity is in danger (gay or not). Sorry, not trying to ride you... I just think it comes across better to say, "this is a little too feminine for my taste and I can't pull this one off." I'd be happy to introduce you to some other BN guys who wear this and aren't "very flamboyant."

Sur la Plage

---
    Last edited by petruccijc; 21st September 2010 at 10:30 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

This stuff is very very very feminine imo.
    Agree. My wife wears it from time to time.

Are you talking about the EdT or EdP? the EdP smells quite unisex to me. Besides, most of the men I know who wear really feminine fragrances are quite masculine.

Already from the third post people are reacting as if they are insulted.
    This is just his opinion. There is freedom of speech here right?

I wear it. Its actually my wifes bottle but I dont care.

I wore it to a gentlemens club and I had the women paying me to sit on my lap.

I think it`s quite the opposite. Only if you`re secure of your masculinity that you can really wear fragrances marketed for woman. I find very funny how some guys think that a fragrance can make them look gayish or less man.
    But you cannot changed narrow minds, you can only feel sorry about them...

I have no problem with women's fragrances, I have owned a few and would still like to try more as well as purchase some, including Piment des Baies by Miller Harris, so it's not a question of being insecure or caring what others think. If my opinions offend you, perhaps you're the insecure ones? I just thought I would share my thoughts on this fragrance.

To Ekove, yes it's the EdP.

I like to layer this one with castoreum oil and with Salvador Dalí Pour Homme.

I might have recklessly created a Black Hole.

Blog Entries

castorpollux; I am trying to imagine layering Black Orchid and Salvador Dali Pour Homme. The event horizon cannot be far behind. (LOL), but you have me thinking that perhaps I might try Black Orchid Voile de Fleur, which I bought today, layered with Salvador Dali. I will let you know how the story comes out in about a week. I hope the local hazmat team is ready for this.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I like to layer this one with castoreum oil and with Salvador Dalí Pour Homme.

I might have recklessly created a Black Hole.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 12th August 2010 at 07:40 PM.

I have no problem with women's fragrances, I have owned a few and would still like to try more as well as purchase some, including Piment des Baies by Miller Harris, so it's not a question of being insecure or caring what others think. If my opinions offend you, perhaps you're the insecure ones? I just thought I would share my thoughts on this fragrance.

To Ekove, yes it's the EdP.
    Miller Harris Frags aren`t marketed for men or for women, they are unissex creations.

@N_Tesla:
    Careful now! I have heard that TF's BOVdF has anti-matter as an unlisted ingredient!

ps.: i think it's a great scent btw

Sorry, I can't locate the other one I started a couple weeks ago about my initial impression of Black Orchid.

The smell itself is excellent, kind of a cotton candy and tropical fruit thing going on. The fragrance however, being marketed toward women, should stay this way. This stuff is very very very feminine imo. I can't see a man wearing this unless he's very flamboyant. This fragrance is not only marketed for a woman and should be worn by a woman, but it's very loud and in your face too. Smells gorgeous, but I can't pull this one off.
    i agree with you wholeheartedly!!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    Already from the third post people are reacting as if they are insulted.
    This is just his opinion. There is freedom of speech here right?
    I'm personally not offended, I just think if you start considering "Femininity" as a barrier for trying on perfumes, you're missing a lot. If he doesn't like the fragrance that's one thing, but if he likes it but think it's too feminine, he should take the risk.

Personally, I think Black Orchid is a little hard to describe for me. It's definitely Feminine, but in a dark and mysterious way. And I honestly can't imagine it smelling great on a woman. The easiest way to describe it for me is a "Feminine scent for men". And another thing is, I don't think something like Black Orchid is anywhere near being so feminine to wear for a man. Perhaps it's because I know quite a few guys who wear britney spears Fantasy and Pink Sugar. Now that's crossing a line...

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    I'm personally not offended, I just think if you start considering "Femininity" as a barrier for trying on perfumes, you're missing a lot. If he doesn't like the fragrance that's one thing, but if he likes it but think it's too feminine, he should take the risk.

Personally, I think Black Orchid is a little hard to describe for me. It's definitely Feminine, but in a dark and mysterious way. And I honestly can't imagine it smelling great on a woman. The easiest way to describe it for me is a "Feminine scent for men". And another thing is, I don't think something like Black Orchid is anywhere near being so feminine to wear for a man. Perhaps it's because I know quite a few guys who wear britney spears Fantasy and Pink Sugar. Now that's crossing a line...
    For me, and I have probably said this multiple times, the biggest horror would be when someone opens my closet where I stock the perfumes and they see I use feminine ones. This hobby is already weird enough to non-Basenoters. Let alone if they would find out I'm buying feminine ones, or at least, buying perfumes that are marketed towards females.

I can imagine some people can easily get away with this. Let's not forget that Basenotes is a very multicultural place. We all live in very different "worlds". You have the working class. The rich ones, which is definitely here at Basenotes. Next to that comes personality: you have the fashionistas, people who are extravagant. Straight / gay and so on. If Basenotes would be a perfume, it would be a terribly complex blend of oils.

I see some people on this board that have issues with certain opinions. Almost attacking people personally because they think their opinion is the holy grail of all opinions. That is very wrong on a multicultural forum like Basenotes. It's simply arrogant.

Asking people to use different words or reformulate their posts, to me, that is not done. Everyone is free to speak out as he wants. When I do not like Bang by Marc Jacobs, I don't need a person telling me I should visit a tittie bar and spray on some Kouros. That happened in another topic by the way. Let's respect everyone's different opinions. And let's speak out freely.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 13th August 2010 at 03:04 AM.

I don't think of flamboyant as gay, rather colorful and flashy, in your face style. To me, a straight man with mohawk, stuff shaved on one side of his hair, a pink stripe shirt, madras shorts, and chuck taylors is flamboyant. A fragrance like this would match that description. This is a flamboyant fragrance.

I still remember, when I went in to smell this at Sephora a couple of years ago. A VERY attractive SA asked if I needed help, and I asked if I could smell Black Orchid. She replied with the typical "Oh that's for women" BS, and I explained that it's actually considered unisex now by even Tom Ford and many consider it unisex. So we walk over to the women's section and she begins spraying some into a little sample atomizer, and she sticks her nose in and smells and I kid you not replies "Ahhhhhhhh, you're right! It DOES smell like something a man would wear. Mmmmmmmm, this would smell SO sexy on a man!".
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I still remember, when I went in to smell this at Sephora a couple of years ago. A VERY attractive SA asked if I needed help, and I asked if I could smell Black Orchid. She replied with the typical "Oh that's for women" BS, and I explained that it's actually considered unisex now by even Tom Ford and many consider it unisex. So we walk over to the women's section and she begins spraying some into a little sample atomizer, and she sticks her nose in and smells and I kid you not replies "Ahhhhhhhh, you're right! It DOES smell like something a man would wear. Mmmmmmmm, this would smell SO sexy on a man!".
    To be honest, I think the SA tried to make you buy it immediately.

What surprises me tremendously, is that you ask to smell something and the SA makes you a sample of it, seriously, there is just no chance this would happen here in Belgium as far as I know. The only thing you can get here is a spray on a card and maybe, just maybe, if you ask it, they might spray some on your skin. They would rather drop dead then give out a sample.
    You guys in the USA are so lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    To be honest, I think the SA tried to make you buy it immediately.

What surprises me tremendously, is that you ask to smell something and the SA makes you a sample of it, seriously, there is just no chance this would happen here in Belgium as far as I know. The only thing you can get here is a spray on a card and maybe, just maybe, if you ask it, they might spray some on your skin. They would rather drop dead then give out a sample.
    You guys in the USA are so lucky.
    Oh yea, I forgot to mention that I made it clear from the beginning that I had already smelled it and wanted to know if I could get a sample to bring it home for testing. At our Sephoras they have 2+ ml decants that they will make samples for you with.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Ha, leave the guy a loan. He said that he felt you had to be flamboyant to were this he didn't say gay. Gay and flamboyant are not mutually inclusive. Some of the most flamboyant guys I know are straight and vise versa. I for one love this cologne and wear it. But I can understand that a lot of men and some women would steer away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Anthony View Post
    Ha, leave the guy a loan. He said that he felt you had to be flamboyant to were this he didn't say gay. Gay and flamboyant are not mutually inclusive. Some of the most flamboyant guys I know are straight and vise versa. I for one love this cologne and wear it. But I can understand that a lot of men and some women would steer away from it.
    Exactly, well put sir

Smile Re: Another Black Orchid Thread..

I don't think of flamboyant as gay, rather colorful and flashy, in your face style. To me, a straight man with mohawk, stuff shaved on one side of his hair, a pink stripe shirt, madras shorts, and chuck taylors is flamboyant. A fragrance like this would match that description. This is a flamboyant fragrance.

That's what I thought you were getting at in the first place. I see how "flamboyant" can have nothing to do with sexuality. It's a bit shallow to automatically assume that it does. Flamboyant def: "Strikingly bold or brilliant". There's nothing about sexuality in the definition. I guess the tables turned. The folks that were offended by the original statement should have left the silly stereotype alone. There's too much read into words at times.

I didn't get my drawers in a butch over it.

Since Black Orchid is so "FLASHY", I should sample it just to see for myself.

S

Quote Originally Posted by stevolution View Post
    \ Flamboyant def: "Strikingly bold or brilliant". There's nothing about sexuality in the definition. I guess the tables turned. The folks that were offended by the original statement should have left the silly stereotype alone. There's too much read into words at times.
    That is NOT the definition of flamboyant that I would use, nor do I expect it to be the one others might have been offended by. IMO, flamboyancy is generally a negative attribute. A closer definition to how I perceive it would be: "marked by ostentation but often tasteless; "a cheap showy rhinestone bracelet"; "a splashy half-page ad"".

That is NOT the definition of flamboyant that I would use, nor do I expect it to be the one others might have been offended by. IMO, flamboyancy is generally a negative attribute. A closer definition to how I perceive it would be: "marked by ostentation but often tasteless; "a cheap showy rhinestone bracelet"; "a splashy half-page ad"".
    I'd suggest you grab a dictionary, lol. I don't mean to be rude, but there's what you THINK a definition is, and what it actually is. I used it in the correct sense, in the way to get my feelings about this fragrance across. If I wanted to say "this is something a gay man would wear" I would have said that. There's a way of saying things with meaning to them, and there's just insulting people. I have no problem with gay people, I have gay friends, it's a personal preference. It's no different than me having a thing for Asian girls.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 15th August 2010 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevolution View Post
    That's what I thought you were getting at in the first place. I see how "flamboyant" can have nothing to do with sexuality. It's a bit shallow to automatically assume that it does. Flamboyant def: "Strikingly bold or brilliant". There's nothing about sexuality in the definition. I guess the tables turned. The folks that were offended by the original statement should have left the silly stereotype alone. There's too much read into words at times.

I didn't get my drawers in a butch over it.

Since Black Orchid is so "FLASHY", I should sample it just to see for myself.

S
    Well put too sir. Back on topic though, you should definitely try it. Tom Ford always gives out free samples, so you can get them that way. I think everyone should in fact try it and see what all the hype is about. It IS something to talk about because it does have huge character and personality.

I'd suggest you grab a dictionary, lol. I don't mean to be rude, but there's what you THINK a definition is, and what it actually is. I used it in the correct sense, in the way to get my feelings about this fragrance across. If I wanted to say "this is something a gay man would wear" I would have said that. There's a way of saying things with meaning to them, and there's just insulting people. I have no problem with gay people, I have gay friends, it's a personal preference. It's no different than me having a thing for Asian girls.
    First of all, I wasn't replying to anything you said. I was simply replying to what Stevolution said, and wasn't trying to instigate anything regarding sexual orientation. Second, that IS an official definition, the one I posted. That's word for word what the definition I found was, and I tend to agree moreso with that definition than the previous one.

Tom Fords Black Orchid is a BAD A** creation! Simply put!
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

Exactly. Just what the definition said. "Strikingly BOLD", "Brilliant", "Flashy".

Rather or not it's a tacky, gaudy sort of "flamboyancy" is up to the beholder. A Cheap rhinestone is certainly "flashy" and it can be "brilliant" in the sun, but I've see some ugly outrageous real stuff, too. Here's ANOTHER def, and yes...it is OFFICIAL.

Flamboyant
    Etymology: French, from present participle of flamboyer to flame, from Old French, from flambe
    Date: 1832

1 often capitalized : characterized by waving curves suggesting flames <flamboyant tracery> <flamboyant architecture>
    2 : marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior <a flamboyant performer>

Black Orchid is a wonderful and strong, sensual fragrance. It's not for the shy or prissy. Tom Ford wanted his Black Orchid to smell like something in particular:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...me-ingredients
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I asked Sephora to send me a sample of this with my order as they listed it as "Tom Ford Black Orchid Men's Fragrance" which I thought didn't sound right. Turns out there is no such thing, there's just this. Fine, still want to try it.This thread now has me even more curious. I'm pretty secure so I don't care about how this is marketed or whether its floral. If I like it, good enough. I also wear pink, purple, lavender and red, sometimes a combination of a couple of those! Surprise, women compliment me when I wear those colors (though they do when I wear black as well). Women are more impressed by style & presentation, and if you can pull off wearing a frag like Black Orchid, even better.
    Last edited by Naitch; 21st September 2010 at 04:34 AM.

I was going to purchase Grey Vetiver, then I smelled Black Orchid and purchased it immediately. This is a fragrance for the night.

If you like BO but find it too sweet or feminine, I suggest trying vintage Balahe. It does what I had hoped BO would do, and it's not too sweet or too floral for me.

I liked this a lot but now I find it really annoying. It can get really overwhelming. I find if I wear it one day, I can't wear it again till months later. It's really hard on the nose. I prefer the smoother Noir de Noir by TF.

Quote Originally Posted by Naitch View Post
    I asked Sephora to send me a sample of this with my order as they listed it as "Tom Ford Black Orchid Men's Fragrance" which I thought didn't sound right. Turns out there is no such thing, there's just this. Fine, still want to try it.
    That is interesting. I believe we're witnessing a scent that was released as a feminine that has so much traction with men that they're "tinkering" the designation.

I had awhile back noticed that it was routinely being sold in the men's department of department stores that clearly delineate the men's frag section from the women's.

It reminds me of Bandit, a woman's scent from the 20's that now has wayyyy more fans among men.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 21st September 2010 at 05:00 AM.

The SA at Sephora told me that Grey Vetiver, White Patchouli, and Black Orchid were all "unisex." If I recall, all of these fragrances were in both the men's and women's sections.

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    The SA at Sephora told me that Grey Vetiver, White Patchouli, and Black Orchid were all "unisex." If I recall, all of these fragrances were in both the men's and women's sections.
    I'm quite sure Black Orchid was released designated as a female scent. But in practice, it's making the leap.

Yeah, I can see that. The other day I was thinking about how it is probably a good idea to not put "For Her" or "Pour Femme" in the title of a fragrance....

The story is that Tom Ford's marching orders to the perfumers for Black Orchid were "make it smell like a man's crotch."

Now- here's the thing. Why would a woman want to smell that way to attract a man?

I've heard this story about the man's crotch as well. LOL.

Why you would try to compete against MKK is beyond me....

BINGO

Tom Ford EdP smells very unisex to me. I quite like it actually. To me it's very thick, dark, and rich. I could never pull this off here in AZ unless during the winter, and even then I can't wear it anywhere near my face because it will gross me out quickly. Single application to forearms is safest for me. I've been meaning to get this one for a while.

Unisex, profligate and provoking. Gourmand it is not. It's a spicy oriental with a touch of fruity notes.
    A work of art.

Just finished my decant of it the other night (wore it to sleep), it's too feminine -- said with confidence. Sweet, in a sickly way, but with an edge to it. I think of a gourmand thrown into a bag of makeup, shaken up, then thrown in your face. Though, there's no doubt that this is an intriguing fragrance; it just isn't for me, I don't wanna wear it, I don't wanna smell it, and I don't wanna be around it.

I really enjoy the drydown the most with BO. To me it has a carmel-like sweetness to it that I love. I also love the fact that I get 20+ hours out of it - great longevity! This one is another of my favorites. But yes, it has to be used very sparingly or everyone around you will be gagging. Give it time, try it out a few times, then see what you think.

Just finished my decant of it the other night (wore it to sleep), it's too feminine -- said with confidence. Sweet, in a sickly way, but with an edge to it. I think of a gourmand thrown into a bag of makeup, shaken up, then thrown in your face. Though, there's no doubt that this is an intriguing fragrance; it just isn't for me, I don't wanna wear it, I don't wanna smell it, and I don't wanna be around it.
    Sorry, I hadn't read this post before I posted earlier. I guess if you've given it a chance and don't like it, it's not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius32 View Post
    Unisex, profligate and provoking. Gourmand it is not. It's a spicy oriental with a touch of fruity notes.
    A work of art.
    +1. I have no idea where the cotton candy description comes from. My memory of this is as a dark sexy thing.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads