Code of Conduct

Default Gin Fizz (Re-issue) by Lubin - anyone tried yet?

I'm a longtime fan of the house of Lubin - wore the original L de Lubin and Eau Neuve back through the early '80s, and have been pleased generally with the house's revamp and with those two scents even in their re-issued form. I'm interested in the newly reissued Gin Fizz, but have not seen any comment so far on it. Luckyscent got rid of most of their Lubin stock except Idole, so I haven't been able to request samples along with my usual orders. I note that Lubin seems to have jacked up prices in the interim, from what I see on Aedes.

Has anyone stopped by Aedes or other locale and spritzed on a little Gin Fizz? I'd love to know your thoughts. Thanks so much.

J.

Default Re: Gin Fizz (Re-issue) by Lubin - anyone tried yet?

I had a sample of this in a recent order from First in Fragrance, Germany. I was so impressed with it I ordered a full bottle yesterday, which will be with me tomorrow. I never tried the original formulation and I would imagine it was probably better than this new release, but this is a lovely long lasting fragrance.

Craig,

Is it a citrus-dominant frag, or has it retained its herbal, quinine and juniper notes? Please do elaborate. Thanks.

Off-Scenter

I reviewed the Gin Fizz reissue here not long ago. I found it short-lived and generally disappointing, though with very enjoyable top notes.

Thumbs up Re: Gin Fizz (Re-issue) by Lubin - anyone tried yet?

On me it starts off very fresh. I can pick out the juniper berry notes which are spicy but not bitter and certainly give the fragrance that gin aroma, this is why I like it so much. The bergamot, lemon, and mandarin orange sit nicely in the mix, without any overpowering the other. The mid notes list Iris, Galbanum, Orange Blossom, Rose-Absolue and Jasmine. The main one's I detect on my skin are the Orange blossom and Iris, but each person due to the skin chemistry would probably be able to detect the other's more. I also detect a different aromatic/herbal note coming through which has to be the galbanum, as this is an aromatic gum resin if my memory is still working lol. The base notes give it a lovely warmth and the main gin note lasts right into the drydown. I can still smell it a good 5+ hours later and can also smell it on my collar the following morning, where my neck has rubbed against a shirt.

Overall it's good stuff

I've got the original formulation. From what I hear the recent reissue has more citrus in it, not in general hesperidic but plain light citrus. The original is fresh green, slightly bitter (mandarin rind, lemon) right from the start. It doesn't tickle the nose to much. That effect might be rendered more efficiently with contemporary aromachemicals - the original is of 1955! When I drink Gin Fizz I don't get a tickling either. So what? The drydown is creamy woody - ever drank a fizz? Besides of being a strange attempt to literally expect an olfactory experience that the name evokes, this is true to its name in the original version. The reissue may be a bit overdone. Gin Fizz as a drink is old fashined by now, so, who knows?

Didn't most gin fizzes contain a splash of orange flower water? Especially, as I recall the ones designated a "Ramos" gin fizz. I recall the bitterness and tangy quality of the original Lubin Gin Fizz - it was not an overtly "boozy" fragrance, but it interpreted the complexities of gin very nicely. I was fearful that the re-issue may have been dumbed down to make it more modern and polite - any opinions here?

Must put it on my to-do list to drink a gin fizz while this lovely late summer weather lasts.

The new Gin Fizz has more citrus on the top notes, but the the heart and base smell identical to me.
    Evenstar

This sounds like a very intriguing scent, either in the original or reformulated version. I like the combination of notes.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I used Ginn Fizz cologne in 1960-70 exclusively, also consumed the cocktail on occasion exclusively. What is the diference with the new one?
    I loved the old one and just out of curiosity I looked if it is still available. Shocked by the $ 150.00 price tag.
    Loes
    Last edited by jeannette krane; 23rd October 2011 at 04:32 AM. Reason: typing error

Correction: I used Ginn Fizz in 1960-1970.
    Loes

Hey, all,

It is SO WEIRD that this got a bump today. I had Gin Fizz on my test list for a LONG TIME now, and finally tested it today because I received a decant along with many others on Thursday.

It opens very lemony, then it dries down musky and cucumbery, in my honest opinion. I put it in my wishlist. I think it is unique, and would especially be refreshing in the Spring and Summer, IMO. Love it!
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

OMG! And I just read on Luckyscent that the scent was created for GRACE KELLEY. This just moved to the top of my wishlist.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

I smelled this at Aedes a couple of months ago, not memorable to be quite honest, however, the new Penhaligon's, Juniper Sling, sounds AMAZING.

I remember a SA at Henri Bendel trying hard to persuade my wife to buy this. Although she thought it was OK, she didn't like it enough to make the purchase.

Sur la Plage

I thought it was OK, but nothing worth purchasing.