Code of Conduct
    DeepSilence

Angry Air will smell Lalique PH !!

Nowadays whenever i arrive in a street, i can find 2-3-4 people who wears Encre Noir or Lalique PH.
    Both of them were my wishlist. I tried them before and i had a plan to buy those. finally today i bought Lalique. but i'm thinking how can i wear it when every people smells it!
    I'm scaring what will happen in winter?! How can i wear it when air and wind will smell Lalique?!
    Real story: About two months ago i arrived to a fragrance store. The store had 3 rows cupboard in height of store. Guess what did i see?
    First Row: Just Carolina Herrera CH(M) (About 50-70 number of CH)
    Second Row: Kenzo Flower (50-70)
    Third Row: Divided to three parts: First part was for Azzaro PH, Second Part was for Pour Un Homme De Caron. third part was for Encre Noir.

I asked him why did you do this?
    He said: These are the best fragrances in the world!!
    Me: I don't think so. these are fine, but are not the best.
    After several minutes discussing he said:
    Actually, it shows that i trust to what i sell. People will trust me, and be sure most of them will buy one of these! He said: i'm the best seller in this region! People will arrive and asks me about Burberry London, and they will exit with a CH !!

I don't want to talk about this type of marketing. But it destroys attraction of fragrance market.
    It seems that it's Lalique and Encre Noir turn for my city.
    Joop and Fahrenheit had similar destiny here, and now a few people like to wear them.

Did you have this experience in your region, and you could not use your favourite frags?

Default Re: Air will smell Lalique PH !!

Hmmm, very interesting situation.

Here in North America, I think some scents like Aqua Di Gio, Le Male, (even Terre D'Hermes lately) and a few others have become so popular that I smell them fairly frequently.

Now, that being said.... you feeling like you can't wear them is only dependent on you believing that you wear a fragrance to smell unique. to me, just because someone else likes the way a frag smells, doesn't mean I like it any less. Sometimes I just want to blend in and be an average person, sometimes I want to stand out. I just depends on the situation.

as for that store you walked into, that's just very strange indeed. I can't even imagine that. Could you even call that a perfume store?
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 3rd August 2010 at 10:58 PM.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, Lavender Palm, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I can understand the rest, but ENCRE NOIR? Well, at least you live in a place where art is appreciated?

Anyway, it's nice to smell unique, but don't get obsessed with it, Especially when we're talking mainstream brands. I spend the summer in Kuwait, and the rest of the year in Canada. The popular fragrances in both countries are somewhat identical, at least when we're talking major retail stores. Aqua Di Gio, Jean Paul Gautlier, Pink Sugar, Ed Hardy, and various trashy candy/boring aquatics. I only feel bad because Jean Paul Gautlier is popular, I love cinnamon candles and it smells just like them . I'm yet to be in a place where Encre Noir is a best seller, or even close to that!
    Last edited by Ekove; 4th August 2010 at 11:47 PM.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Hmmm, very interesting situation.

Here in North America, I think some scents like Aqua Di Gio, Le Male, (even Terre D'Hermes lately) and a few others have become so popular that I smell them fairly frequently.

Now, that being said.... you feeling like you can't wear them is only dependent on you believing that you wear a fragrance to smell unique. to me, just because someone else likes the way a frag smells, doesn't mean I like it any less. Sometimes I just want to blend in and be an average person, sometimes I want to stand out. I just depends on the situation.

as for that store you walked into, that's just very strange indeed. I can't even imagine that. Could you even call that a perfume store?

Yes you are true. It depends to situation. I think wearing fragrance have several dimensions. one of them is feeling unique.
    It's very normal that many people wear just one fragrance. I don't want to be selfish. But when between hundreds or thousands perfume, for example 5% of people wear just one fragrance, it's a large number, and abnormal. I told you what i saw in that store. not just him, imagine other sellers at least have 3-4 Encre Noir for sale in their showcase, but they lesser concentrate to EN. Instead you can't find for example Rive Gauche, even one.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    I can understand the rest, but ENCRE NOIR? Well, at least you live in a place where art is appreciate?

Anyway, it's nice to smell unique, but don't get obsessed with it, Especially when we're talking mainstream brands. I spend the summer in Kuwait, and the rest of the year in Canada. The popular fragrances in both countries are somewhat identical, at least when we're talking major retail stores. Aqua Di Gio, Jean Paul Gautlier, Pink Sugar, Ed Hardy, and various trashy candy/boring aquatics. I only feel bad because Jean Paul Gautlier is popular, I love cinnamon candles and it smells just like them . I'm yet to be in a place where Encre Noir is a best seller, or even close to that!
    Thanks for compliment. so I think Encre Noir have made artistic ;-)

Maybe i'm sensitive about Lalique and Encre Noir beacause those are such as superstar in large number of Florals or Aquatics that sometimes i can't find difference between them.

Hamid,
    I agree with Ekove. What a nice problem to have--living where Encre Noire is overused instead of Acqua Di Gio! Don't worry too much about others. Wear them and enjoy them. There are plenty of other scents you can use in order to smell unique.

Go for Encre Noir. Its one of the best out there!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

DeepSilence

thanks for all assurance. I got Lalique PH. I think those are similar to each other. but EN is more strong in base.

Here in Brazil what you most feel in man are Le Male, Joop, Acqua di Gio, Fahrenheit, 212, Armani Code. You can find plenty of options in stores, but it seems that people stick only with the ones that are known.

But I understand you Hamid. It seems that you get sick fastly of a fragrance if you start to see everyone using it (well, at least I get sick...)

I must say its a unique situation that these are the two which are over used in your city!

I share the same sentiment as you in that I don't really like wearing scents that are worn by allot of different people, and for some reason the sales people at the bay keep pushing their Givinchy Pi/Very Irresistible/Pi Neo/Play saying its the most popular fragrance in the world etc etc.

Approval and acceptance by others in our community is an important factor in shaping what we think we like!

Most people like to be accepted and appreciated for having good taste and so we all factor in whatever those around say is "good". This is learned behavior and it affects our decisions about what we buy and wear much more than we think. Acceptance by others is a strong guide to teach and shape what we actually like in our fragrance choices. Your community has discovered Lalique, but we at basenotes are also very affected by what our community approves of as well. If others around approve of a fragrance, that fact alone will add several points to its likeability score in our minds.

Even we basenoters who are proud of our fragrance independence and creative originality follow the pack. We read carefully the new reviews of other basenotes members, various bloggers, we study what Bois d' Jasmin, or The Guide, NowSmellThis, 1000 Fragrances, foetidus, Off Scenter, or Nathan Branch etc. have to say and we increase the desirability of the NEW, unknown fragrance, before we have even tried it if one of our group says - "I love this perfume or that oud, what a find!" - well it must be pretty good right? Our peer group is selected from the web community that we are participants in and we follow closely what our basenotes web community approves of. We are not too different from your local community but our community is online and not bound by physical location.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 5th August 2010 at 03:30 PM.