Code of Conduct

Default yet another aromatic fougere newb

Hi all,
    Just looking for quick suggestions/opinions off the cuff...
    Which aromatic fougere would you recommend to me? I'm a white collar professional (obviously) looking for a "daily driver" (affordable!) in the fall/winter months.
    Here's what I've tried...

YSL Rive Gauche- I worship the stuff, I have a bottle but probably won't be getting another at the current rising prices. I feel comfortable wearing it with almost any ensemble. The only times it has ever felt out of place was in a tux, or when I'm dressed like a total slob.
    Penhaligon's Sartorial- Very interesting on the front end, but the honey/wax gets old and it feels just overall too fancy for a daily driver. I feel out of place since I don't own a tweed jacket with leather elbow pads.
    Caron Troisieme Homme- I like it much better than Sartorial, but not as much as RG. Also the prominent muskiness makes it feel a bit too fancy for a daily driver to my nose. I've read others calling it an "Easter Sunday" scent and I think I agree.
    Drakkar Noir- I find to be acceptable to use since I already own a small bottle, but I will not be buying it again. I think its the sweet/mint stuff that I dont care for, but I'm not sure. Also, it is a "vintage" bottle and has lost a bit of spunk off the top end. When I tried a brand new bottle in a store I liked it a bit better.

Well I think that's all I've tried, what do you think fellas?

Default Re: yet another aromatic fougere newb

Frank Los Angeles

Frank no2 is a good one... also i love my azzaro pour homme and use it a lot. Suits any ocation.

With reformulations, who knows if what anyone recommends will be what you would receive! That said, I'll mention GrigioPerla.

Azzaro Pour Homme - Original.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Penhaligon's Sartorial is the best in class in my opinion.

I don't really get the fancy vibe, though it is elegant.

Azzaro pour Homme and Invasion Barbare.

Well, I would say you already have the best in YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, but that's just my opinion. True, the old tin can version is getting pretty pricey, but I'm starting to see the glass bottle version showing up on discounter websites, albeit not yet at major savings.

Check out Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and Azzaro Pour Homme. Of course people around here will tell you that the vintage of these was much better, but I think the current formulations are both very acceptable, not to mention available and reasonably priced.

Sound Scents

One that will be quite pricey and difficult to find even a sample of is Patou pour Homme Privé. That said, as aromatic fougères go, that is just about as good as it gets, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme - A Classic.
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland - Very affordable and good though simple.

If you find you have extra cash and you want to spend it then these would be great!

Oxford & Cambridge By Czech & Speake
    Fougere Royale By Houbigant.

Thanks for all the replies so far... I got some suggestions I expected, and some I'd never heard of! I'm very curious about Tsar as well. I think I just need to start off by buying a bottle of Azzaro (might be able to try this one out somewhere though) Patrick, and Tsar and hope I can sell off the 2nd and 3rd placers

A Taste of Heaven, by Kilian
    Oxford & Cambridge, Czech & Speake

Azzaro PH, my all time favourite fougere, great for daily wear

Quote Originally Posted by tanguyr View Post
    Check out Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and Azzaro Pour Homme. Of course people around here will tell you that the vintage of these was much better, but I think the current formulations are both very acceptable, not to mention available and reasonably priced.
    That's it!

I'd also recommend:
    Lacoste (original) - Green and white box/bottle

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi. The most enjoyable aromatic fougere I've encountered. It expertly straddles the thin line between professional and friendly, business and comfort. It can be worn all year as it has a zesty, citrus top, and a warm masculine musk in the base. Prominent aromatics include sage, bay leaf, pepper and lavender. The wood is cedar and Vetiver. I love this stuff. Can't recommend it enough.

1828 by Histoires de Parfums is also worth looking at.
    Top 5 Winter Frags:
    1) Tabac Rouge
    2) Scent of Peace for Him
    3) Amyris Homme
    4) Paris*L.A.
    5) Blackbir
    d

L'Occitan PH, and to me, the reformulated version of Azzaro still smells pretty damn good...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Fougere Royale By Houbigant.
    This one is great.

At the greener end of the spectrum, you could try Tuscany per uomo, as well as Etat Libre d'Orange Eloge d'un traitre, which is niche, but not excessively expensive, and it lasts quite well.

Technically, Kouros is a fougere as well. But if you found Troisieme homme musky, I don't know how you'd describe Kouros. Still, the current version is cleaner than the old one.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Some great suggestions above and I'd like to add a couple more.

Esencia pour Homme by Loewe - $

Immortal by House of Matriarch - $$

Quote Originally Posted by DocRokRx View Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far... I got some suggestions I expected, and some I'd never heard of! I'm very curious about Tsar as well. I think I just need to start off by buying a bottle of Azzaro (might be able to try this one out somewhere though) Patrick, and Tsar and hope I can sell off the 2nd and 3rd placers
    You're off to a good start. Haven't smelled Patrick but Azzaro PH and Tsar are very good scents. Azzaro is on the spicy side while Tsar is a bit soapy. Certainly enough differences between them to own both if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bbfan View Post
    You're off to a good start. Haven't smelled Patrick but Azzaro PH and Tsar are very good scents. Azzaro is on the spicy side while Tsar is a bit soapy. Certainly enough differences between them to own both if possible.
    Thanks for the input!

While your choices so far are already great, adding a few classics to the diverse and considerate aforementioned recommendations: Davidoff Relax, Francesco Smalto PH, Gucci Nobile, Guy Laroche Horizon, Caractere by Daniel Hechter, Duc de Vervins by Houbigant. While not all of these fragrances being 100% fougere, some of them also including a chypre, leather, non-fougere "green", woody etc. dominant note, the fougere hints also included wonderfully round up the mainly classic and timelessly stylish fragrance experience.