Code of Conduct

Default Anyone wear fragrance oils?

So I know most of us are connoisseur/aficianados of authentic fine colognes/perfumes, but have you ever bought the oil "type" that corresponds to a designer/other fragrance? Generally, the oils smell very similar to the actual fragrance, but at a fraction of the price. And they tend to last longer on your skin. So have you, and if so, what fragrance was it, and how similar was it to the actual fragrance?

Also, there are original oils that are not based on designer fragrances...do you own any of those? I have 2 oils: one is a Creed Millesime Imperial type oil, and the other is called "River of Honey". The Creed type oil smells a lot like MI, though I have yet to try them side by side. The River of Honey is an original, but the drydown smells a lot like Chergui, but imo better. And it last ALL DAY. Really, you can smell it well into the next day on both clothes and skin.

To be honest, I never thought I would settle for the "oil types", but as expensive as some of these niche fragrances are, I will definetely continue to consider these as alternatives to the actual fragrances. But only fragrances in excess of $100. All I need now is to find the oil type to Amouage Reflection and SDV and I'll be set!

But yes, do share...

Default Re: Anyone wear fragrance oils?

No one?

The only oil I keep an eye out for is Mysore Sandalwood. Used to wear it in the 70s. Pretty well impossible to find - but the Amouage Santal Attar does the trick for me. There is a Spanish house (more into cosmetics) whose name I forget who also had a very pricey rendition (around USD 120 for about 12 ml) and the story goes that the owner had stocked up before Mysore Sandalwood dried up, and it smelt like the real deal - will re-investigate. Either of these can be used to augment so-called sandalwood scents - that's the only experimentation I have done in this regard

i tried it once a while back with Lacoste PH, and it wound up not smelling like the original... never again.

waist of cash IMO - go w/ authentic

Knock-offs: not my thing.
    Other: I wear a simple patchouli oil every once in a while. It's nice, feels different than wearing any of the EdC/EdT/EdP that constitute the rest of my wardrobe.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I have a lot , most was purchased before i started this hobby. If you buy it from the right place thy smell 90-95% like the real thing i even own maybe 5 that is at 100%. The only thing i don't like about them is that they take a long time to evaporate leaving your skin shiny and wet. If not from that i would own more and wear often.

If you are interested i could give you a great deal on the ones that i have left.

Yes, I do! Kai perfume oil. And I'm dying to try Kiera Mai fragrance oils.

Thanx for responding Mr. Reasonable. And speaking of Sandalwood, I still recall a guy coming across a guy that was wearing the most amazing fragrance. When I asked what he was wearing, he said it was an oil called Indian Sandalwood. It smelled really good on him, and I often see it offerred online what many oil suppliers, but I seldom ever see it in person at the oil vendors. But I'll be sure to try a small sample of it sometime soon...

Quote Originally Posted by MdGrwl View Post
    i tried it once a while back with Lacoste PH, and it wound up not smelling like the original... never again.

waist of cash IMO - go w/ authentic
    Sorry that didn't work out for you. Interestingly enough, most of the oils smell exactly like the fragrance, from my experience. For some reason though, I have yet to be satisfied with any of the oil versions of Gucci Pour Homme 2. They always seem to have too much cinnamon in it.

Cmax, the two oils that I havef don't take very long to evaporate. After I rub my wrists together, it's gone within minutes. And actually, the fact that it doesn't vanish instantly is almost a reminder that the the scent isn't going anywhere instantly either, which is a good thing. What oils do you still have. Like I said in the initial post though, I would only be interested in oils that correspond with $100+ fragrances. I was searching HARD for an oil for Ambre Narguile boy! But unfortunately, I had to drop about $145 on the travel kit. Didn't wanna do it, but I think it was worth it. Now, I'm looking for an oil for Tauer's Moroccain Desert, L'Artisan Havana Vanille, and SDV. So far I'm 0 for 3. lol But atleast I found that MI oil!

Sorella, I never heard of those oils. Just did a search on them both. I may have to spring for a sample sometime...

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Also, there are original oils that are not based on designer fragrances...do you own any of those?
    I have numerous 1 ml "imps" and 5ml vials from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, which produces its own fragrances along with many traditional candle dressing oils.

One problem I've noticed with perfume oils is that some of them can be way too strong to enjoy if left undiluted. The Gucci Pour Homme 2 oils that have too much cinnamon in them for your taste might only need to be diluted with a carrier oil.

Thanx for responding Mr. Reasonable. And speaking of Sandalwood, I still recall a guy coming across a guy that was wearing the most amazing fragrance. When I asked what he was wearing, he said it was an oil called Indian Sandalwood. It smelled really good on him, and I often see it offerred online what many oil suppliers, but I seldom ever see it in person at the oil vendors. But I'll be sure to try a small sample of it sometime soon...
    Sadly, finding real Mysore Sandalwood Oil is all but impossible these days and the real thing is quite pricey if you can. The tree is basically an endangered species, which is why most perfumers have turned to Australian and Pacific Sandalwood (quite different) and various synthetics, which I don't know much about but I'm sure others here do.

I think you'll have a harder time finding fragrance oils that match scents that cost $100+ a bottle, because many of those scents that cost more do use more expensive ingredients - ingredients that the fragrance oil suppliers can't afford to use in their cheap knockoffs if they still want to turn a profit. Granted, not all expensive scents use more quality ingredients, and I'm sure even the cost of a Xerjoff or Amouage scent, in raw ingredients, is less than $25 a bottle in most cases, but even raising the cost of the ingredients a dollar or two is going to eat heavily into the profit of a fragrance oil that sells for what, a few dollars an ounce?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Hey Sculpture. To be honest, I constantly hear people referencing the superior ingredients of some fragrances, but to be honest-who really knows what the hell is in these frags, and what the cost is? I know this much-my MI oil smells a lot like MI to me, so if the scent can be duplicated and still sell at a reasonable price, then how much are these perfume houses really spending to produce one bottle of thier so called superior ingredient fragrances?

To Hob: maybe you're right about the diluting, but all I know is the two gucci ph2 oils that I have tried didn't quite capture the fragrance I'm familiar with.

To Mr. Reasonable-I'm sorry you can't readily find your precious Mysore Sandlewood oil. Maybe other sandlewoods come close enough to suffice? Check out the site that I got my MI oil from. They seem to have a large offerring of oils.
    http://haywardenterprises.com/index.html

Thank you.

DeepSilence

Yes. I use fragrance oil. It depends which company made it. personally i use SFA oils. i think SFA is in Romania. I didn't find any difference. LUZI oils are fine too. Both of them have acceptable quality.

Someone in Cairo once sold me an oil, claiming it was the essence of a popular fragrance. I didn't like it too much.

I have been wearing oils since 2005. The oils smell just as good and last longer than the originals. I get compliments all the time and people want to buy them (especially in this economy).

So I know most of us are connoisseur/aficianados of authentic fine colognes/perfumes, but have you ever bought the oil "type" that corresponds to a designer/other fragrance? Generally, the oils smell very similar to the actual fragrance, but at a fraction of the price. And they tend to last longer on your skin. So have you, and if so, what fragrance was it, and how similar was it to the actual fragrance?

Also, there are original oils that are not based on designer fragrances...do you own any of those? I have 2 oils: one is a Creed Millesime Imperial type oil, and the other is called "River of Honey". The Creed type oil smells a lot like MI, though I have yet to try them side by side. The River of Honey is an original, but the drydown smells a lot like Chergui, but imo better. And it last ALL DAY. Really, you can smell it well into the next day on both clothes and skin.

To be honest, I never thought I would settle for the "oil types", but as expensive as some of these niche fragrances are, I will definetely continue to consider these as alternatives to the actual fragrances. But only fragrances in excess of $100. All I need now is to find the oil type to Amouage Reflection and SDV and I'll be set!

But yes, do share...

Don't know if it would be considered an oil, but the only thing I have ever worn that was close was Creed Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse Huile Parfumee. Found it very heavy and sticky on my skin.

I bought a few oils when I was in Marrakesh, two of them knockoffs of Tobacco Vanille. And Tuscan Leather. The TL is a dead ringer to the original.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I wear oils from the middle east. Most are from Al Haramain.

i found a display on the counter at my local kruasers that have these small bottles of scented oil for 1.99 to my surprize they are wonderful my fav is sex on the beach and river of honey i also have poppy Annuci and champagne..they do not smell like knock offs and the scents lingers for hrs..they have rollerballs..i enjoy adding to the collection..I googled river of honey and it lead me to this site

Krishna Musk from Song of India is a lovely clean sandalwoody musk for the money. It's super concentrated and lasts all day.
    Smell my finger.

There was a fragrance oil on eBay that was called "POLYUandTHECRANKSTERSDIDPEARL" it's dissapeared.

^^^ What type of fragrance was it? What notes? The title is very absurd.
    Smell my finger.