Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Violette Précieuse by Caron (1913)

Violette Précieuse by Caron (1913) is one of the Caron fragrances I think is under appreciated. It is rather dissimilar to the other Carons and not alone in fragrances in tribute to Violet, but somehow I find it very pleasing. The fragrances is still available though I think it is discontinued. Now and again, when I want to wear something out of the ordinary, out comes the bottle from the vault ( refrigerator). So, lets talk about violet in fragrance. What are your favorites and why would be my question. It seems as though the early part of the 1900's saw an explosion of classic fragrances to be as I look back-wards in time.

As an addendum, the bottle design is very nice indeed.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Violette Précieuse by Caron (1913)

Violet Precieuse is a lovely scent ,D. I love Apres L'Ondee too.
    Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe is one fantastic fragrance that I hope Serena brings back.
    I also love The Unicorn Spell .
    I wish CDG X Stephen Jones smelt better on me because I did want to love it. Not so fond of Love in Black By Creed.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

I have not had the pleasure of smelling Violette Précieuse, but have loved violets scents for many years. I associate them with the little Flavigny violet pastilles my grandmother used to buy for me. (These pastilles are still being made-- the hard white oval pastilles with a tiny piece of anise in the center are sold in oval tins decorated with violets.)

I think my favorite violets scent has to be Annick Goutal's sweet offering, La Violette. I love the little bit of spicy rose in there. This is a long-lasting fragrance as far as violets go.

I do own others but Goutal's is the best all around for my taste.

30 Roses, I love those little candies! I still buy them from time to time. N_Tesla, my favorite violets are CdG Stephen Jones and Keiko Mecheri Genie des Bois.

There is a new reorchestrated version in a different modern bottle. I haven't tried it but heard it's a disaster. You can find it on both Caron web and Ebay.

I have Violette Precieuse, the older version has this strange stewed celery note in with all the sweet violet. The new modern one in the purple box is missing the celery note which is sad. By the way the note really worked.

N'Aimez Qui Moi has loads of violets in with the roses, but only go for the extract which is the original.

I also like Penhaligons Violetta very sweet candied violets
    Serge Lutens Bois de Violette is so gorgeous.
    DONNA

I think that, when we consider violet as a predominant note in perfume, we should differentiate between violet flower and violet leaf, both quite beautiful and distinct. I am a fan of violet scents but find myself quite fickle in this regard, never staying with one favorite for long. I cycle through them. Perhaps it's seasonal.

Violette Précieuse has a lovely combination of violet blossom and leaf, enhanced with orris and orange blossom to my nose. It's not as sweet and innocent as Guerlain Meteorites. Penhaligon's Violetta and similar violet heavy perfumes. It's also more mature and sensual than many violet fragrances from just enough indoles from the orange blossom. Also, unlike a lot of violet frangrances, it doesn't scream.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Violet is such a quirky note...I adore Violet Precieuse and it is the only full bottle of Caron currently in my collection. My other two faves are Serge Lutens Bois de Violette and L'Artisans Verte Violette.

My own personal take on notes of violet is that violet comes across best when accompanied by simple partner notes. For example, in the Lutens it's all violets and wood. L'Artisan's is watery green and violet. VERY SIMPLE pairings - I think that's the key to enjoying violet!

Sometimes 'violet' frags end up powdery, which turn some noses away.

Aimez Moi - I like that the anise/licorice notes turn the violet into a rich gourmand, sexy rather than girly and young.

Liz Claiborne Vivid - I like that has warmth and depth as well as sweet violet.

This is a Caron I haven't tried yet. Hmm... must do so. i don't like violet as a star note, but love it when paired iwht rose, etc. Tesla, what year of V.P are you sampling?
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Blog Entries

BayKat; I don't think that the bottle I have is vintage, so I would presume that it is current formulation.

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    This is a Caron I haven't tried yet. Hmm... must do so. i don't like violet as a star note, but love it when paired iwht rose, etc. Tesla, what year of V.P are you sampling?