Code of Conduct

Exclamation Lacoste Essential Sport - Good alternative to Chrome?

Just curious if any of you guys have tried this one yet. I smelled it on a test strip briefly at Macy's a couple of weekends ago, but was in a hurry so I wasn't able to give it a proper wearing. I remember thinking that it may be a nice alternative to Chrome, as Chrome is just a little too sharp and unpleasant for my liking. I was hoping to get some feedback and opinions on this one as a blue/aquatic light summer fragrance.
    Last edited by Shaheen; 4th August 2010 at 04:05 AM.

Default Re: Lacoste Essential Sport - Good alternative to Chrome?

Anyone? I've seen this on display at many major department stores in the area.

I gave it a quick card test the other day. I was in a hurry though, and nothing stood out at the time to make me pay more attention to it and the card was quickly lost in the shuffle.

Despite not being impressed by my cursory sniffing, I know that it's not fair to write off a fragrance based on a quick sampling like that. I'll try and test it or get samples the next time I make it to Younkers.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Lightbulb Re: Lacoste Essential Sport - Good alternative to Chrome?

Alright so I stopped by Elder Beerman today and sprayed this one on my skin. After 6+ hours, it's still going strong, so longevity is pretty good. It's extremely linear from top to bottom. In fact, I remember seeing a YouTube reviewer (I think it was Cubby) mention that Lacoste uses a technique in Essential to cause the base notes to last throughout the entire life of the fragrance (some type of time-release technology I think it was). It would appear that Lacoste uses this technique in Essential Sport as well. As far as the scent, it reminds me of Chrome mixed with Nautica Voyage. It has the sharpness and harshness of Chrome combined with the blue soapiness of Voyage. I don't care for this very much at all. It's not a scrubber, but I have no desire to wear it again.

I sampled this on skin because it was the only thing at Sephora that I hadn't sampled yet and I hadn't sprayed a SotD yet.

Probably the most abysmal new release I've smelled in a while, there was absolutely nothing interesting, noteworthy, or quality in it. This is coming from someone who actually loves fresh scents too. Avoid at all costs.
    I refuse to sink.

It's a SPORT fragrance. Does it ever occur to basenoters that "SPORT" fragrances MAY be meant for sporting purposes and linearity, simplicity and a simple clean smell is desirable? i.e. after a workout, on the way to a stinky gym, practice, ect..? SURPRISE! Who would have thought?

"Yes...let's invest in complex fragrance, with proper top, middle and basenotes, with the highest quality ingredients....to be used in sport?" Get real. Not going to happen.

Going to sample this one tomorrow, with a mindset of SPORT usage, not a dress shirt and a night out at the bars or club.

It's like saying Doritos are terrible because they don't taste special next to your 8 oz filet mignon and steak sauce.
    Last edited by G Man; 16th January 2011 at 01:47 PM.

I prefer Chrome.

Sur la Plage

I personally would not wear this for any occasion/purpose.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 16th January 2011 at 02:56 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

As an Essential Sport apologist, I was actually going to create a new thread asking why this fragrance doesn't seem to get any love from the longtime fragrance heads but lo! There is already a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    It's like saying Doritos are terrible because they don't taste special next to your 8 oz filet mignon and steak sauce.
    Yes, I agree completely with this. When something has the word "sport" in it, you should know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal
    Probably the most abysmal new release I've smelled in a while, there was absolutely nothing interesting, noteworthy, or quality in it. This is coming from someone who actually loves fresh scents too. Avoid at all costs.
    lolwut? I actually tend to agree that there is nothing overly interesting, noteworthy or quality in it but disagree that this makes it a bad fragrance or something to avoid. To the contrary, I'd actually argue those qualities are what make this a very safe, priced to own summer daytime fragrance. In other words, for me, the glass is half full.

I love Lacoste Essential Sport (certainly much better than Chrome). Essential Sport is an awesome super tart grapefruit and ginger blast that is very refreshing and actually lasts all day (due to Lacoste using a new technique to extend top notes).

Anyway, it's a summer favorite of mine, but then again, I'm not prejudiced against sport scents. (besides Essential Sport, I also love Burberry Sport, Armani Sport Code (gasp!), & Allure Homme Sport Cologne Sport).
    Last edited by BrianH1016; 8th February 2012 at 07:25 PM.

Lacoste Essential Sport is pretty much the definition of bland. Totally inoffensive but completely unoriginal. The longevity on my skin is also horrendous. Disappears within an hour, even with around 6 sprays. I only ever wear it around the house. If you're choosing between this and Chrome, I'd go for Chrome every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Lacoste Essential Sport is pretty much the definition of bland. Totally inoffensive but completely unoriginal. The longevity on my skin is also horrendous. Disappears within an hour, even with around 6 sprays. I only ever wear it around the house. If you're choosing between this and Chrome, I'd go for Chrome every time.
    That's odd, because on my skin, Essential Sport is one of my longer lasting fresh/citrus scents. But I'm one who tends to spray all my fragrances on my clothes as well to hold onto top notes longer. (especially fresh/summer fragrances).

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    That's odd, because on my skin, Essential Sport is one of my longer lasting fresh/citrus scents. But I'm one who tends to spray all my fragrances on my clothes as well to hold onto top notes longer. (especially fresh/summer fragrances).
    It's probably just my skin chemistry with regards to the longevity. Just does nothing for me sadly.

Ehh it is just okay...lets just say I swapped my bottle for a 5ml decant of MR

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Lacoste Essential Sport is pretty much the definition of bland. Totally inoffensive but completely unoriginal. The longevity on my skin is also horrendous. Disappears within an hour, even with around 6 sprays.
    Is this on very hot days? If not, and this happens a lot with other fragrances, you should probably try an odorless body lotion before you apply your fragrances. I've worn it on 80ish degree days and gotten like 8+ hours out of it.