Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Interesting Enough to Consider, August 2010

Once again, It might be nice for people to post things they consider interesting enough to try or things they might be considering for purchase in one place so that we can all have an look at what people are chasing up. For that reason, I'm proposing that people add their "to try" or "perhaps to buy" items here, with maybe a few words about what it is that piques their interest in them.

I got some samples of the Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumière Noire pour Homme and APOM pour Homme, and I am considering the first of these for purchase. It makes a very smooth and sophisticated, but slightly spicy impression that I find intriguing. The price seems a bit steep, but not impossible. In the meanwhile, I'm wearing a bit from the sample every other day or so. So far, it seems as though this may be among my next few purchases.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Default Re: Interesting Enough to Consider, August 2010

Jaime, this thread is just as good an idea now as it was last month and, as such, deserves to become a monthly thing.

I am gearing up for autumn with a little opulence; samples of Lyric Man, Safran Troublant, Idole de Lubin, and Cuir Ottoman are on the way. Philosykos and Havana Vanille are not in keeping with that theme but I liked them enough in passing to order samples to give them full wearings.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 4th August 2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Ballsed up my spelling

I had written in last month's thread that Field Notes from Paris was on my to-buy list. Well, pulling out my sample again after a while made it disappear from that list - smelling too artificial to my nose.
    Still working on the Enslaved and awaiting also samples of the other two. Need to give Ubar another full wearing after a while now in order to see whether it should go on the to-buy list. Boxeuses is on the list, but fortunately and generously I will be given a sample to make sure first. I have thought about sampling the DelRae Roth fragrances, but they are hard to find here. Need to investigate further before I spend money on samples . Also put Noir Patchouli (HdP) on my to-buy list, but this one can wait. I sampled some By Kilians again last week and I still remain unimpressed, actually very unimpressed. I think that's it...

Basenotes Institution

Many of my 'Want to Try' are piling up: Wonderwood, Bang, Vetyverio, Nuit de Tubereuse, Cologne Parfumeur, Tonka Imperiale to name a few...

Something which really impressed me recently was Lutens Five o'clock au Gingembre. I only sampled it with a single spray on the back of my hand, but I think I might have found the tea scent for me (I don't like Tea For Two, there's something in it which really puts me off).
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

I have spent so much money in the last month that I think in August I should not buy even samples lol
    But I think i spent it well. I`m waiting now a bottle of Jil Sander Man Scent 79, Lancome Magie Noire and Guerlain 180 Ans.
    I wanted to try the rest of Lancome scents in La Collection, after i bought a bottle of cuir de lancome for a bargain price.

I'll try to be rickbr's partner in abstention for the next couple of months, after a bout of recent purchases. (But I still want to sniff the new L'Artisan vetiver!)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Cool Re: Interesting Enough to Consider, August 2010

I'll be sniffing the 3 new Antimateria fragrances from Italy very soon when my samples arrive. I've not got a lot of info on the notes yet, but if they are anything like the rest of this line I've tried, then they will be excellent and I'll be waving my credit card yet again
    Latest 3 are:

PANNI STESI AL SOLE (sheets hanging out in the sun) - Aromatic citrus

CIO' CHE PENSO A PROPOSITO DEI LIMONI - A selection of the best organic sicilian lemon essential oils

CAPPUCCETTO ROSSO NELLA FORESTA (red riding hood in the forest) - A fresh green fragrance, ideal for meditation!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

About the time I first smelled Marc Jacobs BANG at Bloomie's, I also had a sniff of CdG Wonderwood at Barneys. Neither of them has a particularly distinct development, so in that way they're similar. They're both built around a fairly restricted set of closely related notes. The Bang is much bolder than Wonderwood, which for its part seems to me at the same time more subtle and more complex. At times I feel that scents are like personalities, and that there's something to be said for bold and direct ones. One sometimes tires of the company of cool and polished types, and some of my best friends (for example) are people whom one might call "diamonds in the rough." In fact, I think a Harvard grad friend of mine once used that same phrase to describe yours truly!

The upshot of all this is the question now of having to choose, l'embarras du choix, as the French say, "the burden of choice." The Marc Jacobs has the advantage of a lower price point, a not unattractive feature; whereas the CdG appeals to quite another side of me, and being more carefully blended (to my poor nose, at least), seems to be worth the extra money...

Well, payday is upon us. Perhaps I will do as the little kid at the birthday party, who when asked if he wanted cake or ice cream, simply responded, "Yes, please" — if can part with that much money...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

I can't wait to have Wonderwood.

I bought Amouage Opus 1 in July, and I think I will get Opus 3 this month.

I really love Wonderwood, and got a bottle this week! It has worked well in the heat, by the way.

I was at Barney's here on Monday and got a sniff of L'Artisan's Coeur de Vétiver Sacré (on paper only as I was on my way to work). Seems nice and a bit sweeter than what I was expecting. I'll have to try it on skin, though!
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Furriner View Post
    I really love Wonderwood, and got a bottle this week! It has worked well in the heat, by the way.

I was at Barney's here on Monday and got a sniff of L'Artisan's Coeur de Vétiver Sacré (on paper only as I was on my way to work). Seems nice and a bit sweeter than what I was expecting. I'll have to try it on skin, though!
    Yes. Coeur de Vétiver Sacré really needs to be tried on the skin; smelling it on blotter paper doesn't give a proper idea of how it wears on skin. This is true of all perfumes, of course, but of this one even more than most. When I first smelled it, the impression was completely different from what it was on my skin. The paper really doesn't do it justice.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Moulin Rouge 1889 - Histoires de Parfum

I'm not sure if this is a scent I would really wear but I received a sample pack of the HdP line and of them all 1889 (it's a recent addition) just blows me away.

Moulin Rouge doesn't smell anything like it but if I described it as a "Pink L'Heure Bleue" that might help get across the actual effect it has for me. Very back-stage, dancing girls, Paris at night, champagne and absinthe etc. It's just unexpected and unusual and, to me, very evocative of a certain era and vibe. If the 14ml bottles turn up here I'll grab one - maybe two, so I can give one to a lady I know who could really carry it off.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I've never tried anything from the Histoires de Parfums line. Which one(s) would you guys recommend for a man who's just getting to know their scents?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

First to answer Jaime's question about the Histoires line. Although I haven't purchased bottles (and probably won't) the ones i found most interesting were Jules Verne (I can't remember the date they use, somewhere in the 1820's I think) and Ambre 114. Their bottles are so huge and expensive, I just can't justify a purchase. If I were going to buy a high priced fragrance right now, I'd probably go with something from Profumum or Mazzolari.

In terms of new things I want to try, I've got a sample of Wonderwood on the way, I want to check out Bang. I'll try Aventus eventually, but have no burning desire to do so anytime soon. I think I can safely ignore Bleu and the Big Ponies. I'm looking forward to the two new L'Artisans - the vetiver one and the other one. (Is it supposed to be Arabian? I can't remember.) I also would like to try the new Lubins, which sound interesting but have gotten little attention on here so far. Does anybody know if the upcoming Aramis Impeccable is another variation on the original or something totally new? Finally, I've just about given up on anything new from Lorenzo Villoresi. He backed away from releasing Mare Nostrum and instead said he's releasing Iperborea (Hyperborea?) in September, but there doesn't seem to be concrete evidence that is going to happen and now it appears that Now Smell This has removed it from their upcoming releases list.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I've never tried anything from the Histoires de Parfums line. Which one(s) would you guys recommend for a man who's just getting to know their scents?
    I would recommend trying:

Ambre 114
    Noir Patchouli
    1889 - This isn't for everyone, but I really like it
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I absolutely agree with petruccijc and say, possibly add 1725 (which I own), if this kind of scent appeals to you. The reviews give you a fair idea.
    Noir Patchouli goes on my to-buy list, because the initial blast is downright "sexy" and I'd love to smell this on somebody else. Actually, I get a lot of dark rose from the patchouli-rose combo on my skin.
    1740 is not my thing, neither is 1889, but definitely a must-try, because they are unique.
    1969 is great, but totally ruined by this (creamy white) chocolate note for me, but again do try this one. I hear it's quite popular at my local store here.
    They say, they come up with a sample set on their website. Maybe they can already send one out, if asked by email?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I will take them under advisement and let you know what I decide. Sounds like Noir Patchouli has a leg up right now, but I'll look at the pyramids and see what among the other recommendations seems worth a try.

Thanks again, and any further responses/suggestions are still welcome.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

I eventually gave in and bought the book "Quintessentially Perfume", which is rather high-priced (including postage), but it really is done nicely, quality appearance book and came with a nice personal note... anyway, just like Roja Dove's book added some perfumes on my must-try list, this one made me buy samples of the three Grossmith perfumes IMMEDIATELY I have never ordered with Les Senteurs, so this was also the chance to order two DelRae - Mythique and Bois de Paradis and Rosissimo, which I had already forgotten about. But the big thrill (anticipation) is about the Grossmiths.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I also would like to try the new Lubins, which sound interesting but have gotten little attention on here so far.
    I smelled both yesterday and they were both VERY promising. I immediately bought samples which are waiting for thourough testings over the next day. The female one was a very playful, fruity floral yet woodsy aromatic chypre (i think), the male one I really only smelled while passing but still it intrigued me.

My lists:

to buy:
    Shalimar (same as usual, what a beauty, no idea why I still dont own it)
    Prada - d'Vetiver (most wearable approach towards Vetiver for me, clean, crisp, soapy, sharp)
    maybe also Knize 10 Gold

To try:
    House of Montale, Amouage, Micallef
    Moulin Rouge

Lots more but I'm too lazy to go and fetch my notebook

To try:

As it is the holiday period over here, I've been trying quite systematically the big new fragrances about to be released on the market (Bleu de Chanel, Womanity by Thierry Mugler, Coeur de Vétiver Sacré by l'Artisan Parfumeur) as well as those on my wish list that I have yet to try seriously through a full wearing (Derby and Tonka Impériale by Guerlain, New York by Patricia de Nicolaï, l'Artisan Parfumeur's Timbuktu, Dzing! and Dzongkha, Sycomore by Chanel...). The list almost seems endless as any fragrance tested opens up new avenues and new wishes.

Perhaps to buy:

So far, Sycomore and New York are likely to make it to a shortlist, as are Dune pour Homme and Dior Homme. Perhaps also Vétiver Extraordinaire by Frédéric Malle. These lists are revised almost daily as nothing is more fun than prevarication!

Blog Entries

I'm just waiting on Le Male Terrible really. Or if Thierry Mugler decides to release something worth while (Sunessence is the only thing guys get this year?...what the hell)

Grey Vetiver (Tom Ford) has been in my sights for awhile, but i can't justify spending that much on something i'd wear maybe 15 times per year

As soon as the website of a local niche fragrance retailer is back from maintenance and totally functional, I am considering to finally "dig into" (though it way sound unadventurous) the Incense series of CdG as well as Czech & Speake No. 88

Oh, and I might also consider finally getting myself (but in a more remote future) Black Orchid by Tom Ford

OK so I see nothing bad in a huge long wish list , its not to say that it will ever come true but its a nice thought .

Ive sampled all of these in the past few months and some are more lusty than others but I loved them all

Then we shall begin

A Taste Of Heaven
    Prelude To Love
    Liasons Dangereuses
    Nuit Noir
    Sous Le Vent
    Lys Mediteranee
    Bigarade Concentree
    Cuir Ottoman
    Ambre Russe
    Gypsy Water
    Palermo
    Coromandel ... my God I want this so bad .....
    Iris 39
    Field Notes From Paris
    Lumiere Noir
    White Aoud
    Japon Noir