Code of Conduct

Default Help with Next Purchase

I have Narrowed it down to the following for a (mostly)blind buy; Santal Noble, Tam Dao, and Acier Aluminum. I have only sampled AA once, but it was warm out and I did not give it a good testing, I did like it however. (I do like the Creed frags in general fyi) I am just getting My fragrance wardrobe up to speed and have the summer/spring section complete so I am looking to round out the fall/winter category. I have Silver Mountain Water, TdH, Pure Malt on the way, and AOS sandalwood (which I do like but I get the sharp menthol note, unlike the ASB which is great but doesn't last) I am really up in the air on this buy...is SN too formal vs TD more casual, but too linear and dry vs AA when can I wear it? In addition the fall/winter in Texas is not terribly long so this may hinder the season. What would You recommend? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Help with Next Purchase

Santal Noble.

Tam Dao most definately.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyB View Post
    I have Narrowed it down to the following for a (mostly)blind buy; Santal Noble, Tam Dao, and Acier Aluminum. I have only sampled AA once, but it was warm out and I did not give it a good testing, I did like it however. (I do like the Creed frags in general fyi) I am just getting My fragrance wardrobe up to speed and have the summer/spring section complete so I am looking to round out the fall/winter category. I have Silver Mountain Water, TdH, Pure Malt on the way, and AOS sandalwood (which I do like but I get the sharp menthol note, unlike the ASB which is great but doesn't last) I am really up in the air on this buy...is SN too formal vs TD more casual, but too linear and dry vs AA when can I wear it? In addition the fall/winter in Texas is not terribly long so this may hinder the season. What would You recommend? Thanks in advance.
    Santal Noble (one of the kings)

Tam Dao

I guess if we all agreed on everything there wouldn't be much of a forum...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I'm somewhat concerned with the possible reformulations of SN and TD. It seems that the reviews may point to this and that they are not as good as indicated in older reviews. Hopefully some one has a newer bottle to garner input.

I've only tried the new formulations of Santal Noble and Tam Dao, and I would say that you're right that SN is more formal than TD but they are both sophisticated and usable for any situations.

Tam Dao is more dry Cedar than it is Sandalwood. It's nice, but it's linear.

Tam Dao.

Acier Aluminium would be my first choice of those three.

A-A.

I have all three and love 'em. As a versatile one to pick from the three first I'd say it would be Santal Noble. If you're buying blind you'll have to take your chances about reformulations, no amount of word usage on post here will be a substitute for smelling and deciding for yourself.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Tam Dao is a nasty, synthetic cedar + gasoline note + hint of sandalwood abomination. Have you sampled it? I know I'm not the only one who got a gasoline note from Tam Dao. A few others here on the forum also had some kind of reaction with the scent and found it completely unwearable.

Santal Noble is a glorious sandalwood, with the newer version having a beautiful sweet fig opening that segues perfectly into the creamy drydown.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Sur la Plage

Tam Dao is quite lovely. You should get it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread