Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Aug 7, 2010 ★★★ FRESH, AQUATIC or mosquito repellen

Eau Des Merveilles for me. The only aquatic/beachy scent I actually enjoy wearing, its so lovely and sparkly.

Also tried Womanity, and might of bought a small bottle hehe, I kind of get it I think, it is unusual, its sort of woody, smells of figs, the first fig smelling fragrance I've liked. I shall wear it a bit and see what I think.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Aug 7, 2010 ★★★ FRESH, AQUATIC or mosquito repellen

I love Antonia Flowers Sogni del Mare (dreams of the sea). It really does evoke memories of our vacations at Cape Cod sea shore. By far my favorite aquatic!
    From the Antonia Flowers web site: "A watery, fruity, floral with notes of Italian bergamot, cassis buds, wild rhubarb, orange and lotus."
    This is not at all floral on me, that's a plus as far as I'm concerned.
    "You smell like sunshine and happiness."

Blog Entries

I can participate this year, because I actually have an aquatic now! Cool Water Woman Wave (aka CWWW) is my sotd.
    It begins slightly melon-y and peppery (calone & carnation?), and this is about the strongest phase of this fragrance. It quickly settles into a very cold, clean, quiet jasmine. Think Pure Poison without the sillage. It really is refreshing, and I enjoy it most on a hot evening after a shower, paired with something loose and billowy.
    The way out is a way in-- NEP

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    I can participate this year, because I actually have an aquatic now! Cool Water Woman Wave (aka CWWW) is my sotd.
    It begins slightly melon-y and peppery (calone & carnation?), and this is about the strongest phase of this fragrance. It quickly settles into a very cold, clean, quiet jasmine. Think Pure Poison without the sillage. It really is refreshing, and I enjoy it most on a hot evening after a shower, paired with something loose and billowy.
    Oh, ME TOO! ME TOO!!

"The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

My SnS scent is Nickel's Eau Maximum, my TJ MAXX bargain at $8. The package says its notes are grapefruit, orange, spearmint, lemon, sage, rosemary, patchouli, cinnamon, nutmeg and "coca leaf" (in quotes). It's actual notes on my skin are spearmint, a citrus "melange" that isn't orange, grapefruit or lemon but not really all of 'em together either, and I don't really get the sage or rosemary except perhaps in the very fleeting topnotes.

The ad copy is much more exciting than the scent! (but of course) and says that "Nickel has created Eau Maximum, the first "treatment fragrance" for ultimate freshness, energy and sensuality on your skin, extracts combining refreshing, stimulating, and aphrodisiac properties with a booming 'coca leaf' note."

In reality, the scent dries down to a melon concoction that isn't unpleasant but isn't particularly special, and a "green leaf" note that I am thinking is the stated "booming 'coca leaf'" ... It is indeed fresh, and not particularly masculine, but is also an "Eau de Mall Fraiche" cacophony of apparently synthetic "essences." Dunno about its "treatment fragrance" (aromatherapeutic?) properties.

The box ad copy also says that it is "A true fragrance, to use without moderation before or after any physical activity."

The bottle is a miniature "sport drink bottle" shape with a little window with graduated marks that shows the level of what's left once you get to about half a bottle. I guess that's so you can use it without moderation and never run out!
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Blog Entries

I was actually looking forward to this S'n'S (my first as a participant). Fresh and aquatics (unlike many on here) is my favorite category, and I have a wardrobe full of them. I almost missed it though, not realizing that it was today.

Luckily I did spray on one that fits the category. Thought odds were probably in favor of me wearing one anyway.

I was working around the house and yard today, and did it in:

MUGLER COLOGNE

Its been around for a while now, and discussed a lot on here. There isn't much more I can say about it that hasn't been said. But I do love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    I am wearing the sadly discontinued IUNX "L'Eau Frapp", another masterpiece by Olivia Giacobetti. Its a salty citrus that opens up with a tart lemon zest blast, never turns sweet and doesn't have your typical woodsy-herbal cologne drydown. The sharpness of the lemon is softened by the ocean breeze note that it develops after a few minutes. I really love this, it feels so pure, so fresh, so ethereal. Later on today I will be baking some a lemon curd tart, so it's lemons, lemons, lemons for me today! (and a bit of salty sea air)
    This sounds wonderful, Klute!

Also adding my admiration for Pomander's Eau des Merveilles review!

Mel_lou, I also like Sel Marin, and Kumquat, I adore Brezza di Mare!

My choice today is Pacifica Malibu Lemon Blossom, from this cute little solid:

From the Pacifica website:

When I am dreaming of California, of dreamy surf and lemon blossoms scenting the salty ocean air with their sweet perfume, of long warm summer days at the beach - this is the fragrance of my memories. An olfactory ode to the sun, surf and flora of Southern California beaches - from Rincon Point to Malibu. I set out to capture the magical moment of surfacing - coming up out of the saltiness of the Pacific ocean waters into the morning sun and clean California air.
    I'm more familiar with the beaches of Hawai'i and Northern California, but I sure like this sunny, happy fragrance!

The power of bleu

This is a difficult category for me, I don't really do fresh or aquatic. Sweet tdem1961 sent me a mini of Missioni Acqua because she thought I would like the blue bottle (I did!). So ... Missioni Acqua is my scent for this year's Sniff 'n' Speak.

This is what Now Smell This said about it:
    This July, Missoni will launch Acqua, a new fragrance “about the beach, about water and about summers in Sardinia”

Acqua has top notes of bright bergamot, juicy melon, fresh grapefruit and sensual narcisse; a heart of velvety violet, voluminous peony, blue freesia and crisp muguet, and a drydown of Tuscan iris, jasmine and glimmering “sole,” said to represent “the warmth of the sun hitting the open water.”

It's not really my type of scent, but for SnS, I will try almost anything! I wore it to a family reunion picnic but it wasn't a fair trial since it burned off my skin in such a short time in the heat and humidity. I love the beach and always thought it ironic that I was born and live in Kansas, somewhere SO far from a beach. Reading about some of the scents you all have described makes me want to explore them. Who knows? Maybe I will find an aquatic that I can call my type!
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 8th August 2010 at 09:17 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quarry, I enjoyed reading about the connection you made between Cologne du Parfumeur (my pleasure!) and the Yves Rocher. I haven't tried any YR frags, but I do love it when those perfume-related "clicks" occur.

Speaking of CdP, as noted that's what I wore for SnS. The orange flower note renders it soft, smooths off any sharp angles from the green notes, and results in a fresh, clean scent that is easy to wear. It was particularly nice in yesterday's hot and humid weather.

Shades, that little Missoni bottle had to go to you! I was hoping you'd like that particular color blue.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain