Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Smile All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Aug 7, 2010 ★★★ FRESH, AQUATIC or mosquito repellent

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010
    Animalic Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010
    Chypre March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010
    Floral April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010
    Fruity May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010
    Citrus June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010
    Green July 2008, July 2009, July 2010
    Fresh Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009
    Fougere Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009
    Ambery Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009
    Spicy Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009
    Gourmand Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Aug 7, 2010 ★★★ FRESH, AQUATIC or mosquito repellen

*LOL* Quarry - I haven't got aquatic but I think I have skeeter repellent !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Aug 7, 2010 ★★★ FRESH, AQUATIC or mosquito repellen

Ooookay then. (hee!)

When is fake-tan-lotion scent month?

Basenotes Plus

Fresh? This is a job for Cologne du Parfumeur!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

C Rose
    tdem Good reminder!!!

If saturday is hot here, I think i`ll use to join this thread Rochas Aquaman

Blog Entries

I think the one for me will be IPdF - Brezza di Mere. Failing that, a little Cutter's.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Aha ! Good suggestion ! I actually have a sample of this ( thank you dear Primrose ! ) and I shall wear it on Saturday !

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    LOL- I shall dig out my sample from the marvelous Miss Tee at Guerlain Vegas and join you in wearing that part of the day.

Also thinking of Dali's Laguna, and/or Miyake's L'eau D'Issey Reflection In a Drop when C du P inevitably fades.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I don't have a real aquatic, the closeset I have are: L'Eau Frapp, which is a salty citrus, En Passant, which is a little bit aquatic, but more floral or Silver Mountain Water which is also only slightly aquatic....hmmm, can't decide well, I guess I have at least another 16 hours ....

Oh, and what does American Mosquito repellant smell like???

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    I don't have a real aquatic, the closest I have are: L'Eau Frapp, which is a salty citrus, En Passant, which is a little bit aquatic, but more floral or Silver Mountain Water which is also only slightly aquatic....hmmm, can't decide well, I guess I have at least another 16 hours ....

Oh, and what does American Mosquito repellent smell like???
    Ooooooooooo - that L'Eau Frapp sounds good!

For mosquito repellent - think citronella.

I got so many in this category I'm in a bind. Laguna - Brezza di Mare - Beachy - Fire Island - Demeter's Salt Air (my total, though evanescent, fave) South Water - VIW. Maybe I'll wear them all in succession!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I'm already wearing ELd'O Scrtions Magnifiques

And yes, I do count it in the fresh, aquatic category!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

I will wear one (or more) of the following:

Fresh: Citron de Vigne or Strawberry Flowers (both by Fresh... ha!)

Aquatic: Fire Island (from a sample) or Eau de Merveilles... the only two aquatic scents I have. Wait.... is Dune considered aquatic??? What do you think?
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Howcome I've never noticed this before?!
    I've often wondered what y'all were babbeling
    about, when you talked about S'n'S and such
    ... now I know!

I'm not a fan of fresh, nor aquatics, so I'll join
    next month: opposite gender, now, that's more
    my style. LOOOL!

Beachy for me today. Sadly it's "worky" for poor old Zibeline today but I can dream can't I?

I wore the Comptoir Sud Pacifique AQUA MOTU for August SnS. I have given away and used all my aquatics in my early 20s, therefore it was hard to pick something from the wardrobe.
    AQUA MOTU smells weird. It has a strange aerosol can opening which I absolutely hate but then it slowly evolves into a seabreeze smell. The dry down is the best, it reminds me of the summer vacation where my mum would take me to the beach and my skin smells identical to this salty subtle note Aqua Motu portrayed.

I've started the day in Parfum de Peau, but to call this fresh or aquatic would be a very long stretch. Mosquito repellant might work though!

Sample of the day will be Lys Mditerrane by Edouard Flechier for Frederic Malle.This is a big, dewy lily. Fresh and aquatic and absolutely gorgeous, but...

I was wearing this a few days ago and actually scrubbed it off. Somewhere along the way something made this smell too buttery, and I do mean the smell of actual butter. I use plenty of butter every day when I cook, and I love it, but do I want to smell like it? No. This is a gourmand path that does not need to be explored.

Anyway, I'm giving this another chance and hope it doesn't turn foody again...

I am wearing the sadly discontinued IUNX "L'Eau Frapp", another masterpiece by Olivia Giacobetti. Its a salty citrus that opens up with a tart lemon zest blast, never turns sweet and doesn't have your typical woodsy-herbal cologne drydown. The sharpness of the lemon is softened by the ocean breeze note that it develops after a few minutes. I really love this, it feels so pure, so fresh, so ethereal. Later on today I will be baking some a lemon curd tart, so it's lemons, lemons, lemons for me today! (and a bit of salty sea air)

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Ahhhh! [Runs around. Runs around] Ahhhh! TDEM! Made a connection just now …

Was just noting the development of Guerlain Cologne du Parfumeur (thank you very much) — those top notes which seem to have a few molecules in common with Encre Noir, and then the orange/orange flower phase arrived, which seemed rather familiar. [Checks against half-full vial of Yves Rocher Orange Blossom.] That's it! Wish I had some to send to you: Orange Blossom edt Pur Desir. Obviously it's not the full recipe for CdP, but I think it echoes within it, so the shower gel might compliment CdP.

Man, I hope I'm not completely off my rocker (or Rocher, as the case may be) about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    I'm not a fan of fresh, nor aquatics, so I'll join
    next month: opposite gender, now, that's more
    my style. LOOOL!
    I know you like Dune pour homme, I would definitely consider it fresh, if not aquatic.

I'm giving L'Eau Serge Lutens another go...
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Institution

A- ha ! I have L'eau Serge Lutens - a sample from Boosh - so I will wear that instead !

Joining Zibeline in Beachy

“Beachy opens with notes of sliced watermelon, sunny citrus, and marine air accord. The heart blooms into an intoxicating bouquet of jasmine blossom, tiare flower, and lush frangipani. The sun sets on the fragrance with a blend of sea crystals, golden amber, and sweet vanilla.” [from Sephora website]

I don’t actually enjoy wearing marine scents or extremely salty fragrances. I think they’re interesting, but I usually have to wash them off. This one is fun and light hearted (thanks to Taolady for the decant). It really does evoke the beach (and makes me pine to be there). It’s salty, yet floral and sweet. It’s a nice little scent. I don’t see this one on the Lilly Pulitzer website anymore, and I wonder whether they’re discontinuing it.

I decided on Eau des Merveilles. I love the jus and the bottle equally.

First the bottle: It sits charmingly on a side (it has two) leaning slightly right or left. Or on it's back to display it's glassy, colored, roundness almost devoid of markings, looking like a beautiful marble or a drop of water. Sitting on it's front, the shining stars (orange bottle) or constellations (blue bottle) totally captivate me. The stars on the orange bottle also look like sparkling sand, nodding a reference to the beachy salt notes of the scent. Whether it's the orange or blue bottle, the jus inside looks and moves like water - not perfume, in keeping with "eau" des Merveilles. I could stare at the bottle all day.

The fragrance: Oranges, pine needles, salt-covered dry weeds and grasses on a sunbaked sandy dune is what this smells like to me. Also, there's the scent of the the sea spray when a wave crashes onto the shore. Throughout the day, the gentle fragrance wafts in out of my consciousness, making me smile when I'm reminded of it's presence. And I always think "Oh, that smells so, so good !!".

Pomander, I love your description. I think I'll wear Eau des Merveilles this evening (I have a decant that I forgot about).

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Pomander, I love your description. I think I'll wear Eau des Merveilles this evening
    YES! Bravo Pomader's review.

I jumped straight into Dali's Laguna (somewhat overapplied from a leaking spray nozzle). Did not feel like digging locate the Cologne du Parfumeur sample.

Laguna is a treat. and who could resist that ridiculously kitschy bottle?

Note to Le Grand Duc:
    Ducky, dear, we never "babbel". (horrified expression as I type this.)
    Tell that silly valet of yours to do a better job of reading ALL the topics and threads to you. We can't have any more of you not being part of SnS.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 7th August 2010 at 06:48 PM.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Blog Entries

I am enjoying IPdF-Brezza di Mare it smells amazingly like the ocean! A warm salty breeze keeps wafting my way as I type this. See my entry in SOTD for notes/description.

I went with Heeley's Sel Marin. I didn't appreciate it when I tried it last month, but last night when I was deciding what to wear today it really stood out. The drydown! It's stunning. The cedar gives it depth and the saltiness is delicious. I went out shopping and whenever I was indoors the scent faded, but as soon as I stepped back outside it came to life again. It was a cold, rainy summer day by the North Sea today - this is the only perfume I've come across that seems to really prefer a chill in the air. I'm kind of in awe, here. I was planning to switch to Acquiilssssima this evening (the jasmine softens the oceanic elements, it's perfect for a sunset), but Sel Marin is so gorgeous I can't bear to.

Oh! I got spritzed with Womanity this afternoon. It's salty and sweet and kind of a mess. I don't know where they were going with it, but it was at one point very similar to Sel Marin. So while I don't think Womanity works as a celebration of womanhood or whatever it's supposed to be, I do think it works a little bit as a sweet, fruity, accidental-aquatic. Maybe. I need to think on it some more!

I enjoyed this S'n'S. My first! I missed last month's, I was devastated.

Blog Entries

I was saving up some fresh/aquatic fragrances for this!
    So, I am starting out with Antonia's Flowers Sogni del Mare. It reminds me somewhat of Fleur de Corail, same feeling. Many describe it as salt water, but I cannot go there. To me they are both floral, decidedly floral, but with some different quality to them, I agree. Maybe my warm ocean vacation is overdue -- now that I can easily believe in!

Eau Des Merveilles for me. The only aquatic/beachy scent I actually enjoy wearing, its so lovely and sparkly.

Also tried Womanity, and might of bought a small bottle hehe, I kind of get it I think, it is unusual, its sort of woody, smells of figs, the first fig smelling fragrance I've liked. I shall wear it a bit and see what I think.

Basenotes Plus

I love Antonia Flowers Sogni del Mare (dreams of the sea). It really does evoke memories of our vacations at Cape Cod sea shore. By far my favorite aquatic!
    From the Antonia Flowers web site: "A watery, fruity, floral with notes of Italian bergamot, cassis buds, wild rhubarb, orange and lotus."
    This is not at all floral on me, that's a plus as far as I'm concerned.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I can participate this year, because I actually have an aquatic now! Cool Water Woman Wave (aka CWWW) is my sotd.
    It begins slightly melon-y and peppery (calone & carnation?), and this is about the strongest phase of this fragrance. It quickly settles into a very cold, clean, quiet jasmine. Think Pure Poison without the sillage. It really is refreshing, and I enjoy it most on a hot evening after a shower, paired with something loose and billowy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    I can participate this year, because I actually have an aquatic now! Cool Water Woman Wave (aka CWWW) is my sotd.
    It begins slightly melon-y and peppery (calone & carnation?), and this is about the strongest phase of this fragrance. It quickly settles into a very cold, clean, quiet jasmine. Think Pure Poison without the sillage. It really is refreshing, and I enjoy it most on a hot evening after a shower, paired with something loose and billowy.
    Oh, ME TOO! ME TOO!!

"The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

My SnS scent is Nickel's Eau Maximum, my TJ MAXX bargain at $8. The package says its notes are grapefruit, orange, spearmint, lemon, sage, rosemary, patchouli, cinnamon, nutmeg and "coca leaf" (in quotes). It's actual notes on my skin are spearmint, a citrus "melange" that isn't orange, grapefruit or lemon but not really all of 'em together either, and I don't really get the sage or rosemary except perhaps in the very fleeting topnotes.

The ad copy is much more exciting than the scent! (but of course) and says that "Nickel has created Eau Maximum, the first "treatment fragrance" for ultimate freshness, energy and sensuality on your skin, extracts combining refreshing, stimulating, and aphrodisiac properties with a booming 'coca leaf' note."

In reality, the scent dries down to a melon concoction that isn't unpleasant but isn't particularly special, and a "green leaf" note that I am thinking is the stated "booming 'coca leaf'" ... It is indeed fresh, and not particularly masculine, but is also an "Eau de Mall Fraiche" cacophony of apparently synthetic "essences." Dunno about its "treatment fragrance" (aromatherapeutic?) properties.

The box ad copy also says that it is "A true fragrance, to use without moderation before or after any physical activity."

The bottle is a miniature "sport drink bottle" shape with a little window with graduated marks that shows the level of what's left once you get to about half a bottle. I guess that's so you can use it without moderation and never run out!
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Blog Entries

I was actually looking forward to this S'n'S (my first as a participant). Fresh and aquatics (unlike many on here) is my favorite category, and I have a wardrobe full of them. I almost missed it though, not realizing that it was today.

Luckily I did spray on one that fits the category. Thought odds were probably in favor of me wearing one anyway.

I was working around the house and yard today, and did it in:

MUGLER COLOGNE

Its been around for a while now, and discussed a lot on here. There isn't much more I can say about it that hasn't been said. But I do love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    I am wearing the sadly discontinued IUNX "L'Eau Frapp", another masterpiece by Olivia Giacobetti. Its a salty citrus that opens up with a tart lemon zest blast, never turns sweet and doesn't have your typical woodsy-herbal cologne drydown. The sharpness of the lemon is softened by the ocean breeze note that it develops after a few minutes. I really love this, it feels so pure, so fresh, so ethereal. Later on today I will be baking some a lemon curd tart, so it's lemons, lemons, lemons for me today! (and a bit of salty sea air)
    This sounds wonderful, Klute!

Also adding my admiration for Pomander's Eau des Merveilles review!

Mel_lou, I also like Sel Marin, and Kumquat, I adore Brezza di Mare!

My choice today is Pacifica Malibu Lemon Blossom, from this cute little solid:

From the Pacifica website:

When I am dreaming of California, of dreamy surf and lemon blossoms scenting the salty ocean air with their sweet perfume, of long warm summer days at the beach - this is the fragrance of my memories. An olfactory ode to the sun, surf and flora of Southern California beaches - from Rincon Point to Malibu. I set out to capture the magical moment of surfacing - coming up out of the saltiness of the Pacific ocean waters into the morning sun and clean California air.
    I'm more familiar with the beaches of Hawai'i and Northern California, but I sure like this sunny, happy fragrance!

This is a difficult category for me, I don't really do fresh or aquatic. Sweet tdem1961 sent me a mini of Missioni Acqua because she thought I would like the blue bottle (I did!). So ... Missioni Acqua is my scent for this year's Sniff 'n' Speak.

This is what Now Smell This said about it:
    This July, Missoni will launch Acqua, a new fragrance “about the beach, about water and about summers in Sardinia”

Acqua has top notes of bright bergamot, juicy melon, fresh grapefruit and sensual narcisse; a heart of velvety violet, voluminous peony, blue freesia and crisp muguet, and a drydown of Tuscan iris, jasmine and glimmering “sole,” said to represent “the warmth of the sun hitting the open water.”

It's not really my type of scent, but for SnS, I will try almost anything! I wore it to a family reunion picnic but it wasn't a fair trial since it burned off my skin in such a short time in the heat and humidity. I love the beach and always thought it ironic that I was born and live in Kansas, somewhere SO far from a beach. Reading about some of the scents you all have described makes me want to explore them. Who knows? Maybe I will find an aquatic that I can call my type!
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 8th August 2010 at 10:17 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quarry, I enjoyed reading about the connection you made between Cologne du Parfumeur (my pleasure!) and the Yves Rocher. I haven't tried any YR frags, but I do love it when those perfume-related "clicks" occur.

Speaking of CdP, as noted that's what I wore for SnS. The orange flower note renders it soft, smooths off any sharp angles from the green notes, and results in a fresh, clean scent that is easy to wear. It was particularly nice in yesterday's hot and humid weather.

Shades, that little Missoni bottle had to go to you! I was hoping you'd like that particular color blue.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain