Code of Conduct

Default The Very First Gourmand?

What was the very first Gourmand fragrance?

I vote for Ann-Margret's baked beans and chocolate sauce from 1975. The film, "TOMMY"

+"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Default Re: The Very First Gourmand?

Cool still photos, thanks for sharing

Your welcome. But seriously BNers, do any of you have guesses as to what the first gourmand fragrance was?
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

It depends on how you bound gourmand, but I would suspect it likely to be an early Guerlain that used vanilla.

In my experience, I'd say Must de Cartier (the "women's"). Though Shalimar used a lot of vanilla, it doesn't come across as food-like to me. Obviously, this is about personal preference. The other possible way of thinking about it is if the perfumer wanted a food-like effect, but that is something he or she would have to disclose publicly.

Maybe Jicky? After all, it has a kind of gourmand aroma hidden in the animalic part...
    When one of my friends tried my sample, she told me that the aroma reminded here of breads (or something like that, i cannot reminded exactly which kind of bakery she told me that Jicky reminded her of).
    Considering gourmand in modern tastes, I believe, maybe i`m wrong, that Animale Animale was the first gourmand, a kind of precursor for Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    In my experience, I'd say Must de Cartier (the "women's"). Though Shalimar used a lot of vanilla, it doesn't come across as food-like to me. Obviously, this is about personal preference. The other possible way of thinking about it is if the perfumer wanted a food-like effect, but that is something he or she would have to disclose publicly.
    Wish that Must Cartier pour femme had a gourmand aroma on me. It has something vanillic on it, but at my skin is more like dark vanillic powder at base, with a intense bitter galbanum openning that seems took from a 80`s masculine frag...

As far as i can remember it was Pois de Scenteur by Corday...it's not on the directory by the way.
    Back in the day where there was no such thing as a gourmand category, this scent was more about vanilla, honey and sweet amber that it was about sweet pea the flower as it name implies.
    Over the years there have been many gourmand scents that have been forgotten, mostly by small houses and labels that have "disappeared".
    The first "gourmand" labeled as such i think was Angel for women (the men's version was called also the "first gourmand for men")

if i can remember more or an earlier one i'll get back on the thread.

cheers

Blog Entries

Ancient Egyptian beef tallow-based perfumes. "True" gourmand!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Ancient Egyptian beef tallow-based perfumes. "True" gourmand!
    Who wants to smell like a piece of meat!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    Who wants to smell like a piece of meat!
    LOL

Anybody wearing Tom Ford Extreme, with the notorious "beef jerky" note!

Itsssssss.........BACON!!!

Must was reformulated, from what I understand, so that may be why there are different impressions of it. I don't get any heavy galbanum in it, that's for sure.

"Tumak first. He create first animal based scent. One Million Years B.C."

Raquel Welch

Maybe Obsession, if you consider that gourmand.

"Me Tumak. Me create."

Basenotes Plus

This thread seems not be a male fragrance discussion but rather a male discussion of another topic.