Code of Conduct

Default reactions to davidoff zino?

i have had this in my collection and enjoy it but have only worn it a handful of times. due to it being one of the more unique smells, i just cant find a good occasion to wear it. what kind of reaction have you all had from others around you when wearing this one? to me it does have somewhat of a dated feel to it, where i am more into modern stuff. i'm prett decent at knowing whether or not people around me will enjoy or disklike a frag im wearing but i cant figure this one out...

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: reactions to davidoff zino?

A look at your wardrobe shows that your GIT (1985) was released a year before Zino (1986). Do you think GIT is or feels dated? If not, you may wear Zino as often as you would wear GIT, and in the same circumstances.

Zino is a classic, but certainly is not dated.

Enjoy.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

So far, most, if not all fragrance wearers with whom I discussed Zino Davidoff had a mostly positive feedback regarding this frags, praising mainly its class, (not dated) conservatism and lasting power

Nothing is really dated if it's a scent you enjoy. Now if you're having problems figuring out when is the best time or occasion to wear something, then that's another story.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

I think it smells perfectly contemporary. Like Fahrenheit and Francesco Smalto (and unlike CK Obsession and Drakkar Noir, imo), it's one of those fragrances from the 80's that doesn't smell "of its era" (and not that there's anything wrong with that!).

You wear the fragrance. It's you that defines it at last. If your not feeling comfortable 100% there's something wrong. Me, myself and I feels that "extra" on top with a fragrance, you know what I mean? It's the idea that it has to assist you in every positive way possible. That's what fragrance is all about. It carries one's mood or imagination and sometimes has to improve it in one way or another. I wanna feel like or be inspirated let's say by Jardin du Nil by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier tomorrow. Can I do that? It depends. It depends on my mood, the weather, the situation I will be in and the people around me. This one can be a lot of problems in the wrong place and time, but actually quite comforting when you can pull it off. Fragrance is spiritual and Zino is definitely NOT "wet dog".

Zino is absolutely great! People who agree, share some points. People who disagree share some points. But in the end everyone sees themselves. Pointing the finger at a person and LOL or just say something rude is something I simply couldn't do. It's not even a possibility. I have seen people in great problems and I wished they just wore some fragrance or at least just used some soap. Exactly these people are able to stand right next to you and complain. Ha, take your fist and beat the stench, right?
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Zino is definitley dated to me. Smells old, and smells like a combination of elephant dung, a dumpster, several poopy diapers and rotten fruit. I'll never like this stuff. I'll take Grey Flannel over this any day!

I wear my bottle of Zino from time to time. I respect this fragrance like very few other fragrances. Doesn't last too long, but thats just how things are. Great stuff. I feel like I am playing a character on the set of a film when I wear this. It evokes such a sense of maturity within me.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Zino is definitley dated to me. Smells old, and smells like a combination of elephant dung, a dumpster, several poopy diapers and rotten fruit. I'll never like this stuff. I'll take Grey Flannel over this any day!
    have you tried just one spray, it really is a very nice scent

I have never had a single comment positive or negative when wearing Zino. It seems to evoke no interest whatsoever in the people around me.

Which altogether doesn't surprise me to be honest because I don't think it's all that great.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I have only positive feeling about this fragrance, although I haven't pulled it from my vault for a while now.

I'm new to Zino and bummed that it's been discontinued. It's such a comfortable scent to wear. I think it's suited best for spending a romantic night in, seems appropriate for romantic use with the rose note.
    She gets a special cologne. It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther so you know it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    have you tried just one spray, it really is a very nice scent
    I've tried one spray, I've tried 3 sprays. I've tried spraying it as far away from my nasal passages as possible. I've even tried diluting it and layering it with other fragrances. It's the dominant one in layering, if you couldn't tell already, it even outpowers some big time powerhouses. When I wore this, i actually physically got complaints from my family members, who usually like my selection in fragrances, and adore my decisions in selecting a fragrance that matches with my persona, my look, my own standards, and the setting around me. Zino is like something from another planet. Although I will admit, the one time I didn't scrub it off my skin (I believe I was drunk) and let it get into the base notes, it wasn't as unbearable as the opening and middle. However, to me.. this is no opening worth waiting 45 mins to an hour for. I could find something else.

Cologneist I find it really odd that you hate zino with this much passion, based on your other preferences.
    I love it. I did get many compliments on it. My wife loves it and actually sometimes asks me to wear it.
    my brother bought one for himself after smelling it on me.

I don't get any of the negative comments about it. Except maybe rotten fruit.
    Smells a lot like my granddad's wood workshop to me. Good stuff.

I got a mini of Zino as part of an ebay mini auction. I've tested it at home, but haven't given it a go at work yet. I do believe it smells old man like compared to most of my other frags.

Still the best of Davidoff for me, even the new formulation is very good.
    -

Sur la Plage

An excellent fragrance.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I receive compliments when I wear this one.
    Yes, it's a complex fragrance and perhaps hard to grasp. It took me several wearings to unlock the beauty in this one. It lasts several hours on me and the drydown is gorgeous.
    And yes, I wear my usual 6-8 spritzes, as with any other fragrace.
    By the way, it's still available for reasonable prices so fans can still stock up.

I like it but don't feel that it deserves the praise it gets on the reviews. Maybe it is due to reformulation?

It's got a typical and strong woody/amber/patchouli base with tobacco added. Unlike other bases that are similar, such as Heritage (which features strong vanilla), this one I can tolerate. Another one that is tolerable, and even a bit smoother (though without tobacco) is Moods Uomo by Krizia. I may dilute it a little with vodka to make it more "modern." LOL.

I love it, and others love it when I wear it.

I suppose all we wear fragrances to satisfy our personal needs.The opinion of the people around us should not to be so important to us.
    I love Zino.

Yep! I love it too! It's so different to anything else it is a polarising fragrance - like Kouros - which provokes strong reactions at either end of the scale. You either love it or hate it. I'd rather have 1 bottle of Zino than 1000 bottles of Cool Water....what is that stuff all about?!

I'd wear Zino on a date, or any romantic occasion in autumn or winter

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    I'd rather have 1 bottle of Zino than 1000 bottles of Cool Water....
    me too...

I really love Zino, and have been wearing it close to twenty years. I'm very sad that it has been discontinued. It smells amazingly beautiful on me.

I can understand why The_Cologneist doesn't like the top notes, as they can be a bit harsh, with the lavender and clary sage. But top notes don't last very long and are not usually what I base an opinion of a fragrance on.

I got Héritage (edp), in hopes that I would find a replacement for Zino, but have not been very happy with it. I find Héritage a bit cloying on me, and I don't really see much more than a superficial resemblance to Zino.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Yeah, I love it and don't find it that weird in the context of big, busy 80's floral fougeres. It does have one of the more prominent clary sage notes around. But other than that it has a similar feel to stuff like Le Troisième Homme: the reedy jasmine sits so oddly by contemporary standards next to the baritone of the lavender, patch and the other aromatics. Definitely a different historical moment.

well because it is one of the most unique frags ive tried i wanted to see what kind of reactions i got. a few months ago someone knocked on my door, i opened it and it was this cute blonde colleged aged girl taking the census. i was wearing zino and she mentioned that my "house smelled nice". im pretty sure it was the zino cuz i dont use any kind of air freshner in my home.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Still the best of Davidoff for me, even the new formulation is very good.

New formulation? I thought that it became discontinued completely.

Like Zino a lot. Have thought I was smelling Zino on the streets here recently and this morning a lady came into our salon wearing what smelled like Zino. Asked her what she was wearing, it was Angel. That's what I have been smelling around here lately thinking it was Zino. Go figure.

AromiErotici

Zino is an excellent masculine. It's opening is muscular, but soon quiets down to a civilized volume. You may want to give the original Davidoff Classic a try. Classic and Zino are the only 2 offerings from this house that have any testosterone.

I loved it ca. 20 years ago. I hate it now (after reformulation).

I wish it were a rule that those who claim that there is a reformulation and that it isn't good would have to provide at least a brief explanation of the differences!

I've worn it for the past 20 years or so and never noticed any significant reformulation. My most recent bottle was purchased about a year ago.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

AromiErotici

I have purchased a bottle in the last 6 months and it smells better than the 5ml. reference sample I have that's 4 years old.

I also have no knowledge of a reformulation one way or the other.

I have wanted to buy this frag many times but always chose something else instead. I finally got a 1.7ml bottle but had not had the chance to wear it as I am working my way to it. I like it the first time I smelled it and like it now. I don't get the old man smell. To me, it's just a great fragrance.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds