Code of Conduct

Default Cocktail that smells like a Creed

On a recent visit to San Francisco I had a retro cocktail called The Last Word - equal parts gin, green Chartreuse, Luxardo marschino liqueur, and lime juice. Wow! What an aromatic drink! It immediately brought to mind one of the old-school Creed's that I've sampled - either Bois du Portugal or Royal Scottish Lavender, I believe. Anyone else tried a Last Word or had a similar experience with another cocktail? This has given me some serious ideas regarding merging two of my favorite pastimes - mixology and fragrance - which could be dangerous...

Default Re: Cocktail that smells like a Creed

Sounds like a great cocktail! My review of Dunhill's EDITION may interest you:

When this was launched in 1984, Dunhill had the launch party at the Ritz in London. They approached Bob, the celebrated mixologist at the Ritz bar, to create a cocktail that tasted the way this cologne smells--and thus the Dunhill cocktail was born. For a few years it was listed on the bar menu at the Ritz and you can still order it, which is guaranteed to bring Bob out to see who the "in the know" drinker is. Edition is a personal favorite of mine, the scent I chose to wear on my wedding day. Bob shared the recipe me me and here it is--splash on some Edition, mix up one of these and enjoy!

THE RITZ DUNHILL

5/10 dry white wine
    1/10 Cointreau
    2/10 creme de banana
    2/10 Cinzano Bianco

Combine all ingredients and shake, serve on the rocks.

Cool concept and great story, Oviatt. I like Dunhill Edition and this sounds like an interesting summertime drink. Although I tend to prefer my cocktails a bit drier (and usually strong-ish), I might ask a friendly bartender to prepare one for me next time I'm somewhere that has the banana liqueur, since I don't keep a bottle at home - the on-the-rocks part makes it sound particularly refreshing.

I just checked my Difford's guide to cocktails and it's not listed in there, so thanks for the recipe and "insider" info regarding The Ritz!

Aventus + VIW = Creed Pina Colada

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Aventus + VIW = Creed Pina Colada
    IMO, VIW on its own smells a lot like Pina Colada though I have not had the pleasure of sampling Aventus just yet.

A coconut daiquiri smells a lot like Virgin Island Water too.

You may be thinking of Baie de Geneivre..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    You may be thinking of Baie de Geneivre..
    Nope, I've got BdG and it's not the one. I can see the juniper/gin connection, but think it's more the Chartreuse or the maraschino liqueur that creates the Creed impression...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald View Post
    Cool concept and great story, Oviatt. I like Dunhill Edition and this sounds like an interesting summertime drink. Although I tend to prefer my cocktails a bit drier (and usually strong-ish), I might ask a friendly bartender to prepare one for me next time I'm somewhere that has the banana liqueur, since I don't keep a bottle at home - the on-the-rocks part makes it sound particularly refreshing.

I just checked my Difford's guide to cocktails and it's not listed in there, so thanks for the recipe and "insider" info regarding The Ritz!
    You could use dry vermouth instead of Cinzano Bianco which would make it a bit drier.... Enjoy!