Code of Conduct

Default Anybody tried Andy Roddick Cologne?

I was at TJ Maxx today. Saw the Andy Roddick cologne for 10 dollars. Being a tennis player myself, it sure was a tempting blind buy. I almost bought it just for the opportunity to review it. But I would think that for 10 bucks, somebody certainly was game enough to try it out! I only saw one review online, and it was negative and vague. I'd really like to hear what this one smells like. I see vetyver, woods, and citrus. I was almost thinking along the lines of Contradiction, but the one reviewer said it was sweet, so who knows?

Default Re: Anybody tried Andy Roddick Cologne?

I would imagine it opens with a lot of promise, before transitioning to a heart of defeat and a drydown of disappointment.

Actually, you really should get this and review it if you can. I don't know why but I feel like this ought to be that rarest of creatures, a solid celebrity fragrance, although its price point suggests a formula in the $20-per-kilo range. Roddick just seems like the kind of guy who would tell the fragrance PR people to get their asses back to work if they brought him something awful to rubberstamp.

By the way, that bottle is a disaster. Yuck.

You don't already have a decent frag that features wood, vetiver, and citrus prominently? I find these kinds of frags incredibly boring, so perhaps I can't appreciate the subtleties, if there are any. LOL.

I keep wanting to try it but it always comes 2nd to something else...
    -

Saw this @ Marshall's, but there was no box. I recognized the bottle because I was contemplating ordering it blind in the past. I couldn't test longevity or eve spray it on my skin, but I sprayed a little in the cap, it's pretty nice but extremely generic/common. I'd rather spend the 10 bucks on something else. I'd say it's safe to buy blind, but it definitely isn't special. Again though, without having worn it, I can't tell you how it develops or if there are chemical odors..etc..

I'm so amazed that everyone says to save your 10 bucks. This from a forum that encourages everyone to run out and purchase a $250 dollar Creed or Bond No. 9 frag. Even if it is generic, doesn't everyone need a generic type frag for around the house, the gym, etc.
    I do have another tennis player frag called Roger Federer. That one is usually only available online, and still not exactly cheap and easy to find. Even though it is unique, I haven't really worn it out yet.

is Andy Roddick's cologne named "Unfulfilled Promise"?

... or is it called "Unrealized Talent"?

"American Disappointment"???

am i close?

"Title-less Talent"?

i can keep going...

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Even if it is generic, doesn't everyone need a generic type frag for around the house, the gym, etc.
    My motto is "Life is too short to drink bad wine and wear generic fragrances".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'm so amazed that everyone says to save your 10 bucks. This from a forum that encourages everyone to run out and purchase a $250 dollar Creed or Bond No. 9 frag. Even if it is generic, doesn't everyone need a generic type frag for around the house, the gym, etc.
    I do have another tennis player frag called Roger Federer. That one is usually only available online, and still not exactly cheap and easy to find. Even though it is unique, I haven't really worn it out yet.
    Well if something smells too chemical, it's not worth any amount of money to me. I've returned 10 dollar fragrances to TJ Maxx and Marshall's because of their misleading aromas. If 10 bucks is nothing to you then by all means, go buy it.. why even ask. Just "buy it to review it" as you said. Then fill us in. 10 bucks here, 10 bucks there.. squander.. squander. No thanks, I'll pass, I'd rather use the 10 bucks toward something I truly like, especially since my fragrance budget is usually 10-25 per fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Well if something smells too chemical, it's not worth any amount of money to me. I've returned 10 dollar fragrances to TJ Maxx and Marshall's because of their misleading aromas. If 10 bucks is nothing to you then by all means, go buy it.. why even ask. Just "buy it to review it" as you said. Then fill us in. 10 bucks here, 10 bucks there.. squander.. squander. No thanks, I'll pass, I'd rather use the 10 bucks toward something I truly like, especially since my fragrance budget is usually 10-25 per fragrance.
    I have done my fair share of squandering on blind buys. I also like to share the impression with others on basenotes and Youtube. It's just that I have only seen one review of Andy Roddick Cologne, and it was not very descriptive. Also, it's not so much a matter of 10 bucks setting me back. It's a matter of finding room for all this stuff. I already have enough laying around to last me until the year
    3470. I've never returned a frag either, so I'm not sure how that works either. My brother likes Andy Roddick as a tennis player, so I could always pass it off on him, even though I don't think he really wears cologne much.

I'm so amazed that everyone says to save your 10 bucks. This from a forum that encourages everyone to run out and purchase a $250 dollar Creed or Bond No. 9 frag.
    a $1 is still worth a dollar, no matter how many I have (by I, I mean you, since I don't have too many :-)
    I think the forum is interested in getting value for money in most (not all) cases. Hence $10 on something generic, 25 times doesn't add up to one amazing $250 experience. I can only wear one frag a day, so why not really enjoy it? Is it worth $250, well, that's debatable. But I have certainly learned that I ignore price and want what I want, then there's simply the price to have it. At some point (around $120-150 for me at least) I draw the line. Most of my collection actually costs about $30-50 a bottle, so I know where you're coming from. I've certainly become more open to the price limits, especially when I think about how much I'd spend on other things in comparison without even blinking.

Even if it is generic, doesn't everyone need a generic type frag for around the house, the gym, etc.
    Why settle for mediocrity? This is why I still buy scents that are linear, so I don't really ahve to think about them too much. They're still good performers and I enjoy them, but some hot chemically cheap mess that dissapears in an hour, why bother?

PS - I hope I'm not coming across as a total argumentative dick here... The forum doesn't always just write off celebrity scents, there are some good ones, but more often then not it's almost now become the onis for them to prove they aren't garbage.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I think another thing to consider is that Roddick is not really a budget cologne. It originally sold for 40 or 50 dollars a bottle. When it didn't sell, it suddenly was found at TJ Maxx for 10 bucks. I think sometimes these types of frags can be real steals. For example, Agassi promoted a frag called Aramis Life, which I am wearing right now. It was originally sold at a respectable price. Due to lack of appeal, I found a bottle at Wal-Mart for 5 bucks. One of the best values in my collection. I just noticed today as well that Parlux is behind the Roddick frag. I don't know if they ever did much. My stepdaugher had a Parlux perfume called Phantom of the Opera.
    Nice enough, but basically a generic floral scent. Still waiting for Exceptional for Men.. because you are to hit TJ Maxx for 15 bucks.

Guess what? I just talked myself into ordering a bottle of Andy Roddick Cologne. 12.88 on ebay. Stay posted for my impressions.

Brad, you saw Roddick at TJMaxx for $10 and then spent $12.88 on ebay for it? Me confused.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Brad, you saw Roddick at TJMaxx for $10 and then spent $12.88 on ebay for it? Me confused.
    My wife and I went shopping on Wednesday. I had a giftcard for Old Navy, so I thought we should go together and see what they had. There is also a TJ Maxx in the same shopping plaza. It was then that I noticed for the first time that they had Andy Roddick Cologne for 10 bucks. I also saw some other tempting buys (Lacoste Booster, Nicole Miller, etc.), but I wanted to resist buying anything until I could do some online research. I knew that info on Roddick cologne was limited, but I thought maybe if I posted a thread, someone would enlighten me a bit. Well, that was sorta a wasted endeaver. The only enlightenment was that 10 bucks was too much money to waste on another generic cologne. I'm still trying to figure out how a cologne can be dubbed "generic" when nobody can say for sure what it even smells like. So, I figure I bite the bullet once again for the betterment of basenotekind and just buy the stupid thing. Oh, and by the way, TJ Maxx is about 60 miles from my house, so I figure I should bite the bullet twice, and blow another 3 bucks. I guess all the other basenoters can apply that 12.88 to their next Tom Ford Private Blend purchase.

Oh, there's a distance from you and TJMaxx. I understand. Let me know if you ever want to borrow my teleporter. It sometimes doesnt work really well, but when it does, it's pretty cool!
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

"The only enlightenment was that 10 bucks was too much money to waste on another generic cologne. I'm still trying to figure out how a cologne can be dubbed "generic" when nobody can say for sure what it even smells like"

I think that's what I was getting at when I said unfortunately most of the "designer" scents have turned out to be so bad that it's now almost expected they won't be any good unless they've managed to convince a bunch of people otherwise. Ie, a bunch of people had sniffed it just because it was on sale and commented, "hey, this ain't bad. y'all should go get some!"
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Oh, there's a distance from you and TJMaxx. I understand. Let me know if you ever want to borrow my teleporter. It sometimes doesnt work really well, but when it does, it's pretty cool!
    If I programmed the teleporter for destination "Anyplace with an Andy Roddick tester bottle", where would it send me? Also, I found a website that had 50 cent sample vials of Roddick cologne. However, the shipping was like 5 bucks, so I basically got "Sample vial 5 bucks, or full bottle 10 bucks?"

OK, so my bottle of Andy Roddick arrived in the mail today! What I'm getting here is basically a sweet apple musky smell. I think the musk makes this quite similar to something Axe would churn out. So, I would classify this as a sporty frag suitable for the gym or just when you don't need to smell like royalty. But hey, this is something fans of Puma or Adidas would certainly be comfortable wearing. Andy Roddick fans, or just tennis fans in general, that need a sporty frag in their collection can't go too wrong here.

I think another thing to consider is that Roddick is not really a budget cologne. It originally sold for 40 or 50 dollars a bottle. When it didn't sell, it suddenly was found at TJ Maxx for 10 bucks. I think sometimes these types of frags can be real steals. For example, Agassi promoted a frag called Aramis Life, which I am wearing right now. It was originally sold at a respectable price. Due to lack of appeal, I found a bottle at Wal-Mart for 5 bucks. One of the best values in my collection. I just noticed today as well that Parlux is behind the Roddick frag. I don't know if they ever did much. My stepdaugher had a Parlux perfume called Phantom of the Opera.
    Nice enough, but basically a generic floral scent. Still waiting for Exceptional for Men.. because you are to hit TJ Maxx for 15 bucks.
    This is what's called "inflated price". Ever see those watches in supermarkets with suggested retails of 100+ bucks, brands you've never heard of that are really cheap pieces of junk... "on sale" for 10-20 bucks. This is how the market confuses the buyers into thinking they're getting a good deal. This is often the case with fragrances that nobody has ever heard of. Same goes for infomercials/as seen on tv crap. The only way to find it is to take the chance yourself, or read legitimate reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    This is what's called "inflated price". Ever see those watches in supermarkets with suggested retails of 100+ bucks, brands you've never heard of that are really cheap pieces of junk... "on sale" for 10-20 bucks. This is how the market confuses the buyers into thinking they're getting a good deal. This is often the case with fragrances that nobody has ever heard of. Same goes for infomercials/as seen on tv crap. The only way to find it is to take the chance yourself, or read legitimate reviews.
    Let's say you're an 18 year old tennis player that loves Andy Roddick. Do you blind buy a celebrity cologne for 40 bucks? I think that most consumers looking for cologne would shell out at least 10. I suppose you could always go to the local dollar store and get a cheap knock-off bottle of AdG for 3 or 4 bucks, but ya gotta draw the line somewhere.