Code of Conduct

Question I think I'm on a dangerous path here.

Up until about three weeks ago I had never given cologne the slightest thought. And now here I am, asking for advice on how to spend a not-insignificant fraction of my income on the stuff... this is a weird hobby. But I gather I'm preaching to the choir here. Sorry about the novel length post, if you want to skip my initial experiences and musings then skip to the bottom

My girlfriend returned from overseas with a gift from the duty-free shop. It was a Ralph Lauren Polo three-pack, consisting of 15ml bottles of the original Polo, Polo Black and Polo Blue. She also gave me a little 5ml sample bottle of a cologne she'd been given by a family friend years ago. She'd worn it a couple of times but ultimately decided that I might like it better. Having absolutely no idea about fragrances, I dove in with enthusiasm and tried them all over the next few days.

First up, Polo Green. I immediately had a positive reaction this. I smelled like my dad. Well, not my dad, because I don't think he's ever worn cologne in his life, but I smelled like somebody's dad. Maybe everybody's dad. It's a dad-ish smell, like Old Spice. Is that patchouli? It's musky and unambiguously manly, which is nice. The fragrance itself doesn't really rock my world but I do like the comforting retro, barbershoppy thing, which is what I get from this.

Next, Polo Black. As soon as I opened the bottle I felt the urge to pop my collar, apply some bronzer and fist pump. Maybe grind on some unsuspecting young women. Yep, this reminds me of the dreadful generic heavy perfume smell you get attacked by when walking past a trendy club on a Saturday night. I did notice it improved a great deal after a few hours on the skin, and is actually fairly inoffensive when used in extremely small amounts. At that point it just smells vaguely fruity and sweet. (I have also found it smells better when atomised than straight out of the bottle.) Nevertheless, not my thing.

Polo Blue! I instantly preferred this to the Black, though it still smelt way too familiar. I gather this is one of the "blue", or "aqua", or "marine" scents that seem to be super popular these days? While the scent was actually quite nice, all I could think of was that it smelt fake and chemically. That aspect of it assaulted my nose constantly even while I enjoyed the fresh aspect of it. Girlfriend liked this one.

Finally, the mysterious sample bottle given to me with no explanation whatsoever. It smelled strongly of lemon and bitters with a hint of piney freshness. So, so, SO different to the Polo stuff, not just because it was citrusy but because it didn't smell overwhelmingly fake and chemically like the Black and Blue Polos did. It smelt like real lemons, along with copious amounts of some other glorious ingredients I'd never smelt before. It reeked of high quality. I put a dab of this on my wrists before going to work and was grinning like a maniac all day. Absolutely fantastic.

I googled the name in tiny letters on the side of the bottle, figuring I could just get a proper-sized bottle of it. Anybody guessed it yet? It was Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. (And that explains how I ended up here.) I wanted more of this Blenheim Bouquet, especially once I found out that Churchill used to wear it (or so they say...), but was extremely disappointed to find that Penhaligon's entire range is not carried in my country, and to import a bottle would set me back something like $150 USD. Ouch. Time to take another tack. After a few weeks of obsessive reading here and elsewhere I ordered a giant 10oz bottle of Tabac EDC, figuring it was cheap enough that I couldn't go wrong, absolutely massive, and sounded like exactly my kind of scent. Still waiting for it to arrive. But already I want more! Help!

I know the absolute first rule is to try before you buy... but that's boring. And the shops here that carry perfume and cologne carry stuff like Jean Paul Gaultier and Joop and Prada and Chanel and a bunch of other names that I know for selling clothes rather than making fragrances. (I did smell Bleu de Chanel at a big department store. Utterly generic rubbish, like a premium version of Axe). I want distinctive stuff made by people who make fragrances, and nothing but! To be clear, I think I'd rather smell interesting and distinctive than "nice and like everybody else". I don't want Aqua di Gio. My girlfriend already wears that one anyway.

Anyway, it looks like this means shopping online. I've done my research, worked out what notes appeal to me and narrowed down my list of potential purchases to three...

Guerlain Heritage EDP
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Guerlain Vetiver EDT

Are any or all of these sensible choices to kick off a collection with? Is there a more obvious choice I'm missing? The obvious red flag is that I've never actually smelled any Guerlain fragrances, but unfortunately there aren't any available to me. I could get samples, but international shipping often means they approach half the price of an actual bottle. I picked these three because the Vetiver sounds like a fantastic masculine, clean "green" scent, and the lemon/vanilla/spice of the Habit Rouge and Heritage are some of my favourite smells. Those two do sound kind of similar - would getting one rather than both be more sensible?

Any thoughts would be appreciated as you guys really do seem to know your stuff
    Last edited by durf; 5th August 2010 at 04:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I think I'm on a dangerous path here.

durf; First welcome to Basenotes. It appears by your choices, that you have done your homework. I would suggest Habit Rouge and Guerlain Vetiver are excellent choices. Personally I prefer the Habit Rouge in EDP, but I think you will find the EDT more readily available and at a good price. I wish you good fortune in your new fragrance endeavors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I dunno whether to congratulate you for having great taste or wish you luck for eventually winding up $1000 into niche fragrances lol (trust me, if you really like fragrances, youre gunna end up buying them. Alot. Either way, welcome and have fun smellin'!

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    durf; First welcome to Basenotes. It appears by your choices, that you have done your homework. I would suggest Habit Rouge and Guerlain Vetiver are excellent choices. Personally I prefer the Habit Rouge in EDP, but I think you will find the EDT more readily available and at a good price. I wish you good fortune in your new fragrance endeavors.
    Thanks! The EDP is indeed not within my reach. Would you recommend the Habit Rouge EDT over the Heritage EDP? Habit Rouge is half the price, so I'm happy to agree with you on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    I dunno whether to congratulate you for having great taste or wish you luck for eventually winding up $1000 into niche fragrances lol (trust me, if you really like fragrances, youre gunna end up buying them. Alot. Either way, welcome and have fun smellin'!
    The scary part is that after looking at Penhaligon's and Creed etc, the stuff for $60 a bottle seems downright cheap in comparison

Post Thanks / Like

Great story; welcome to Basenotes!

Stay active long enough and you will hear a lot of people here tell you to trust your own likes and dislikes, independent of any other considerations. That is astute advice and you definitely ought to heed it, but I just wanted to say I concur with the others that you have excellent taste for someone who is new at this.

A couple things:

-Polo (green) is by far the most respected here of the three RL scents you received from your considerate GF. You might be interested to know there is a fantastic 30th anniversary edition of the original called Modern Reserve, which goes significantly lighter on the leather and tobacco--making it less dad-like, more wearable--and is relatively inexpensive online.

-Your list of scents for potential purchase are all solid choices to start a collection off, Vetiver and Habit Rouge especially. Guerlain's Vetiver is one of the reference men's fragrances, a tobacco-tinged vetiver which has diminished slightly in quality over the years but remains a classic. I would hesitate to call it a "clean green scent", though. Habit Rouge EdC (which I own and love) is a powdery, sweet leather of great distinction; if you are looking for lemon instead of bergamot, you might want the EdT version instead. I have never smelled Heritage but it has its admirers here.

-In the beginning, you will be tempted to purchase full bottles whenever possible, because who doesn't want to own beautiful things? For the scents that move you in ways altogether transcendant--Blenheim Bouquet in your case, by the sound of it--this is a good and natural thing to do. But unless you are made of money, I cannot recommend highly enough that you sample fragrances, at stores or via online vendors. By trying as many different things as possible, you expose yourself to all sorts of new scents and ideas you would have otherwise never encountered, for better or worse, while saving chunks of change for fragrances you really do want. And the things you thought were good may still turn out to be good...only perhaps just not as good as something, well, better. Either way, I see full bottle purchases as a way of validating my unique tastes when something really bowls me over.

If you could tell us which country you live in, there are probably a few Basenotes members who hail from there who can help you figure out cheaper ways to get the fragrances you want into your hands.

Best of luck with everything, and again, welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes, and good luck with your journey. May I suggest starting with samples and decants rather than full bottles. They are a way to try a lot of different fragrances, and even build a pretty diverse wardrobe without dropping a ton of money on a lot of juice.

There are a lot of threads on here already on where to best get samples. Just do a search. For decants look at the sale and swap threads here and also check out Crystal Flacon.

For the Guerlains you mentioned - Vetiver, Habit Rouge and Heritage - I'd recommend buying vintage rather than the current formulation. Vintage bottles of these can be found at not unreasonable prices on eBay. I prefer the EDC of Habit Rouge to the EDT. Good luck with your search.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    -In the beginning, you will be tempted to purchase full bottles whenever possible, because who doesn't want to own beautiful things? For the scents that move you in ways altogether transcendant--Blenheim Bouquet in your case, by the sound of it--this is a good and natural thing to do. But unless you are made of money, I cannot recommend highly enough that you sample fragrances, at stores or via online vendors. By trying as many different things as possible, you expose yourself to all sorts of new scents and ideas you would have otherwise never encountered, for better or worse, while saving chunks of change for fragrances you really do want. And the things you thought were good may still turn out to be good...only perhaps just not as good as something, well, better. Either way, I see full bottle purchases as a way of validating my unique tastes when something really bowls me over.
    Thanks for all the advice but especially this, which seems extremely sensible. You're right, of course - will attempt to limit all blind purchases unless they're so cheap that it doesn't matter.

I'm in New Zealand which is quite a significant disadvantage when it comes to decant swapping/samples etc. For example, $5 sample + $15 shipping ($20) vs $25 whole bottle + $15 shipping ($40) means the tiny sample is half the price of the whole bottle. At that point it makes sense to just buy the whole bottle and onsell it if I'm not a fan. That's definitely a worst-case scenario, but it's an extra headache.

To be honest I think I have a pretty welcoming nose and love just about all scents. The only thing that I find really offputting are the generic chemical-esque smells like I mentioned above, and I feel pretty confident I can avoid those with help from you guys

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    For the Guerlains you mentioned - Vetiver, Habit Rouge and Heritage - I'd recommend buying vintage rather than the current formulation. Vintage bottles of these can be found at not unreasonable prices on eBay. I prefer the EDC of Habit Rouge to the EDT. Good luck with your search.
    I've heard a bit about this and will look into it. But could somebody explain why these vintage bottles are a good idea when I've read that fragrance only lasts for 3-5 years? Is that a gross exaggeration?

Think I have more or less decided to pick up the Vetiver and Habit Rouge for now, with a bunch of promising samples tacked on to the order

Post Thanks / Like

Blenheim Bouquet - you love it and you've already tried it. Get it! You'll justify the cost because you'll be satisfied.

I bought Guerlain Vetiver blind and didn't like it at all. It smelled like dental cement to my nose. You might love it, but buying fragrances based on description is a recipe for disappointment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Blenheim Bouquet - you love it and you've already tried it. Get it! You'll justify the cost because you'll be satisfied.
    + get some vials for decanting and friends to swap samples with.

I bought Guerlain Vetiver blind and didn't like it at all. It smelled like dental cement to my nose. You might love it, but buying fragrances based on description is a recipe for disappointment.
    Damn! When you're right you're right. On my lunch break I managed to find a store with a better selection, and thankfully it had a Guerlain counter. I eagerly tried a spritz of Vetiver, only to find it smelt like getting a tooth packed in the middle of a resiny forest. Not pleasant... and when I returned to work, I got my first ever cologne-comment from a coworker: "What's that awful smell? It's like that stuff they spray to cover it up when somebody's sick". Not exactly the impression I was going for... I had a meeting in a small room immediately afterwards and had to sit on my hands the entire time

I definitely put too heavy a spray on (after washing my hands five or six times and having a shower, I could still smell it 24 hours later), and to be fair the faint whiffs I got at that stage weren't anywhere near as bad as the original onslaught. But man, I now see the importance of trying before you buy. I couldn't believe how different it smelt to my nose than it did to the ~90% of people who reviewed it in the fragrance directory. Even worse, I tried a bunch of the Guerlain scents and my nose found them all somewhat troubling... like there was a deep bitterness underpinning them all. I appreciate that with a bit of time and exposure I would probably grow to enjoy them, but if everybody around me smells them like I did the first time, I'm not sure what the point is!

They didn't have a Habit Rouge tester but I'll ask if I can try some of that. By description it's still the most promising Guerlain scent and I'm determined to get something from this house I'll also try the Polo Modern Reserve, and a few more of the classics, and hopefully find something my nose loves. And I'm going to put a request in for a bottle of Blenheim Bouquet with the next person I know heading to Europe/the US

Personally I found it took me a while to learn to appreciate Guerlain, including Habit Rouge and Vetiver. So if I were you I wouldn't dismiss them for ever, but come back to them later.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Personally I found it took me a while to learn to appreciate Guerlain, including Habit Rouge and Vetiver. So if I were you I wouldn't dismiss them for ever, but come back to them later.
    I definitely intend to. They struck me as scents that one should gently ease one's self into. Don't think it will be my first purchase but they will stay in mind. I'm going to go back today to get a little spray on a card so I can acclimatise myself a bit rather than squirting a big dollop right onto my hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome durf
    Just thought I'd mention that The Perfumed Court's shipping to Australia is US$8.95 and stays that little until you add a fair amount of samples to your cart. I know from experience! They're hugely reliable and authentic but can be a little on the expensive side. Still, they're great for things like Habit Rouge or Jicky which cannot be bought freely in AU or NZ. Both of these have limited releases for us. And on saying that, perhaps you should try Jicky as well ... while it is marketed to women now it never used to be. There are also many perfumes marketed as feminines that are either unisex or more on the masculine side. Jicky is the ultimate ... I just can't believe it's marketed to women at all ...
    Habit Rouge has a leather note and to discover if you like leather's I would suggest trying Dior Homme which is easily accessible and fabulous. Good Luck!
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D:

You should try Jicky it's kind of lemony also try Shalimar it is closely related and has a wisp of vanilla and spice in it .Yes shalimar is on the girls side but who cares ? Supposedly Jicky is a favorite for Sean Connery .

More great advice! Thanks Kal, I have also been suggested Luckyscent and these two sites are both pretty reasonable with their shipping.

I did give Shalimar a sniff and quite liked it, though it wasn't quite what I was expecting. If I've learned anything though it's that the expectations I formed by reading descriptions are way off! unfortunately they had no Jicky (and I realised the Habit Rouge they had was actually Habit Rouge Sport. No go) so might have to find samples for that.

Tried Vetiver again and have decided it's just not for me at this point in time.

I got a card of L'Instant this time and have been sniffing it all afternoon. While it smelled a bit too flowery to begin with, it's developed (or my nose has adjusted, one or the other) and now I think it's rather nice... my favourite of the Guerlains so far.

This shop is quite a find! Not a lot of depth with regard to the more niche and older scents, but a big selection with ample testers on display, cardboard cards and coffee beans... and best of all, no pushy shop assistants at all. Think I will head down a few times a week, try a spray of everything imaginable and make a note of the ones I particularly like

Quote Originally Posted by durf View Post
    've heard a bit about this and will look into it. But could somebody explain why these vintage bottles are a good idea when I've read that fragrance only lasts for 3-5 years? Is that a gross exaggeration?
    It is indeed. Most fragrances will last for several years, or even a few decades, if kept dark and cool - and protected from air, but if they're in the original bottle or a high-quality replacement bottle, I don't think that air should be an issue. And many reformulations are very recent, so for some fragrances a bottle that's even four or five years old may be distinctly better.

I'm relieved that you're not buying the Guerlains blind - IMO, Guerlain is an acquired taste. (One that I have yet to acquire, at least three years and hundreds of samples into the hobby.)

Point Blank

A couple of suggestions to look into: Acqua di Parma line, Hermes Bel Ami, Creed line - especially Bois du Portgual, you may like Chanel pour monsieur, Richard James Savile Row for men, Givenchy Vetiver, perhaps Amouage Dia. These are all classic, reserved and elegant, a bit in the same vein as Blenheim Bouquet.

Update!

The more I smelled L'Instant the more I liked it. Tried a wrist spritz before going out to dinner and a movie with the lady and it was just fantastic, absolutely perfect and inoffensive. The drydown was a great powdery chocolate smell that you could only detect if you were right next to me. I have decided it is everything I want in a scent and bought a bottle totally unexpected discovery, but there you are...

Just in case anybody else is reading this who's totally new to the game, when people suggest "don't buy blind" they mean it. Two scents I came very close to blind purchasing because they were well-loved and sounded great I found absolutely repulsive. You absolutely have to try because it seems this hobby is 95% subjective.

Some thoughts on some stuff I've sniffed recently, for your curiosity:

YSL Live Jazz: I love the taste of coriander but I don't want to smell like it, and this is all Live Jazz smells like to me. It actually made me feel nauseous. I was so close to blind buying this...

YSL L'Homme: I immediately liked this one, though I felt a bit guilty because it doesn't seem to be especially well-liked here. After an hour of smelling it my opinion turned around a bit. I'm going to try this on my skin though. Also tried the "nuit" version but preferred the regular one.

Kouros: Holy shit! People wear this voluntarily? It felt like it was punching my nostrils! I guess you'd certainly make an impression.

Le Male: So THAT'S what that ubiquitous vanilla smell I've been catching whiffs of for the past ten years is...

Cool Water: Smells like the Axe Marine I wore when I was 12. But I can see the appeal.

Dior Homme: Quite pleasant, but has an unsettling note somewhere in there that I couldn't get over. Chucked the card after five minutes.

Burberry London: I liked this quite a lot. Finding it hard to get over the fact that it's from Burberry, which I associate with chavs.

There are more but I've forgotten. In the meantime, ordering some samples: Geir Neiss, Burberry London, John Varvatos, Bulgari PH Extreme, Perry Ellis for Men, Rive Gauche and Mugler Cologne. Future samples will definitely include Acqua di Parma, Chanel pour Monsieur, and Penhaligon's English Fern/Endiymon/Racquets.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Welcome to the wonderful world of fragrance. Now you see why we're all addicted. You've certainly jumped in with both feet and are already becoming quite knowledgeable! It's great that you're sampling before buying. Keep the reviews coming.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

What nice reading! Thanks for posting your thoughts durf. And best of luck on your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    you may like Chanel pour monsieur
    Tracked down a bottle of this at last and it is divine! Great suggestion

The sales lady went straight for the Chanel Bleu and cocked an eyebrow at me when I insisted I wanted to smell this one instead. I don't know why. It's immensely better.

Post Thanks / Like

Burberry London: I liked this quite a lot. Finding it hard to get over the fact that it's from Burberry, which I associate with chavs.
    Heh! I know where you're from.
    Last edited by adonis; 14th August 2010 at 09:29 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes, durf! And thank you for sharing your thoughts! I too agree with the mantra: Sample, sample, sample & the occasional FB/decant to rock your world... But a little warning: this hobby can get very addictive - I can't seem to travel anywhere without scouting for perfume stores, lol. Have yet to move in to my new place and already I'm thinking about where to store all my stash.

Point Blank

Tracked down a bottle of this at last and it is divine! Great suggestion

The sales lady went straight for the Chanel Bleu and cocked an eyebrow at me when I insisted I wanted to smell this one instead. I don't know why. It's immensely better.
    Great! Don't mind the SA - most of them, it seems to me, aren't that knowledgeable - they just know what the latest fragrances are, so that must be trendy and cool. Likewise, classics must be the opposite, unless you're an old gentleman with a walking stick. I don't believe it has anything to do even with the smell itself, it's just a superficial judgment based on trend. If they smelled it on somebody and that person would say "this is the latest, yet to be officially released, Armani" they'd be crazy about it. The SAs in general are a pain in the ass, insisting to tell you what they want to sell. One day, I'll insist to smell Kouros to their disgust and then ask "do you have something with more of the urinal smell to it as long as it's not Armani?" just to see them struggling for words.

Point Blank

Btw, you should try Hermes Bel Ami if you haven't yet. It has similarities to Chanel pour monsieur but is of a darker, more masculine variety.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome on Basenotes and congrats on your already well assorted fragrance wardrobe and your ceaselessly diversifying perfume taste. Two slight suggestion from me- from Guerlain, the rather lavishly priced and not so easy to find Mouchoir de Monsieur, first released in 1904, smells so much less than an Old School, formal or heavy, and far more like an experimental fragrance, way ahead of its time and also a tremendous compliment-getter
    Also, you might be interested to test two contemporary fragrances by the house of Penhaligons Opus 1870- a very clean, well-structured, dry distinguished woody fragrance and Endymion- an upscale version of gourmand fragrance, ingredients with uncommon, not excessively sweet suggestion of fudge, toffee, chocolate, coffee and sage, as well as a hint of Suede leather

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Last edited by kbe; 16th August 2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: double post
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh durf..what a gloriously fragrant Magic Carpet ride you have begun!

Sample, sample, sample and then sample some more. You will find some you dislike and some you think you cannot live without.

A few diverse wonders I would recommend you try:

Aramis Havana
    Donna Karen Fuel for Men
    Caron The Third Man
    Guerlain Vetiver
    PDN New York

Good Luck!
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Heh! I know where you're from.
    I'm not. But chavs are a worldwide phenomenon

My first and only blind buy, Tabac Original EdC, finally arrived. And of course it doesn't smell anything like I was expecting it to (I'm detecting a pattern here). Thankfully, what it does smell like (soap, with a hint of musk. Nothing more, nothing less) I quite like. Makes me smell fresh and recently showered. This will be my "I want to smell good, but totally inoffensive and not like anything in particular" smell and the 10oz bottle will last me, at a conservative estimate, ten thousand years. Got lucky with that one, but won't be doing it again!

Thanks to all for the suggestions, I have dutifully looked them up and noted down the ones that sound appealing and aren't too difficult to get. Ken, the apparently prominent "civet" note in Mouchoir de Monsieur means it might come in rather low on that list I'm afraid

I figure with Tabac (clean), L'Instant PH (sweet and sensual), and Blenheim Bouquet (fresh and zesty), I have covered most of the bases that I wanted to. So no need to rush out and buy anything else (bet you guys have heard that one before). In the meantime I'll slowly work my way through samples and testers in store to find the next "wow" smell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Got lucky with that one, but won't be doing it again!

<snip>

So no need to rush out and buy anything else (bet you guys have heard that one before).

In the meantime I'll slowly work my way through samples and testers in store to find the next "wow" smell
    1. You got lucky so you probably will be doing it again!

2. No need no, and yes I think most of us have heard that one before - from our own mouths and minds when looking in the mirror.

and 3. That "next "wow" smell" you're talking about - it's called the Holy Grail (HG) around here. It is something most of us have once pursued or are still pursuing and like the one of Arthurian Legend, it doesn't really exist. Not as we imagine anyway. The search for it spells your doooooooom ....

Congratulations! You now officially 'belong' among us 'crazies'! Weeeee!

*psst* it's too late for yooooooooooooo!
    Last edited by Kal; 18th August 2010 at 09:09 AM.
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D: