Code of Conduct

Default Do you think Timbuktu smells like CK Contradiction on the drydown?

Hey Guys:

I gave my sample of L'Artisan Parfumers Timbuktu a good test this evening. At first, it smelled very floral/incensey. However, if you let it drydown before you wash it off your arm in disgust, I do believe it actually transforms itself into a rather wearable smell, albeit very similar to Calvin Klein's Contradiction. Anybody else get this impression?

Default Re: Do you think Timbuktu smells like CK Contradiction on the drydown?

No, it's nothing like, and far better than, Contradiction in every respect.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Timbo is glorious straight out of the bottle IMO. It's mostly smoky green wood to me, the floral component just provides an ambience. Contra is not my favorite. The opening of course is much more sparkling than Timbo, due to the prominent lime note; but the woody notes in Contra seem gummy and gray, and the lime sticks around but becomes sour as it loses its sparkle. IMO a closer relative of Contra -- a better execution of the idea -- is Guerlain Homme. Timbuktu is a world apart from both.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

To me the drydown is more akin to Lomax Horizon

I'm still going back to this one and I can't really get that association out of my head. I think it's the fact that both have a vetiver/patchouli drydown.