Code of Conduct

Default Has JOOP HOMME ever been reformulated?

Do any of you know if Joop Homme has ever been reformulated?

The reasons I ask are this:

1. I recently sprayed some on my hand from a tester in Perfumania, and it smelled different than the bottle I have. Actually it smelled better than my bottle. Specifically, the patchouli was much more pronounced in the stuff I tried at the store.

2. I've seen three different bottle designs of this. The one I have is a 1 oz. bottle with the word "Homme" written right under "Joop!". The tester I tried (above) has "Homme" written above "Joop!", up near the top of the bottle. There are also pictures online of what appears to be a bottle that is purple or dark blue.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Has JOOP HOMME ever been reformulated?

I've seen a few different bottles too with the word 'homme' in different places. Also, there seems to be a symbol / logo of some sort at the top of the newer bottles - I can't make it out but it's on their current website. I'm probably going to sound like an idiot now so here goes....I've just found out whilst Googling 'Joop' for pictures of the bottles that 'Joop' is pronounced 'Yope' (to rhyme with 'Hope').....never thought about it before.....I thought it was just an amusing word, not the name of Wolfgang Joop the fashion designer. All these years....!

Blog Entries

JOOP! Homme reformulation...what'd the first batch wipe out an endangered species?

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    JOOP! Homme reformulation...what'd the first batch wipe out an endangered species?
    Well, given the fact the a lot of teenage boys wear/abuse it and girls (for the most part) love it, it prolly did the opposite and increased the species.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I doubt there is a 20 year old fragrance out there that hasn't been reformulated...

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I doubt there is a 20 year old fragrance out there that hasn't been reformulated...
    True. But the nice Joop! Homme still does its frag-assault job as effectively as ever

Joop! is so strong even today that i cant detect any changes due to reformulation.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post

Joop! is so strong even today that i cant detect any changes due to reformulation.
    Maybe that was the intent!

I heard it was rebranded and now is called Creed Original Santal....at 10 times the price....
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

I don't think this fragrance has been touched through the years other then updating the bottle and box some over time.

Yeah Joop is pronounced as Yope that rhymes with Hope. Wolfgang Joop is like the Calvin Klein of Germany - only his fragrance took off in america but not his clothing line - shame cuz the companies designs are not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    I heard it was rebranded and now is called Creed Original Santal....at 10 times the price....
    I thought it was Amouage Reflection..

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I don't think this fragrance has been touched through the years other then updating the bottle and box some over time.

Yeah Joop is pronounced as Yope that rhymes with Hope. Wolfgang Joop is like the Calvin Klein of Germany - only his fragrance took off in america but not his clothing line - shame cuz the companies designs are not that bad.
    Wonder why he can't any distribution for his other frags such as Freigeist & Wolfgang.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Wonder why he can't any distribution for his other frags such as Freigeist & Wolfgang.
    I think that is a decision on Coty Prestige they must feel the name is just not marketable beyond Europe. Look at Hot Water by Davidoff - Coty chose not to launch it at any major department store yet Cool Water original is still a good seller. I believe I saw Hot Water in the fragrance section of a Kohl's....?

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I think that is a decision on Coty Prestige they must feel the name is just not marketable beyond Europe. Look at Hot Water by Davidoff - Coty chose not to launch it at any major department store yet Cool Water original is still a good seller. I believe I saw Hot Water in the fragrance section of a Kohl's....?
    Ya, I was only able to sample Hot Water at Kohl's. I agree with the statement, I also think fragrancers automatically know which fragrances are gonna be huge hits and which are gonna flop. Why waste the time and money marketing fragrances that just aren't going to sell.

Yes it has been. For the worst also. The current formulation smells terrible. While the Joop! with "Homme" above the Joop! smells divine on clothes and skin. But better on clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by BAGreat View Post
    Yes it has been. For the worst also.
    Could it actually be worse?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Could it actually be worse?
    Joop PH has (well used to have) an incredible drydown. Current version just has earthy patchouli. Nothing as complex as before.

There is 3 times reformulation.
    joop-homme.jpg
    1st - Best
    7245.jpg
    2nd - Nice
    1370966732-17550300.jpg
    3rd - Worst

I think it has been reformulated, and it's less refined (if you could ever call JOOP! refined in the first place). It is still very intense and will knock you out if you're not careful with the trigger, but I have to admit, I have a soft spot for the fragrance, as I wore it a lot in high school. It brings back memories!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    I think it has been reformulated, and it's less refined
    Thanks, you have made my day

Joop ph dry down is good but to survive top note is a very long wait like 4 hours. Easily a women scent but a confident guy sure can score in this scent.

I have tried the second two pictured in post # 17. The last seems to be missing the good sandalwood note (that the second possesses) that "cut" the elements that are overbearing in it. After an hour or so the second is quite well-behaved, actually.

Basenotes Junkie

Popped into a department Store today (havent done that in ages) and thought id check out some standard fragrances.

Have kind of been a Creed fanboy lately and after today i appreciate the quality of creed even more i have to say. Sprayed Joop Homme, thought i was going to have an asthma attack lol. Smells nothing like original santal, bizarre compparison. The new Cool Water is disgusting and is nothing like GIT. Prada Luna Rossa extreme smells like insect repelant and is still going strong 7 hours later and still smells just as foul. Gucci Guilty was merley average at best, I love my very standard freshies like Aventus etc but Blu De Chanel which i expected to like was very disspointing and boring.

The only fragrance that was passable was Issey miyakes Lea Dissey and even that did not smell like the original formulation for the first hour, but after a while it did take on a familiar tone to what i remebered back in the 90's.

Very dissapointing...

While fully unsure about any reformulation (s), maybe just my personal impressions, tastes and perception of this fragrance may have changed, but I don't sense its "burnt sugar", heavily sweet note as offensive as initially, when I first tried this fragrance.

yeah... i still wear this even though i am in my 30s and despite the fact that it gives me that darn nausea every single time for one spray!!! but i don't give a sh****Z it's worth the wait. nothing beats narcissism (to whichever way you see it LOLS) the way Joop can do it.

Disagree with NOWII's assessment. I have the so called worst formula, and can tell you it's awesome. Get a sweet tobacco dry down which is not even listed in the notes surprisingly. Can tell you, this will always be in my collection. One spray to the chest and you are golden.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Navyy8 View Post
    Disagree with NOWII's assessment. I have the so called worst formula, and can tell you it's awesome. Get a sweet tobacco dry down which is not even listed in the notes surprisingly. Can tell you, this will always be in my collection. One spray to the chest and you are golden.
    Golden shower?
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Quote Originally Posted by indianwells View Post
    Golden shower?
    Ha ha good one...same guy who hypes TF Sahara Noir for Women on this forum.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin