Code of Conduct

Default Basenotes Awards?...

Does anyone know, will there be a Basenotes Awards edition this year? If yes, when?

Grant, can you tell all of us about this? I think everybody is waiting for news! These awards are much more valuable to any perfume aficionado than Fifi Awards or any other so called 'industry awards'. I've been searching for a word about this on this forum since may...

Looking forward to your answer...
    [ Larry ]

Default Re: Basenotes Awards?...

It's a bit different this year. We're not taking votes, but using data from wardrobes and SOTDs. Coming later this month to coincide with our tenth birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It's a bit different this year. We're not taking votes, but using data from wardrobes and SOTDs. Coming later this month to coincide with our tenth birthday
    Great, it will almost coincide with my birthday too..
    I suppose you will let everyone know with news posted everywhere on the site...
    10 years for BN... how nice!!! Happy BD and long live BN!

And congratulations for what you've done here!

[Larry]

Awww...I liked the voting idea. Wardrobes probably aren't updated that much.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    Awww...I liked the voting idea. Wardrobes probably aren't updated that much.
    I agree with you, wardrobes don't change quickly enough to reflect the hotter,newer fragrances.,

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I agree with you, wardrobes don't change quickly enough to reflect the hotter,newer fragrances.,
    I tend to agree. Won't it create a logistical nightmare, ensuring that the directory is updated with new scents just as they roll out onto the market?
    I dont know if this will reflect members tastes accurately.

I agree with you. But it is still more than nothing and I think even if they use the wardrobes these awards would be more relevant than the Fifi Awards which select the winners based on rather odd criteria (a lot of money involved, if you know what I mean).

So, Grant, any news on the Awards? When should we expect them?

great news so what date will the awards be published? awaiting with baited breath! The site is great but it is the awards that bring me back again and again and 2009 is just....so 2009!

The wardrobes aren't up to date, since so many new launches are missing from the directory. It would be interesting to see the data you have collected, in some form, but don't use it as voting data.

I think it would be a shame to lose the Basenotes Awards, IMO they are much more important and relevant to us than the so called official awards like Fifi or others.
    Basenotes Awards are based on what people say, they are not given by a fancy organization that can be influenced by who knows what criteria (you know what I mean... )

To be honest, the last year has been really busy. I'm doing all this pretty much on my own, and the voting should have gone up at the end of 2009, but it never happened and now we're in September. Don't know what's best to do - skip a year?

thoughts?

I've been doing my wardrobe the last couple of nights, but I'm only on C at the moment lol. It's taking a month of Sunday's going through and clicking on what I've got, had or tried. I wish I hadn't sampled so many perfumes now hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    To be honest, the last year has been really busy. I'm doing all this pretty much on my own, and the voting should have gone up at the end of 2009, but it never happened and now we're in September. Don't know what's best to do - skip a year?

thoughts?
    I say keep the awards. Look at the perfume blogs that are nominated or get in the Top 3, they have their little "honor badge" on their blogs. It means something.

I understand the need to move Basenotes forward and that it's more fun to develop new things than doing the same old same old...but I think many members who do not comment much, or not at all, participate in the voting. I think it strengthens the community, it's fun, easy and quick from our side (but not for you, I know), and I think the results of the voting do have some weight in the larger perfume community.

Even if it's a bareboned version with a short voting window (2 weeks?), I think it's worth doing.

I fully agree with furrypine and I would add that basenotes in general and these awards in particular are a great source of info for people who are not necessarily passioned about perfumes but interested in them. A lot of people come here just to read some useful comment or review and choose their next perfume based on those. The awards meant and they will mean a lot for a perfume buyer, he will be very interested to find here the voice of the masses about the best perfumes.

If I google "perfume awards", basenotes awards 9th edition is coming in 3rd place showing how important they are on the web

So I think it would be great to keep the awards by all means and yes, even with a shorter voting window.
    If we can help in any way in organizing this, please let us know.

[ Larry ]

Any news yet?
    Thanks

I agree, I lurk here once in a while. I am interested in perfumes, but also in many other things and I just can't be spending lots of time on every forum.
    The awards were always interesting because I had again new things to read up on, there was a kind of hierarchy I could depend on to try new things. The devout aficionado probably is an expert on the different powerhouses and has a good notion of the different niches, but the interested amateur needs some scaffolding to build on. The awards are great for that.

Lets compare with movies: most people I know look up movies on imdb, on the top 250 or in the subcategories, and perhaps look up Oscar winners. They trust the aggregated votes, so they don't need to spend lots and lots of time finding information about similar films they would like, niche films, asking other people what their opinion is, reading all the critics, etc. I don't need these facilities because I have seen a vast number of movies and able to form a good picture of the movie landscape. I like to read the different critics' views and use time finding very niche movies.
    But you need step A before you can get to B. And some people do not desire to get to B at all, but love the aggregator features none the less.