Code of Conduct

Default An Observation on the Creed Boutique (USA) Website

When I was browsing the Creed Boutique (USA) website (http://www.creedboutique.com), I noted that the term Millesime is no longer explained and the categorization of fragrances as Millesime or Eau de Toilette is no longer presented.

If one uses the search function for the word 'toilette' (http://www.creedboutique.com/search....query=toilette), the following fragrances are displayed:

Bois de Cedrat
    Royal English Leather
    Santal Imperial
    Vetiver

(Note: this search seems to only work intermittently for me).

If one searches for Millesime (http://www.creedboutique.com/search....uery=Millesime), the following seven fragrances are displayed:

Imperial Millesime
    Tabarome Millesime
    Neroli Sauvage
    Erolfa
    Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse
    Selection Verte
    Green Valley

Some of these only show up because of comparitives.

At Creed UK, each fragrance is categorized as either Eaux de Toilette or Millesime. For the list of Millesime's credits (http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/products/millesime), there are 26 listings. But I am unable to locate any definition of the term 'millesime' any more.

My conclusion is that Creed is no longer emphasizing the term millesime. Perhaps they want to walk away from it, except as a naming convention.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 6th August 2010 at 12:22 AM.

Default Re: An Observation on the Creed Boutique (USA) Website

They have this entire post on the boutique blog:

http://blog.creedboutique.com/ask-cr...lesime/#more-1
    -

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post

My conclusion is that Creed is no longer emphasizing the term millesime. Perhaps want to walk away from it, except as a naming convention.
    Curious. Perhaps they ran into a trademark issue (they no longer own the rights to "Millesime" in perfume and I'm too lazy to look up if anyone currently does) or even ran afoul of the French wine industry (they are always getting huffy when perfumers use wine terms although I can't recall why they get their way) or maybe it's just a marketing shift.

Toilette may indicate a lower oil to alcohol ratio. Maybe the Millesimes have more. This needs further investigation.

My intuition says its marketing or legal.

I've never understood their use of the term, and their blog post doesn't really clarify it for me, either. According to Google Translate, "millesime" is French for "vintage".

High camp, comic relief from the Creed blog: "Still, even CREED must use a synthetic ingredient or two. Why?........."
    Who writes this awful copy anyhow?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    High camp, comic relief from the Creed blog: "Still, even CREED must use a synthetic ingredient or two. Why?........."
    I dont know about you but that writeup sounds quite sane compared to what I can read on the websites of Xerjoff, Serge Lutens, By Killian, etc..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I dont know about you but that writeup sounds quite sane compared to what I can read on the websites of Xerjoff, Serge Lutens, By Killian, etc..
    It's amazing how often fragrance copy is so grande dame. Does the industry really think its audience is made up of drag queens?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual View Post
    Toilette may indicate a lower oil to alcohol ratio. Maybe the Millesimes have more. This needs further investigation.

My intuition says its marketing or legal.
    I suspect marketing, as there are fragrances which has Millesime as part of the name. I do recollect reading that those labeled as 'millesime' were of EdP strength (in distinction from EdT strength).

What is interesting to me is that very few of the fragrances are currently identified as EdT (and none as EdP, as far as I can tell) at the Creed Boutique USA website. This differs from how most of the houses present their fragrances.

I liked the bit about "responsibly harvested sandalwood from Mysore, India, the world’s best and most expensive, obtained only by following complex local rules and located in a place inaccessible by air." Isn't sandalwood exporting still banned in Mysore?

Creed's copy is a little goofy but it's better than I expected and could be so much worse. Nez a Nez sets the gold standard for bad copy and sounds like someone describing a mescaline trip or if you contacted William Burroughs via Ouija board to write a perfume ad and then put the results in a blender. It's badness is so genuine and exquisite that it becomes enjoyable, like B horror movies or early rap. Easily my favorite.

"The humility becomes a Minotaur on the wall. Armenia in accordion is consumed. The smoke embraces the incense to crawl along the stone and saltpeter. Shyness unites with the Minotaur."

More here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/251...28#post1831628
    Last edited by Zizanioides; 6th August 2010 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    I liked the bit about "responsibly harvested sandalwood from Mysore, India, the world’s best and most expensive, obtained only by following complex local rules and located in a place inaccessible by air." Isn't sandalwood exporting still banned in Mysore?
    It's all very confusing, isn't it? Formulas from 1781 that include synthetics, illegal sandalwood that is harvested responsibly, etc. It's like listening to a sociopath.

It's all very confusing, isn't it? Formulas from 1781 that include synthetics, illegal sandalwood that is harvested responsibly, etc. It's like listening to a sociopath.
    You have made me laugh out loud 2 times in three days now Kevin. Stop it...
    First Marc Jacobs/Amy Winehouse pics and now this. Lurv me sum Kevin.

It's amazing how often fragrance copy is so grande dame. Does the industry really think its audience is made up of drag queens?
    Perfume ad copy is so often filled with hype and stretching the truth. Creed still got their start as a tailoring house in London.

I only own Royal Delight and will someday sample Royal English Leather.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Ha....I will be on the look out for your comments when the next overly ornate, pretentious and google-translator transcribed Mr. Lutens ad copy is launched...
    -

exactly. everyone loves bashing Creed marketing, while Marc Jacobs launches a new fragrance covering his naked crotch... and the Amouage website has more CGI special effects than Inception.

the bias is so distorted... and so tired.

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    exactly. everyone loves bashing Creed marketing, while Marc Jacobs launches a new fragrance covering his naked crotch... and the Amouage website has more CGI special effects than Inception.

the bias is so distorted... and so tired.
    I think if you look at the thread for Marc Jacobs - Bang you will see that I and Kevin think the marketing and photos for Bang are ridiculous, but they are tongue in cheek and light hearted but stupid I agree. Creed copy is not tongue in cheek IMO. It is serious in nature, often coming off as elitist to some maybe. I could care less, I buy fragrance based on how it smells, I was simply stating that Kevin makes me laugh whether he is poking fun of Creed, or giving me shit about my new love Bang. I am learning to accept that not everyone is going to see things my way here and like what I like, so I stop defending it and just enjoy the fragrances and the houses I like and not worry about the banter. It makes it a bit more fun.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

...Formulas from 1781 that include synthetics,...

.."Creating a 100% natural CREED perfume is preferable, of course. But a natural composition would not survive the months-long journey that begins with hand bottling at the CREED workshop in France, sea shipping to the United States" etc.

So I take it we are to assume that from ..ahem..1781 to the introduction of synthetics no Creed stood up to a long trip from the site of manufacture to wherever? Or were temperatures during transportation so much better back then..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

For the record, I own and love Jasmine Impératrice Eugénie. I have gone through a bottle of Vanisia and plan on replacing it this fall. I've also owned Tabaróme Millésime, Acier Aluminium, Silver Mountain Water, Fleurs de Bulgarie (as per ZZtop's recommendation), Green Irish Tweed, Vintage Tabaróme, Erolfa Shower Gel - the best outdoor showering experience of my life. Royal Scottish Lavender is one of my favorite lavender fragrances and I plan to buy a bottle. I stop by the Creed Boutique in Paris twice a year and I was actually poking around the NYC Creed boutique on Tuesday night.
    I'm just one of those who find their claims to be so over the top that they become self-parodies. No harm in voicing one's views, is there?

Ha....I will be on the look out for your comments when the next overly ornate, pretentious and google-translator transcribed Mr. Lutens ad copy is launched...
    I actually love ornate, purple prose, it's double speak that drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin guyer View Post
    it's amazing how often fragrance copy is so grande dame. Does the industry really think its audience is made up of drag queens?
    lol

Blog Entries

LOL

Except in the case of celebrity feminines, where they assume the audience is mostly drag strip princesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    Nez a Nez sets the gold standard for bad copy and sounds like someone describing a mescaline trip or if you contacted William Burroughs via Ouija board to write a perfume ad and then put the results in a blender. It's badness is so genuine and exquisite that it becomes enjoyable, like B horror movies or early rap. Easily my favorite.

"The humility becomes a Minotaur on the wall. Armenia in accordion is consumed. The smoke embraces the incense to crawl along the stone and saltpeter. Shyness unites with the Minotaur."

More here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/251...28#post1831628
    LMAO

OMG - I almost sprung a leak reading that!

*cackling uncontrollably*

Yes, but such a lovable sociopath! Tell us more! MORE!

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    .."Creating a 100% natural CREED perfume is preferable, of course. But a natural composition would not survive the months-long journey that begins with hand bottling at the CREED workshop in France, sea shipping to the United States" etc.

So I take it we are to assume that from ..ahem..1781 to the introduction of synthetics no Creed stood up to a long trip from the site of manufacture to wherever? Or were temperatures during transportation so much better back then..

In all fairness, I think Creed is doing a nice job on that blog of what the industry as a whole is doing - coming clean on synthetics. The fact that, not only are synthetics olfactorally necessary and desirable, but that they do double-duty as preservatives. The fact that they're letting it out slowly in managed sound-bytes instead of a full confession - I'm OK with that, actually.

Too many consumers want to hear those sweet lies about "all naturals", but they also want scents that frankly depend on synthetics. I think Creed is actually stepping up here.

As for the Mysore, they are probably doing it by some horrible government-dependent process that costs ten times as much as before and brings home oil from deadwood and minuscule cuttings. Nobody is going to blog about illegal Mysore and expect it not to raise a stink (no pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LOL

In all fairness, I think Creed is doing a nice job on that blog of what the industry as a whole is doing - coming clean on synthetics. The fact that, not only are synthetics olfactorally necessary and desirable, but that they do double-duty as preservatives. The fact that they're letting it out slowly in managed sound-bytes instead of a full confession - I'm OK with that, actually.

Too many consumers want to hear those sweet lies about "all naturals", but they also want scents that frankly depend on synthetics. I think Creed is actually stepping up here.

As for the Mysore, they are probably doing it by some horrible government-dependent process that costs ten times as much as before and brings home oil from deadwood and minuscule cuttings. Nobody is going to blog about illegal Mysore and expect it not to raise a stink (no pun intended).
    That's a really good point, no one is making them disclose this information and it is refreshing to have some honesty from a perfume house. They promote the perception that the synthetics are just preservatives and the fragrance ingredients aren't, but that's minor given they are already exceeding anyone's expectation of disclosure.

The issue with searches and results on the Creed site is likely not due to them wanting a focus on certain phrasing and not on others, it's likely that not all items have been properly tagged with all the relevant search terms. It's just a case of sloppy site maintenance, and nothing more sinister.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

A point of clarification: if one was not familiar with the layout of the Creed websites prior to their current incarnation, my original post might not be sufficiently clear. Basically, when one selected fragrances for men or women, the next choice was either (a) eau de toilette, (b) millesime or (c) special collection. My point being that in the current design those destinctions are no longer emphasized. I think it is deliberate, but certainly not sinister.