Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Extreme Equivalent?

So I sampled Tom ford Extreme and really like it....what I don't like is the cost for something that doesn't have the longevity and projection it should for such a price. Is there something out there that could be considered an equivalent? I know in frags there is no such thing as an exact match but what are some frags I can explore that have the same vibe?

Did a few key word searches and nothing turned up otherwise I wouldn't have made the thread.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Default Re: Tom Ford Extreme Equivalent?

No response must mean there isn't anything that's even remotely close, huh.

No there is, a fragrance that references many of the same points, lasts longer and smells great.

It's Tiffany for Men.

Tom Ford for Men references Chanel Pour Monsieur and riffs upon its basic theme. Pour Monsieur Concentree was intended to respond to complaints that CpM lacked longevity, but didn't succeed.

Tiffany for Men is what Chanel Pour Monsieur in a more concentrated form should smell like.

So, the answer to your question therefore is Tiffany for Men.

Tom Ford Extreme I've always felt is a bit of a misnomer since it doesn't really last any longer than the normal version.

I have all four of these (Tom Ford for Men, CpM and Concentree and Tiffany for Men) and the longest lasting of the lot is the Tiffany.

Roughly in the same ball park is Escada pour Homme (which Tom Ford in my opinion clearly referenced for his bottle design for the For Men), but it only very loosely references these.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Cool. So TF Extreme and the original TF have the same scent but supposedly the extreme would last longer and you think it doesn't. I didn't test the original TF, not even on paper. I will next time. I'll also look for TfM, I think I saw it at a discounter a couple times like Ross or Marshalls. Might be mistaken but will keep my eye out.

Post Thanks / Like

Smells like a mix of several fragrances to me, but toned down a lot. Not really ever giving off any specific top notes, very advanced and "extreme" indeed. Not my favorite, but not horrible.. Though I haven't smelled anything like it.

Michael By Michael Kors...... The visual of this scent is James Bond relxaing in a sophisticated gentlemens club smoking very expensive grade tobacco out of a pipe.

I've smelled M by MK and it's nothing like the smoothness you get from Extreme. What I loved about extreme is that there really wasn't any 'cologne' type smell at any point. It's like you just rubbed wood and leather and such on your skin and it never really feels like you are wearing cologne. When I got all hot and sweaty it's like it just blossomed and had this manly but kinda muted scent. It was manly but not musky, real smooth, not bitter or gamy at all. Smelled really, really good. I might just have to be diligent and find a good deal on a bottle. Save it for the right opportunities and use other stuff similar to it on more casual days. Or win the lottery....hah

Put it into context though if I use 1.7oz over the period of 100 applications that's around $1 a use. That's less than I spend on a coffee each day. I spend much more on fuel for my vehicle each day. Could be worth it to smell like I want to.
    Last edited by Pipsta; 6th August 2010 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    Cool. So TF Extreme and the original TF have the same scent but supposedly the extreme would last longer and you think it doesn't.
    Not in my opinion. I find pretty much zero resemblance between the original TF and TF Extreme. The original TF is more of a citrusy sort of scent, somewhat similar to Escada PH as others have noted. It is good and worth testing (and certainly cheaper!), but nothing like TF Extreme. Unfortunately I cannot think of anything similar to TF Extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    Not in my opinion. I find pretty much zero resemblance between the original TF and TF Extreme. The original TF is more of a citrusy sort of scent, somewhat similar to Escada PH as others have noted. It is good and worth testing (and certainly cheaper!), but nothing like TF Extreme. Unfortunately I cannot think of anything similar to TF Extreme.
    I have TF reg and its NOTHING like extreme. I have a sample of Black Orchid And TF Ex and you are right about it not smelling like a cologne at all. its more like you are using a scented oil or you just rubbed your skin on the actual ingredients. $125+tax a bottle is steep for that little amount. TF reg just doesnt last long

Post Thanks / Like

+1 to there being clear differences between the TFFM and the Extreme version. I was shocked at the difference. I found the TFFM rather bland and weak, or I simply just didn't get what it was all about. The Extreme smelled to my recollection, much more leathery, almost rubbery, and woody. Black Orchid has some resemblance and certainly has HUGE sillage and longevity, but it's got a bit more of a feminine component I think. Certainly, it's extremely distinctive.

Have you tried playing around with application methods to get more longevity out of the Extreme?

Not that it's any cheaper, but maybe somewhere in the same ballpark is the private collection Japon Noir. Leather and spices, but I think it's missing something from the extreme. Still, a very nice frag with ok projection and good longevity.

PS - check out Katie Puckrik's Youtube review on TFFM (or was it the extreme?)
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 6th August 2010 at 06:13 PM.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

I love Tom Ford Extreme. I have not had many opportunities to smell it, but I think Ralph Lauren's 'Safari' is a good substitute. I do, however, find 'Safari' to be drier (less sweet) than Tom Ford Extreme. You can't go wrong with either fragrance, in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

TF Extreme has substantial longevity on my skin, and it's one of my favorites. A great mix of ingredients that result in a very unique fragrance.

Tiffany for Men is interesting for sure.....Another fragrance to try is Halston Man.....I sampled this at Saks last week and was blown away.....Just a thought!!!
    Gary

Tom Ford Extreme is a great modern masculine that takes the manly man theme and adds class and distinction. Accept no substitutes as greatness cannot be bargained with.

I think its based on Gucci Pour Homme, at least to me they resembles each other