Code of Conduct

Default Seeking first Vetiver

I've recently fallen in love with vetiver, and I'm searching for my first fragrance utilizing this. At a local Sephora, I compared Guerlain Vetiver as well as Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, and of the two, I personally preferred the Guerlain.

With that said, my lack of perfume knowledge has left me without others that may be comparable or superior to them. I'm also curious about the budget vetiver fragrances, such as those by Fragonard and the like.

Which fragrances do you recommend I seek samples of? I don't mind if it's a pure vetiver fragrance or more of a combination, but I definitely want it to be noticable.

Thanks all.

Default Re: Seeking first Vetiver

Encre Noire

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/172...w-scents-added!)

I'd personally begin with Vetiver 1948 Creed.

Diptyque Vetyverio is my favourite, give it a try!

Vetyver by Fragonard

Encre Noir

Sur la Plage

All you need is Givenchy Vetyver. I would stay away from the Fragonard - it's a budget fragrance for a reason.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dependent

+2 Encre Noire. If you haven't already, I recommend trying it. Dry, inky, woody, earthy vetiver with a contemporary feel. It is a must-try for anyone looking to explore vetiver scents.

My favorite (though I have not tried that many) vetiver-centric scent, is Sel de Vetiver. A little on the pricey side, but worth it in my opinion.

These 2 satisfy my need for Vetivers quite adequately.

Givenchy Vetyver, Encre Noire, Vettiveru.....Fat Electrician is a sleeper.

Off-Scenter

Some of my favorite vetivers are Givenchy Vetyver, Encre Noire, Etro Vetiver, Mazzolari Vetiver, Sycomore, Sel de Vétiver and Annick Goutal's Vétiver. Of these Encre Noire is the most readily available and reasonably priced. I've never been a great fan of the Guerlain, and my once-beloved Route du Vétiver has been maimed in a gutless reformulation.

The Guerlain is nice. Another one on Encre Noire.

If you feel like spending, try Vetiver Tonka of Hermes and Sycomore from Chanel.
    Last edited by volley2; 6th August 2010 at 04:01 AM.

Seriously give Etat Libre d'Orange - Fat Electrician a try. It might not have "vetiver" in its name but hell what a good creamy vetiver scent it is !
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

My fav's -Tom Ford GV, Givenchy Vetyver, Guerlain Vetiver, Encre Noire, Sel De Vetiver

Sycomore
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Annick Goutal Vetiver

The Guerlain is excellent, and hard to beat for day to day wearability.
    Last edited by pluran; 6th August 2010 at 06:07 AM.

I'll agree with Pluran on this. You may end up with something you love more but for quality and cost it's hard to beat the Guerlain as a first vetiver frag.

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    Some of my favorite vetivers are Givenchy Vetyver, Encre Noire, Etro Vetiver, Mazzolari Vetiver, Sycomore, Sel de Vétiver and Annick Goutal's Vétiver. Of these Encre Noire is the most readily available and reasonably priced. I've never been a great fan of the Guerlain, and my once-beloved Route du Vétiver has been maimed in a gutless reformulation.
    +1 on everything here. Sorry I can't be more help, but I love vetiver and it's hard to decide on my favorite amongst all of these fragrances. They are all somewhat different and all worthy of at least a try.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The Guerlain is excellent, and hard to beat for day to day wearability.
    ^ What he said ^

I think Encre Noire is the easiest one to begin with.

Paul Smith Story is pretty cheap, but it is dirtier smelling than others I'ver tried. Might be worth sampling though.

So many excellent vetivers, so little time.
    Here's a few more good ones:
    Hermes: Vetiver Tonka
    Parfums de Nicolaď: Vetyver
    Vetiver Pour Elle: Guerlain
    Vetiver Oriental: Serge Lutens
    Vetiver Extraordinaire: Frederick Malle

All of the great vetivers (IMO) have been mentioned above. I'll second (or third, whatever) EldO's Fat Electrician, Luten's Vetiver Oriental, Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire, and CdG's Vettiveru. They're all wonderful IMO. The Guerlain, also, is a staple (IMO) in any vetiver-lover's wardrobe. Welcome to the Green Side!

Oh, I forgot, Armani also has a great vetiver in their Prive line - Armani Prive Vetiver Babylone. There's mixed feelings on this one, but I LOVE vetiver and this is in my top 5.

There really are so many great vetivers that emphasize different aspects of vetiver. I prefer the dark, earthy aspects, so I love Route du Vetiver (I haven't tried the reformulated version, but the word on here about it is not good) and Lorenzo Villoresi's Vetiver. The LV is NOT what you want if you're looking for a bright green vetiver, though. I also agree with everybody about Encre Noir, unless you don't care for the inky note.

Sample, Sample, Sample!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ^ What he said ^
    What Mike said

The Malle is wonderful, but Guerlain can be had for a fraction of the price.

I recently sampled Encre Noire, and while I'm sure it's a wonderful fragrance, it wasn't what I was looking for. I'm seeking something bright and fresh, universally perfect for hot summer days as well as when they're colder in the fall. Perhaps similar to the green scent in Mugler Cologne, but with less soapy synthetic.

Will this help narrow down opinions? I am going to try the others listed above as soon as I can.

I find your last comment a bit confusing. I didn't really think of Mugler as being a vetiver type fragrance.
    However, I sampled Creed Original Vetiver and get a similar soapy vibe to Mugler. I know several basenoters compare these two. However, I wouldn't recommend shelling out the big dollars for a Creed if you're on a tight budget. I still believe that Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is one of the better buys for a rooty vetiver frag with bright citrus. Another frag in the line of Mugler would be Gendarme Green. You can order samples directly from gendarme.com.

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    Diptyque Vetyverio is my favourite, give it a try!
    Very curious to read more reviews on this one, as I love Diptyque.

I find TF's Grey Vetiver to be nice, not to mention it has great longevity. Roger & Gallet's Vetyver is not bad if you're looking for an EDC to freshen up with and smell good for about an hour so (and not cause serious damage to your wallet!).

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    All you need is Givenchy Vetyver. I would stay away from the Fragonard - it's a budget fragrance for a reason.
    +1!! The dark side of this is that it may all go downhill from there...
    If possible, find the oldest vintage and then get the new re-release (from les parfums mythiques line), they are BOTH pretty great scents.

Can't forget about this one....

It is really stressing me out that I know there is only one bottle of this left at the place I go to for niche frags in town.

Point Blank

Encre Noire

Quote Originally Posted by xiton View Post
    I recently sampled Encre Noire, and while I'm sure it's a wonderful fragrance, it wasn't what I was looking for. I'm seeking something bright and fresh, universally perfect for hot summer days as well as when they're colder in the fall. Perhaps similar to the green scent in Mugler Cologne, but with less soapy synthetic.

Will this help narrow down opinions? I am going to try the others listed above as soon as I can.
    You are looking more for green than for earthy then. Try Green water.

Maybe Carlo Corinto Vetyver? Make sure it is the old one spelled with an "y".
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Since you prefer the fresh grassy green sort, I'd sample:

F. Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Mugler Cologne
    Prada's Infusion de Vetiver
    Creed Original Vetiver

What about Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

My favorite is Underworld by Soivohle. Just got a bottle from my Wife yesterday for our anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    This is another great Vetiver scent that rarely gets mentioned here.

It's an interesting scent with a lot of variants.

My two cents:

Guerlain Vetiver- Almost like a benchmark of vetiver scents. Sort of set the tone. Can't go wrong with this.

Encre Noir- A nice, affordable alternative treatment of vetiver. A more sensual spin on it.

Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire- A very nice and strong pretty straight forward vetiver.

Luca Turin doesn't call Guerlain's the "reference vetiver" for nothing. Like it or dislike it, it really is the starting point from which nearly all other contemporary vetivers depart.

That said, I am a huge fan of Encre Noire and wear it much more regularly than I do Guerlain Vetiver. However, to me Encre Noire is less a "true" vetiver than a fragrance that blends it masterfully with other woody notes. (They can both coexist happily in the same collection, and both can be found at substantial discounts online, so why not just buy both?

Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire and Different Company's Sel de Vetiver are both niche scents worth exploring at some point. And Comme des Garcons' Vettiveru is a wonderful "everyday" vetiver, bright and slightly citrusy. Hove Parfumeur's Vetiver is wonderfully intense and earthy, as is Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Route de Vetiver.

But if you're just setting out on the vetiver path, Guerlain is the way to go. If you like it, all else will follow ...
    Last edited by JacquesD; 4th September 2010 at 08:18 PM.

I'm seeing too many vetiver posts lately. May be time for Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I'm seeing too many vetiver posts lately. May be time for Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    "Vetiver Extraordinaire" might be the LeLabo version I sniffed at Barney's in NYC recently. It was rich, complex, and thoroughly vetiver-ish. Loved it, sorry I didn't buy it.

A good, inexpensive vetiver: Roger & Gallet Vetyver. It's a clean, pure vetiver, not a lot of other notes getting in the way. It's one of the old-line R&Gs - possibly discontinued, but reasonably available last time I checked online.

creed vetiver 1948, sadly that one is going to shut down but it is my fav, their new vetiver called original vetiver might be one to try.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    creed vetiver 1948, sadly that one is going to shut down but it is my fav, their new vetiver called original vetiver might be one to try.
    You know there are other fragrances besides overpriced Creed's out there lol

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I know but whenever i smelled them they cannot compare, i like tom ford though lol.

Guerlain Vetiver

DeepSilence

Lalique PH

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    I would also recommend this one too.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I agree, thats all this guy talks about, and quite honestly looks silly and narrow minded doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by md1grwl View Post
    I agree, thats all this guy talks about, and quite honestly looks silly and narrow minded doing so.
    I am entitled to my opinion just as you are, I rarely find anything comparable. I would appreciate it if you were a bit more respectful because the words that you utter can be found offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    I am entitled to my opinion just as you are, I rarely find anything comparable. I would appreciate it if you were a bit more respectful because the words that you utter can be found offensive.
    your signature is funny

if your looking for top notch vetiver then go for Creeds Original Vetiver. It doesnt get more Vetiver with that. It uses more natural products then anyone. I talked to the Creed lady at the Nordstroms fragrance section and she told me exactly how they make it and how the earthquake in Haiti caused there to be a drought in Original Vetiver because they didnt have as much of the natural Vetiver that they make it with. Not trying to be a Creed groupie or anything, because i just got introduced to it and although i do like it im not going to neccesarily only go for Creeds or something, but in this particular situation, if you want a straight up Vetiver, then Creed Original Vetiver should be king

Quote Originally Posted by md1grwl View Post
    your signature is funny
    I enjoy Creed, i do not see what is funny about. Mocking and trying to get a rise out of me shows what kind of a person you are. I feel very sorry for you and I hope you get help.