Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Talking ** THIS SATURDAY! ** San Francisco Shopping Meet-Up September 25th!!

(reposting from the mens' board)

Inspired by the rather epic Boston meet-up and conversations with fellow local BNers, I'd like to propose a Basenotes San Francisco Shopping Day.

I don't think we'll be able to pull off a massive 3-day sleepover like they did in Boston, but we sure know how to spend a day shopping!

[edit] It looks like the crowd has spoken and we'll be doing it Saturday, September 25th.

Let's sniff, go nuts, hopefully get some nice samples, and throw some money around!
    Last edited by rogalal; 20th September 2010 at 03:01 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Default Re: San Francisco Shopping Meet-Up in September??

I would enjoy this, although only the second of those dates, the 25th, would work for me. Last year's get-together was a great time!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Usually my Saturdays are taken up with performances but there's a possibility I could meet up on the 25th. This would be fun!
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Count me in, either day as of now. (I'm coming from San Jose)
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Basenotes Plus

25th is mo betta 4 me
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Oh how I envy you all! I really loved my four days in San Fran
    last May. I presume you are going to Dyptique just off Union Square?
    Happy sniffing and spending.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I might turn up for this one if my finances aren't too drained from my time here in Europe. The one in April was great fun!

Bumping this thread... looks like I'll be in San Francisco on the 25th!!! Is this meet up going to happen? (hope yes!)

Default Re: San Francisco Shopping Meet-Up September 25th!!

Either Saturday would work for me.

Blog Entries

I know this is tacky, but I'm bumping this thread...

Anyone else in the Bay Area, or maybe travelling here???

We're set on Saturday September 25th.

Blog Entries

Only 2 weeks to go!!!

I've only spoken to a few of the stores so far (I'll be making the rounds this weekend), but we have promises of sample packs from Saks and Jo Malone so far.

We need more people! We only have 7 or 8 so far, when we had 15 last year!

I know there are a lot more Bay Area Basenoters - and this is a great opportunity for quiet lurkers to join us!

Anyone???

Basenotes Plus

Glad it is still on- do we have an initial meeting place as of yet??
    A Scent Rescuer

Blog Entries

Ooh, samples! I don't know if I'll make it rogalal. I had to spend about 2 1/2 hours away from my new son for an appointment this past week, and I missed him so much! He's still so young (6 1/2 weeks) that he eats every two to three hours, so I don't think I could bear to be away from him for an entire afternoon. Sorry!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I'm sorry Heartwood can't come, but, I do understand!

I'll be there for sure -- just awaiting further instructions! :-)

Blog Entries

Hi all!

OudGirl (you can change your name all you want - you'll always be AnOudGirl to me...), at the last meet-up we even discussed how this one would end up way too close to your baby date for you to come. Although that doesn't change the fact that you'll be missed!

I made the rounds today and talked to all the stores, so I can make it official:

We'll meet at 1:00 at Diptyque - they have the new Eau Duelle and Vetyverio - if you haven't sniffed it yet, Duelle is fabulous - a totally new spicy take on vanilla with tea.

We'll pop through Hermes (who are hoping to have samples of the new Eau Claire de Marveilles by then) on our way to Neiman Marcus, where the Jo Malone boutique will have some fun gifts for us. The Creed rep will be on hand to help us out (spoiler alert: They'll be getting in a few bottles of Windsor!). Downstairs, the Fougere Royale re-issue will hopefully be in stock by then (it turns out that it IS exclusive to this one specific store, and they're only getting a limited number of bottles, so this is perfect timing). And that's not to mention the Guerlain boutique with all the exclusives (a whole ton of new ones should be in by then, including the new mens duo and the Shalimar Eau Vanille!)

We'll probably grab some drinks and snacks at the Neiman Marcus cafe (home of the legendary Neiman Marcus cookies!!!) on our way down the street to new store Harputs, who have an interesting selection of niche scents, including the Six Scents and Etat Libre d'Orange. That'll be quick, and then we'll jump across the street to the legendary Parfumerie Jacqueline (probably best know as the only store in the world with Parfums Regence, though as of today, he was down to a few bottles only...).

Then we'll go up a couple blocks to Saks Fifth Avenue, who have generously offered us some nice samples, as well as some extra fun little gift bags from Bond No 9. We'll sniff our way through the Bonds and the Kilians and the rest of their exclusive selection.

At that point, for our last stop, we'll make our way over to Barneys. They're having some labor drama, so some of us may choose to skip this last stop, especially if there are picketers out there. But they're working on gift bags for us, and have some fun new items, including their exclusive new L'Artisan Coure de Vetiver Sacre and hopefully a new Le Labo and possibly the new Lutens.

When all is done, we'll decide if some of us would like to sit down for dinner somewhere.

For those joining us from out of town, there are many more interesting places worth checking out, so the truly hardcore may want to make an evening run through Bloomingdales or Sephora. If it happens, it happens...

bump

Just wanted to add that I really WISH I could make it to San Francisco for the adventure on the 25th. It all sounds like such fun (and California is a little easier for me to reach, as opposed to states further east).

I hope you have a great time, and I'll look forward to the recap.

I was trying to logout when I hit this tread. I live in the Bay! Doesn't Barneys start a gift with purchase that day? I've been on a perfume diet, but I now feel the need to smell something new! Serge Lutens' Louve is at the top of my list.
    Do you just meet at a time and place posted on this thread? I'm new to this site. My perfume buddies at Barneys told me about this site.

I'll be in SF over that weekend with my daughter to visit my son, but we'll only be there for 2 days. Next time I'm there for a longer visit, I'd love to meet up with ya'll. I'll be thinking of you while I'm there! Sighs...
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Quote Originally Posted by Kalynne View Post
    Do you just meet at a time and place posted on this thread? I'm new to this site. My perfume buddies at Barneys told me about this site.
    Welcome Kalynne. Please do join us!

Just find us (and we'll find you) at Diptyque at 1:00 pm. But do watch this thread in case rogalal has any last-minute changes to announce.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Blog Entries

Welcome Kalynne! Yup, just meet us at 1:00 at the Diptyque boutique. Everything is loosely planned - with too many people, it's impossible to follow a strict schedule...

I'll send private messages closer to time, too, with extra little details.

And yes, I think the Barneys bag event should be going on. The Neimans one will be finished by then, though.

And Lessa, I'll PM you my cell number. If you happen to be around Union Square with your family at any point, we'd love to at least say hi!

RainDrop, our little San Francisco meet-ups are by no means as well put together as the official ones - we're really just a bunch of crazy people running around bothering the stores. But we usually buy enough and have enough fun that they actually enjoy us.

I'm getting anxious... The date is getting closer!

I'm quite intrigued. Who knew, I wasn't the only perfume freak...I thought it was just me!

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post

RainDrop, our little San Francisco meet-ups are by no means as well put together as the official ones - we're really just a bunch of crazy people running around bothering the stores. But we usually buy enough and have enough fun that they actually enjoy us.
    Sounds like a blast! One of these days, hopefully soon, I'll make it back to SF! BTW, I'm actually somewhat intrigued and slightly fearful of the "legendary Parfumerie Jacqueline"....

M. Andre is very sweet. He just doesn't have patience for people with bad taste! Ok, I sympathize...people coming in asking for Cool Water! I've been a customer for 18 years. I love old fashioned/real perfumes. I also love essential oils. These are the things he appreciates as well. So, enough snobbiness. We have great conversations about politics and life. Love him!

Blog Entries

I think the man at Jacqueline has a couple of pet peeves - people who come in looking for popular crap you can buy anywhere else, and people (like me, I'll admit) who want to treat his store like a perfume museum and just smell everything. If you talk to him about anything other than "Ooh! Can I smell ALL your Carons?!", he's quite witty and interesting and very friendly. We had a nice conversation about cheese and the really nice chevres coming out of Sonoma County the last time I was there, I believe.

Blog Entries

Default Re: ** THIS SATURDAY! ** San Francisco Shopping Meet-Up September 25th!!

11 people and counting - and we're less than a week away!

Do we have any other Bay Area folks?

Default Re: ** THIS SATURDAY! ** San Francisco Shopping Meet-Up September 25th!!

Thank you Rogalal for all your planning! I'll look for the PM, and am so looking forward to this sniff-a-thon! (my nose gets fatigued after 3 or 4 scents, so I'll be nodding knowingly while faking it all day!)

I think I'll wear 'Envy" to express my feelings! Have a great time,everyone!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I'm so sick right now, but hope to make it. My plan for last weekend, was to try more scents on my skin, but 101 temp kept my dizzy self at home! I just hope I can smell by Saturday!

I want to find a new home for a few bottles, and if anyone who's going to be at the 25 September 2010 meet-up wants one, I'll be happy to pass it on. This is a giveaway, not a sale or a swap, and I don't want to pack and ship anything, so it's only for people attending the San Francisco meet-up. Please PM me if you would enjoy receiving one of these when we gather on Saturday:
    • Creed - Erolfa 1.0 oz, 85%
    • Etro - Palais Jamais 100 ml, 90%
    • Chanel - Egoiste 4 ml miniature splash, 90%
    • Ineke - Chemical Bonding 75 ml, 90%

If more than one person wants the same thing, I'll choose at random. (I'm not doing first come, first serve, because I'd prefer for everyone to think this over and not claim things they don't actually want!)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I'm sure this will be a fantastic meet-up everyone, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to bail. The meet-up in April was great but it's just not practical come down to SF just now - I hope all of you have a great time; SF is a great city for this kind of thing.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Please take tons of photos to share with us. It pains all of us who cannot join you.
    Healing vibes to Kalynne.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I'm so sick right now, but hope to make it. My plan for last weekend, was to try more scents on my skin, but 101 temp kept my dizzy self at home! I just hope I can smell by Saturday!
    Hope you're feeling better Kalynne, so that we can see you there!

Blog Entries

Wow - I hope Kalynne feels beeter by then!

LOL at C Rose nodding knowingly and faking it...

And we'll miss you, Suga!

959Lover has confirmed by PM that he'll hopefully be able to meet us, too.

This is getting really close...

(Update: No one has spoken for Palais Jamais. There's no harm in PM'ing me if you were hoping for one of the others, since Erolfa and Chemical Bonding are large and potentially splittable. Egoiste is just a mini, so consider it taken!)

Edit: let's say the lion's share of Palais Jamais goes to 959lover, per his request on the thread in the Male Fragrance board.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Blog Entries

Just a couple of repeats from the men's board post:

If you have them, bring along some little empty vials - that way we can trade little samples of the stuff we buy.

Also, in tribute to Paul's generosity, if anyone wants a little sample of anything in my wardrobe, just let me know sometime today and I'll bring it along.

See you tomorrow!

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! I think I have public transportationitis. BART and bus...so gross!

Blog Entries

Lots of us Bart in - it really is the easiest way to get to Union Square without being ripped off for parking...

Basenotes Plus

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! I think I have public transportationitis. BART and bus...so gross!
    I'm an old hippie, so I'm either going to take Greyhound overnight and avoid the whole parking/hotel problem or drive to the farthest southern Bart station and BART in. the bus vs gas will cost the same, though bus is longer.

Train times were inconvenient for our event and for flying- I have to drive 1-2 hours south to get to Burbank or LAX, then fly. Sta Barbara flights are way overpriced and I'd rather spend the money on the scents.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 24th September 2010 at 08:47 PM.
    A Scent Rescuer

Blog Entries

I'm impressed with the ammount of work you're putting into getting here!

C Rose, this happened to fall on a day you'd be here on vacation?