Code of Conduct

Default Is The Third Man really an 80s powerhouse?

I smelled this Caron scent yesterday, and enjoyed it. Research into it on basenotes, however, shows opinions that are unusually divided. Some people say it is a fougere; others that it is a chypre. Some call it 'manly', others 'unmistakably feminine'. Some say it is an ubiquitous 80s powerhouse, others that it is a formal scent best worn with suit and tie. Some find it cloyingly sweet and powdery, others find both at their most discreet.

I know that opinions on these matters have a large dose of subjectivity, but this diversity of assessment is a tad confusing. The Third Man seems to live up to its name as far as being the, well, mysterious 'third man' of whom Joseph Cotten's character spends most of the movie trying to discover the identity.

The question of whether it is a chypre or fougere aside, I am especially puzzled by its being called an eighties powerhouse. I am not familiar with these, but had understood the term meant something like, "fragrances that achieve the monstrous sillage of some simple, heavy, dense accord at the expense of subtlety and complexity.' Do some people think of The Third Man as an 80s powerhouse because it has good sillage?

If it is because it fits into a category of scents typical of the 1980s, can anyone recommend scents _like_ Third Man/Troisieme Home/3rd Man? As it is, I know of nothing quite like it - but I don't know much about the genre.

AromiErotici

Default Re: Is The Third Man really an 80s powerhouse?

A substantial floriental is what I get from it. It's a terrific scent and yes, a difficult wear for some. Not everyone can pull this off.

To me, that one depends on you. It's not a typical 80s powerhouse imo.

If you like and feel you can rock it, go for it. If you're insecure about it, pass.

I agree with Turin on this one. It is a very "pretty" scent no doubt.

No, it's a lot sweeter and doesn't have strong oakmoss or patchouli. It's also simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    No, it's a lot sweeter and doesn't have strong oakmoss or patchouli. It's also simpler.
    Are you remarking on 80s powerhouse fragrances when they are contrasted against The Third Man here? Just making sure I've understood your point.

Right, Third Man is powerful, but not in a typical 80s "masculine" way.

Sur la Plage

IMO, no.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I wouldn't really sweat it over the classification if I were you? If you like it, wear it. Simple.

Androgynous Powerhouse

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Actually a effeminate Macho

Not a typical 80s powerhouse. Definitely a sweet fougere/floral to my nose.

Somewhere in between fougere and oriental as far as I'm concerned. Wouldn't exactly call it an 80s powerhouse but it smells amazing and is well worth owning for any frag head.

The last thing I would call Third Man is "powerhouse" - it just doesn't come close to my 80's powerhouse scents.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    Somewhere in between fougere and oriental as far as I'm concerned. Wouldn't exactly call it an 80s powerhouse but it smells amazing and is well worth owning for any frag head.
    I agree...not an 80s style powerhouse as I define those, but a very worthy addition to a BNer's collection. One of the best from the Caron house.

No, not at all if you compare it with Kouros, vintage Antaeus, vintage Bijan, Ted Lapidus, Smalto, etc. It is just a well done floral scent for men.

Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    I smelled this Caron scent yesterday, and enjoyed it. Research into it on basenotes, however, shows opinions that are unusually divided. Some people say it is a fougere; others that it is a chypre. Some call it 'manly', others 'unmistakably feminine'. Some say it is an ubiquitous 80s powerhouse, others that it is a formal scent best worn with suit and tie. Some find it cloyingly sweet and powdery, others find both at their most discreet.
    I tried it from a TPH sample and was put off a bit by how much "throw" the amber-rich base had. Then again, it could have just been a matter of circumstance that people out in the hallway could notice that someone had a really good cologne on.

"Oriental" - for sure. Suitable for formal wear - I think so. It doesn't seem to have the punch that many 1980's powerhouses have - compare it to the heavier florals, woods, and tobacco of Quorum, for example. But the bottom line is that if you enjoy it, and can wear it with confidence, go for it.

Maybe from the 80s but not everything from the 80s was a Powerhouse

Don't know whether I would call it a powerhouse, but it sure is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Not a typical 80s powerhouse. Definitely a sweet fougere/floral to my nose.
    Sounds good.

It’s a complex fragrance. Fougeres (basically, lavender-coumarin-oakmoss) often contain noticeable fresh, floral, oriental and woody notes, but The Third Man has considerably stronger floral (esp. jasmine) and oriental notes. Its fougereness is easily indentified by the light grey, slightly soapy and effervescent cool-warm notes. The drydown of the new stuff seems a little more floral oriental, though, maybe due to less oakmoss, or any number of reasons. But The Third Man was never as grey (or matte black) as other fougeres like Azzaro pour Homme, Rive Gauche pour Homme, Jules, Or Black, etc.

Patou pour Homme Prive is another good example of a fougere with a plenty of florals (iris, jasmine) and a considerable oriental influence, but it's a lot greener and astringent with an earthier and less sweet drydown.

-- I wore The Third Man the other day and the women at the bank liked it. They thought I'd been smoking a pipe.
    Last edited by pluran; 13th November 2011 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    IMO, no.
    I have to agree!!!
    Gary

Think a cafe. And a high school girl and a lavender scent wearing man who are next to her, both in cafe. Now give that man a cigarette so the high school girl constantly cough. That's what would I describe The 3rd Man.