Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Vetyver by L'Occitane

I tried this today, for the 1st time.

- Very light on the vetiver
    - Reminded me of a more herbal powerhouse masculine fougere (Cacharel Pour Homme, Equipage, Z-14, etc) in a dark-formal-serious sort of way - which was NOT what I expected
    - The final drydown leaves a trace of salty vetiver but not very strongly

I know a bunch of you guys own and wear this one. As a vetiver fan myself, I guess I expected more from this one. What do you enjoy about it?

Default Re: Vetyver by L'Occitane

For me it's how the bergamot and nutmeg notes interplay with the vetiver which reminds so much of Flibustier.

It's been a while since I tried it, but when I did it reminded my very strongly of Gucci Envy for Men.

I enjoy the bitter and herbal opening going to the warm and spicy drydown.
    While vetiver is a team player here rather than the soloist, it shows both the green and the woody aspects of the vetiver in this composition.

The new one (in the brown bottle) is a poor shadow of the original formulation (clear bottle). I was lucky enough to snag a vintage bottle off ebay a year or so ago and the longevity and depth are much greater than the newer one. It's almost like it's a completely different scent. One of the few vetivers I can wear.

Hey Mike! I recently finished a bottle of the original Vetyver, and currently wear the reformulated version. I posted on the Fragrances wanted board looking for a bottle of the original, and IT was brought to my attention by a fellow bn'er that there was a bottle on e-bay, which by the way was really priced right. The more I thought about it the only difference that I could find between the two were the fact that the original had a bit more vetiver on the bottom. Other than that they were basically the same, so I passed on it. It is more about woods, and a definite floral herbal accord than vetiver. All, and all in the world of vetivers it is not a heavy hitter, but none the less a pleasant scent to wear. Now I will say that their vetiver soap is by far the best I have ever used, and now they added a twist to that. The soap I'm referring to was an oval bar, and now as I look at their web site I see It's a square bar which I have yet to try, so I don't know if it has changed or not.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Sur la Plage

I recently finished up an older bottle of the Vetyver shower gel - I really liked it a lot. I don't know if it is still the same as being sold today.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Though I'm not a big fan or this scent, objectively I do think it's a good wood fragrance.

I don't find it to be a great vetiver fragrance though. I agree with MikePerez in that the vetiver plays a mere supporting role here. Also, there's an underlying sweetness (tonka? vanilla?) that I don't like.

I agree with all the posts on this thread. I'd quote them all to prove it, but no use to that.

The scent is a good one, and a favorite of one of my cousins (at least the old formulation is, don't know the new one) but the vet is indeed low on this baby, and a team player as saripatates says above.

Really nice stuff, but I don't get the darkness per se, that you do Mike.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks everyone.

I think I am going to spring for the shower gel and see how I like that before I start venturing to find the vintage EdT.

I'm not that fond of serious powerhouse fougeres, mostly because I can't wear them easily in Miami's hot weather and I am not a powerhouse kind-of-guy. I feel like I'm wearing a three-piece-suit every time I wear one of them. Sharp dressed, impressing, getting compliments from the ladies...but just not my style.

Cool Re: Vetyver by L'Occitane

mike: I don't think of it as a powerhouse fougere, but then I don't think of Cacharel PH as one either.

I believe you're right on an an important point: How on earth do you wear this in Miami?

I guess Vetiver Extrordinaire fits the bill in that kind of weather, but this one?

Like DustB, I also agree with all the other posters; and I also enjoy this frag--at times. It's pensive, introspective and brooding.

In that respect I'd compare it to Hermes Rocabar, which smells nothing like it, but has the same vibes for me.

So unless you find yourself in an all night coffee house ( preferably one that's been around since the 30's by a train station) at 2 a.m. remembering the days of your life with other lost souls, give it a pass.

Cry Me a River,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Also, there's an underlying sweetness (tonka? vanilla?) that I don't like.
    I agree completely with this...I LOVE the opening, as others have said bitter, herbal, smokey, with some floral notes as well...all the qualities I love, but after about a half hour on my skin it starts going sweeter and I'm reminded strongly of Carven Homme, which I already own but find I rarely reach for because I find its sweetness cloying. If L'Occitane Vetyver could just keep the feeling of the opening into the drydown, it would be a must-own for me.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

I never got to know the original. It is said to be a lot better. It was discontinued along with Patchouli. Neroli was discontinued sometime back. I't's annoying how they produce and discontinue stuff at L'Occitane. Back to your subject, I was the first client when L'Occitane opened their first boutique in Ibn Battuta Mall (Dubai) in June 2005. I bought Vetyer that day and loved its simplicity. To me, it belonged in a space somewhere between Carven and L'Artisan's Vetiver (also discontinued). It's a bit static but quite raw and earthy. Something like the stuff they use in Thai spas in this part of the world. I smell vetiver in it more than you do, I guess. And I can detect a tiny little hist of patchouli, but yes, it's not like the vetiver amount one finds in Guerlain's vetiver. I bought another bottle last year because I wore the first in good days--in days I was happier and with almost no stress in life. It reminds me of those serene days.

I loved it at first, but having smelt so many blends after becoming a member of BN, I came to the conclusion that, simply put, it is a nice vetiver. IMHO, there are others that are much better.

For example, I do find a relationship between Encre Noire and L'Occitane's, the first one being stronger than the former. Guerlain's and vintage Carven's are much better than these two, IMHO. I even find R&G's Vetiver much more enjoyable.

Basenotes Institution

If someone has a picture of a vintage bottle, can you post it please?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I hate this rubbish. Smells like dirty old tonka and vanilla beans are drowning any hint of earthy vetiver goodness. Meh.
    "...call on God, but row away from the rocks..."

Basenotes Institution

Since I started this thread a couple years ago I thought I'd post an update: I now have been using the Shower Gel of this scent for a couple months now. I really enjoy vetiver scented soap and shower gels - there is something about that particular accord in a hot shower that just smells fantastic. I would call Guerlain's the very best vetiver shower gel I've ever smelled, but the L'Occitane is a nice fougere-ish, very masculine alternative. It doesn't have anything synthetic about it, it's naturally pleasing to the nose. One small thing: It doesn't really suds up that much. Overall, it leaves me lightly scented with the scent but not disturbingly so. I'm not sure that I'm ready to buy a bottle of the scent yet (I have so many vetiver scents already) but if you are on the fence about the scent, give the shower gel a try. I found mine on Amazon.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I own and enjoy this one but I dont get any longevity on my skin. Not tried the shower gel.

The shower gel is great. I believe it's discontinued but is still available from resellers.

I bought the shower gel early this week at the local L'Occitane shop to complement the EdT I bought the week before... Great stuff!

In the US, at least. the shower gel has been discontinued. It's also no longer on the US website.

I like it a lot myself. I never got a chance to smell the original formulation...