Code of Conduct

Default What defines masculinity throughout the years: your pick for each decade

I am wondering what are your picks for what is THE ultimate "manly" scent for each decade, and how that is evolving and defining new generations, feel free to do it your way, start with the 70s or the 20s if you want and then share what masculinity meant in the 00s as we're only entering the "new" 10s and what would you like to see in the future!

Keep in mind that i am not asking what were the popular scents of each decade, only what you think it was the masculine scent of that decade in your personal opinion, if that happens to be the popular pick, then that's fine!

cheers Bnoters

Default Re: What defines masculinity throughout the years: your pick for each decade

Hmmm

I think the "masculine" scent of the decade will have been somewhat popular. I am interested in the history of men's frags, but don't consider myself an "authority." Want to see other people's input here too. Much of this is just my perception of it growing up in the 60s and 70s.

1950s
    Old Spice???
    Old Spice probably reigned supreme from 1930s into the 60s. There were some other higher end men's scents available. I just don't think the average guy would go near them. I know Chanel Pour Monsieur was available, but I think it was probably pretty "elite" to wear it in 50s. While Chanel frags are standard department store fare these days, I'll bet they were tougher to find in the 50s. Probably treated more like Creed is now. Limited retail availability for men. Any BNers old enough to remember if the department stores even had a male fragrance section in the 50s?
    1960s
    Aramis/Habit Rouge
    The beginnings of men's designer scents into department stores imo. I recall Aramis being the first men's scent backed up with soap, etc.
    1970s
    Grey Flannel/Polo
    What man in the 70s didn't wear Polo? It was late in the 70s, but I recall it being everywhere.
    1980s
    Green Irish Tweed & Cool Water/Obsession for Men/Bois du Portugal
    Tons of selection by the 80s. I think Polo and Grey Flannel (and some others) really launched men's frags. Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein have men seriously hooked by now.
    1990s
    L'Eau de Issey/Aqua di Gio/Millesime Imperial
    An interesting turn from the 80s frags. Like it or not, I remember women drooling over Issey big time.
    2000s
    Windsor/Fierce
    I know Dior Homme is probably going to many others pick. I'm not sure. It's not feminine, but I don't know I'd confer "masculine" pick of the decade on it...There are a ton of frags launched since 2000. Want to see where others weigh in with this.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 7th August 2010 at 08:57 PM.

Default Re: What defines masculinity throughout the years: your pick for each decade

1970's to early 1980's... Aromatic Fougère.

While I generally agree with the trends identified and outlined in the previous posts, I would also like to mentioned that the 2000s decade marks a certain return to formulations like Rive Gauche, which although released during this decade and with a very contemporary vibe, also mark a certain return to a rather conservative (far more timeless, than dated) of masculinity. After Rive Gauche, more and more designer and niche houses alike tended to elaborate barbershop-like/fougere frags over the 2000s; aside from a certain tendency- far more unrelated to Rive Gauche- to revive the powerhouse and (slightly updated, re-branded) Old School feel (leather, tobacco, Orientals, citrus, spice, herbal aromatics, woody notes etc.) while still granting more gourmand, experimental, androgynous and/or airy-watery frags a significant share

I will use the format of StylinLA since i liked it!:
    (note: my picks are not necessarily the frags i liked best)

1940s:
    There were many scents released this decade but i could shorten the list of runnerups by saying that the ones that defined what a man was were English Leather and Moustache...both scents have influence on what it was (english leather from the early century) to what it will be (moustache to the 70s) but i want to say that the Classic Chypre with a little punch that were the animal faintly pungent basenotes that was Moustache wins here, even if it wasn't really popular or known at all.

1950s:
    Here i think the male of the species wanted to smell simple, fresh, yet with a certain "something", which makes me think of a dichotomy made of Pino Silvestre and Monsieur de Givenchy. I want to think that the 50s man was an elegant man as well, but the clear winner here and the one that personified masculinity was Pino Silvestre, no fuss, what you see is what you get, "i don't wear perfume" -only Pino- kinda guy.

1960s:
    Now things get complicated as many "classics" were released this decade: Aramis, Guerlain's Vetiver (and many other vetivers), Avon's Wild Country, Monsieur Balmain, Habit rouge, Brut, Eau Sauvage, etc.
    I think that the man in this era still wasn't about to let go and be all crazy with the new scents, and Guerlain and Givenchy still had a long way to go in terms of distribution, in this decade of changes, the man was defined by Brut.

1970s:
    This are getting hairy here as perfume for men started to explode everywhere (including sillage and potency) : azzaro PH, Capitain Molineux, Givenchy's Gentleman, Halston Z-14, Lagerfeld, PacoR PH, Polo, Signoricci and YSL PH to name a few.
    In this era of excess and brazen silky pungent new frontiers, I think Halston Z-14 won on both being masculine yet at the same time being faithful to what the 70s had to offer in a scented way.

i will continue in another post!

cheers

^^^^ Ah yes, Brut. Very big in 60s for sure.

In my lifetime nothing has consistently represented masculinity to me more than that early 1970s invention, the aromatic fougère, specifically Paco Rabanne pour Homme & Azzaro pour Homme. I think the entire concept of a definable masculinity went to the wind in the diverse/schizophrenic/random 80s, perhaps the sexually ambiguous Antaeus defined the new masculinity of that era. The late 80s - early 90s were real tough years for me to enjoy, Cool Water, Aqua di Gio, water, water everywhere! I stopped wearing fragrance at that point. Then Serge Lutens and Commes des Garçons started to shake things up and it got interesting again.
    I have no idea what masculinity means these days, but incense notes seem to have reached iconic status in masculines.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 8th August 2010 at 05:39 PM.

1950's

1960's

+"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

1980's

+"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

1990's

double post
    Last edited by Rosehavn; 8th August 2010 at 01:19 AM.

1940s: Moustache
    1950s: Pino Silvestre
    1960s: Brut or Jade East
    1970s: Paco Rabanne PH
    1980s: Quorum
    1990s: Safari For Men
    2000s: Rive Gauche PH

Picking just one for the 70s and 80s was hard, since those were the golden years of the big powerhouse style macho frags.

Runners up are:

1960s: Aramis
    1970s: Azzaro PH, Ho Hang, Grey Flannel
    1980s: Kouros, Parfum d'Habit, Davidoff
    1990s: Havana
    Last edited by shamu1; 8th August 2010 at 02:18 AM.

the last part of my post:

1980s:
    If i thought the 70s were loud, i didn't know what was about to come our way: antaeus, armani PH, fahrenheit, fendi uomo, bijan FM, cool water, giorgio FM, drakkar noir, jazz, kouros, patou PH, sybaris, tuscany, ricci club, eternity FM, obsession FM, worth PH..and a loooong etc!
    If i didn't know better i'd say that both cool water and eternity FM were both hailing from the 90s, as they seem to be more at easy with the laid back attitude of that decade..
    but this decade was all about money, loudness, strong stance, and well, a little bit of tackiness, so, i think the real winner that embodied the decade in a masculine 80s way would be Drakkar Noir.

1990s:
    This decade maked a very different beat for masculine scents and most of it was due to the major coup by CK with its CKOne, which catered to both men and women and became an icon in the scent world and the first huge global best-seller...it felt there wasn't a person in 1995 that wasn't wearing CKOne...
    This decade gave us the beloved by Bnoters AdG, 212 FM, animale FM, balenciaga PH, boucheron PH, azzaro's chrome, erolfa, escape FM, D&G PH, égoïste, gillette pacific blue, insensé and horizon to name a lucky few that stood out of the lot (i'm unfairly leaving many out)...
    The winner for the embodiment of the masculine in the 90s for me, was the very tamed, cool and airy Chrome by Azzaro.

2000s:
    This decade gave us many many many scents already forgotten, more than 1500 releases for men only and that's just counting the 212 flankers.
    we have 1872 FM, Miracle homme, l'anarchiste, DKNY FM, aramis life, lalique's le faune, and a very veyr long etc.
    Now, for this decade's winners, i must say that both these scents were NOT released in the 00s but the 90s, only they became ever bigger and bigger outshining any masculine release of the decade and well, we've all seen what has happened: 212Men (and the 167890 flankers) and AdG, that's how masculinity seemed to me in the 00s.

cheers!

Point Blank

I wonder if the concept of masculinity is at all applicable for the 2000's. Seems to me that the major trend has been a turn to sweet, flowery or gourmandish unisex fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    2000s
    Windsor/Fierce
    I know Dior Homme is probably going to many others pick. I'm not sure. It's not feminine, but I don't know I'd confer "masculine" pick of the decade on it...There are a ton of frags launched since 2000. Want to see where others weigh in with this.
    The Axe body sprays perhaps? I think their advertising convinced many that their scents would drive women wild.

80's
    Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Davidoff Cool Water
    YSL Kouros

90's
    JPG Le Male
    D&G ph
    Armani AdG
    Issey Myake l'Eau d'Issey ph

00's
    Armani Code
    Terre d'Hermes

what defines masculinity? the best masculine frag?

1950's- Old Spice
    1960's - Brut
    1970's - Polo
    1980's - Kouros / Paco Robanne / Drakkar Noir
    1990's - Acqua di Gio
    2000's- Rive Gauche ph

Note: until the 1990's the idea of "the best" had supporters, but as popular culture began the post modernist evolutions (1990's +) of dematerialization > decontruction > here/now, then the concept of "best" becomes a very individual and momentary choice. I do not believe there is such a thing as the best of a personal choice item like fragrance any longer. There is only the best for right now.

DeepSilence

I don't remember very good.
    1980's: One Man Show
    1990's: Cool Water