Code of Conduct

Default Any love for SL Un Bois Vanille?

I got a sample of this in an ebay auction a couple of weeks ago, and my sample's almost gone already. There's something about this scent that keeps me going back to it. I've read BN reviews and threads about this scent, as well as other sites' reviews, but there's not much recent posting.

What are your thoughts? Positive and negative, please. I'm trying to decide if I want to make this a permanent relationship.
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Default Re: Any love for SL Un Bois Vanille?

I have a bit left in a small decant but I love it. Much more affordable than Guerlain SDV, and I think I like the Lutens more, actually. Maybe get a decant or split somewhere before committing to a full bottle, but it's really nice stuff. Then again, I'm a fan of more of Serge's work than many are.

I love it. Definitely a less is more scent, for me, but the way it blends itself with my own chemistry always yields swoon worthy results, according to my SO and several other people.

I will add my name to the list of those who adore Un Bois Vanille. I am picky when it comes to gourmand scents and some vanilla themed fragrances are too sweet toothy for me, but this one is a keeper.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I also like this one!

It's not as sweet and soft as most vanilla fragrances, having a bracing, slightly bitter dark caramel element which balances the sweetness.

I love it! Bought it right away when it was launched. I like it most on a very cold weather, it makes me feel all cosy & snuggly.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

One of the first SL scents I tried, and it was love at first sniff! I wear vanillas any season, but I prefer this one for winter. Not similar, but it reminds me a bit of Vanille Exquise (Goutal), only I find UBV more dense & thick (in a good way).
    There is also a licorice note in it that gives it a special edge, and enhances the snuggliness. It´s not a vanilla-licorice concoction, though - didn´t know it was licorice until I looked up the notes.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I also like this one!

It's not as sweet and soft as most vanilla fragrances, having a bracing, slightly bitter dark caramel element which balances the sweetness.
    Most definitely!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I was also surprised to see licorice as a note. I didn't get it at all - which is good, because I'm not a licorice fan.

I think it's that smokiness, the kind of burnt sugar thing that I really like.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I also like this one!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Most definitely!
    Chiming in with total agreement!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

summer means fireflys

Quote Originally Posted by coopmom View Post
    I was also surprised to see licorice as a note. I didn't get it at all - which is good, because I'm not a licorice fan.

I think it's that smokiness, the kind of burnt sugar thing that I really like.
    My impressions as well. I have had this on my lust list for a long time. I went through a decant, have put it in my shopping cart several times at several perfume sites, but never pulled the trigger. I WILL own a FB of this someday!

Loved it! Went through a full bottle already! Nowadays I've moved on to the likes of Havana Vanille & Bois d'Armenie but would certainly return to Un Bois Vanille - without question!

I dislike this one...and i'm a big big SL fan...
    For me this smell cheap vanilia odor that would perfume toilet...

Although I don`t love Un Bois Vanille, I disagree that it smells like cheap vanilla, which is very sugary. Un Bois Vanille, while sweet, doesn`t go in this direction. Un Bois Vanille is a complex sweet, boozy, roasted aroma. I cannot feel de black licorice, that aroma seems lost on my skin. Although, the coconut aroma is the strongest one on me. It`s kind of a nutty, roasted, boozy coconut. My mom told me, after I sprayed Un Bois Vanille, that I was smelling like a coconut candy - and in fact is what seems to go on me from the beginning to the end. At first, I detect this boozy nutty coconut, then I feel shy touches of sandalwood. During the evolution, Un Bois Vanille seems to lost part of the boozy coconut to go in a creamy restrained vanilla direction, suported by the resinous benjoim aroma. What really makes me doesn`t love it so much is that you need the perfect cold day to see the proper beauty of this fragrance. I`ve noticed that on some days this frag loses the balance and goes on an opressive benjoim direction, while in other days the coconut dominantes and give a sickening aroma on me.

My favorite vanilla fragrance. It walks a fine line between gourmand and oriental. It is "comfort food" for the soul.

Thank you all for your thoughts and impressions. I tried it again last night, and it's official. I'm going to buy a bottle some way or another. Rickbr, even in the heat for me it's wonderful.

I go back and forth on this one. I really like the complexity of it, but sometimes the coconut is overwhelming to me.