Code of Conduct

Thumbs up New: Acqua Di Parma Colonia Essenza...

Did a search and didn't find anything yet.
    Apparently it will ship on the 20th....

Notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin, Orange, Grapefruit, Petit grain, Neroli, Rosemary, Clove, Lilly of the Valley, Rose Accord, Jasmine Accord, Patchouli, Vetiver, White Musk, Amber

Replacing English Lavender (old/soapy) and Ylang Ylang (powdery sweet), with a much more contemporary Lily of the Valley (fresh watery floral) and Clove (spicy sweet) is a great move imo. Not so sure about eliminating Sandalwood or replacing Vervain(verbena) with Grapefruit though......

...Still very exited to smell this one, as it eliminates the two notes I've always didn't favor in the original Acqua Di Parma Colonia, and keep the rest of the notes I love in it.

I think I like the packaging as much as the limited edition prestige bottle I got:

Default Re: New: Acqua Di Parma Colonia Essenza...

Thanks for reporting this, dullah.

As you probably know, I love Acqua di Parma Colonia and will certainly look forward to trying this one.

I hope I love it as much, too.

My only "fear" is if the clove note were to be dominant. I have learned to enjoy clove, but in this mix of notes, would prefer it to be in the background. Just my instincts. I potentially like the lily of the valley and the grapefruit notes.

Opinions?
    Has anyone tried the new Essenza?
    Or am I in the search-results-twilight-zone and it's already been discussed? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Thanks for reporting this, dullah.

As you probably know, I love Acqua di Parma Colonia and will certainly look forward to trying this one.

I hope I love it as much, too.

My only "fear" is if the clove note were to be dominant. I have learned to enjoy clove, but in this mix of notes, would prefer it to be in the background. Just my instincts. I potentially like the lily of the valley and the grapefruit notes.
    Yes, I'd hope the clove plays just the right background role, maybe about the same level as the role it plays in Selection verte or a little more than it's presence in Truefitt's West Indian Limes. No more.

The lily in the valley I'm hoping is not too Cool-Waterish. But plenty fresh as it always is.

I cannot find reviews anywhere and I just went through the entire internet cover to cover - took me almost a month ;')
    One reviewer did say it had a lot in common with AdP Collezione Barbiere.

Wow
    I am really impressed with most of the Aqua Di Colonia line, and this looks like a winner
    would like to hear more / sample this as well!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Interesting news, DULLAH. I too hope the clove is in the background. A little goes a long way, for me.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Is this in Nieman Marcus/Sephora/Bergdorf brick & Mortars yet?

I simply cannot wait to test it, as all their products to this point have been so classy, even the ones I didn't like much have been very well done.

I for one, hope the strongest notes are still the same Lemon, Rosemary, Neroli, and Bulgarian Rose found in the original.....just a change in the periphery would be great.....also just noticed they replaced the seville Orange with Mandarine.....if it's got a taste of that synthetic Mandarine featured in Guerlain's Mandarine Basilic i will be ecstatic.

I'm a big fan of AdP fragrances too. Thanks for the update.

I saw a pre-release review and just went back to try and find it . . . no luck. Sounded promising - more true to the original and 'an evening' take on Colonia were comments I remember.

I hope it's third time lucky with this one because after 15 years or so wearing Colonia I found Assoluta understandable, at best, and Intensa just plain unnecessary - maybe under another name, but as a an extension of such a classic it did not compute for me.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 9th August 2010 at 03:51 AM.

For Canadian Acqua Di Parma lovers, Holt Renfrew has a tester bottle(not available for sale yet.)

Waiting on reports as well.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    I cannot find reviews anywhere and I just went through the entire internet cover to cover - took me almost a month ;')
    One reviewer did say it had a lot in common with AdP Collezione Barbiere.

Can I reply to my own quote ;')
    Does anyone who owns it - know how AdP Collezione Barbiere differs from Colonia?
    Last edited by neal; 9th August 2010 at 09:08 PM.

NK in Stockholm has got it... I tried it but to no use - I have got a terrible cold and couldn´t sense any smell at all.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

This is one I'm looking to try.....I have been a Big AdP fan for a long time now.....I am really looking forward to this scent.....If it's as good as the rest it will be a winner!!!
    And by the way.....The Bottle and Box Rock!!!
    Gary

Wait, is AdP carried at Sephoras? I didn't know that. This sounds great by the way, and I too hope the clove is a bit player.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Wait, is AdP carried at Sephoras? .
    I did a double take at that line too. They certainly don't carry AdP at my local Sephora. I wish.

And the last time I went in there, the men's section had been cut in half. I imagine sales haven't been very high for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Wait, is AdP carried at Sephoras? I didn't know that. This sounds great by the way, and I too hope the clove is a bit player.
    Only online

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Only online
    No, I'm nearly certain I've seen Acqua Di Parma Colonia testers at mulitple Chicagoland Sephoras prior. And I know they all carry the feminine AdP's.

Nieman Marcus on Michigan ave. has their tester out for any Chicago BN'ers.....
    ...if not, I'll have a full report on sunday....

On the edge of my seat......Will be at the Dallas NorthPark Neiman Marcus Next Friday Aug. 20 . Can't wait to try it!

This was reassuring to see so many sources citing this from a press release:

Quote Originally Posted by Various sources
    A vibrant and distinctive fragrance that reinterprets and enhances the emblematic notes found in the original Eau de Cologne by Acqua di Parma.
    Some sources are listing Tangerine and Sage in addition to the notes listed above.
    Just fine by me. CANNOT WAIT !!!!!!

From http://www.examiner.com/x-55410-San-...nza-di-Colonia:

Essenza di Colonia is a warm, woody cologne designed for cooler weather.

Quote Originally Posted by various sources
    Colonia ESSENZA
    This will be the highest quality cologne from Acqua di Parma. Like the signature fragrance, it incorporates the essential values of timelessness and refinement. This new fragrance highlights the essence of the original Colonia fragrance. The more recognizable notes and accords that represent the “soul” of Colonia are boosted and enriched using the highest quality ingredients. This cent is a citrus woody creation. It infuses citrus, aromatic and floral freshness, and sensual wood.
    Again, I certainly hope this is true, and for one I hope it's not overly woody/wintery like Intensa, I assume it won't be, as 2010 has seen alot of light, summery scents in black bottles/packaging (Bleu De Chanel, Aventus, Essenza, etc.) We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by various sources
    Colonia ESSENZA will launch world wide August 13, and will be available in the USA at select specialty stores including: Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bergdorf Goodman, Barneys New York, and Sephora.com
    Guess that rules out b&m Sephoras.

This is now at Neiman Marcus in The Back Bay, Boston.

Duplicate.

I dreamed about this scent the other night.....That's how excited I am!!!
    Gary

I asked the SA, Karen who I am friendly with to describe it for me. She said that is so hard to do - which I understand, but said it has an evening vibe. Hence the Black bottle made to look like Tux.

I tried this yesterday in Dublin. I wasn't really impressed, but it's pleasant enough. I can't recall much about it other than the lavender note. It seemed rather fleeting too. I'll try it again tomorrow and give it more attention I think!

Blog Entries

My Neimans looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked if they had it yet a week or so ago...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I tried this yesterday in Dublin. I wasn't really impressed, but it's pleasant enough. I can't recall much about it other than the lavender note. It seemed rather fleeting too. I'll try it again tomorrow and give it more attention I think!
    Do you own Colonia, Assoluta or Intensa?

They kept the lavender????????
    Is it the same English Lavender used in the original?
    WTF, I was hopeful after not seeing it in the notes...

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    My Neimans looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked if they had it yet a week or so ago...
    Nothing makes me resent SA's more than when they encounter a consumer who clearly knows more than they do, and instead of eagerly joining in and helping find whatever info they should've known already, they instead resentfully present an ignorant stand-off, insinuating that somehow the customer is mistaken/wrong.....in hopes of what result I'm unsure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Nothing makes me resent SA's more than when they encounter a consumer who clearly knows more than they do, and instead of eagerly joining in and helping find whatever info they should've known already, they instead resentfully present an ignorant stand-off, insinuating that somehow the customer is mistaken/wrong.....in hopes of what result I'm unsure.
    You're right. In her defence, it wasn't the specific Acqua di Parma rep who's usually there - it was just a random SA. I'd assume the Acqua di Parma guy would have known what I was talking about... That's why I hate shopping on Sundays.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Do you own Colonia, Assoluta or Intensa?
    I've owned all of those at one point of another. My favourite of those would be Intensa. It's more in the Intensa vein than Assoluta or Colonia.

Bummer Intensa is my least fave.

But then again you did not like Colonia or Assoluta as much...I did, So there is hope!

Cool; psyched to hear more as people get to try this.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Tried this today and I am having a hard time 'pegging' it. It seems as if it is a subdued version of Intensa, yet with a verrrrry subtle powdery feel- kind of like the austerity of Habit Rouge. There is an evening vibe to it but I cannot figure out what it is from? I just do not know if it is substantially different enough from the other three to warrant a purchase. Need more wearings first.

Tried this today and I am having a hard time 'pegging' it. It seems as if it is a subdued version of Intensa, yet with a verrrrry subtle powdery feel- kind of like the austerity of Habit Rouge. There is an evening vibe to it but I cannot figure out what it is from? I just do not know if it is substantially different enough from the other three to warrant a purchase. Need more wearings first.
    That's pretty much how I felt about it too. Definitely along the lines of Intensa, but slightly smokier and more lavender. It certainly doesn't have the sharp citrus notes of Colonia and Assoluta.

That's pretty much how I felt about it too. Definitely along the lines of Intensa, but slightly smokier and more lavender. It certainly doesn't have the sharp citrus notes of Colonia and Assoluta.
    Agreed. It reminds me of the cologne version of a CD by Dave Holland, Conference of the birds - has a twilight feel to it.

Wow, sounds like I'll hate this one. It's a lavender bomb but they don't list lavender?

A subdued version of Intensa???
    Now that is worrying. Pass.

http://www.examiner.com/fragrance-in...nza-di-colonia

How does this even qualify as a review?

Let's simply list the top, mid and base notes by prefacing each with a sentence such as...

Acqua di Parma Essenza di Colonia starts off with a (insert top notes here)
    After about thirty minutes the heart of the fragrance takes over and the scent of (insert mid notes here)
    At the end of the day, Acqua di Parma Essenza di Colonia will leave you with (insert base notes here)

C'mon Cathy! My 6 year old niece can do better.

Cathy O'Brien
    San Jose Fragrance Examiner
    Last edited by neal; 15th August 2010 at 01:22 AM.

I have lost interest in this one, per the descriptions.

I am surprised this thread has gone dormant.

I did test this yesterday. (Just because I said I lost my interest, doesn't mean I lost all my interest). To me, its character is more similar to Assoluta than Intensa. The grapefruit note comes through clearly. And it seems woody, irrespective of the published notes.

Finally tested it:

Topnotes are a near dead ringer for the original Colonia, and after a few minutes, it opens up into a scent that is literally 80% identical to Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre. The other 20% is some original colonia and some 90's scent like a Perry Ellis or Swiss Army or something. But the green-tonic/soapy-vetiver note from Domiguez is the star of the scent, no question.

But essentially it's Colonia with the powdery notes gone, most of the bulgarian rose gone (unfortuneately), and a HUGE helping of Domiguez Vetiver Hombre...

...won't be buying it.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post

...won't be buying it.
    Neither will I. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't see anything special about it that would make me want to purchase it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

As with Colonia and Assoluta, this one ends up smelling way too much like some sort of industrial cleaning product for my liking.

Got a sample from Nordstrom's when I was there yesterday. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but the bottle is pretty cool. The sample is like a little exact replica of the full sized offering!
    WTB: EMPTY A*Men Metal Refillable Flask

I sampled this last night. While the other Colonia's focused more on the citrus & rose, to me this one was more about fine soap. This is closer in vibe to Prada Amber or Puro Lino than the other Colonia's, imo. It's nice, but I haven't decided if it's bottle worthy or not. I'm leaning towards no...

I sampled Essenza yesterday. I own Intensa and love it precisely because it's the angsty 'black sheep' of the family. Essenza seems like the sibling with no clear identity to me. It's definitely got citrus up front, but with none of the panache of Colonia or Assoluta. The clean patchouli-white musk base note is indeed woody, but lacking the leather and incense that give Intensa its surprising depth. It's quite pretty -- pleasantly soapy florals, very soft and warm musk -- and just as refined as the other three, but nowhere near as characterful. I also think the clove note, albeit quiet, was giving me a headache.

I think it's worth another try, but not sure yet if that bitchin' bottle is worth the money.

I tried this recently during a visit to Philly, and I *loved* it. But I've also been on an orange blossom/neroli kick, and this has loads of the latter. It reminds me of a great old-fashioned barbershop soap, with echoes of the original Neutrogena. (Is there sandalwood in there?) I kept getting whiffs of it afterward, and it cheered me up. I'm at least getting a decant.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Essenza di Colonia is a warm, woody cologne designed for cooler weather.
    Oh good. I'll have a 1 week window to wear it in LA....

Last week I caved and bought a bottle. The juice was nice enough - citrusy up top, great for continued warmth in the Midwest, and the bottle IS pretty cool. I wore it for a day or so and realized that it just isn't that big a deal. Colonia (which I already have) is a bit more unique, and there are so many others in this genre that I think are better.

Returned my bottle to Neiman's today.

I just revisited this again, and I do appreciate the fact that a large portion of the original colonia (citruses, verbena, rose, tonka, musk) is very intact in this flanker. I also greatly appreciate the lack of "old powdery" notes, that were my biggest critique of the original colonia. I still very much dislike the vetiver note and other green notes Essenza shares with Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre, as they don't seem to mesh well with the rest of the composition to me.......and for my first 5 tests of Essenza, I never even let the card dry for more than 3-4 days before throwing it out, dissapointed the synthetic Vetiver was so strong that it drowned out the rose/tonka I love so much in the original. But after letting the heavily sprayed card dry a week, the final drydown of pink rose, unisex floral musks, and tonka bean is awesome in essenza. man i can't get enough of this sweet rose drydown, I just wish the heart had less synthetic vetiver, and I wish the top had even more citrus.

Perhaps another more summery flanker, featuring all the same elements that Essenza shared with the Original Colonia, only with more Citrus, perhaps even more of the unisex floral notes, Rose, tonka, and unisex musk, is in the works....? *crosses fingers*
    Last edited by DULLAH; 5th January 2011 at 08:40 PM.