Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Cold Weather advantage?

I'm curious, do those of us who live in cold weather climes have an advantage over those in more temperate climes? I could not imagine wearing 2/3 of my wardrobe in high heat and humidity (the Body Kouros', the Mazzolari Lui's, the Santos', the Londons, the Ambre Sultans, the Tobacco Vanille's - well you get the point) I think we have so much more to choose from and appreciate on those 20 degree, 50 degree fahrenheit days. Go Boston. Brrrr!
    Last edited by neal; 9th August 2010 at 12:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cold Weather advantage?

Yes - a continental or colder maritime climate is great for those who love the heavy-hitting frags, isn't it? While I enjoy powerhouse frags in the heat.... radiating heavy fragrance 10 feet away.... I generally do so when I'm by myself at home!

Sur la Plage

Don't knock it until you try it. Many "heavier" fragrances bloom nicely and are great in warmer temperatures.

I personally would rather wear Body Kouros in 75 degree weather in January in Florida, then be wearing the same fragrance in 7 degree weather in the Arctic Tundra while shoveling my car out from the snow. Who's going to be able to smell the fragrance under the 5 layers of heavy clothing?
    Last edited by petruccijc; 9th August 2010 at 12:58 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Smile Re: Cold Weather advantage?

Ah, but once you get the car shoveled out and your on the ice at Rockefeller Center, all bundled up in your Nordic fishermans sweater with the faint scent of fill-in-the-blank-with-your-favourite-cold-weather-scent mysteriously wafting the air...

I live in Singapore and i definitely enjoy my scents much more in my 50 degree office than the balmy 90 outside. One gets to appreciate the different layers better as opposed to the meltdown under extreme heat n humidity!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    ...then be wearing the same fragrance in 7 degree weather in the Arctic Tundra while shoveling my car out from the snow. Who's going to be able to smell the fragrance under the 5 layers of heavy clothing?
    Really! When it's so cold that the snow and ice simply don't melt, and the air is is bitterly cold, everything outside smells like COLD AIR.

It sucks.

But I have to say that it's nice to sit inside by the fire wearing those powerful fragrances, and they project just enough to get compliments.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Really! When it's so cold that the snow and ice simply don't melt, and the air is is bitterly cold, everything outside smells like COLD AIR.

It sucks.

But I have to say that it's nice to sit inside by the fire wearing those powerful fragrances, and they project just enough to get compliments.
    I kind of like the way fragrances smell as I am sipping margaritas on the lanai. I'll think of you next January when I am having some.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Don't knock it until you try it. Many "heavier" fragrances bloom nicely and are great in warmer temperatures. I personally would rather wear Body Kouros in 75 degree weather in January in Florida, then be wearing the same fragrance in 7 degree weather in the Arctic Tundra while shoveling my car out from the snow. Who's going to be able to smell the fragrance under the 5 layers of heavy clothing?

We get snow plowed out, not shovels or heavy lifting required!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    We get snow plowed out, not shovels or heavy lifting required!
    I was born and raised in the Northeast. It's why I live in Florida now.

Where I live 20 degrees is considered a heatwave....!

Quote Originally Posted by qoo77 View Post
    One gets to appreciate the different layers better as opposed to the meltdown under extreme heat n humidity!
    I tend to agree with you.

I rather enjoy Michigan. It's pretty chilly in the winter, but fragrances like Brit and Fleur du Male just shine in the cooler temps. If a fragrance is too powdery, it'll bug my nose in the heat.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

I live in a temperate climate. Winters are cold, summers can be quite hot, autumn I love the most but when it's not rainy - temperatures are in range of +8 to + 18 celsius degrees. spring is the uvertire for summer, but it is tricky - the nights are cold but the days are warm, not hot though (to us hot is everything that exceedes +25 Celsius and cold anything that drops below +5 degrees celsius). Spring and autumn is the time when I can utilize my collection best.

IMO you do have an advantage. In the high heat and humidity of New Orleans L' air du desert Marocain just isn't gonna work for me! In the Fall and Winter it is its' absolutely beautiful best! As I say often, there are a couple of "year rounders" for me, Aramis and the wonderfully dry Yatagan. Wearable anytime.

Yes, I think its an advantage in the narrow scope of fragrance enjoyment. 55 - 80 degrees with lower air pressure and higher humidity from an impending storm is awesome "frag weather". The lower air pressure makes those molecules really pop and shoot all over the place.

Give me "cold" weather fragrances over a citrus or green fragrance any day. I don't bothering wearing "summer" colognes, I just spray less "winter" colognes during the heat usually. Think of it this way, a typical day in 90 degree weather involves waking up in your air conditioned home, driving to work in your air conditioned vehicle, working in your air conditioned office, and maybe going to eat at an air conditioned restaurant. Most days don't involve much time outdoors for the average person, so there's no need to worry a great deal about spraying too much.