Code of Conduct

Default A-Men Plus X Equals...

What would the resulting fragrance be like if a perfumer took A-men and diluted it with malt whiskey? BNers with biochemistry backgrounds would we get A-Men Pure Malt? Other Bners respond as well if you would like.
    Last edited by Rosehavn; 9th August 2010 at 03:16 AM.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Default Re: A-Men Plus X Equals...

It's kinda funny you should say that..
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Okay, I'll bite ... Pure Malt.

Blog Entries

(A*Men + Un Parfum de Charmes et Feuilles + Ambre Precieux) / 6 = Oriental Lounge

(sort of....)

Blog Entries

A*men + Le Male = horrible

No, I was serious. Has anyone tried it? I was wondering if someone with a biochemistry background would enlighten us. Would A-Men diluted with pure malt whiskey make A-Men Pure Malt, something similar, or something completely different and awful smelling?
    Last edited by Rosehavn; 9th August 2010 at 03:16 AM.
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Blog Entries

I dont have a background but no, it would not. Alcohol used in perfumery is different than beverage, they would not combine as far as i know. the main issue i see is that alcohol is simply not oil. Fragrances are based totally around the oils. The reason Pure Malt is what it is, is because it was aged in a cask, allowing it to more or less "absorb" the malt-ness. Notice how theres no coffee? Thats because by being a top note of a*men, it dissapated over time in the cask, and got replaced by the boozy note.

This is my own theory, it may be way wrong

Not entirely true Neuro . . . . quite a few people (me included) use grain alcohol to dilute / melt (if you will) fragrance concretes and heavily concentrated essences. Those dilutions mixed with a retail frag to enhance a particular note does - in fact - work. It's a matter of trial and error + giving sufficient time for the two to marinate together.

To answer Rosehaven's question - it is doubtful the mix you brought up would equal pure malt - it would = SOMETHING though, why not give it a try and report back. Maybe burning the alcohol off and using the reduction, as long as it wasn't burned, would be better but I'm just shooting in the dark here. Would be interesting though just to see the monster it created.
    Last edited by SoGent; 9th August 2010 at 05:08 AM.

Hmmm, I don't have any whiskey...Does anyone have some whiskey?

um...

Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    Hmmm, I don't have any whiskey...Does anyone have some whiskey?
    I have whisky. I would not wear it on my skin, mixed with anything.

Maybe for your purposes, you should drink a bunch of Laphroaig the night before wearing A*Men on a hot day.