Code of Conduct

Default Does anyone else find Eau Sauvage temperamental?

A couple of times it's turned a bit rancid on my skin. Both times it was after running and showering, so it may be something to do with sweaty skin amplifying certain aspects of the frag. Has anyone else had this experience?
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Default Re: Does anyone else find Eau Sauvage temperamental?

Ok, I am trying to break the ice because of the immense love and respect for Eau Sauvage, which happens to be one of my fave frags. This scent is truly versatile and way ahead of its time, since, though very linear at first, not too potent (at least to my nose, more of a skin scent) and conservative up to point of formality, it does have wonderful and surprising development over the day, which I can only confirm. Indeed, be it thanks to skin chemistry, atmospheric conditions or any other factors, the more I wear Eau Sauvage, I find that, over several hours, it ceases to be linear or too formal and becomes something highly creative and evolutive, exuding the warmth, the stimulating energy and the versatile richness of spicy, masculine floral and oily (in a comforting, aroma-therapeutic sort of way) astringent citrus

Fair enough. Most of the time it's wonderful on my skin, and it's one of my favourites. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same experience of it turning a bit funky.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

I think the funkiness you perceive may indeed be the indolic quality of the jasmine but I don't know about "rancid."
    ES is one of the few fragrances I have that is very responsive to my skin temperature and this amazes me every time I wear it. I wouldn't call that temperamental though.

Yeah I had that experience with it once. When mixed with sweat and hot steamy body exertion, it seemed that all the animalics and spices in Eau Sauvage accelerated and multiplied giving it an almost acrid scent. It is still a great scent, but maybe not the best for a hot steamy work day.

Yes, I do find Eau Sauvage temperamental, as much as I respect it. It turns rather sour - Buzzlepuff, acrid is a good word - on me sometimes. Other times it is near perfect. I don't think it's the indolic jasmine. In fact, I rather enjoy the jasmine, what little of it I get.

If you find the original temperamental or hard to warm up to, try to Fraicheur Cuir version. It's a little smoother and sweeter, with very similar (wonderful) topnotes.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I love Eau Sauvage. I don't find it to be temperamental at all, and in fact on my skin I find it to be fairly linear. I've seen lots of comments about ES having a funk to it, even a touch of animalic civet (!), but I just don't get any of that on my skin. One reason I've been wearing ES is for its consistency and reliability. It always smells the same on my skin, and always smells dry and discreet.

My only gripe about Eau Sauvage is its terrible longevity. Longevity is rarely a problem with my skin, but Eau Sauvage won't last more than an hour or two for me. I've gone through like 6 or 7 full bottles of it, and I've never seen any improvement on this.

It does have a good dose of vetiver in the base which can come out more in hot weather.
    -