Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Carnal Flower: Help Me Love It!

Carnal Flower should be my dream scent. For several years I've been looking for a tuberose and/or gardenia that has a freshness to it, and CF certainly does fit that bill. But it seems to disappear nearly as soon as it hits my skin and has no sillage. Is this the dreaded olfactory fatigue? Why can't I throw myself behind this so well-reviewed creation? I should be grateful, given the price- but I feel like a dope for not "getting" it. Do any of you guys wear this or have some feedback? BTW please don't get all nichey on me. Niche is virtually impossible to find here in Chicago except for Malle and 1 or 2 others at Barney's...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Carnal Flower: Help Me Love It!

Carnal Flower is ok, but IMO Fracas is an awesome tuberose!

Must be the fatigue you mentioned. I can't find another reason for this anomaly. CF stays on for hours and projects beautifully.
    Sad how some scents get locked for us the wearers. You can keep on sniffing coffee beans to clear out some of the habituation to the notes. I love tuberose and CF is my number one tuberose scent. Try the Caron's. You might have them somewhere in your state.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what to say...sorry you have trouble with it. I wanted to love Musc Ravageur, but after opening notes, it disappeared on me. At least to my nose. Hard to say why that might be.

Thing is, my sense is that all the Malle's are potent stuff. Vetiver Extraordinaire is the strongest vetiver I've run into. Noir Epices! Don't get me started! Only frag I've EVER tried that lasted through a day and a shower next AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Carnal Flower is by no means a weak fragrance. To the OP, do you by any chance have a habit of applying fragrance to the neck? In my experience this is the fastest way of hitting that dreaded 'olfactory fatigue'. Try applying to the chest and the insides of the wrists/elbows and see if you still run into this problem. Alternatively just ask the people around you if they could smell your fragrance.

Carnal Flower is the mama of tuberose , huge sillage , deep dense and intimate . Beyond Love from By Kilian is also an amazing tuberose , in a similar vein but more green and fruity I think

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I think it has great sillage and longevity - it's one of my favorites!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have a FB of Carnal Flower and I encounter the same problem every time I wear it. It is unbelievably tenacious and has HUGE sillage, but because of that, it tends to cause olfactory fatigue. I wore it once and about ten hours later out in the sun, my brother commented on how I reeked of CF; and I couldn't smell a thing! Try applying to your chest or behind your neck.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a minor point, but Chicago is surely one of the top half-dozen cities in the USA in terms of access to niche fragrance lines...

Anyway, I'm sure you have access to the L'Artisan Parfumeur line, so in case you keep trying with Carnal Flower and it never ends up satisfying you, I'll put in a good word for Nuit de Tubereuse. It has the freshness you're seeking, and even though it's less potent than CF, it may perform better for you.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Post Thanks / Like

@PaulSC- You must be finding niche well off the beaten path, with a few exceptions to be found at Barney's. I'd love to know where you're finding it in Chitown. I'd really like to get to know Beyond Love By Kilian if you know of some place that carries the line. Thanks to you and everyone else for the feedback. If anyone has something more to add please do so!

Post Thanks / Like

blondex, click the link in my previous post for an overview of Chicago fragrance-shopping options. I believe Neiman Marcus Saks on the mag mile carries By Killian.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 9th August 2010 at 09:07 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

If it helps, I had the same experience when Ifirst tried Carnal Flower- I was expecting a huge hit of tuberose ,first thing . But the thing is, Carnal Flower 'builds' up on you, opens up and it's a abit sneaky ,IHMO. It is huge sillage monster and very tenacious actually. Now I don't know how I could ever have found CF weak at all ! *LOL* 2 sprays is plenty .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

If Carnal Flower is not enough for you, try Scandal by Roja Dove. I got a very generous Extrait (note: not EdP ) sample and one shy and cautious (me and tuberose) spritz on my wrist and I filled the room and the adjacent one, I guess ...

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think about Carnal Flower v. Beyond Love?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Beyond Love is a pure tuberose soliflore. It's excellent - begins slightly cool ( closer in opening notes to Tubereuse Criminelle IMHO ) and then it hums along as mighty tuberose for a long time. Carnal Flower is fresher and Beyond Love can get cheesy if you overspray.Less sweet than Carnal Flower but a beauty in its own right. Beyond Love has good longevity and good sillage -it's thick tuberose. I love Carnal Flower for the florist fresh beginning. Beyond Love has a hint of coconut in it but not discernible really. Beyond Love is another where 2 sprays is plenty .
    Both have their own characters and their own takes on tuberose. Both are excellent tuberose scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Beyond Love is a pure tuberose soliflore. It's excellent - begins slightly cool ( closer in opening notes to Tubereuse Criminelle IMHO ) and then it hums along as mighty tuberose for a long time. Carnal Flower is fresher and Beyond Love can get cheesy if you overspray.Less sweet than Carnal Flower but a beauty in its own right. Beyond Love has good longevity and good sillage -it's thick tuberose. I love Carnal Flower for the florist fresh beginning. Beyond Love has a hint of coconut in it but not discernible really. Beyond Love is another where 2 sprays is plenty .
    Both have their own characters and their own takes on tuberose. Both are excellent tuberose scents.
    I agree with most of your account of the differences between the two, and would love to add that Beyond Love is not a breakthrough in tuberose frags. Maybe because it's a soliflore after all. It's very very well made and has that angelic edge it to that Kilian loves to impart on his creations. It's a beautiful fragrance. Unlike the dark Fracas, BL has some rays of joy streaking it. I smell a bit of sambac jasmine in it, which makes it somewhere between Olene and Do Son (both by Diptyque). Carnal Flower has coconut in it as well and a bit cumin.
    It is perfection and divinity entwined. There is that sunshine that happens right after a torrential rain in it. When the clouds begin to disperse to reveal a strikingly blue sky, while the air is still charged with a crisp chill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    It is perfection and divinity entwined.
    Ooh, that sounds like too much; I draw the line at perfection.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    I agree with most of your account of the differences between the two, and would love to add that Beyond Love is not a breakthrough in tuberose frags. Maybe because it's a soliflore after all. It's very very well made and has that angelic edge it to that Kilian loves to impart on his creations. It's a beautiful fragrance. Unlike the dark Fracas, BL has some rays of joy streaking it. I smell a bit of sambac jasmine in it, which makes it somewhere between Olene and Do Son (both by Diptyque). Carnal Flower has coconut in it as well and a bit cumin.
    It is perfection and divinity entwined. There is that sunshine that happens right after a torrential rain in it. When the clouds begin to disperse to reveal a strikingly blue sky, while the air is still charged with a crisp chill.
    I agree with you. Beyond Love is wonderful ,isn't it ? Luca Turin said it's the best tuberose soliflore out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I have same problem with Carnal Flower -- I love it, and spray generously (forearms) but have to keep reapplying to smell it. So far no one has mentioned that I'm wearing too much... my DH would tell me if I were, I think, but next time I'll ask to make sure. (I do have dry skin and have longevity problems with a number of scents.)

I love Carnal Flower...but I have to say that on me it is one of the longest lasting fragrances I have. Its like the fragrant equivilent of writing on yourself with a permanent marker!

Regards,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjas1962 View Post
    I love Carnal Flower...but I have to say that on me it is one of the longest lasting fragrances I have. Its like the fragrant equivilent of writing on yourself with a permanent marker!
    Carnal Sharpie...
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this scent, but it sometimes happens I get bored by it, because I wear it every day. I sometimes spray it only in the neck and i'm certain people can smell it on me the whole day, because I can smell it also. But it's true that sometimes during the day i forget that i'm wearing it because I'm busy with other things and I get used to the smell. By that I mean it's so delicate it's a bit of a waste to wear it everyday.

This scent is also worn by Catherine Deneuve. I always thought it was an interesting fact, if you didn't already know.
    Last edited by Gregory; 8th August 2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo's

Carnal Flower is a great scent , but it's not for everyone IMO.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Carnal Flower - this will be one of my loves till the end of my life.Wonderful stuff ! *sigh *
    If I ever see Frederic Malle in person - I will tell him that.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Carnal Flower is a great scent , but it's not for everyone IMO.
    I'm one of those everyone...not meaning I don't like it, I think it's a great frag, just not for me somehow. I have a sample that I've tried a few times and I like it the first 30 min, then I don't like it so much...and boy does it last on my skin. All the same, it's a great frag...for someone else to wear and for me to smell here and there.

I love the smell, but couldn't really wear it - too feminine IMO. I would like to find something to layer it with to make it a little more unisex.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    4. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    5. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    6. Dior - Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    10. Creed - Royal English Leather

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Carnal Flower: Help Me Love It!

Quote Originally Posted by ANGIESDOEBOY View Post
    Carnal Flower is ok, but IMO Fracas is an awesome tuberose!
    + 1 about FRACAS.

About Carnal Flower, I think that it is olfactory fatigue. CF lasts on me all the day and it is very noticeable. Stop sniffing it during some days try it again.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Carnal Flower - this will be one of my loves till the end of my life.Wonderful stuff ! *sigh *
    If I ever see Frederic Malle in person - I will tell him that.
    This is exactly how I feel, too