Code of Conduct

Default Anyone still having issues connecting to the Server?

Seems to still be happening quite a bit the last few months. Every time I go to get on the site I will get a time out or something of that nature. It may work after a couple refreshes and sometimes it won't work for hours. I saw some older posts about this but I just wanted to make a new one to find out if its still an issue with anyone else, I am guessing it is though.

Default Re: Anyone still having issues connecting to the Server?

I'm getting "Database error" problems quite often. (just less than an hour ago for instance)
    With all due respect, Basenotes is the most unreliable website I know.
    Thanks for looking into these issues.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Un profumo affettuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Jer350 View Post
    Seems to still be happening quite a bit the last few months. Every time I go to get on the site I will get a time out or something of that nature. It may work after a couple refreshes and sometimes it won't work for hours. I saw some older posts about this but I just wanted to make a new one to find out if its still an issue with anyone else, I am guessing it is though.
    The same thing you described happnes to me each and every time I log in... actually, I'm quite fed up with this ... -
    VERY annoying!

It's funny how most people tippy toe around the issue of access or I should say lack of access and their true feelings about it.

People have been mincing their words about server issues and difficulty of access for as long as I have been here, which is six years, and during which time, I might add, server issues and spotty access have been constant features of Basenotes.

So let me start by not mincing my words. This is the message I sent to Grant via email:

"It's bad enough to constantly have to struggle to get on this site and then once on to get kicked off because pages won't load, but to actually be redirected to a Volkswagen ad every time a page won't load is the ultimate insult to someone who has been patiently waiting for 6 years to see if there will at least be one week when there are no server issues. I and a lot of Basenoters are losing our patience with this random perennial chaos.

I am a member of many forums, and this is the only one that consistently has major and ongoing problems.

Is it ever going to change and what do you seriously intend to do about it instead of the same of temporary fixes that only seem to lead to more problems? Seriously, it's beyond a joke.

scentemental"

P.S. I have no way of being sure that Grant got my email because right after I sent it, and the instant the message came up that acknowledged my sending it, I was redirected to a page that had on it the same Volkswagen ad I complained of above. Every time I clicked the back button, the same ad kept reappearing. Hostage, again, to server issues. It took me 27 tries to finally get this post up.

Last edited by scentemental; 12th August 2010 at 12:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Good heavens, a Volkswagen ad? I haven't had anything like that. I can see why that would get old very fast.

For me, no redirection...just a page that won't load, mostly on the hour.

Basenotes Institution

Oh dear Scentemental ..... I don't get re directed to any advertising but still have the hourly access issue.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Cusp of the hour error for me (4:59 to 5:01), I lost many PMs and some posts due to it. Re-directing occurs once in a while, but it somehow has to do with my other on-line shopping viewing -- Spiegel most recently.

No redirects for me.

If I can give a hint of what is probably happening with all the problems since years, and with all due respect to Grant, I think the site is poorly coded. (and I know Grant admitted that in the past)
    Servers are probably overloaded due to poor coding.
    Maybe it's time for him to hire a professionnal programmer to clean up the code once for all.

Hourly shut downs should be switched off tomorrow, if all goes to plan. My apologies for the length of time it has taken, but these things need either time or money throwing at it, hence coding to 2am on a regular basis

I've no knowledge of the redirecting issue. There certainly shouldn't be anything that redirects. If anyone getting this can let me know the URL that it gets redirected to, or even better, a screen shot - I'll investigate

I get the odd unable to connect message, but it's no way near as bad as it was a few weeks ago.

Grant, whatever you did, it seems to be fixed. The on the hour connectivity problem seems to be gone. Hope I didn't jinx it, but bravo if the issue is resolved.

While the hourly server resets are gone, I am getting the intermittent Server is too busy message way more frequently than ever before. Access has gotten worse for me recently rather than better.

I like Grant's plans for improving Basenotes, and find them exciting, but I agree with scentemental. This access issue and downtime are lingering fundamental problems that have yet to be sufficiently addressed. I'm not a computer guy, but it is true that most other internet boards manage to function without these recurring problems.

If I remember correctly we didn't have these problems until the last time Basenotes changed servers. Perhaps Basenotes could move to another server? The functionality of the website has been awful since moving to the new one, and I don't understand the necessity of staying with an inferior setup.

Can we at least get a direct answer about what the server problem really is, whether it is a hardware or software issue, and when we can expect it to be resolved?

While leather seats and sun roofs are great features, it makes sense to make sure the car goes before installing all the bells and whistles. ;-)

BTW, I was unable to post this message for a while due to: The server is too busy !

Thanks.

noggs

I'm pretty much getting fed up with this issue too and have to agree with scentemental. It's been happening for months if not years. Say, I often get a PM and can't read and respond to it until some time next day in the evening. Drives me really nuts and sometimes makes me want to cancel my subscription. I don't get redirected to another site but 'server is too busy' is what I get most of the time. Very annoying if you ask me.

phibess

Thanks, Grant, fingers crossed.
    Last edited by phibess; 18th August 2010 at 07:19 PM.

I haven't had any server busy notices for a while, but it seems that some are still getting them.

It's a software issue, rather than a hardware issue, and more specifically the software that I have written. And while, recoding these will lead to better speeds, i'll admit it is taking me longer than expected, so for the short term at least, it would appear I need to throw money into beefing up the servers.

I'll speak to the hosts tomorrow (its 2.10 am here) and see what quotes they can give.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I haven't had any server busy notices for a while, but it seems that some are still getting them.
    TYpical. An hour after I post this, the server crashes

I've not had any problems since at least one week.
    Kudos to Grant, and thanks!

Basenotes Institution

Buggy today - very hard to post a review, hard to access Basenotes in general - downforeveryoneorjustme.com said Basenotes was down, 5 minutes later I was able to access the website. Strange stuff.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Very glitchy tonight.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sloooowww loading yesterday evening. Down twice and confirmed on 'downforeveryoneorjustme' checker, and also I got the 'timed out' screen several times.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

YEs it seemed to bugger up shortly after Francois posted about it being ok!

Getting there though

Hi there,

Site went "weird" around 8.10 this evening. Got disconnected from site then started to load blank screens when I tried to re-connect.

Happened last week for a couple of hours.

Please say that it is not just me.

Ho - hum

Blog Entries

Server down from late in the day on the 22 Sept. till 12:30AM 24 Sept. Unable to access, I am lost without my Basenotes fix.

It usually takes forever to load when I click on a thread or a forum. Like watching the grass grow. Sometimes I just get fed up and go elsewhere. I haven't had the cusp of the hour boot out the door for quite while now. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who experiences problems navigating the site. I was wondering if it's yet another example of my "thing" that affects electronics (dimwittedness? ). I do understand, Grant, about time & money. Do I ever.