Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: FREDERIC MALLE: Which one is the best?

Roc.Xel, do you find Carnal Flower to be a "feminine" type floral, or does it lean more unisex?

Well it is heavy on tuberose so one might think it is feminine but in my book it's totally unisex, specially thanks to its "freshness". I have no problem whatsoever wearing it and the few among my male friends who really care about fragrances would/do wear it too. It gets me tons of compliments and I never had anyone saying that it was too feminine yet while I was wearing it. So personnaly I would go with Unisex, as it is originally labelled/marketed, although that does not mean much.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Out of the FMs I have tested I think musc ravageur, french lover and vetiver are the ones that are the most male friendly, something about carnal flower is more feminine it has a perfumey type of smell to it.

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    If I had to choose one it would undoubtedly be Bigarade Concentree. Bitter oranges combine with rose and hay to produce an light, long lasting, and surprisingly sensual fragrance. You could use an entire bottle, and it wouldn't overbear. One of Jean-Claude Ellena's finest works.

Aside from BC I enjoy and own Bois d'Orage (French Lover), Carnal Flower, and Vetiver Extraordinaire. Sold my bottle of Noir Epices as I couldn't endure the vapid combination of orange, aldehydes and spices.
    I agree with the recommendation on BC. I actually bought French Lover blog and sold it here as I did not care for it. Bought BC and could not be happier.

I see you started this thread a while back so hopefully by now you've gotten to sample a few....if you haven't, I vote you do that over blind buy as well.

Reasons being that of 4 I've tried (Musc Ravaguer, Noir Epices, Geranium pour Monsieur, Biograde Concentree) I would only consider MR full bottle worthy, and even that I don't see everybody loving. Noir Epices is really nice, but I wouldn't see myself wearing all that often. The other two, didn't care for at all.

At those prices, I'd be feeling some serious buyer's remorse if I didn't absolutely love it....

Hi Force of one. I have acquired many samples from Malle line. Musc Ravageur, Noir Epices, Dan Tes Bras, French Lover, Geranium Pour Monsieur, Outrageous, Angeliques Sous La Pluie. They are all good. But the one that got me is Musc Ravageur and this is the one that I got a full bottle of. Noir Epices is quite interesting! Let's see what is next?!?! hahahaha

Cold Weather:
    1. Musc Ravageur: Spicey, dirty and slightly musky vanilla
    2. Potrait of a Lady: very fem opening, but dries down to incense, oud, and patch. The most complex of Malles I own (but also least versatile)
    3. Noir Epices: its not dark, rather radiant (like a candle glowing in the dark). Warm citrus with spices drying down to precious woods (look at Chanel Allure Pour Homme's marketing description and replace Chanel with Noir Epice - very multifaceted)

Warmer weather:
    1. VE: the best take on pure vetivier, piercing, sharp, mossy
    2/3. Bigarade Concentree: bitter/salty oranges
    2/3. Carnal Flower: very fresh and realistic take on turberose. Like the eucalyptus note here. If you can do aquatics you shouldn't find this femine
    4. Geranium PM: minty, not for everyone but I like its uniqueness. Try smelling it off other people

Mood/meloncholy scents:
    1. L'eau d'Hiver: almond, powder, floral.
    2. En Passant very ethereal/romantic fragrance. Would love it on a girl

I find POAL and Carnal Flower to be the most potent and long lasting in this collection.

Vetiver extraordinaire!!!! Of course I would say that though, lol

Musc Ravageur is the Best

Musc Ravageur - must say, even the ones I tried and didn't like still had a high quality feel to them. IMO too expensive to blind buy though!

Musc Ravageur

Musc Ravageur, French Lover, and Carnal Flower are all FBW IMHO...all are of great quality and sophistication.
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

Une Fleur de Cassie is my favourite but I like a lot from this line.

Everyone recommending Carnal Flower, I do have a sample of it, but I just couldn't see myself spending $215 for a bottle...I'm probably going to be purchasing a bottle of Bigarade Concentree tomorrow or so, unless I talk myself out of it. I pretty much love anything Jean-Claude Ellena does.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit966 View Post
    Cold Weather:
    2. Potrait of a Lady: very fem opening, but dries down to incense, oud, and patch. The most complex of Malles I own (but also least versatile)
    3. Noir Epices: its not dark, rather radiant (like a candle glowing in the dark). Warm citrus with spices drying down to precious woods (look at Chanel Allure Pour Homme's marketing description and replace Chanel with Noir Epice - very multifaceted)

Warmer weather:
    2/3. Carnal Flower: very fresh and realistic take on turberose. Like the eucalyptus note here. If you can do aquatics you shouldn't find this femine
    4. Geranium PM: minty, not for everyone but I like its uniqueness. Try smelling it off other people

Mood/meloncholy scents:

I find POAL and Carnal Flower to be the most potent and long lasting in this collection.
    Wow. What a great description. Thanks for your time . I ordered couple of FM samples (Carnal Flower, Portrait of a Lady, Noir Epices, Vetiver Extraordinaire, L Eau d Hiver, En Passant, Dans Tes Bras, En Passant, French Lover and already have Musc Ravageur) and am very very excited about getting them soon. Actually fragrances from Frederic Malle, Amouage and By Killian are only ones I am really looking forward to sample.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

My 2 faves:
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Bigarade Concentree

Noir Epices was quite unique and lovely
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Malle seems to be one of those "something for everyone, and something for every situation" sort of lines.

I really admire the notion that they started with a bunch of winners and stuck with them, rather than falling prey to the need to constantly be introducing something new.

A brand with impeccable credibility to my mind.

My one suggestion is that if you want to order something from them (even if it's just the samples they offer), *do* take the opportunity to call them on the phone at their shop in NYC, rather than just ordering online. Talking with their sales people is wonderful and atmospheric, and will become another memorable aspect of your experience with this line.
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 24th January 2013 at 06:31 AM.

Sound Scents

My favorite is Portrait of a Lady (shocker)

Runner-up is Une Fleur de Cassie

The line has a heck of a lot of excellent smelling scents in it and only a couple clunkers. Pretty consistent.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Recently went on a Frederic Malle sampling binge. To this date, I've sampled the following: Bigarade Concentrée, Bois d'Orage, Carnal Flower, Geranium Pour Monsieur, Musc Ravageur, Noir Epices, Portrait of a Lady, Une Rose, and Vetiver Extraordinaire.

I found all of them to be full bottle worthy, except Bois d'Orage and Noir Epices.

BdO smelled very similar to Spice and Wood, so I'd have to do a side by side comparison to see which one is better. I know that BdO was released first. Noir Epices was too sharp for my taste and I didn't see it as being versatile enough for me.

Overall, I'm very impressed by the Frederic Malle house. I liked VE (for myself) and POAL (for my wife) the most.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    BdO smelled very similar to Spice and Wood, so I'd have to do a side by side comparison to see which one is better.
    BdO is much, much, much greener than Spice and Wood. Sample both side by side.

En Passant, Portrait Of A Lady and Bigarade Concentre are my favorites. Portrait Of A Lady is probably the best one overall.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by navigator View Post
    Musc Ravageur is the Best
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit966 View Post
    Cold Weather:

Warmer weather:

Mood/meloncholy scents:

This was an excellent summary.

For me, my favorites are Geranium Pour Monsieur and Bois D'Orage.