Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default FREDERIC MALLE: Which one is the best?

Hello guys! I am considering getting a Frederic Malle perfume. I have never smelled any of them. So I might get a Malle through blind buy. And we all know, Frederic Malles are not that cheap so I don't want to get disappointed with my blind buy. Based on what I have read and heard about, I am actually leaning towards Musc Ravageur. I bought a sample, but it hasn't arrived yet. I can't wait. So now I am asking you people, my trusted noses. For those who have smelled Frederic Malle perfumes and for those who have Malles, which one do you think is the best this house can offer? What and how does it smell like?

Thank you in advance!

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Frederic Malle: Which one is the best?

My favorite is Noir Epices.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Frederic Malle: Which one is the best?

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    My favorite is Noir Epices.
    Hi Petruccijc, what does it smell like?

Default Re: FREDERIC MALLE: Which one is the best?

I've only tried Musc Ravageur and Noir Epices, so far. Loved MR, but NE was too aldehydic for me.

You can buy blindly any of them...
    But I would suggest to buy Frech Lover firstly..
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Basenotes Plus

Noir Epices, but I wouldn't advise buying blind.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 9th August 2010 at 10:21 AM.

These are tricky to buy blind. You'll be getting Musc Ravageur soon - no need to elaborate further. I love Une Fleur de Cassie, but this is not a manly fragrance so to say Noir Epices is definitely great (I own it too), but again, way too unconventional to buy blind. Carnal Flower is great, but not for me (Tuberose). So is Une Rose, but short-lived and a tad too green on me, unfortunately. The reviews here give a really fair picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    These are tricky to buy blind. You'll be getting Musc Ravageur soon - no need to elaborate further. I love Une Fleur de Cassie, but this is not a manly fragrance so to say Noir Epices is definitely great (I own it too), but again, way too unconventional to buy blind. Carnal Flower is great, but not for me (Tuberose). So is Une Rose, but short-lived and a tad too green on me, unfortunately. The reviews here give a really fair picture.
    Thank you for the input. The reviews sometimes can be confusing hahaha. I called Joyce shop in Queens Road in Hong Kong and asked them which ones are their best seller with Malles and the SA said, Noir Epices and Vetiver Extraordinaire. I have a lot of vetivers in my collection already.

Volley..blind buy doesnt seem a very good idea...

Why don't you log on to their website and fill out the questioner, their adviser will email you back with the suggestions that might suit your style. I tried once and the result was L'eau d'Hiver and Dans tes bras, and you know what.. i did like it L'eau d'Hiver, a lot, French Lover comes second and follow by En Passant.. not sure about dan tes bras..

I have a small Musc Ravaguer sample you could have if you PM me your address

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    Volley..blind buy doesnt seem a very good idea...

Why don't you log on to their website and fill out the questioner, their adviser will email you back with the suggestions that might suit your style. I tried once and the result was L'eau d'Hiver and Dans tes bras, and you know what.. i did like it L'eau d'Hiver, a lot, French Lover comes second and follow by En Passant.. not sure about dan tes bras..
    Cx827, will sure go check out the questionnaire. Thank you! Now I can't wait to see what their suggestion would be. Unfortunately their website is down right now, will be back August 23. grrrrr

Please Please sample them first, i never loved any of them upon first sniff.... but now am hopelessly in love with Geranium Pour Monsieur. All are very original, but not a single Frederic Malle fragrance is loved by everyone. Everyone loves Musc Ravageur, but i dont, it depends on your nose, so sample them as much as you can. This might be one house where reading reviews might just be for the fun of it....

Thumbs up Re: FREDERIC MALLE: Which one is the best?

All them are very very good.I like all of them and i own VETIVER EXTRAORDINAIRE ( the best vetiver after ENCRE NOIRE ), DANS TES BRAS ( magnificent violet ) and MUSK RAVAGEUR ( both by Maurice Roucell ), FRENCH LOVER ( overdose of angelica ), GERANIUM POUR MONSIUER ( the best geranium IMHO ), the super sexy CARNAL FLOWER ( potent tuberosa, very nice for summer ).
    But as i have said they are all magnificent
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Blog Entries

I have to agree with the advice to wait to sample first. My husband tried Nois Epices last year and was all set to buy a bottle last week when we visited Barneys, but when he tried it again, he decided against buying; he decided he didn't like it after all.

I was the one who ended up buying a bottle-- Une Rose-- which I didn't care for last year!

I'm really pissed off with Frederic Malle.
    I want to buy a sample pack from them, but they only accept credit cards.
    I send them an email, asking if it is also possible to pay with Paypal.
    They simply do not answer me.

After that I mailed a local perfume store which has the Fredeirc Malle perfumes.
    Asking if I can buy samples from them.

They also do not send an answer back!!!

I know TPC has them, but their prices for such small samples are so outrageous.

Musc Ravageur definitely.

I've tried whole FM line.....

My advice is not to buy blind any of FM perfumes, they are expensive and unique. Sample them first.
    But if you wish to blind buy I would suggest Musk Ravageur and Vetiver Extraordinaire....you're probably gonna like them.

They are all pretty good, but be patient and sample. I happen to like Noir Epices, but I don't lovvvvvvve it. It is very well made though and the strongest scent I own.

Vetiver Extraordinaire is the strongest vetiver I've run into. MR just didn't work on me. I may have been anosmic to the musk in it, but many love it as well.

They make a nice range of different scents, and many here have one or two that they are passionate about. But as many here have said, you should really sample them. They are fairly unique and distinctive. Some you might not like at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    I've only tried Musc Ravageur and Noir Epices, so far. Loved MR, but NE was too aldehydic for me.
    What he said times 10
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

Basenotes Institution

I think you should sample before you buy - as it has been said above- Freddie Malle is kinda unique but I love Carnal Flower..............
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by limaaa View Post
    I've tried whole FM line.....

My advice is not to buy blind any of FM perfumes, they are expensive and unique. Sample them first.
    But if you wish to blind buy I would suggest Musk Ravageur and Vetiver Extraordinaire....you're probably gonna like them.
    +1 Solid advice. I love them all, but they surely aren't for everybody.

Cologne Bigarade and Geranium pour Monsieur are my favourite two.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I'm really pissed off with Frederic Malle.
    I want to buy a sample pack from them, but they only accept credit cards.
    I send them an email, asking if it is also possible to pay with Paypal.
    They simply do not answer me.

After that I mailed a local perfume store which has the Fredeirc Malle perfumes.
    Asking if I can buy samples from them.

They also do not send an answer back!!!

I know TPC has them, but their prices for such small samples are so outrageous.
    they are funny about samples, i have been chasing places trying to get some samples of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    they are funny about samples, i have been chasing places trying to get some samples of them.
    We know that Monsieur Malle doesn't want his friends maids to wear his fragrances, maybe the same goes for hicks in the boonies...

I own MR and would actually consider it relatively safe.
    A great, well behaved sensual oriental that almost anyone will appreciate who likes cinnamon, vanilla, musk and sweet frags in general.

I dont yet want to recommend on others as I have to revisit this line myself, last samplings were over a year ago.

I don't think any of them are full bottle worthy. They all smell souless, clinical and aloof with the possible exception of Carnal Flower. This is my favorite from the line.

Les Senteurs offers samples of the line. Shipping is free and it’s definitely cheaper than ordering from Malle direct. I’m pretty lucky as i also live in a city with a perfume shop that has Malle in its stock. So far i’m very impressed by French Lover and Vertiver Ex and Noir Epices. But FL is the one to get, imho. Unique and strikingly elegant.

I like many, but Noir Epices stands out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorag View Post
    Les Senteurs offers samples of the line. Shipping is free and it’s definitely cheaper than ordering from Malle direct. I’m pretty lucky as i also live in a city with a perfume shop that has Malle in its stock. So far i’m very impressed by French Lover and Vertiver Ex and Noir Epices. But FL is the one to get, imho. Unique and strikingly elegant.
    When I had read your post, I immediately googled Les Senteurs, having some kind of euphoria that I finally might have found a shop with "normal" prices that sell FM samples.

Now I see their samples do not have a spray

(lol..)

By the way, I am sorry for going off-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    They all smell souless, clinical and aloof.
    Being someone who does enjoy the line for the most part, I actually kind of agree with that. I guess I would call them "precise" rather than "soulless and clinical" ...and I think that's what I like about them. They're designed with certain goals in mind, as far as notes and themes, and they achieve those goals with astonishing efficiency and accuracy.

Anyway, I like Vetiver Extraordinaire, French Lover and Bigarade Concentree the most so far. I would like Angeliques Sous la Pluie a lot more if it was a bit stronger. Have not tried Carnal Flower yet.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Blog Entries

When I had read your post, I immediately googled Les Senteurs, having some kind of euphoria that I finally might have found a shop with "normal" prices that sell FM samples.

Now I see their samples do not have a spray
    Any easy problem to solve, though-- we decant our non-spray samples into 2.5 ml atomizers that we buy from accessories for fragrances.com. Sure, costs a bit, but I've found that if a perfume is sold as a spray, I need to test it by spraying it on, as the effect from dabbing will not be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Being someone who does enjoy the line for the most part, I actually kind of agree with that. I guess I would call them "precise" rather than "soulless and clinical" ...and I think that's what I like about them. They're designed with certain goals in mind, as far as notes and themes, and they achieve those goals with astonishing efficiency and accuracy.

Anyway, I like Vetiver Extraordinaire, French Lover and Bigarade Concentree the most so far. I would like Angeliques Sous la Pluie a lot more if it was a bit stronger. Have not tried Carnal Flower yet.
    OK souless was harsh, but I stand by clinical. Can I replace souless with methodical?

Banned

If I had to choose one it would undoubtedly be Bigarade Concentree. Bitter oranges combine with rose and hay to produce an light, long lasting, and surprisingly sensual fragrance. You could use an entire bottle, and it wouldn't overbear. One of Jean-Claude Ellena's finest works.

Aside from BC I enjoy and own Bois d'Orage (French Lover), Carnal Flower, and Vetiver Extraordinaire. Sold my bottle of Noir Epices as I couldn't endure the vapid combination of orange, aldehydes and spices.

My only memorable experience was with Musc Ravageur. It wasn't fitting for me, personally, but I remember the uncanny ability to detect every single note. Not sure if that was totally due to its design or if the method of testing had an effect (the sales associate sprays a bit into this walk-in tube, about the size of a phone booth, the fragrance gets dispersed, then you walk in).

Avoid buying a lot of this particular fragrance, blindly. Due to its balance, I can imagine this frag developing in many different ways depending on the individual. It might not work on you.

I don't doubt the quality, it just wasn't good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Any easy problem to solve, though-- we decant our non-spray samples into 2.5 ml atomizers that we buy from accessories for fragrances.com. Sure, costs a bit, but I've found that if a perfume is sold as a spray, I need to test it by spraying it on, as the effect from dabbing will not be the same.
    I totally agree.
    But indeed, when you need to order atomizers next to your samples, it's getting quite expensive.

I am really wondering why these companies don't use spray samples.
    Is there any logic behind it?

Banned

I totally agree.
    But indeed, when you need to order atomizers next to your samples, it's getting quite expensive.

I am really wondering why these companies don't use spray samples.
    Is there any logic behind it?
    Because it's slightly cheaper and a lot of people don't know any better. I'd be willing to bet customers use atomizer samples faster. That in itself may boost sales.

That said, I would much rather have a 1.5-2ml vial of fragrance for $5/£3 (les sentuers), which you can then decant into your 50¢ 2.5ml atomizers, than the $5 1ml atomizers / $3-4 .7ml vials at luckyscent.

If you buy samples often, it's a small difference that would add up to a bottle.
    Last edited by teger; 10th August 2010 at 01:33 AM.

Personally for the most part the house is overpriced, but, if I had to choose one, it would be Musc Ravageur
    I decant a lot of fragrances, and whenever MR is one of them, it is the only one that I can smell. It just dominates with this sweet animilic spiciness that gets addictive if your not careful!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Malle has so many good scents. But if you wanna pick one first scent for you, I think Musc Ravageur is what you will like. It smell like sex in the first 2 hours, and then, cinnamon and vanille makes this scent smell so romantic and lovely.

I owned a bottle of Musc Ravageur, I loved it the moment I first smelled it. After about a month I felt out of love and sold it. I found it well made, but a bit monotonous.

Interesting comments. Thank you all guys! Well, hopefully my MR sample arrives soon.

I don't understand that Geranium Pour Monsieur! I tried to appreciate it but failed miserably. I had to confront myself with the truth that I'm not the connoisseur I thought I was. It smells just like the 10-dollar geranium essential oil I have. All those nuances are wasted on me. The awesomeness that is only felt by the 'nose' people seems to skate over me *tears are falling*

It was created by Ropion, right! Ehhhh... Maybe in another life I will be able to heed its genius.

FM has many great scents, nonetheless. My most fave is Musc Ravageur.
    Last edited by Killer_Vavoom; 10th August 2010 at 06:39 AM.

I fully understand how you feel about Geranium Pour Monsieur. I too have the essential oil of rose geranium and it is cheap, yes! I like the chill it gives me, but unfortunately it is very short-lived on me and altogether not complex or outstanding enough. Not even mentioning the price tag.

Well, I never tried geranium, so Geranium pour Monsieur was my first, and it was very barbershop for me, which I'm not so keen on.

My top 3 are Musc Ravageur, French Lover and Noir Epices. I would definitely suggest that you try everything first, because you're looking at fragrances where the notes are really accentuated, for example tuberose in Carnal Flower. When I first tried it, I felt like I was hit by a tuberose bomb, and Parfum de Terese was like a super intense Diorella. As much as they got much praise here, and I can see why they are so loved, but I just could not take them.

Hey supper, thank you for the input! =)

I feel like each may be a different 'person'. Some I dislike greatly. I prefer Noir Epices, and I prefer it above most other perfumes. To me, it smells faintly evil, in the best possible way. Like witchcraft should smell......! But a rather expensive bad date if you pick the wrong one...

Hi Lovecraft! Welcome to basenotes!

I got the Musc Ravageur in the end and loving it! Noir Epices is a very interesting frag. If I would get another bottle from the Malle line, it could be Noir Epices, who knows?!?

I agree with JWS assessment that the scents are methodical (Outrageous excepted, although I suppose it could be argued that it's methodical in how hard it is trying to be different). That's not a bad thing, per se, but it is a house style and that isn't going to jive with everyone. It's just like how Bond has a house style that many people here dislike. I'd try sampling a number of them first. They actually tend to be fairly simple scents on the conceptual level, but they are executed very well and with great ingredients.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

In this ranking:

1. Musc Ravageur
    2. Vetiver Extraordinaire
    3. Noir Epices

My vote goes to Geranium pour Monsieur. There is no better, more masculine mint that this, IMHO.

Bois D'Orage

I love L'Eau d'Hiver. It's a light air, milky almond and refreshing, kind of a morning scent. Easy for daily wear, comparing to some heavy and unique Frederic Malle frags. It's another Jean Claude Ellena's creation, so expect the minimalist masterpiece yet perfection.

Other Frederic Malle's perfume came close to be my fav. are: Musc Ravageur and Le Parfum de Therese.
    Anyway, all perfumes from this line are also worth trying.

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 31st December 2010 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash H. View Post
    I approach Frederic Malle's line the way you go looking for artists in a museum......One doesn't have to like everything but one ought to sample each and everyone of them.....
    I agree. However, IMHO, this rarefied presentation creates an air of pretentiousness that can really put the kibosh on all the potential fun. As a result, the only ones I've connect with so far are the vulgar Musk Ravageur and the rakish Boisd'Orage/French Lover.

If you contact Frederic Malle, they will send you samples... you don't need to buy blind or based solely on recommendations from Basenotes.

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 31st December 2010 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash H. View Post
    It is all a matter of how one approaches things, perfumes in this instance. This is simply my take on them, which is a byproduct of my way of doing things.
    And one's idea of fun maybe light years away from others' views.
    Variability of expression makes this world diverse, doesn't it?
    I certainly didn't mean to offend you and hope I don't come off sounding like a philistine. I do, wholeheartedly, agree with you. After 6 years at an art school, resulting in an MFA, I can still experience joy and, at times, fun visiting an art exhibition.

Blog Entries

On the issue of samples, although it has been posted recently, it bears repeating that Aedes now carries Malle and they do have a sampling program-- 7 samples for $15 postage included (see: http://www.aedes.com/samples.php.)

Granted that Aedes-decanted samples are small vials, whereas Malle's own samples are 2 ml sprays, but still it's a way to sample that doesn't break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    If you contact Frederic Malle, they will send you samples... you don't need to buy blind or based solely on recommendations from Basenotes.
    Be prepared to drop €20 for 3 samples

Cool Re: FREDERIC MALLE: Which one is the best?

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    I own MR and would actually consider it relatively safe.
    A great, well behaved sensual oriental that almost anyone will appreciate who likes cinnamon, vanilla, musk and sweet frags in general.

I dont yet want to recommend on others as I have to revisit this line myself, last samplings were over a year ago.
    +1. If you like orientals, this is a pretty save bet. Especially good for the evening. I haven't sampled any other Malle fragrances and therefore cannot say which one would be the best for me, but consider this to be really really well made. You'll probably end up with a bottle anyway .

One of my fav line. My order among the ones I own would be

1. Carnal Flower (Holy grail)

2. Une rose
    3. Vetiver Extraordinaire
    4. Iris poudré
    5. French Lover
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Fleur de Cassie
    8. Lys
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V