Code of Conduct

Default Donna Karan Signature: New vs Old

I have fallen HARD for the DK Signature re-issue in the tall slender black bottle. It has a fabulous vintage feel that I adore!

What Im wondering is, if anyone can tell me how it compares to the original? The original disappeared from the shelves around the same time I was a fledgling colognoisser! Has the reissue been kind or harmful to the original blend?

Your comments are appreciated!

Dimi

Default Re: Donna Karan Signature: New vs Old

Sorry I have never sniffed the new one. But hate with a passion the Klingon bottle, total nightmare to aim the spray where you want it to go.
    DONNA

I loved, loved, loved the original one, but I never had a bottle. I received the Body Lotion for Christmas (early 90s) and it was delicious. I am looking forward to trying the new one soon.
    Evenstar

Thanks arwen_elf! I would be very interested to hear what you think! Very rarely the original one turns up here and there, but I have not had the chance to compare the two back to back.
    Please post more if/when you try it

This is one of the Donna Karan frags that I was always curious to try. Sometimes you can find it for reasonable prices at ebay, and one seller at basenotes was offering the pure parfum of the old version for 90 dollars I think.

Yes, that was what had inspired me to start this thread Rick. I love the new formula, but wonder about the vintage.
    Anyone who has TRIED the vintage... would you kindly comment here?

Hi guys, well, I've only ever tried the vintage parfum, so I can't compare it to the new edition.

But that said, I have to say that I think it's my absolute favorite in the "Dry Woods" fragrance category, beating out two hard-to-top fragrances (Bandit and Cabaret). There's a warm, soft, woody creaminess to it that's really hard to resist; it's been described as "suede-like" and it does have a softer, more supple leather feel than the no-holds-barred butch leather of Bandit, yet it's spicy and interesting at the same time. It also holds the florals and woods in an absolute perfect balance. Neither dominates the relationship and the result is magnificent. It's equally wearable by men and women. The phrase that comes to my mind on this one is quiet sophistication: you will definitely not find Britney Spears wearing this.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    ...one seller at basenotes was offering the pure parfum of the old version for 90 dollars I think.
    Looks like its had a $5 price-hike in the last few days. I also recall a price tag of $90.
    Damn inflation!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Looks like its had a $5 price-hike in the last few days. I also recall a price tag of $90.
    Damn inflation!
    Because of this thread, I ended searching for an auction of the old edp at ebay and won it. It`ll be from a month at my house, I think, and then i`ll be able to tell at least how the old edp smells like

I received my vintage Klingon bottle today. The bottle is strange and beautiful at the same time, although is hard to hold on, i like to hold it. The scent is gorgeous, a complex one. I detect flowers, fruits, spices, resins, powder. Something in this reminds me of Guerlain, but at the same time it has something of nu edp at the base and something of poison at the beginning too. A winner to me, i loved it!

Thanks Rick, you pretty much describe the modern version too, which is a relief.
    I also gathered a sense of "old world Guerlain" when sniffing this... something in the same ballpark as Vol de Nuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Thanks Rick, you pretty much describe the modern version too, which is a relief.
    I also gathered a sense of "old world Guerlain" when sniffing this... something in the same ballpark as Vol de Nuit.
    That was exactly the Guerlain that this one reminded me of!

I have the original in the strange batman-type bottle(my brother bought it as a gift to my mum in 1993, who gave it to me recently when she discovered that I was buying vintage bottles as she never uses perfume), which I believe is discontinued?

It has that new office furniture-type scent that is bizarre to my nose.Though I imagine that many a dude might actually love it.

One spritz to experiment & never again!
    Last edited by domperrier; 27th August 2010 at 01:22 AM.