Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Can we guys really get away with wearing Guerlain Mitsouko?

First time i tried it, i did it thinking it was a Male Frag... It smelled like a male frag (ok, not so MALE, but Male enough )... later i discovered it was a female frag... well, for me, looked usable, i showed it to my mom and loved it.

After reading this thread I have decided to wear Mitsouko for the first time today. My wife will be impressed.

We can and we do!
    I have the latest EdP version and I love it! I think Mitsouko came from a time in fragrance history - when borders between men and women/male and female were more blurred...more ambisexual! I'm happy with the version I have but I would love to get my hands on a vintage bottle no matter at what cost! This is stuff of MAGIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruspotter View Post
    I have read several articles saying we can, but although it is excellent and mouthwateringly perfect in every way, isn't it just a little bit too feminine for a man? I wish I had the guts to wear Mitsouko, maybe transversely I'm just not man enough?
    The ground truth is: nobody cares! As far as Your frag doesn't cry as a fire alarm it will never be heard against all that scents around, starting from laundry detergent ending somewhere around intimate hygiene. Mitsouko has been designed before functional fragrance took over.

And, if someone would take notice, the first she thinks would be, that it isn't "fresh". A lot to talk about then. You may invite her to prove in person Your dayly grooming ritual before breakfast trustworthy. If she denies, should You really care about her thoughts about You?

Basenotes Institution

Inspired by this thread I wore Mitsouko (vintage EdT) to my boot camp class this morning at the gym. It performed nicely.

I have read several articles saying we can, but although it is excellent and mouthwateringly perfect in every way, isn't it just a little bit too feminine for a man? I wish I had the guts to wear Mitsouko, maybe transversely I'm just not man enough?
    Nope, can't do it. Can't be done. Give up now. The end.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I've never understood why Guerlain doesn't market this for both women and men. I think sales would be even better if it were. I've always thought of it as a more refined Aramis actually. I still think it's a breathtaking fragrance.

I love to wear Mitsouko, but alas my wife hates the smell of it with a passion. She threatened to divorce me if I didn't get rid of it. I still have a 75ml EDP and a vintage 50ml EDC - no divorce yet.

Most certainly. I normally wait for cold damp autumn days before wearing the Parfum de Toilette. I find this version to be the most 'masculine' of the other formulations. In fact, masculine is probably not a good word, more like deep, rich and woody. I also hit the clubs in winter wearing Shalimar extrait and I get several compliments. The extrait version is the smokiest vanilla heaven. As its been said, no one will know you are wearing a fragrance MARKETED (as opposed to made) for women. GO GO GO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual View Post
    I took one sniff of it and ran (away). Gender marketing had nothing to do with it.
    My thoughts exactly. I cannot remember ever smelling a scent that is so highly revered, yet so instantly repulsive to me.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I'm surprised people are saying its so recognizable. I wish I traveled in circles where it was recognizable. I would have said that if someone was enough of a perfumista to recognize Mitsouko then they would be enough of a perfumista not to be hung up that a guy is wearing it.

Now if it were Chanel No. 5, I would expect it to be recognized universally.

Bottom line - if you like it, wear it. Dont worry about other people. That being said if you still are unsure i would suggest wearing the EDT as the EDP is little bit overpowering

Mitsouko smells beautiful on me. I usually wear extrait, and just a bit. Smells just as appropriate as a masculine scent as anything else I own.

The scent to me smells like play dough. Call me strange.

Mitsouko is not particularly feminine, I think. Indeed, it is challenging and austere; the boldness is to wear something so unrevealing rather than something that is feminine. The peach note could potentially puzzle some people, simply on account of it being a fruit rarely encountered in perfumes.

Easily. That said, I did encounter an old lady wearing it.

This is one I wear - don't ask me why - preferaby from early spring to early summer plus when I intend to spend the day outdoors. It goes together so nicely with sunshine, crisp air, a breeze. It has never crossed my mind to wear this at night to an invitation etc. Having said that, Mitsouko is an easy wear as a man. The plush peach note in the new extrait is sublime, but maybe slightly less man-friendly than the harsher vibe (although sometimes slightly too synthetic for my liking) of the EdP. Vintage Mitsouko is not for me, but the new reformulated brighter jus is!

@Bruspotter: Of course, it is always a matter of time & circumstances, too. The liberties men can take in one place, yours for example, may not be as self-understood in other parts of the world.

Maybe Guerlains Derby could be your bridge. This and Mitsouko rare really not far apart, I love (and wear) one as much as the other for evening affairs.

Also, please read Kevin's answer to your question here!
    Last edited by narcus; 25th November 2011 at 02:18 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Bumping this thread as I am buying Mitsouko.

Many Guerlains are quite unisex and Vol de Nuit, Shalimar, Habit Rouge, Derby and Jicky at at the top of my list.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Perspective on gender marketing:

One of the most male-specific marketed frags out there is STETSON. Close your eyes and sniff. Is your mental image a cowboy hat or a lacy bra? It's girlier than Mitsouko, no question.

That said, I can't wear Mitsouko. Most chypres don't agree with my body chemistry, and I prefer less 'dense' compositions anyway.

If you like it and can pull it off, you definitely should.

Don't get the edt, at any rate, Primrose. I tried some the other day for the second time, and for the second time was unimpressed. Perhaps the edp is superior, but I shrug at the edt. A non-event to wear, rather than challenging.

I tried the PDT concentration last month. 3 sprays on my skin and the scent filled the whole room. My mom said it was a satanic smell ... love it

I would be so thrilled to smell this on a guy. Most of my male friends and co-workers who wear scent don't wear anything quite that good or interesting.

Thanks to andylama, though, I'm now dying to get back to the US and try Stetson. I also hear Lady Stetson is quite similar to Chanel No 22.

I've worn both Shalimar and No. 5. I really want to add this to my legends collection.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

"Viri autem propria maxime est fortitudo." Cicero

I find this very very unisex. I thought it was for men when I initially tried but the salesperson told me it is for women and I should try something else.

My sister wears it and so do I. Like Primrose said, many Guerlains can be easily worn by men even if they advertise to women exclusively. I love Jicky, Vol de Nuit, Shalimar, Apres L'ondee, etc.

I prefer Mitsouko EDP.

Have to say I much prefer to wear Jicky and L'Heure Bleue. Still have and wear Mitsouko EDT too, mainly at home to relax though. Might have to give the EDP a sniff.

I wear it often in the autumn. It's marvelous and warm and I can't imagine anyone ever thinking it smells girly.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    "Viri autem propria maxime est fortitudo." Cicero
    Isn't this a violation of the forum rules?

3.1 Your post must be in English.

We are an English language website, with a majority of English reading members. We are unable to moderate or, more importantly, enjoy posts which are in a language that we cannot understand. Members can of course use the personal message feature to help or discuss in other languages.

Yes, I agree that the newer Mitsouko has less "teeth." No more oakmoss but, for me, still enjoyable.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Vintage Mitsouko is God. Any questions?

You go directly to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Isn't this a violation of the forum rules?

3.1 Your post must be in English.

We are an English language website, with a majority of English reading members. We are unable to moderate or, more importantly, enjoy posts which are in a language that we cannot understand. Members can of course use the personal message feature to help or discuss in other languages.

Yes, I agree that the newer Mitsouko has less "teeth." No more oakmoss but, for me, still enjoyable.
    My apologies. The translation from Latin is
    "a man's chief quality is courage." - Cicero

Regards,

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I would be so thrilled to smell this on a guy. Most of my male friends and co-workers who wear scent don't wear anything quite that good or interesting.

Thanks to andylama, though, I'm now dying to get back to the US and try Stetson. I also hear Lady Stetson is quite similar to Chanel No 22.
    Cheers, Kagey.

Stetson, for being a cheapie (it's like $10 per ounce), is surprisingly nice, particularly on a woman. The only downside is that the longevity isn't very good. Still, hard to complain at that price point.

I've also heard that Lady Stetson is (somewhat) similar to Chanel No.22, though I'm willing to bet that the Chanel trounces it in the longevity department.

btw, the flankers aren't bad either (again, not bad for the price), and only slightly more overtly 'masculine'. "Untamed" is a pale 'burnt sugar' cologne (think eau de creme brulee), and 'Black' is a bitter unripe apple sort of thing.

Non, no, nyet, nein, nay.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    My apologies. The translation from Latin is
    "a man's chief quality is courage." - Cicero

Regards,

Joe
    Thanks for the translation. The last member here who was fluent in Latin was our JaimeB.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    btw, the flankers aren't bad either (again, not bad for the price), and only slightly more overtly 'masculine'. "Untamed" is a pale 'burnt sugar' cologne (think eau de creme brulee), and 'Black' is a bitter unripe apple sort of thing.
    Thanks, andylama. Making a note of those. I can't wait to organize my next trip to NY and go to Walgreens and K-Mart (need to restock on Jovan and Coty musks too). How insanely sad is that?!

I can wear a great number of older feminine-marketed frags to great avail because in my age group most people were raised in the U.S. on the new fake/fresh norm and don't recognize the construction of the classics. Where Mitsouko is concerned (and I love all versions I've sampled so far) I prefer the light, breezy 90's EDT on myself over any of the EDP's I've tried. It just works. I love chypres in general, and I LOVE rose scents, so this was an immediate attraction for me.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

Wore it last night again. If one is in the mood for it, it is a great scent and very wearable.

I like wearing Mitsouko but it does remind me of chip fat.

Quote Originally Posted by chapter10 View Post
    I like wearing Mitsouko but it does remind me of chip fat.
    Had to laugh at this although I think Jacques Guerlain is probably spinning in his grave. Also in some parts of the UK I imagine smelling of chips must be an aphrodisiac.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Yeah I do. I even get away with L'instant de Guerlain pour femme, which I love so much. I wear the extrait of it. In moderation, scents will blend well with your looks and chemistry. If you love it, wear it without fear. I get away will most of the women's Caron scents. Two sparys on the chest and that's it. You can replenish later on in the day. If you are self-aware all the time, you won't enjoy it.
    I just smelled L'Instant de Guerlain PF. That stuff is excellent!

I liked it until I started picking up a strong clove note which put me off.

Mitsouko is feminine and obviously so - convince yourself it's masculine if you want to feel better, but it's a classical dated feminine fragrance and if you wanna wear it, so be it.

isn't it just a little bit too feminine for a man?
    yes, it is (at least to my nose) but you can always enjoy it at home.

The new version is still very much a chypre and not what women usually buy these days. It is beautiful and classy, not the sugary stuff they push for women in the mainstream market.

Banned

I see no problems.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't you're right. (about Mitsouko that is!)
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Thanks, andylama. Making a note of those. I can't wait to organize my next trip to NY and go to Walgreens and K-Mart (need to restock on Jovan and Coty musks too). How insanely sad is that?!
    No shame in that. We've all paid much more to get much less. Viva cheapies!

I am usually open minded to fragrances but Mitsouko is so 1950 at best that I would not recommend it to anyone. Seriously it is my bigest disappointment since joining Basenotes which I will probably never understand and appreciate.
    Last edited by dreamer81; 15th August 2012 at 06:48 AM.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

When I tried it I got peach and a peanut butter scent which I found gross.lol

Absolutely, guys can get away with wearing this. There are very few women's frags that I feel comfortable wearing, but this is easily one of them. If you are comfortable wearing, say, Habit Rouge, then I see no reason why you wouldn't be comfortable wearing Mitsouko. It doesn't really smell that feminine to my nose.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

oh yes. especially the vintage edc version that mike p loves so well.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Once you've mastered the pulling off of Mitsouko, move on to Arpege. Wore it last night after quite some time, and whilst I thoroughly subscribe to the theory that perfumes don't have genitals, it was a little bit feminine (esp the top notes). Still enjoyed it though.

I don't know about the vintage, but I tried the current formulation about a month ago for an evening. Absolutely did not work. I mean, I guess I could wear it, but why push it when there are so many others that smell much better on men (and on me in particular).
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I bought the current Mitsouko EdP based on tons of rave reviews, and although I really do consider it a masterpiece, I can't help feeling a bit self-conscious when I wear it. It may be the rich floral heart, I don't know. Anyway, I held on to the bottle. Until, not too long ago, when, one night I decided to wear it on my chest, underneath my shirt, layered with Guerlain Homme... I have NEVER received so many compliments on a fragrance in one night. You guys, it's an amazing combination. The touch of vetiver in Guerlain Homme really adds some green, grassyness to the mossy velvet-like qualities of mistouko, and the refreshing mojito accord pulls the woods in Mitsouko center stage. What you end up with, is a spicier, woodier, yet sheerer Mitsouko, a Mistouko Homme. Try it out and let me know what you think!

Here's something to think about: Do you like the scent ON YOU? I absolutely love Fahrenheit 32, but when I smell it, I smell something more like a woman I'd want to date than the man I want to be. I LOVE the smell, but not on me.

If you love the scent on your skin, I say wear it. But maybe it's a case of loving the scent but not on yourself...?

- - - Updated - - -

Did I just reply to a really really old post. Why, yes. Yes, I did.

I have tried the current EDP and by"tried" I mean at least five full wearings.

There was something undefined that bothered me.

Now I am sure that I much prefer to wear Habit Rouge EDP or Vetiver (the ribbed bottle) from the same house.

Yes.

The PDT & Vintage Extrait are my personal favourites.

Maybe those fancy metrosexual guys in the big cosmopolitan cities. But a simple country yokel like myself, nah.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Chris View Post
    I bought the current Mitsouko EdP based on tons of rave reviews, and although I really do consider it a masterpiece, I can't help feeling a bit self-conscious when I wear it. It may be the rich floral heart, I don't know. Anyway, I held on to the bottle. Until, not too long ago, when, one night I decided to wear it on my chest, underneath my shirt, layered with Guerlain Homme... I have NEVER received so many compliments on a fragrance in one night. You guys, it's an amazing combination. The touch of vetiver in Guerlain Homme really adds some green, grassyness to the mossy velvet-like qualities of mistouko, and the refreshing mojito accord pulls the woods in Mitsouko center stage. What you end up with, is a spicier, woodier, yet sheerer Mitsouko, a Mistouko Homme. Try it out and let me know what you think!
    A great first post, including a fun recipe. Welcome to Basenotes!

'Mitsouko Homme'

Nice one