Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Can we guys really get away with wearing Guerlain Mitsouko?

Each person perceives the potential wearability of a scent in his own way.

As such, we have various opinions.

I personally like Mitsouko and think it is a very wearable and elegant unisex chypre.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    A great first post, including a fun recipe. Welcome to Basenotes!
    Thank you! Give that little mix a try and see what you think!

Wow, you guys reply fast! Haha, I already like it here! I desperately needed a place to rant about perfumery, SA's have absolutely no knowledge, and my friends and family were close to committing suicide if I mentioned the words "fragrance" or "perfume" one more time :P

mihailo

No one can get away with wearing Mitsouko. It's so bleek and boring. A real buzz killer.

So yesterday, I did a little experiment. I sprayed on Mitsouko and asked my (straight, fragrantly-clueless, only wears Lacoste and Hugo Boss frags) roommate what he thought about my fragrance. This was his reply: "that smells really good, it's kind of a night-time/going-out cologne though, don't you think? I like it, what is it?". Needless to say, he was totally floored when I told him it's a "women's" eau de parfum created nearly a century ago. Fragrance becomes a part of you, if you don't wear it with enough confidence (and in some cases, the appropriate attire), the fragrance WILL wear YOU. In conclusion: ignore the sex it's marketed to, wear whatever the hell you want
    LOOKING TO BUY/SWAP SAMPLES/DECANTS OF:
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian OUD
    Guerlain Vol de Nuit
    Guerlain Jicky
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Chanel Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Chris View Post
    So yesterday, I did a little experiment. I sprayed on Mitsouko and asked my (straight, fragrantly-clueless, only wears Lacoste and Hugo Boss frags) roommate what he thought about my fragrance. This was his reply: "that smells really good, it's kind of a night-time/going-out cologne though, don't you think? I like it, what is it?". Needless to say, he was totally floored when I told him it's a "women's" eau de parfum created nearly a century ago. Fragrance becomes a part of you, if you don't wear it with enough confidence (and in some cases, the appropriate attire), the fragrance WILL wear YOU. In conclusion: ignore the sex it's marketed to, wear whatever the hell you want
    I could not have said it better! Welcome to BN, Chris!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

NOT TO FORGET:

Wallis Warfield, Mrs. Wallis Simpson, and finally The Duchess of Windsor, one of the most cathartic women in the history of the XXe Century, also a style icon, made a signature of Mitsouko, and to this day, there are still those, quite well informed, (including her protector during the last years of her life and the executor of her much contested will, the French lawyer Suzanne Blum) who maintain that she was actually a man..........

The question at this point in history should not be "Is it for girls or boys?" but: "Do I like it? Does it suit me? Does it bring me pleasure? Do I recognize myself in it?" There are *so many* examples of men's fragrances that smell tenfold more "feminine" than Mitsouko, which proves the point: "Gender" hasn't much to do with fragrance these days. "Pleasure," on the other hand, does. If the wearing of *Any* fragrance brings beauty to your life, in any way, then you should wear it proudly.
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Si, oui, da, ja--oops English, right, YES: on the right man, and the right man is: whichever one wants to and does it!

I'm a semi-"lipstick lesbian" type but with an androgynous minimalist side and have found Mitsi works best when in that understated, androgynous look and mood. "Bleak," maybe. I think more smoldering, brooding. Boring only to those who don't care to appreciate the eerie evocation of its original time and simultaneous total timelessness. Classic movies are slow and in black and white, but the best of them still slay all else.

Mitsouko is my absolute favorite for its pure aesthetic-emotive power, and in every concentration there's something to be moved by. Being such a well-known classic and so complex, Mitsouko speaks to and on everyone a little differently.

Admittedly the current edp brings more of the femme to the fore with the way the peach is handled. Recent vintage edt or extract may be the best for reading at all masculine--but may as well hit up the oakmoss-rich versions. I really don't think the current edt smells much like Mitsouko though, but maybe?

Rüssel's tip on Arpege is nice too. Arpege and Mitsouko should be considered unisex in the context of today's market. Maybe wear at home until you work up the comfort level to go out in it?

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    The question at this point in history should not be "Is it for girls or boys?" but: "Do I like it? Does it suit me? Does it bring me pleasure? Do I recognize myself in it?" There are *so many* examples of men's fragrances that smell tenfold more "feminine" than Mitsouko, which proves the point: "Gender" hasn't much to do with fragrance these days. "Pleasure," on the other hand, does. If the wearing of *Any* fragrance brings beauty to your life, in any way, then you should wear it proudly.
    That really sums it all up and answers all these questions posed here.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I find it helps if I wear Mitsouoko with a cute sundress and some strappy sandals. Then it seems just right.
    +1! lol..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    That really sums it all up and answers all these questions posed here.
    +2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    I love to wear Mitsouko, but alas my wife hates the smell of it with a passion. She threatened to divorce me if I didn't get rid of it. I still have a 75ml EDP and a vintage 50ml EDC - no divorce yet.
    can i have them?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    Had to laugh at this although I think Jacques Guerlain is probably spinning in his grave. Also in some parts of the UK I imagine smelling of chips must be an aphrodisiac.
    LOOOOOL!!!!.. you're killing me..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anomie et ivoire View Post
    Si, oui, da, ja--oops English, right, YES: on the right man, and the right man is: whichever one wants to and does it!

I'm a semi-"lipstick lesbian" type but with an androgynous minimalist side and have found Mitsi works best when in that understated, androgynous look and mood. "Bleak," maybe. I think more smoldering, brooding. Boring only to those who don't care to appreciate the eerie evocation of its original time and simultaneous total timelessness. Classic movies are slow and in black and white, but the best of them still slay all else.

Mitsouko is my absolute favorite for its pure aesthetic-emotive power, and in every concentration there's something to be moved by. Being such a well-known classic and so complex, Mitsouko speaks to and on everyone a little differently.

Admittedly the current edp brings more of the femme to the fore with the way the peach is handled. Recent vintage edt or extract may be the best for reading at all masculine--but may as well hit up the oakmoss-rich versions. I really don't think the current edt smells much like Mitsouko though, but maybe?

Rüssel's tip on Arpege is nice too. Arpege and Mitsouko should be considered unisex in the context of today's market. Maybe wear at home until you work up the comfort level to go out in it?
    you had me at 'lipstick lesbian'..