Code of Conduct

Default Need some guidance

OK so I've been reading these forums for the better part of 2 hours now. I'm 20 (21 in a month) and entering my senior year in college. I'm a Business major (sport management/finance/accounting) so I attend a fair share of business events (suit and tie) as well as sporting events (sports jerseys). I had never purchased a fragrance until 6 months ago when I bought Polo Black. My main reason behind that was because I fancy the brand, especially their clothes (my everyday outfit consists of a RL Polo and Jeans), and it was my favorite fragrance of theirs. I use it typically once a week for going out mainly to college house parties but sometimes for more sophisticated events (banquets, a wedding, etc.).

I'm now looking to diversify my collection (well really start), especially geared toward the party scene but also for the business and sporting occasions. I've put together a list that seem pretty popular on these forums but am certainly open to more suggestions. My main question would be which to buy and when or at which events to use them. Money isn't a huge issue but I'm not made of it so anything more than say $50 a bottle isn't happening unless it is an absolute must have. I'm looking to probably buy 2-4.

(In alphabetical order)
    A*Men
    Body Kouros
    Burberry London
    Creed (multiples not sure which ones?)
    Diesel Fuel for Life!
    Dreamer
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Issey Miyake
    Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Joop!
    Paco Rabanne 1 Million
    Rochus Man
    Rive Gauche
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche
    YSL La Nuit De L'Homme

Also because I like Polo this site seemed to like Romance Silver. Anyone have any suggestions on that?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank You!
    Last edited by CGBatch; 9th August 2010 at 12:43 PM.

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Need some guidance

My first word of advice is to try 'em. It looks like a good number on your list are in the sweet/gourmand woody oriental style (A*Men, Body Kouros, Rochas Man, Joop!, Le Mâle, London, The Dreamer), and you probably need only one of that type in a collection of 2-4 scents. Of the woody orientals on your list, I prefer Body Kouros and Rochas Man, and would add Jaïpur Homme EdP and Paul Smith London as some more alternatives to try. There are no hard and fast rules regarding when to wear what, but these sweet scents are liable to be most comfortable in social/evening settings than at the office or the job interview.

For something on your list in a contrasting style, Rive Gauche, a solid fougère, stands out in terms of quality and distinction. A sophisticated fougère can be easier to wear in a business or professional setting than a sweet oriental, as long as it's not applied too heavily. A few other scents worth a trial in the fougère style are Jazz, Creed's Green Irish Tweed, Tuscany, and The Third Man.

A few other popular men's fragrance styles, and some representative scents you might want to read up on or sample include:

Vetivers - Encre Noire, Guerlain Vetiver

Citrus - Eau Sauvage, Monsieur Balmain, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Mugler Cologne

Leather - Déclaration, Dirty English, Aramis 900

Woods - L'Anarchiste, Un Jardin en Méditerranée, Grey Flannel

Chypre - Chanel pour Monsieur, Anvers 2

Green - Devin, Eau de Campagne

Aquatic - Bvlgari Aqua (not "Marine"), New West

Happy hunting!

Blog Entries

John Varvatos (not Vintage or Artisan, although those are great as well. especially Vintage) you MUST own that for colder weather or atleast air conditioned, formal events and can find it for $30 online. I find A*Men less formal, but for a personal, special occasion (anniversary for example). It's actually my signature cold weather fragrance. Paco Rabanne 1 Million is in my opinion the less-formal version of John Varvatos, I definitely recommend trying it first though if you can, many people cant stand it. It's becoming my signature scent all year, as i find it extremely versatile, just be careful as its apaprently extremely potent. I've worn 4 sprays and people have smelled me literally 20 feet away outside. JOOP! Homme...its about as formal as a bunny costume lol; definitely more of a club fragrances. Rochas Man is what i've found to be a "cuddle" fragrance, or quite simply its the kind of thing that makes women wanna snuggle with you. I'm 110% against giving opinions like "IT GETS MAD CHICKS!" but Rochas Man does have that kind of effect on women. Le Male is a fragrance that i find can be worn anywhere, any time, as long as you spray the right amount, or lack thereof. You could wear it formally or casually, summer or winter. You just have to learn how much to apply. Fahrenheit by Dior is very formal once it dries down. It has a Russian Leather note which i find to absolutely amazing. Im getting a sample of The Dreamer tomorrow so ill let you know about that
    Last edited by Neurosis; 9th August 2010 at 07:05 PM.

Hi CG, Welcome!
    Some cheapos, unique and long lasting:
    Rochas Lui
    Bogart Pour Homme
    Lanvin Arpège Pour Homme