Code of Conduct

Default Reflections on Homage

After a 0.25 ml sample, after a second bigger sample, I bit the bullet and got a full 12 ml attar.

It was a little dismaying to notice that the smell of the bottle is rather different from that of the sample. Not in a bad way or good way. I'll try to explain. These observations are being made on a fragrance which for obvious reasons isn't made in any sprayable form, and using similarly small quantities of the juice - I am mentioning this in order to take that possibility out of the way. I've also tried both sources enough times before opining below.

The sample[s] [from TPC] had the citrus [orange] and the oud notes a little louder. That made it a tad, just a tad disharmonious and louder in the beginning, with the advantages of:

- seeming more masculine (at least wearable by a man in discreet quantity)

- having more of a multifaceted evolution... it was really one of the most enticingly kaleidoscopic things I've sniffed

Now to the bottle: it ALSO smells great but a little different... more unified, more harmonious, but also more linear. The note which is predominant here from the beginning is the rose... one of the most beautiful rose notes imaginable. No citrus(y) burst, no slightly pungent oud-ness. Very different but on a par quality-wise with Windsor.

I'd lie to say that the full bottle version I have now is worse in any way... but it smells noticeably more feminine, to the point I'm a little afraid to wear it other than for myself. There is a slight "Joy by Patou" - at a superior level of quality - aura to it... so in what regards wearability/masculinity I'd have preferred the fragrance as I knew it from the sample. This one on the other hand smells just perfect in itself, as a work of art, as if there would be nothing possible to improve on it.

I wonder whether this has to do with natural extracts, different years "crops" or something....
    Last edited by Addict; 10th August 2010 at 06:37 AM.

Default Re: Reflections on Homage

I ahve no idea , as everyones experience is unique but without a doubt it is one of the most perfect fragrances I have smelt . I dont get a huge amount of longevity from it , maybe 7 hours tops but its a joy to wear from start to finish

Interesting observation, Addict, I've had a similar experience with their Tribute - two very different frags from different batches, one has a much livelier frankincense and fresher, higher pitched rose note than the other which was very balanced, harmonious but somehow "asleep" compared to the very much "awake" beauty of the other batch. I guess variations in ingredient oils must be responsible for these differences.

Okay...I read the description of this stuff on Luckyscent, and I was like okay, at some point I may have to try it, even though I fear it may be oversaturated with rose. However...when I saw the price of this stuff, and then especially the 30 ml Tribute attar, at $350 and $650, respectively, I was really turned off. Borderline disgusted, really. You know...when I first joined Basenotes, I thought Creeds were expensive at $150+ a pop. Now here we have some supposedly super-concentrated perfume oil that these crazy money hungry ass people have the audacity to put 12 mothafuggin mls of the fragrance in a tiny ass jar and sell it for $350!!! I mean, seriously. What the hell is going on??? Talk about excessively exorbitant!!! Absolutely ridiculous!!! I'm thinking of my favorite two fragrances, and you know what...I would NEVER pay $350 for 12 lousy ass mls of the stuff!!! I mean...I am absolutely disgusted by the pricing. I don't care how many damn roses they stuffed into the attar. It is just too much!!!

I recently sampled Reflection, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! But if they messed around and tried to price 12 mls of a more concentrated version of it for this much money, man...I don't know what I would do. And you guys, I know, I know, I am on a bit of a rant. But I know I cannot be alone on this sentiment. Sheesh!

Larz, I understand how you feel but this stuff really IS potent. You simply cannot use anywhere near as much of it as you would with any other fragrance. Where other frags need a spray or two, Homage literally needs only ONE or maybe two swipes of the little dabber stick from a sample vial - any more than that and you are getting into cloying territory.

So, in essence, the 12mls you get will easily last you as long as a 100ml bottle of anything else. Perhaps even longer.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

As Sculpture adequately suggests, quantity is deceiving in this case. From one ml sample I got +- 50 uses, without economizing... still have a little.

This 12 ml attar offers a lot more usage than the median 100 ml EdT.
    Last edited by Addict; 10th August 2010 at 06:38 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I got my sample from luckyscent and expected more rose to be honest. I didn't get any aspect of 'Joy' by Jean Patou from it. It was really much more masculine than I thought it would be ,more citrussy ,more after shave - like. That sounds terrible but honestly, that is what came across. Longevity was not bad but not great.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Mimi, that sounds like the *samples* I have/had... my first impression was "soap" (what you call "[after]shave") - expensive, luxurious soap, yet soap.

The *bottle* truly has rose predominating... one finally understands what the big deal about the "whole field of Taifi roses" and the rest of the propaganda sheet is about.

However, honestly I would want to have a "soapier," more citrusy, more masculine bottle... in terms of wearability by a man.
    Last edited by Addict; 10th August 2010 at 06:43 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    Mimi, that sounds like the samples I have/had... my first impression was "soap" (what you call "shave") - expensive, luxurious soap, yet soap.

The bottle has rose predominating... one finally understands what the big deal about the "whole field of Taifi roses" is about.
    Isn't that weird , Addict ?? The samples are not true representations of the scent in general ? I would love to have experienced the 'real' Homage' .......

Mimi, not sure what the "real" Homage is... probably both versions... I can only speculate there may be some difference between the 2008 and 2009 crops.

I suspect I've got a 2009 bottle. [Darkish-reddish (beautiful) woody-looking box... wasn't the first generation in white boxes?]

It's my favourite scent.

Mine came in a white box - about a year ago. Rose first and foremost but add a clear azure blue sky. However a good friend (my reality check lady) did use the soap word . . . in a good way.

Larwiz - it is dear but worth it to me - a year in and I have hardly made a dent in the bottle. If you really want to give your blood pressure a lift try exploring some of the threads related to middle eastern perfumery (or attars as they are known). Prices for various ouds and rose extracts seem to be as stratospheric as the feeling Homage evokes in me . . . I am keeping well away

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    It's my favourite scent.

Rose first and foremost but add a clear azure blue sky . . . however a good friend (my reality check lady) did use the soap word.

Larwiz - it is dear but worth it to me. If you want to give your blood pressure a lift explore some of the threads related to middle eastern perfumery (or attars as they seem to be known). Prices for various ouds and rose extracts seem to be as stratospheric as the feeling Homage evokes in me . . . I am keeping well away
    Definitely if I had got what you get from it,. Mr. Reasonable, I would have bought the bottle !
    Addict- hmmmmm, makes me want to try Homage again - see if I get something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    ... However...when I saw the price of this stuff, and then especially the 30 ml Tribute attar, at $350 and $650, respectively, I was really turned off. Borderline disgusted, really. You know...when I first joined Basenotes, I thought Creeds were expensive at $150+ a pop. Now here we have some supposedly super-concentrated perfume oil that these crazy money hungry ass people have the audacity to put 12 mothafuggin mls of the fragrance in a tiny ass jar and sell it for $350!!!
    I hear you man, but as others pointed out 1ML of pure concentrated oil is not the same as 1ML of highly diluted EDT/EDP, you'll get way way more mileage from the oil. But if you find the price of Amouage attars exuberant, I'd strongly caution you against ever checking out prices for pure oud oils, or under any circumstances clicking on this link

I bought Homage and even though it is a very beautiful scent I found it to be to feminine to wear and ended up giving it to my girlfriend. I used to mix it with Creeds Boi Du Portugal to beef it up so to speak and it worked quite well. The Rose in Homage and the woods of Portugal mixed quite well. As Homage is a oil I am not surprised that there is slight variations between batches. I guess it's easier to get a synthetic formula more precise than the natural ingredients that are in the oil especially as it is so concentrated.

It's my favourite scent.

Mine came in a white box - about a year ago. Rose first and foremost but add a clear azure blue sky. However a good friend (my reality check lady) did use the soap word . . . in a good way.
    Does it have that initial citrusy-woody burst or does it start almost linearly with semi-sweet roses? Thanks... ( :
    Last edited by Addict; 10th August 2010 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    Does it have that initial citrusy-woody burst or does it start almost linearly with semi-sweet roses? Thanks... ( :
    It certainly has an opening. The rose is there and there's a sort of a shimmer that hovers for a few minutes but not overtly citrus or wood though, as I know them. Maybe it's the oud saying hallo, altho, to be honest I don't see this as an oud scent at all. Someone, somewhere also mentioned aldehydes in Homage (surprised me when I saw that and haven't seen it since) so maybe there is something in there to kick start the show. I really dunno. But, yes, there is a sparkly mystery burst and I leant in close and it has a slight 'catch the back of the throat' mild raspy thing, but within a few minutes it's gone - the scent settles in for the long haul, basically.

Maybe you are picking up on the 'nod to western tastes' as LT put it - the citrus and sandalwood they call Al Andalus? The thing is, I bought Al Andalus and I don't perceive it as a personality in Homage, which probably just means that this thing is so beautifully blended it defies taking apart - certainly for someone like me, anyway.

It's possible Christopher Chong will be here to launch the Opus trio in a couple of weeks - I'll try to quiz him about Homage if I get a chance.

Basenotes Institution

Maybe you are picking up on the 'nod to western tastes' as LT put it - the citrus and sandalwood they call Al Andalus?
    Seems that this is what I may have picked up on too. Thanks for this !

Mr. Reasonable, thanks for yours.

The whole purpose of my post was to distinguish between the two "versions" of Homage I've experienced -- in depth and paying a lot of attention. If I wasn't clear, I'll try to synthesize further:

1) cleaner, soapier, citrusier, woodier, more vivid, more evolving, less rosy, more masculine

2) softer, darker, more consistent, less evolving, rose-dominated, almost no citrus, gentle, more feminine... perhaps superior in an abstract, artistic way, but not so easy to wear for a guy (imho)

It seems our Mimi tried the first one... still not sure about you but I suspect you too... as you have the original, white box... thanks a bunch for your descriptions nevertheless... ( :

I am 100% positive Luca Turin talked about the original "limited" edition.

Now, unless I am mistaken Amouage Homage came out in [at least] two "editions" :

- the white box (limited edition, as it was called at the time, ~2008), with the name Homage actually put on the box;

- a further edition in a faux-woody-darker box [2009 or later], with the name Homage only present on the wrapping cellophane.

The sample-offering sites such as The Perfumed Court must have had the older edition, at least until recently. LuckyScent was out-of-stock completely for a while so, today, it is likely they've got the new version and the new version only.

If my instinct is right these two editions correspond to the two fragrant versions I have talked about. I am not certain though, I am speculating.

What I am not speculating about: the difference between the two forms of Homage [that I know of] is NOT trivial, beautiful as they both are. The first one is clearly and successfully unisex - something which is not macho, but almost "beyond sexuality" in potential usage. (Hillaire's review of it is my favorite review of any perfume ever, together with Dullah's review of Windsor.) The second one (the one I have a whole bottle of) veers quite strongly to the feminine side. It smells fantastic but not like what I expected. It's something more to smell than to smell on myself.

Part of it could be that Tribute did not exist yet in 2008... so Homage would have been thought as unisex then, and as the feminine counterpart of Tribute now. Or there may be just, as some say, some undeliberate variance in the nuances of the raw materials/oils etc.

Thanks for reading (-:.

I am not always so obnoxiously hair-splitting.... but I feel this particular perfume deserves this kind of attention.

PS To my (not awfully educated) nose there're no aldehydes whatsoever in Homage, either version. In terms of naturalness, I found it unspeakably superior to Amouage EdP's and possibly better than most Creeds (which I'll still love).
    Last edited by Addict; 10th August 2010 at 06:47 PM.

Well, I'm intrigued - I'd like to try the one in the darker box at some point. Good luck solving the mystery

Today I experienced once again: I put just a little more than usual from the sample on my right wrist and as little as possible from the bottle (which is not easy... I reiterate it even more strongly, these 12 ml provide a lot more applications than 150 ml of EdP - not even to mention EdT - especially as I privilege discretion in all applications) on my left wrist.

I am not retracting altogether my picky analysis from before but I have to be honest to my fellow basenoters: if the quantities are well-matched (for some reason quantity counts A LOT when it comes to attars), the differences are clearly subtler than claimed by me in previous postings.

Thank God. I was just *about* to order a "white box Homage" as well... which would have been not only excessive but also a little freaky... (-:
    Last edited by Addict; 12th August 2010 at 02:54 AM.

Hey guys. Okay, so after reading some of the responses, I am convinced that the 12 mls goes a very long way. But the price is still astronomical. lol

Larwiz, no problem, the price is big, no question about it. Worth it, not worth it, it's an individual decision.

Just wanted to say that SculptureOS did not exaggerate one bit about how much usage one gets. It's actually impossible to put too little of it on, while it's very easy to put too much.

Can't wait to wear this in the winter... somehow I suspect I'll like it (even) more.

Hillaire

Addict, firstly, thank you so much for the lovely compliment!

Larwiz, I can attest to being personally indignant about the prices of some perfumes! I regard the specious claims and price-inflation of certain houses as blatant highway robbery!
    But I tend to come around to the conclusion that we collectors are a weird and quirky breed. And that personal tastes and notions of worth are ultimately really subjective.

And to me, personally, Homage is like a rare vintage of fine wine, a true delight to own, and frankly it offers me as much pleasure and inspiration as three hundred something dollars (less in UK) can.

Now I want to smell the more rosy, 'ladylike' one....

BTW, Tribute gets a lot of press on the men's forum, and I personally find it more feminine and rose-heavy than Homage, despite its strong smoked accord. i

Basenotes Institution

Addict- that was a very good post and I enjoyed reading it. It clarifies a few things re. Homage ,for me. I want to try the rosy version now. But I don't think I ever will. Anyways, if Amouage ever bring out a really rose dominated attar - I will be diving in ,no doubt.