Code of Conduct

Thread: Bleu de Chanel

Default Bleu de Chanel

"Fresh, clean, sexual..."

mehhh I don't need another fresh clean BLUE cologne.. I want something more unique. Please stop trying to please the masses!! Ralph Lauren and many others beat you to playing the Blue card years ago. Blahhh.

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel

well, we dont need another "fresh" fragance., but do we need another " woody-spicy-floral" ?? the problem is not the category..in each olfative families we find great or fragances totally a disaster.. im trying to be positive to this chanel. I hope to try it soon.

Tried it at Nordstrom today. Wasn't bad, but it smelled like any other half a dozen fresh / citrus / aquatic fragrances on their shelves. I really liked the bottle, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    Tried it at Nordstrom today. Wasn't bad, but it smelled like any other half a dozen fresh / citrus / aquatic fragrances on their shelves. I really liked the bottle, though.
    You know what? I said the same thing when I first sprayed it on. However, after a few hours, this scent really blooms nicely. I will be getting a bottle as a gift from a friend on release day.

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    You know what? I said the same thing when I first sprayed it on. However, after a few hours, this scent really blooms nicely. I will be getting a bottle as a gift from a friend on release day.
    Hmm.. I'll have to give it another chance. To be fair, I was testing quite a few other frags at the time and didn't give it a chance beyond my initial impression on a sprayer card.

That`s pity how one word (BLUE) made some of BNoters to hate the scent
    There`re not so many colours after all
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Blog Entries

I tried this sucker YET AGAIN today.

- I'm still not falling for it, but...
    - I really felt drawn to keep sniffing my hand
    - The drydown is really rather nice
    - I almost think that I'm anosmic to the main woody amber, which may be in certain other frags. I can detect that something is being sensed by my nose, but it doesn't register as anything. It's like a blank smell. VERY strange.

yeah, they think Blue = fresh = aqua= ...... you know...

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    yeah, they think Blue = fresh = aqua= ...... you know...

Bleu is just bland. Pleasantly bland, for sure, but it doesn't stick out in the sea of generically fresh-fruity-spicy-woody fragrances that are littering the shelves of department stores everywhere.

Tried it today with an open mind. The opening was pleasant, lemon, grapefruit, however after that faded it smells like a muted Bvlgari Aqua
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Now don't get me wrong. I love allure sport. And I like fresh fruity woody colognes. But that is all Chanel has been doing lately. I just want something new from them.

I have tried serveral times and I still think that Chanel can do much better ....
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I have allure sport and after smelling Bleu, I wish that I had held off on my purchase. Bleu is generic but appealing.

Blanche is the best one!

I like it a lot. Was bored with it on the blotter, but on my skin it came to life. I disagree with all the comparisons to the Allure line. Bleu is very well done indeed.

Maybe Chanel can do better, and maybe this won't go down as one of their "classic greats", but I liked it enough to get a small bottle. I think it smells great with good persistence.

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    Maybe Chanel can do better, and maybe this won't go down as one of their "classic greats", but I liked it enough to get a small bottle. I think it smells great with good persistence.
    I also liked it enough to buy a bottle. The girls love it!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    They could have even called it Purple de Chanel, it wouldn`t change the fact that what it`s inside of it smells boring and uninspired and lacks Chanel creativity that they used to put in the scents that they produced.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    They could have even called it Purple de Chanel, it wouldn`t change the fact that what it`s inside of it smells boring and uninspired and lacks Chanel creativity that they used to put in the scents that they produced.
    Yes, I know that we who like it are in the minority here.

How is its projection and longevity compared to the Allure line's?

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Yes, I know that we who like it are in the minority here.
    I have an impression that the likeXhate in this one is quite balanced

Sur la Plage

I think they should market Bleu de Chanel with a "bluish" Thomas Kinkade painting. I think they go quite well together.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have an impression that the likeXhate in this one is quite balanced
    I just remember that very long thread when it was first released... I was pretty alone in my like for it... people seem to be coming around to it more now.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think they should market Bleu de Chanel with a "bluish" Thomas Kinkade painting. I think they go quite well together.

That's the Kiss of Death!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post

"It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I just remember that very long thread when it was first released... I was pretty alone in my like for it... people seem to be coming around to it more now.
    I thought I made a mistake when I bought it on an impulse. I gave it a shot and was glad I did. I found that while I thought it had a mild, muddled nature at first, It really had a personality that shined when I wore it. I've gotten a ton of compliments and "oooh, what's that?" type of comments. It's deceptive, I think. One of the coolest things about Bleu de Chanel is the way the vetiver is played. I can't smell it at all in the composition for several hours-- then after maybe twelve hours or the next morning, it's morphed into a nutty, earthy vetiver skin scent like the drydown of Lanvin's newer Vetyver.

There is really something nice about the way this scent wears. Don't dismiss it too quickly. It's a really versatile scent that you may not find immediately exciting, but others who smell it on you definitely notice and enjoy. I often wear some edgy stuff and was kind of surprised at the number of enthusiastic comments I get on the supposedly lame Bleu de Chanel.

It's a grower.

I loved it from the first sniff. It's sad though that it has sucha poor longevity.

I got rid of mine nearly as quick as I bought it. My initial impressions were right, after all.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I thought I made a mistake when I bought it on an impulse. I gave it a shot and was glad I did. I found that while I thought it had a mild, muddled nature at first, It really had a personality that shined when I wore it. I've gotten a ton of compliments and "oooh, what's that?" type of comments. It's deceptive, I think. One of the coolest things about Bleu de Chanel is the way the vetiver is played. I can't smell it at all in the composition for several hours-- then after maybe twelve hours or the next morning, it's morphed into a nutty, earthy vetiver skin scent like the drydown of Lanvin's newer Vetyver.

There is really something nice about the way this scent wears. Don't dismiss it too quickly. It's a really versatile scent that you may not find immediately exciting, but others who smell it on you definitely notice and enjoy. I often wear some edgy stuff and was kind of surprised at the number of enthusiastic comments I get on the supposedly lame Bleu de Chanel.

It's a grower.
    Wore it more than once. Found it weak, uninspired, similar to Dior Homme Sport, similar to Allure, similar to Lalique Equus, similar to L'Homme. Didn't receive any comment from any person - and even a chemical ambrox fragrance like Le Labo Another 13 was able to generate comments. So this one is a big NO for me. I wore it more than once, but Blue is just Bleh for me.

I've sort of rethought this one after smelling it again today and I think I understand it. Put it into context... ITS CHANEL! Think about what Chanel's all about: Timeless, classy, understated, etc. We're all searching for the next big wild groundbreaking thing and that's really the oposite of what Chanel as a house is all about. I think the frag is reasonably boring, but very well made and it could have come out 20 years ago and will still smell "right" 20 years from now. It's completely immune to fashion, it's a stylish, understated classy scent. It's not for someone who asks for attention, it's for someone who always just gets it anyway. Just a thought.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Not entirely alone - I stand by my initial assessment. Not a new concept but the best of its type I have smelled, with some fantastic notes (love the bergamot) and very smooth development. It manages to be "blue" without smelling too synthy or chemical. some really nice woody notes later on too..
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Wear it a lot. Like it even more now. Partly because I needed something this versatile in my 'drobe and bleu just happened to fit the bill. People do notice it, and 8/10 times will ask what Im wearing.
    The sprayer is good, maybe too good lol. Huge, thick spritz. Im through about a quarter of my bottle already.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I've sort of rethought this one after smelling it again today and I think I understand it. Put it into context... ITS CHANEL! Think about what Chanel's all about: Timeless, classy, understated, etc. We're all searching for the next big wild groundbreaking thing and that's really the oposite of what Chanel as a house is all about. I think the frag is reasonably boring, but very well made and it could have come out 20 years ago and will still smell "right" 20 years from now. It's completely immune to fashion, it's a stylish, understated classy scent. It's not for someone who asks for attention, it's for someone who always just gets it anyway. Just a thought.
    This.
    I did like it from the first sniff though.

I stuck up for it in the thread. I still haven't purchased a bottle but it does great on me and I think it is great for work and for an everyday scent.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 4th November 2010 at 05:29 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Not entirely alone - I stand by my initial assessment.
    Actually I meant that I seemed to be in the minority... not "alone." I misspoke.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm pretty enamored with the stuff at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    LMAO

Takophobe!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post

It's a grower.
    Yes - that's what's neat about it. It's subtle overall, but at odd moments it just zaps out of nowhere - many hours later, or even the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Siifter View Post
    I loved it from the first sniff. It's sad though that it has sucha poor longevity.
    Give it some time to spot it later. It's odd, but the whiffs will come back periodically for many hours. I've smelled it on shirts several days later.

I think you got it. That really IS the Chanel style.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Not entirely alone - I stand by my initial assessment. Not a new concept but the best of its type I have smelled, with some fantastic notes (love the bergamot) and very smooth development. It manages to be "blue" without smelling too synthy or chemical. some really nice woody notes later on too..
    Yes - there is a guaiac wood note later on that is nicely noticeable, yet still very well wrapped in sweet and powdery stuff so that it never seems to leave Chanel territory.

Quote Originally Posted by FragDeck View Post
    Wear it a lot. Like it even more now. Partly because I needed something this versatile in my 'drobe and bleu just happened to fit the bill. People do notice it, and 8/10 times will ask what Im wearing.
    The sprayer is good, maybe too good lol. Huge, thick spritz. Im through about a quarter of my bottle already.
    Same here - lots of compliments. I'm just short of half-way through my bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I stuck up for it in the thread. I still haven't purchased a bottle but it does great on me and I think it is great for work and for an overday scent.
    Yes - it's a great all-around scent, and it seems to be year-round as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FragDeck View Post
    No offense but I hope you realize that "8/10 times (ppl) will ask what I'm wearing" sounds slightly exaggerated. 1/10 would already be a pretty solid ratio if you actually see people during the day and don't stay at home.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

You've hit it exactly on the head here. Very well said!

I think it`s quite the opposite here. The just picked whatever they had there, combined with all the trends and said: It`s Chanel! We can launch even a bottled water in form of Fragrance that lots of people will tell it`s timeless classy, understated.
    Bleu it`s as classy as those people which only tries to have class without having any one at all. There is a line that separates timeless and forgetable, and blue the chanel misses the timeless line by miles. If it were launched 20 years ago, it`d have been a flop, and launched now it only just another fresh woody fragrance. Maybe it`s immune to fashion because there`s no fashion here, just a copy of tendencies - it could have been Bleu de Zara, for example. It draws so musch attention as an accountant man.

I think it`s quite the opposite here. The just picked whatever they had there, combined with all the trends and said: It`s Chanel! We can launch even a bottled water in form of Fragrance that lots of people will tell it`s timeless classy, understated.
    Bleu it`s as classy as those people which only tries to have class without having any one at all. There is a line that separates timeless and forgetable, and blue the chanel misses the timeless line by miles. If it were launched 20 years ago, it`d have been a flop, and launched now it only just another fresh woody fragrance. Maybe it`s immune to fashion because there`s no fashion here, just a copy of tendencies - it could have been Bleu de Zara, for example. It draws so musch attention as an accountant man.
    So does that mean you don't like it?
    Last edited by mrclmind; 4th November 2010 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    No offense but I hope you realize that "8/10 times (ppl) will ask what I'm wearing" sounds slightly exaggerated. 1/10 would already be a pretty solid ratio if you actually see people during the day and don't stay at home.
    Theyre MOSTLY people I know (somewhat), though I did have a few complete strangers ask me about it, as well.

Sur la Plage

I hear is it quite popular in Stepford.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

So does that mean you don't like it?
    I think it means that i hate it from the bottom of my heart :P

Originally Posted by petruccijc
    Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    ummmm was that his point ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I hear is it quite popular in Stepford.
    *maniacal laughter*

(calms down)

My wife LOVES the new Bleu de Chanel. Would you care for a spray? It's very unexpected.

My wife LOVES the new Bleu de Chanel. Would you care for a spray? It's very unexpected.

Say - you haven't sprayed your Bleu de Chanel yet. You should really try it. It's very unexpected....

Robot rebellion led by sentient robot husband who used Marc Jacobs Bang succeeds briefly, but is put down and he is reconditioned. Cut to press conference in Chanel video. Bot-Boy remembers human wife who turned away from him when he gained conscience, and blonde hottie journalist who loved him as he was. He sits up. He leans toward the mike...

"I'm not going to be the person I'm expected to be any more."

Woo-hoo!

[Ahhh - what's the use. I sprayed some more on before bed. My owner really likes it. ]