Code of Conduct

Thread: Creed in NYPost

Default Creed in NYPost

An interesting look at the strategy behind Creeds growth which led to its no.1 perfume counter ranking at Neimans et al

Lesson: Eschew media marketing, focus on brand counters.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...C-rss&FEEDNAME=
    -

Default Re: Creed in NYPost

Good article.

The one idea that seemed off to me read "Fragrance sales tanked during the recession...". Actually, from what I have read here in other articles, the opposite seemed to be true.

Thank you for sharing !

Blog Entries

Very interesting. Yes - I think this explains why the Creed SAs are so good. Thanks for the post!

Creed does have some of the most helpful and well-informed SA's I've ever done business with.

That said, the Post article unwittingly highlights the real reason for the company's success: its uncanny ability to get media outlets to refer to Creed products as "all-natural" (they aren't) and constantly repeat the intriguing yet unverifiable claims that Creed fragrances were worn and favored by the likes of Queen Victoria, Winston Churchill, and Napoleon III. (One wonders why JFK, Marlene Dietrich, and Cary Grant weren't trotted out for this article as well.)

While some of their fragrances do stand very well on their own (e.g., GIT, Bois de Portugal, etc.), it's Creed's mastery in creating a certain kind of exclusive brand identity which truly sets it apart from its competition.

That was an interesting read thanks for sharing.
    Who Else Loves Discontinued Perfumes?

What's amazing here: an ad-driven newspaper is running a story about how you don't really have to buy their overpriced advertising to be successful. I wonder how their sales managment feels about this story. . .

Only 35 employees...le's see... 12 for shipping & packaging, 6 management, 4 marketing & website and stuff, 1 janitor, 1 IT admin, 1 perfumer and the remaining 10 mixing fragrances in erwin creed's kitchen... ;-)

Considering the size of the company, another major reason for Creed's current success might be the admiration and cheap advertising it gets here on basenotes. Without Basenotes, I would have never heard of Creed. Creed isn't nearly as popular on other fragrance related forums.
    Last edited by hedgehog; 14th September 2010 at 08:24 AM.

Thanks for the link.

It's quite shocking to realize that Creed is running the whole show with a mere 35 employees.
    Just goes to show, cutting costs is still the best mantra towards organisational success.

By the way, does anyone have veritable figures of how much is Creed's annual sales?